People will want to kill me for suggesting this...

Should the walking cane have some sort of durability?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the walking cane have some sort of durability?

• Yes, when walking with it.
    • Yes, but other kind of durability (please post what kind).
    • No, not at all.

But, here goes nothing...

I think the walking cane should have durability.

Ok, hear me out here. I know that it's the holy grail of the game, everyone loves that thing, I love that thing, it's a really good item, and that's the reason.

It's a really good item that has no durability what so ever, hell, you can even attack with it, and while the damage is basically nothing(17), it is still more powerful than a weaponless punch(10), for a item that has no durability.

Admittedly I'm too spoiled to be outright in favor of durability on the Walking Cane, but I'm all for more uses for the Walrus Tusk.

For example, I see no reason why it couldn't be carved into a comb that would provide a small sanity boost when used by the player (and would have durability). And SW has a crown made of Hound Teeth, so Walrus Tusks could also be made into a similar crown or, say, a necklace (would work like an amulet of some sort, not sure what the purpose would be). And of course there's always room for more weapons, and there are plenty of ways that a tusk could be weaponized.

Durability wouldn't make sense. It's not clothes so it can't "melt away" after X days and if you give it limited hits then people simply won't attack with it. Giving Walrus tusk more uses wouldn't change the fact that Cane is still amazingg and everyone would pick it over any other option. DST actually gives you a reason to have more than one cane and i never seen a server with +6 players carrying one.

9 minutes ago, Serph said:

Durability wouldn't make sense. It's not clothes so it can't "melt away" after X days and if you give it limited hits then people simply won't attack with it. Giving Walrus tusk more uses wouldn't change the fact that Cane is still amazingg and everyone would pick it over any other option. DST actually gives you a reason to have more than one cane and i never seen a server with +6 players carrying one.

• Almost everything that the player crafts "melt away" in the game.
  • The fact that it's "amazingg" is the reason why it should have durability.

• Most of public servers with +6 players can't even survive a week without tons of mods that make the game easier, I don't think they should count as an argument.

9 minutes ago, Sportsman180 said:

I disagree entirely. Because you can only get it in one season and the Walrus has to be found and killed and the drop is not guaranteed.

• Walrus can be killed very easily if the player know what they are doing, and they respawn relatively quickly.
5 minutes ago, Hezel said:

If you think something is too strong, chances are you just don't know how to exploit it to it's full potential.

• Yes, I have "exploited" the item to its full potential, that's why I started this topic.

Just now, Mudley said:
  • Almost everything that the player crafts "melt away" in the game.
  • The fact that it's "amazingg" is the reason why it should have durability.

• Most of public servers with +6 players can't even survive a week without tons of mods that make the game easier, I don't think they should count as an argument.

-No, it doesn't, only clothes and umbrelas do. Cane is neither.

-Krampus Sack is "amazingg". Should it have durability too? Cane was always amazing, i don't see why it's suddendly a problem in DST.

-Do you have factual data to back that up? If most pubs can't go past first week why do you want to nerf cane lol.

10 minutes ago, Serph said:

-No, it doesn't, only clothes and umbrelas do. Cane is neither.

-Krampus Sack is "amazingg". Should it have durability too? Cane was always amazing, i don't see why it's suddendly a problem in DST.

-Do you have factual data to back that up? If most pubs can't go past first week why do you want to nerf cane lol.

• I said "melt away" in the sense of being used, and being a passive item(such as umbrellas and clothes), wearing it counts as being used.
  • The Krampus Sack is a backpack item that has 1% chance to drop, you are comparing apples to oranges.
  • Just browse the servers, most don't only are choke-full of mods, but some even increase resource quantity.

1 minute ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

The Morning Star is a weapon and it loses durability only when equipped, no-matter if you're attacking with it or not.

Of course there are exceptions. Morning Star is a light source, it has a timer the same way torch does.

3 minutes ago, Mudley said:
  • I said "melt away" in the sense of being used, and being a passive item(such as umbrellas and clothes), wearing it counts as being used.
  • The Krampus Sack is a backpack item that has 1% chance to drop, you are comparing apples to oranges.
  • Just browse the servers, most don't only are choke-full of mods, but some even increase resource quantity.

I won't argue anymore but can you at at least answer me why this is a "problem" now? Cane always had infinite durability since vanilla and nobody never complained.

Just now, Serph said:

Of course there are exceptions. Morning Star is a light source, it has a timer the same way torch does.

I won't argue anymore but can you at at least answer me why this is a "problem" now? Cane always had infinite durability since vanilla and nobody never complained.

Not as much as a problem as it is a way too good of a item that never needs to be replaced, in my opinion it creates too much of a comfort zone, in a game that should have none.

Except it does need to be replaced if you use it to make a telelocator staff, although even that gives a speed bonus forever as long as you don't teleport anywhere.  Meanwhile, scale armor, thulecite armor and life giving amulets can give sanity regeneration without any durability loss if you don't use them in combat.  Ice boxes, crock pots and lightning rods last forever.  (Or approximately 12 days, until some random shows up with a torch and hammer.)  Tentacles and merm houses don't respawn, so it's possible to create a comfort zone in the swamp by wiping them out.  Twig farms never need fertilizer.  Mole farms don't even require traps.  There are some things in the game that will convey a nearly-permanent advantage if you work to earn them.  If you don't like it, you're welcome to make a mod to add a finiteuses component to canes and anything else you want.  Most of us think it ain't broke.

1 hour ago, Mudley said:

So true.  I was just on one earlier that had tumbleweeds and reeds in every biome, and started everyone with 5 gold, 20 wood, 20 rocks, 20 flint, 20 grass, 20 twigs... I almost felt there wasn't any point playing.  But there's a difference between an earned advantage, such as the cane, and a world with so many unearned advantages that I feel like there's no need to do anything.  The servers I usually visit aren't like that, but they've been full or mid-winter every time I looked in the past month.

Please don't. Requiring the cane to be repaired/replaced over time just adds more senseless grind. It doesn't trivialize survival in any way (it  actually adds another dynamic to inventory/tool/weapon management) which generally means it doesn't need any balance tweaks as of right now.

3 hours ago, Flare2V said:

Please don't. Requiring the cane to be repaired/replaced over time just adds more senseless grind. It doesn't trivialize survival in any way (it  actually adds another dynamic to inventory/tool/weapon management) which generally means it doesn't need any balance tweaks as of right now.

All of this. Same reason i dislike DST Thermal Stone durability, all it does is add pointless extra grinding by mining 4 more boulders / wasting sewing kits.

I wouldn't really mind either way. While I have used the walking cane and love it for how useful it is and how it helps me get a lot done I still wouldn't mind it having durability. Then again I think Don't starve together is more relaxed than Don't starve in my opinion and focuses more on helping each other. The game is easy once you have knowledge. which applies to the walking cane. If you can take out MacTusk in the first winter because of what you know, a walking cane is easy to make but if someone doesn't know then they may see the walking cane as more of a 'prize' for going to the length of figuring out how to take the mob down to try and get the tusk. But there may be ways around the durability if it's implemented  in, like the Thermal stone which you can have at 100% throughout winter and only have go down once you put it away for summer. I'm really surprised no one brought it up in Don't Starve that it didn't have durability and more so that it was in Don't starve together since I find it to be more towards being easier to new people.

It's by far my favorite item in the game, I always settle near mctusks just for the cane, hunting them regularly at day 21, 24...When I have mine, my biggest pleasure is to keep hunting them to make canes for other players. So do you really want to inflict this upon me ?? :(

But seriously, I wouldn't be against a durability.

If you didnt get a chance to stockpile tusks in winter, then after your cane durability runs out there is no more cane until you reach winter again. If they make it last til winter, then you dont really need the durability in the first place. If they put a durability in place, it will probably be just spring if you constantly use it, and you are without a cane for 2 seasons.

Archived