Petition to bring back the Old Bell

Should Old-bell be "revived"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Add Old Bell back to DST?

• Yes
    • No

In Don't Starve (single player), the Old Bell is one of the most interesting features of Reign of Giants DLC. However, sadly it got removed in DST because Klei is afraid of griefers in public servers in a co-op game. By that logic, torches and hammer should also be removed because it can be made in day 1 and there's NOTHING you can do to prevent people from burning down your base.

Even when your base got burnt down, the roll-back feature can restore it. The same can be applied to Old Bell.

The old bell, however, can only be made by learning ONE blueprint from the glommer statue, and is only craftable every 20 days, from day 11 onwards. 

I don't think any developer should remove a feature from a game because of things stupid people do in PUBLIC servers and affect the vast majority of player-base, especially in a coop game - which most players play privately with their friends. We have reached the end of A New Reign dlc, but Klei has not done anything about Glommer, leaving its materials still as useless as ever.

Edit: Wow, I went away for a day and this thread became a mess. This thread's original purpose is for people to cast votes on the poll and maybe state their opinions, not to incite wars.

Maybe they could enable it in pvp servers? If they are not going to add glommer, maybe they can make something else out of the glommer wings. For instance, you could craft glomglom with the wings, or it could be a material for armor or something.

A wild troll suddenly appears in middle of base; rings the bell: hello no-more-base! *trollface*

Thus NO, thank you :applouse:

And yes, something can be done against pyro/hammering griefers: make a certain radius around spawn gate in which players cannot place spider eggs and/or walls, make built structures deconstructible by builder-only and/or with said builder acknowledgement, and do a special animation for when someone tries to burn a structure in same manner as to when trying the resurrection of Abigail - at last moment character stops saying something like "No, can't do stuff so vile bla-bla" (at least in the case of non-PvP matches).

Was thinking about this the other day, if it were ever to be allowed it should be something like a world gen option and be default set to off, so only people who are knowledgeable about what they're getting into will enable it. At the end of the day, the torch and hammer do the same thing just in different ways so its not like we're keeping back the only method of greifing out of the game. Still despite this it's understandable why it's not in DST.

10 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

A wild troll suddenly appears in middle of base; rings the bell: hello no-more-base! *trollface*

Thus NO, thank you :applouse:

Seems like you only read the title and not the rest just like how you read online "clickbait" newspaper everyday.

Torches and hammers DO THE SAME THING.

The old bell, however, can only be made by learning ONE blueprint

10 minutes ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Was thinking about this the other day, if it were ever to be allowed it should be something like a world gen option and be default set to off, so only people who are knowledgeable about what they're getting into will enable it. At the end of the day, the torch and hammer do the same thing just in different ways so its not like we're keeping back the only method of greifing out of the game. Still despite this it's understandable why it's not in DST.

I agree with this. In this situation, everybody wins.

19 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

And yes, something can be done against pyro/hammering griefers: make a certain radius around spawn gate in which players cannot place spider eggs and/or walls, make built structures deconstructible by builder-only and/or with said builder acknowledgement, and do a special animation for when someone tries to burn a structure in same manner as to when trying the resurrection of Abigail - at last moment character stops saying something like "No, can't do stuff so vile bla-bla" (at least in the case of non-PvP matches).

You edited it after I pointed you out.

I am taking about making game features great again, not leave it in darkness!

You_Were_The_Chosen_One.jpg

25 minutes ago, Zeruul said:

Torches and hammers DO THE SAME THING.

The old bell, however, can only be made by learning ONE blueprint

Read again my comment, the added part about a proposed quick-solve of them burners/hammering maniacs.

And sure, give the proverbial BFG to 1-guy-only, the one that will surely specialize in 'hunting' Glommer statue and such... in PvP matches. Just because. Leave the rest of us with an (much desired) troll-free environment as we have enough of said pyromaniacs, hammer-lovers etc - you know, 'sane' people that "just wanna see the world burning" - to watch out now for TheTerrorGiantSkyFoot that obliterates not just base but all around it - including other players in AoE.

I also think the Old Bell should be implemented again.

23 minutes ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

As this person said. Make it an option for us single and co-op players and people who know how to handle this. Leave it unusable on the public servers and everyone should be happy.

3 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Read again my comment, the part about a proposed quick-solve of them burners/hammering maniacs.

And sure, give the proverbial BFG to 1-guy-only, the one that will surely specialize in 'hunting' Glommer statue and such... in PvP matches. Leave the rest of us with an (much desired) troll-free environment as we have enough of said pyromaniacs, hammer-lovers etc to watch out now for TheTerrorGiantSkyFoot that obliterates not just base but all around it.

Why do you always assume that the person with the blueprint will always the one griefing? Griefers usually join mid-game, when the old-bell BP should have been claimed.

I have already mention the roll-back feature to prevent griefing from torches and hammers, so there should not be a problem for the old bell.

Torch only cost 2 grasses and twigs, which are obviously far more abundant those materials for the old bell.

Coop games, especially DST, are designed to be played with friends. Which means it is obviously won't work well in public servers. Just because of stupid things people do in public servers, it should not means the feature should be removed. The old bell is one of the key features of Reign of Giants.

If you play in public servers, then you should always expect a griefer here and there.

8 minutes ago, Zeruul said:

..Coop games, especially DST, are designed to be played with friends. Which means it is obviously won't work well in public servers..

If you play in public servers, then you should always expect a griefer here and there.

If solid measures would be taken, easy trolling could not happen. And on public servers a game-changer weapon with huge damage is every troll's wet dream. Sure, be it available, as previous posters wrote, for private/personal servers and maybe PvP, but not for public dedicated ones. "Making game features great again" as you put it (with blonde wig, small hands and all that ;) ).

Just in case someone is wondering (I was) when/why they removed it in the first place

Regarding the old bell in particular: We think Bigfoot is awesome, we're just not sure if or how he's going to fit into the new ecosystem. We'd rather it be a fun mechanic that all players can enjoy rather than something restricted to users playing in a certain way. We don't know what the solution will be but for the time being Bigfoot has been removed.

MAYBE THIS IS THE TIME

Yes, absolutely ! Here's why I think it won't be much of a problem regarding griefing :

- We're almost just as powerless against torches and hammers as against the old bell ;

- It's hard to get, you may as well get the flower or the blue print before a griefer (only one of these items is enough to avoid destruction), you can keep the flower or give it to someone you trust ;

- Griefer's psychology : I think a destructive mind-set is something relatively direct, spontaneous, "intuitive", not really the kind of things that gets someone into elaborating a destructive plan that requires that many steps and knowledge.

So I'm pretty sure Old Bell griefing will be rare. 

idk - when I played DS the Old Bell was such an op item.  It's super easy to use, does tons of damage...  We just got a nerf for stacks of gunpowder, why would we bring back an item that is worse?

They should certainly make a new use out of the glommer loot, but I wouldn't like Old Bell coming to DST.

12 hours ago, Zeruul said:

In Don't Starve (single player), the Old Bell is one of the most interesting features of Reign of Giants DLC. However, sadly it got removed in DST because Klei is afraid of griefers in public servers in a co-op game. By that logic, torches and hammer should also be removed because it can be made in day 1 and there's NOTHING you can do to prevent people from burning down your base.

Even when your base got burnt down, the roll-back feature can restore it. The same can be applied to Old Bell.

The old bell, however, can only be made by learning ONE blueprint from the glommer statue, and is only craftable every 20 days, from day 11 onwards. 

I don't think any developer should remove a feature from a game because of things stupid people do in PUBLIC servers and affect the vast majority of player-base, especially in a coop game - which most players play privately with their friends. We have reached the end of A New Reign dlc, but Klei has not done anything about Glommer, leaving its materials still as useless as ever.

I previously suggested that since the blueprint system would make some issues with crafting it and since that way someone might be able to craft it easily and destroy things, the old bell should be craftable via the ancient pseudo station instead. It is the OLD bell, after all.

If so many people MUST have this bazooka-killing-giants, at least make it REALLY HARD to be obtained by anyone: don't just mine the Glommer's Statue for its blueprint, make it an exclusively craftable item at Ancient Pseudoscience Station or the like (I mean you get the Thulecite Club - 59.5 dmg - there and you want a 1000 dmg weapon for a trivial "walk in the park" mining-and-killing-passive-Glommer business?!); this way only the competent, dedicated and prepared players will obtain it as in "earning the rights to use" it manner. With this the number of possible trolls going for it will mostly dwindle to maybe...none?! And you could even have it in public pubs, no further UI/filters being needed. Fair, right?!

I miss that bell, how about make them only usable by the one who crafted it?, or something like that, maybe the blueprint could give you the capacity for make it and use it, then you could store your harmless bells in your base without fear

3 hours ago, Arcainewave5555 said:

n this world why must this be a poll

Its an easier way to get a cross the board readings and be more of a reading for those you want it or not because many read threads but don't comment.

3 hours ago, Arcainewave5555 said:

or debate? :wilson_cry:

Because While some issues can be very black and white most aren't
So you often have to debate whether a option is a good option and what it does and what problems it may cause.

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

idk - when I played DS the Old Bell was such an op item.  It's super easy to use, does tons of damage...  We just got a nerf for stacks of gunpowder, why would we bring back an item that is worse?

They should certainly make a new use out of the glommer loot, but I wouldn't like Old Bell coming to DST.

Gunpowder was much more effective than the old bell for killing giants because there's less variables. With the old bell, you have to time it perfectly or just hope to get lucky, you have to make sure there's no structures around for several screen lengths, and so on. Old bell's best purpose IMO was tree farming, which is what I would use it for if they brought it back.

Archived