People will want to kill me for suggesting this...

Should the walking cane have some sort of durability?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the walking cane have some sort of durability?

• Yes, when walking with it.
    • Yes, but other kind of durability (please post what kind).
    • No, not at all.

I understand why you believe walking canes should have durability, but I believe there are a few points that haven't really been mentioned above about how I believe it is currently balanced at the moment.

1. The Walking Cane is a "luxury" item

As I have noticed in most DST games, a lot of players out there struggle to survive. Once Winter hits, I find a lot of survival servers just crumble and everyone ends up dying. In this scenario, most players will never even obtain a walking cane, since even if they make it to winter, their primary focus would likely be survival. Even for more experienced players who would be able to survive just fine, the walking cane is still a luxury. You have to take time to locate Mactusk, and kill him in winter just for a chance at the tusk. You put in effort for an optional, seasonal task, and you get rewarded with a very good item, simple as that.

2. The Walking Cane uses your hand slot

Of course, you could argue that the walking cane is too much reward for the effort you put in, but you must also realise that the walking cane takes up your hand slot, a very valuable thing that most players take for granted. An example would be in spring, when there's plenty of rain, you are faced with a choice: take off your walking cane you worked hard for and replace it with an umbrella, or alternatively give up your backpack for a raincoat and keep your cane and speedboost at the cost of 8 - 14 item slots. (Before you argue eyebrella, you also still need to keep in mind the whole risk = reward thing mentioned above). There's also more examples, such as if you wanted to explore the caves in Winter, Summer, or Spring, there's the choice of cane or lantern (in those seasons, you'd likely want Beefalo hat / eyebrella to keep you warm/cold) thereby effectively nullifying your cane unless you give up the backpack.

Besides those points though, you are right. The cane is an insanely good item, but has its drawbacks as mentioned above and the factor that if you're putting in the effort of fighting Mactusk in winter, you should be granted something nice for the 1 season only event (even then, you're not guaranteed the cane. I've gone an entire winter of killing Mactusk every 3 days and not receiving a single tusk.)

On 3/26/2016 at 2:59 PM, Mudley said:

But, here goes nothing...

I think the walking cane should have durability.

Ok, hear me out here. I know that it's the holy grail of the game, everyone loves that thing, I love that thing, it's a really good item, and that's the reason.

It's a really good item that has no durability what so ever, hell, you can even attack with it, and while the damage is basically nothing(17), it is still more powerful than a weaponless punch(10), for a item that has no durability.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this idea, mostly because Walking canes are usually an annoyance to get in PvP and even PvE. PVP being that the server never gets to winter before the next reset, and PvE cause RNG is sometimes lame and won't always give up enough for your whole group. Walking cane set-pieces are the holy grail early game. If Walking canes were infinite in Don't Starve, then why should they have durability in Don't Starve Together? 

On 2016-03-27 at 9:52 PM, Serph said:

All of this. Same reason i dislike DST Thermal Stone durability, all it does is add pointless extra grinding by mining 4 more boulders / wasting sewing kits.

Actually, thermal stones in DST are very different from thermal stones in don't starve. They retain heat longer, glow when charged and are effective when used with clothing. In DS, thermal stones barely retain heat and can actually freeze you faster than you'd freeze without them if you're using heavy insulation gear. Taking a quick trip into the caves during summer will also have your thermal stone freezing relatively quickly, too. It has gone from being one of the worst seasonal survival tools (in Don't Starve) to being one of the best seasonal survival tools (In Don't Starve Together). The cane, however, remains unchanged between versions.

I disagree with this suggestion for the reasons that have already been stated. I don't find having to grind for materials to upkeep my equipment an enjoyable part of the game; heck, if it were for me, there should be MORE items without durability, not less.

7 hours ago, The Letter W said:

they add in durability, but it's negated by the sewing kit. cane still op 

(the fact you can sew a rock is still the funniest thing to me)

I didn't even know you could repair a thermal stone, probably since I rarely ever use it and when I do I can make it last an entire season without breaking it anyway. Still even if they made it possible to use the sewing kit on the Cane that would at least be something - would mean you'd have to at least keep an eye out so it doesn't break and sacrifice some resources just to keep the cane repaired.

The game begins to get boring when you just have a ton of resources stuffed in dozens of chests with no need for any of them, I see a lot of people on this forum however are against making this game tougher for some reason - survival mode is too easy in DST, there's really no "survival" at all. If you're against making it tougher then you should play casual mode, or whatever it's called.

The idea of giving the Walking Cane durability in DST is about as horrible as it was 3 years ago in regular DS.

30 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

heh can go shipwrecked and have no cane at all but instead the sleek hat and its 3 day durability

Walking Cane is dropped from the slot machine in Shipwrecked. You can also use the Seaworthy to hop to Vanilla and get it normally, then hop back to Shipwrecked.

Sleek Hat has durability because its main ingredient is dropped by a common enemy and it also goes on your head. It's not hard to come by like the Cane is.

I thought the point of DST was just to play w/ friends and have fun, and thus some things have been scaled to be a challenge for group situations.

I don't think the point is:  Let's make everything harder and more tedious for literally no reason.

4 minutes ago, leonseye said:

I don't think the point is:  Let's make everything harder and more tedious for literally no reason.

Except after a certain point in a world you get to a position where you just endlessly hoard up resources with nothing to use them on and there is no challenge left. There's no end-game in DST except just saying "gg" and starting a new game. The game should still be as challenging and fun on day 500 as it is on day 50.

5 minutes ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

Except after a certain point in a world you get to a position where you just endlessly hoard up resources with nothing to use them on and there is no challenge left. There's no end-game in DST except just saying "gg" and starting a new game. The game should still be as challenging and fun on day 500 as it is on day 50.

And how does adding durability makes the game "harder to survive"? On practice, it would just increase the list of items you to have to stock/repair.

Just now, Serph said:

And how does adding durability makes the game "harder to survive"? On practice, it would just increase the list of items you to have to stock/repair.

Which would in turn mean that you'd have to spend some more resources every once in a while to keep an item's durability up.

Just now, GangStarrWoWp said:

Which would in turn mean that you'd have to spend some more resources every once in a while to keep an item's durability up.

That doesn't make the game the take "more skill". Making the player waste time just for the sake of wasting time is artificial difficulty.

Yeah. Collecting stuff to repair stuff endlessly sucks.

5 hours ago, leonseye said:

I thought the point of DST was just to play w/ friends and have fun, and thus some things have been scaled to be a challenge for group situations.

I 100% agree with this guy.

18 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

This proposed change does not make the game more "challenging", it doesn't make it more "fun", it doesn't do anything at all but add a bit more tedium when all people really want to do is go out, fight giants, build huge bases, explore ruins, etc.

New bosses add challenge; new mechanics add challenge; adding 1 more extremely easy step to the game does not add challenge.  It most certainly does not add an endgame.

I'm not even sure what world you'd have to be in to consider "I have to get another walrus tusk to make another walking cane" an "endgame".  The rest of us consider killing the Ancient Guardian and having Dragonfly on farm while having a base that covers the entire map the "endgame" for DST.

Or just starting over and braving the (actual) challenges all over again.

4 hours ago, leonseye said:

This proposed change does not make the game more "challenging", it doesn't make it more "fun", it doesn't do anything at all but add a bit more tedium when all people really want to do is go out, fight giants, build huge bases, explore ruins, etc.

New bosses add challenge; new mechanics add challenge; adding 1 more extremely easy step to the game does not add challenge.  It most certainly does not add an endgame.

I'm not even sure what world you'd have to be in to consider "I have to get another walrus tusk to make another walking cane" an "endgame".  The rest of us consider killing the Ancient Guardian and having Dragonfly on farm while having a base that covers the entire map the "endgame" for DST.

Or just starting over and braving the (actual) challenges all over again.

I never said that giving the Cane durability equals endgame, a ton of things have to be added/changed for there to be a maintained level of difficulty throughout the entire length of each world. No, adding just the Cane durability will not make the game any tougher, but this change should be one of many. The cane should be a precious item that is extremely valued, not something you get on day 20 and then use forever without any limitation or barrier. Right now as it stands it is OP as hell, easy to obtain, and lasts indefinitely. Please don't nitpick, I never stated that giving durability to the cane will fix this game, but again it should absolutely be one of very many changes/additions.

1 hour ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

I never said that giving the Cane durability equals endgame, a ton of things have to be added/changed for there to be a maintained level of difficulty throughout the entire length of each world. No, adding just the Cane durability will not make the game any tougher, but this change should be one of many. The cane should be a precious item that is extremely valued, not something you get on day 20 and then use forever without any limitation or barrier. Right now as it stands it is OP as hell, easy to obtain, and lasts indefinitely. Please don't nitpick, I never stated that giving durability to the cane will fix this game, but again it should absolutely be one of very many changes/additions.

I'm not picking any nits.  I responded directly to what you said.

This is a thread about adding durability to the walking cane.  I'm going to assume that replies to it are about the topic that we're discussing.

If you wanted me to respond to whatever vague changes you were thinking of, you probably should have written that instead.

Also, I disagree.  It's always been this way and nobody has ever had any issue w/ it before.  I don't feel that walking slightly faster when you aren't fighting or using tools or doing pretty much anything else of real import in the game is OP, and it seems that others feel the same.

If the other "many" changes that you want made to the game are in the same vein of adding pointless tedium, I'd rather not see any of those either.

4 minutes ago, leonseye said:

If the other "many" changes that you want made to the game are in the same vein of adding pointless tedium, I'd rather not see any of those either.

Sorry, when a "survival" game ends up having nothing to do with survival after day 100 there is a problem. There should always be a sense of urgency and constant need to do something. Seriously, tediousness? Why have durability on anything then, tents, weapons, clothing, they're all easy to make and according to you that only adds tedium so what's the point? You're really stretching here. Imagine how much wear and tear a walking cane gets, being used on different types of unfriendly terrain year after year yet remaining intact no-matter what. That completely takes away from what this game is about.

4 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

Sorry, when a "survival" game ends up having nothing to do with survival after day 100 there is a problem. There should always be a sense of urgency and constant need to do something. Seriously, tediousness? Why have durability on anything then, tents, weapons, clothing, they're all easy to make and according to you that only adds tedium so what's the point? You're really stretching here. Imagine how much wear and tear a walking cane gets, being used on different types of unfriendly terrain year after year yet remaining intact no-matter what. That completely takes away from what this game is about.

While I agree that the game lacks a challenging endgame as of right now, I don't think that your walking cane or your thermal stone breaking are the right approach to fixing that issue. While I wouldn't be that upset if walking canes ended up having durability since I end up having a surplus of tusks anyway, I find it preferable the way it is right now. Changes have to be made in completely different areas to keep the game fun past day 100; I don't have any precise ideas as of what they should be since I'm no game designer, and I have full faith in the guys at Klei to keep their game fun and engaging. And if they decide to add durability to the walking cane, I won't complain.

19 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

As an avid hiker, I still have my walking stick from when I was a boy scout.

I can guarantee that it most definitely was not worn down enough to need repair after 100 days, lol.  It's well over 20 years old and doesn't have much wear on it.  

Your logic seems off base here.

Welp, while I still hold my position, is clearly that I and the very few others who agree with me are in the minority. I was expecting that result so, not so much surprised, but it was still worth a shot suggesting it.

5 minutes ago, Mudley said:

But one last thing:

Are you seriously trying to use "real life logic" as an argument in a game like Don't Starve?

That is actually a direct response to this quote:

19 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

You're really stretching here. Imagine how much wear and tear a walking cane gets, being used on different types of unfriendly terrain year after year yet remaining intact no-matter what.

So yes, I am countering "real life logic" w/ an example of exactly this from "real life".  I don't need to imagine.  I can just look over at my staff in the corner and see exactly what a walking stick after years of "wear and tear" looks like.

It looks pretty good.

Archived