These Hallowed Nights

15 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Aww, whoa, whoa, whoa, don't cry, what's the matter?

Childhood that every year just wanted to go to the streets. Trick or treat? (I'm not sure how it would be in English) Good, like in films ♥  

8 minutes ago, athiim said:

Childhood that every year just wanted to go to the streets. Trick or treat? (I'm not sure how it would be in English) Good, like in films ♥  

Yes, trick or treat!

Believe me, we're in the same boat. Don't worry, don't starve ;)

Just now, Net Spectre said:

No one celebrates Halloween here. I have never trick or treated in my life, I'm dead inside... *drama rays*

Well, I don't celebrate, this country here I exclusively remain in during the time has no tradition of it, YET since a few years, we've been getting adolescent punks ringing all the time IN SPITE OF ME AND MY NEIGHBOURS TELLING THEM POLITELY IT'S NOT OUR FESTIVAL.

They demolished my elderly neighbour's flowerbeds in retaliation once. And ringing like this drives my dog crazy, causing him health issues. So we're in the same boat.

But I'm wearing the costumes in DST!

59 minutes ago, Net Spectre said:

No one celebrates Halloween here. I have never trick or treated in my life, I'm dead inside... *drama rays*

Welp, we don't have Halloween here, officially. But I was celebrating it like 7 years in a row anyway. Me and my friends were proud ones that started doing that first in our town. I've heard a stories about crazy people treathening kids with water or stuff like 'Go to church hurr durr', I almost got exorcised myself xD

How to celebrate Halloween as an adult and/or living in another country:

Go to the store and buy some candy of your choice

Return home then begin eating all of it within the next few days

Congratulations. You've just celebrated the best part of Halloween as an adult.

We don't have Halloween officialy, but there's related merchandise everywhere.

We do have something similar on the 11th of November, which is on my brother's birthday. That day also shares the same name as mine. St. Maarten.

Sadly, we don't have that many children on our street anymore, so it kind off died out where I live. But I'll explain anyway.

When the day is nearing, the children make lanterns out of paper-maché, and take those around the street at St. Maarten's Eve. They sing a song dedicated to this day, and get a reward in the form of candy. As a tradition, we also carve a pumpkin like you would for Halloween, and put those outside the door. They get smelly real soon, but the children usually don't mind. 

When there are no more children around, the adults gather round and nom all the remaining candy. 

This all happens in the Netherlands, if you're wondering

42 minutes ago, WishIHadAFridge said:

We don't have Halloween officialy, but there's related merchandise everywhere.

We do have something similar on the 11th of November, which is on my brother's birthday. That day also shares the same name as mine. St. Maarten.

Sadly, we don't have that many children on our street anymore, so it kind off died out where I live. But I'll explain anyway.

When the day is nearing, the children make lanterns out of paper-maché, and take those around the street at St. Maarten's Eve. They sing a song dedicated to this day, and get a reward in the form of candy. As a tradition, we also carve a pumpkin like you would for Halloween, and put those outside the door. They get smelly real soon, but the children usually don't mind. 

When there are no more children around, the adults gather round and nom all the remaining candy. 

This all happens in the Netherlands, if you're wondering

It's kinda sad that this died out so soon with us. But we have carnaval for dressing up at least. That's something. 

6 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Just out of curiosity, after the event ends, will we still be able to spawn the seasonal trinkets in through the console as admins? Or will they get removed from the code?

There's a new events option in world creation. So if you make a world and set it to hallowed nights then I'm sure you'll have access to all the candy all year. So it looks like this holiday content is going to stick around and even be accessible whenever you'd like.

19 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

There's a new events option in world creation. So if you make a world and set it to hallowed nights then I'm sure you'll have access to all the candy all year. So it looks like this holiday content is going to stick around and even be accessible whenever you'd like.

REALLY???

Look-at-this-face-and-try-to-say-no-peng

Superb.

3 minutes ago, l96735063 said:

I just want to know this Halloween night, that is, a small toy on the map and swine exchange of candy this model is not permanent?
Or will this mode be off after Halloween? Everyone likes to eat sugar

7 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Hmm... my take on Halloween this year is a little... different.

I haven't normally celebrated it as my parents say "it's an american thing" which i guess is true, but hey. Steam sales. Costumes. CANDY!! Or should I say lollies. Sorry! Can't say candy! It's american!

Anyway, there was recently a bunch of people dressed as clowns were chasing people around, jumping out from behind things etc. There is a low crime rate around where I live, so i guess the police are looking for something to do, so they are on the lookout for anyone dressed as a clown, so no clowns this Halloween.

Also... does Ghostface (from the scream movies) count as a clown? Hmm... 

This is from Australia, if you were wondering.

EDIT: Also... Yeey! 200th post. 2/3 of the way to becoming a Senior Member! i guess...

Wow.  All of this is reminding me how fortunate I am to be an American (in this case)!  It's gotta be hard...the internet has made it so that EVERYBODY all over the world hears about our holidays, to _death_...but only some of them get to actually play along. If I kept hearing about something that sounded this cool that I couldn't do and nobody else around me could do, I would be so sad...  :(  In the older days it wouldn't have been as hard--you'd know that other countries' holidays are a thing, but you wouldn't have advertisements for it and stories about it shoved into your face all day long. 

For me, the best part of Halloween isn't really the candy--you can get candy in general all year long (although special Halloweeny-themed treats are only available in the stores during October, more or less.  Also there are certain kinds I deliberately only get at Halloween to keep them special) but the whole atmosphere--the spookiness, the crisp fall nights, the colours...and of course, THE COSTUMES!  If you live someplace in the world that doesn't celebrate it/are an adult without kids, here's what I'd do:

--Ask your adult friends if they're interested and throw a Halloween party.  All you really need for this is other adults in costume, some treats, and maybe some spooky music/a creepy movie.  This can work almost anywhere 'cos it doesn't involve kids trick-or-treating (a practice that has been going down, sadly, for a while...but seems to be starting to make a comeback where I live.  I hope.)  If you _can_ find Halloween-ish decorations good, but that's not necessary.  One of the main things that makes the holiday fun is getting to be creative and express yourself with a costume. 

--The nice thing is, since there isn't actually a specific day that you "have" to celebrate this by in a country that...normally doesn't celebrate it, you can do this on whatever day is the most appropriate for everyone's work schedules and such!  Just make sure it's in fall so you've got the temperature and atmosphere right.  And hey, if it's not a school-night you can even invite the kids!  (If not, you can do Grown-Up Halloween, aka get drunk.)

--In Australia/elsewhere in the southern hemisphere, I guess this'd be around Easter-ish.  But hey, what's wrong with creepy bunnies;)

After you've got your friends, your costumes and your time for the party set up...THEN you can pig out on candy!  But also be sure to have more than you actually need, as holiday leftovers are one of the best things ever.  :p

...Notorious

2 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

Also... does Ghostface (from the scream movies) count as a clown? Hmm... 

Dress as an atom. They are everywhere, you will blend right in.

-IM-AN-ATOM-penguins-of-madagascar-20528

2 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

This is from Australia, if you were wondering.

AKA the Place Where I Would Spend Christmas if I Had the Health and Money??? My... you're a lucky cookie.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(If not, you can do Grown-Up Halloween, aka get drunk.)

Pfft. Who cares for alcoholic beverages when there are so superior forms of entertainment around?

Guess some do where "some" stands for "not me".

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Wow.  All of this is reminding me how fortunate I am to be an American (in this case)!  It's gotta be hard...the internet has made it so that EVERYBODY all over the world hears about our holidays, to _death_...but only some of them get to actually play along. If I kept hearing about something that sounded this cool that I couldn't do and nobody else around me could do, I would be so sad...  :(  In the older days it wouldn't have been as hard--you'd know that other countries' holidays are a thing, but you wouldn't have advertisements for it and stories about it shoved into your face all day long. 

You're right about the widespread American holidays. Just globalisation (and the issue with Halloween in Europe is the fact it has no cultural roots there, instead artificially hyped by businesses wishing to make a quick killing).

However if we're at holidays, there's a lot many Americans and not only don't know about. Scandinavian countries have the Feast of Saint Lucy, for one. Central Europe? An actual tradition of kolędowanie, very old and varied. Who can't say no to a resplendent turoń or dziad? How about the entire wodehose tradition, awesomely creepy and right in our primal hearts, across the entirety of Europe, south to north, west to east? Don't you remember Fréger's photographs?

There's a lot of interesting stuff to be found outside the States. But the children would have to take a road less travelled. You have to make a turoń costume for yourself. A Hulk costume, you just buy.

PS Who wants to start a thread about customs in the off-topic section?

6 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

That reminds me:
Moana's Trailer: "In theaters this Thanksgiving!"
The rest of the world: "What the heck is Thanksgiving?"

8 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(If not, you can do Grown-Up Halloween, aka get drunk.)

I can't drink at aaaaaalll. Just a sip of beer, wine, champagne, and my body starts trying to murder me almost instantly. I won't even dare to touch the stronger stuff cause of this. Asian Flush (even though there is not a drop of an asian blood in my ansestry)? An allergy? Hell if I know.

And to be honest, one of my life mottos is - "There is always time for horror." Limiting it to autumn is too painful, really.

Archived