Why is Klei taking so much time to release new skins?

Title. What's up with all the cool skin concepts we've seen more than a year ago? There's tons and tons of items that would be in huge need of skins: lanterns, walking cane, spears, football helmet and new unique heads. How long has it been since the triumphant skins release?

It's been so long and I do not know what to think now: does klei have a huge batch of skins they plan to dump on us in one go, or just plan on keeping the current pace of releasing a new set every half year? If it is the later then I feel more and more disappointed because there's so much potential in reskining the base game and we've barely touched the surface now with the crockpots and firepits skins. Why 3 different firepits skins + the bedroll skin that nobody uses when there could have been 3-4 spears skins from which people could really choose from. And 2 torch skins which nobody really uses a few days in game once they get the lantern?

The bottom line is that I believe Klei should fasten up the pace at which they release new skins, in accordance with the price drop of skins on the market if necessary.

29 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

"Why 3 different firepits skins + the bedroll skin that nobody uses" 

Careful padna', the term "that nobody uses" be dangerous 'round here. Them be forum fightn' words.

And personally, I use the firepit skins and the bedroll one, and every time I've played online I've seen others using some sort of a firepit skin. I do think that the crock pot and torch ones look amazing (and hope every time I get a present that it'll be it, and I'll have some completion in my life) I always like the idea of more skins, but keep in mind that that's not the exact point of the game. I don't mean to come off as naggy, but you may have seen how much of a fuss people made when they originally added skins. While I like it when they add more, I think it's more of a side thing that they work on, rather than a priority.

That being said, if they were to add more skins, I'd be pretty happy with

- A tent skin that looks like an old boyscout tent

- The pioneer Woodie skin!!!

- A simple gray or green version of the winter cap

- Maybe some skins for Lucy? Like a rusted version.

- Werebeaver skins! Survival werebeaver would look amazing

They don't release new skins that often because they're busy with a much more meaningful thing which is A New Reign (on top of DST ports to consoles, DS for Android, Oxygen Not Included and what have you).

Moreover, a bit of weighing words would do us all good. I, for one, always use my tragic torch (for the looks because I'm cheap) and the bottomless firepit (again, this is an essential item and it looks the best, with minimonument following close by - I usually have my friend place minimonuments while I dish out bottomless firepits and various backpacks for people). @t0panka lent me his patchwork quilt so that I could see what it looks like in the game and we literally went crazy with crafting furry bedrolls for the sake of those skins. So I'd disagree with as strong a statement as "nobody really uses".

We don't need more skins, really. We already have 4 collections, and tons of items not part of a collection. And if they put out skins too fast, alot of skins would take a LONG time before someone actually got it. The Catcoon backpack came out, like, two months ago i think, and its still really expensive and rare. Its better that they take time before pushing out new skins so that some of the rarer skins can be obtained by people.

EDIT: Oh and as @Arlesienne said they are probably focus more on A New Reign. That too.

9 minutes ago, bubben16 said:

We don't need more skins, really. We already have 4 collections, and tons of items not part of a collection. And if they put out skins too fast, alot of skins would take a LONG time before someone actually got it. The Catcoon backpack came out, like, two months ago i think, and its still really expensive and rare. Its better that they take time before pushing out new skins so that some of the rarer skins can be obtained by people.

EDIT: Oh and as @Arlesienne said they are probably focus more on A New Reign. That too.

I agree we don't need more skins. They're nice, but not needed to enjoy the game. My money goes for new content rather than cosmetics (although I obviously want to support both). And as @bubben16 cleverly pointed out, with the randomness of the drops, the chances of obtaining Skin X drop every time more skins are added, because the game has to pull one from an ever-growing pool.

Sure, there are interesting skin concepts. But I'd rather keep Klei occupied with creating actual content if it's fine.

3 hours ago, t1morino88eex said:

The bottom line is that I believe Klei should fasten up the pace at which they release new skins, in accordance with the price drop of skins on the market if necessary.

I really hope they focus on "A New Reign" updates instead of adding more skins, also less skins in the pool means higher chances of getting skins you might want and getting dups for selling or trading to get the new ones.

As interested as I am of the skins teased (Like Young Wilson and one I've nicknamed "Greasy Mafioso Wolfgang"), I would rather have them focus on the update for the time being.  Skins do add customization to your characters and all but it's not something REQUIRED really.  And as the others stated, lesser skins means you have a better chance at getting those ones you've been pining for.

Honestly, I feel that the 3 collections we currently have are fit for 'collection' purposes, GoH is for Charlie, Survival is for... surviving, and Shadow is for whose on the throne, I honestly can't think of another canon collection. Canon, relating to the plot. Who says we can't have skins that aren't canon? Halloween skins! Winter Holiday skins! Random Sets! So. The way to wrap this thread up is simple, next skin set that is probably (hopefully) coming is the Halloween set. 

33 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Halloween skins! Winter Holiday skins! Random Sets! So. The way to wrap this thread up is simple, next skin set that is probably (hopefully) coming is the Halloween set. 

Yep, pretty much this. Doesn't have to be from a certain collection, just more item skins, the items we use a lot.

yeah as some one mentioned earlier i would have wanted charcater specific items to have skin changes to them too based on the type of skin worn of course. so like extra skins for bernie, lighter, abby, helms and spears, lucy , and maybe the codex now.

• Developer

They'll likely focus on ANR, Hot Lava and ONI before adding more skins. If they do add more skins, they'll likely be holiday specials, like on Halloween, perhaps.

They might release some other skins here and there, but I don't think there'll be many outside of these dates and before at least ANR is released.

Archived