Poison needs to be nerfed, I've suffered from enough deaths caused by poison because I don't have access to coral and venom glands. Once I get poison without any source or items for the antivenom, I just call it GG and start a new world. The poison doesn't stop at 1 hit-point, killing you no matter what unless you can get an anti venom. One way you could nerf it is by stopping the poison at 1 hit-point, forcing the player to focus on healing after the effect.

tl;dr: Poison too op, Klei pls nerf

I think it's a great mechanic though. The problem you're describing might be better alleviated by not having poison snakes spawn earlier than a few days in, because they were usually what caused it for me. With their sudden appearances they can easily surprise you even early on when you can't really be expected to have found any venom glands. I'd be all for that.

If you get poisoned by anything else it's totally your fault and the way the mechanic is right now honestly gives me a great rush, so I wouldn't want poison itself to be nerfed.

An alternate antivenom would be good.

After all, we have two item to regain health, honey poultice and healing salve.

So you should have two craft to make different anti-venom. The actual one, and an easier one, with an higher cost of something. Like, for example, cost in sanity, or cost in hunger, or something like that.

- if you have no choice, you will use the cheaper anti-venom and pay the cost

- when you are more prepared, you use the actual anti-venom

This way, poison is no more a death sentence early game, but you still have to make choice or effort to be cured.

As long as you don't hack vines or cut jungle trees during the night, yellow snakes are easy to avoid. The problem comes from yellow spiders when you're trying to get some silk, but as stated above, you can wear a seashell armor to remain safe.

The main problem is probably yellow mosquitos because their AI makes them hard to kill and they are legion during the wet season.

As for a new poison cure, I'm trying to make a custom one for my character, but it's a pain in the arse to do.

It doesn't need a nerf, it was completely your fault for getting poisoned.

No access to coral? What kind of unlucky worlds have you generated? Did you explore at least?

You can get venom glands from the marsh by digging up the poison thingies. Or go slaughter stink rays, you'll get poisoned of course (unless you have a gas mask), but you'll have more than enough glands then.

Verdict: Get good or get rekt

Wow another one.

Instead of assuming that the SURVIVAL GAME is killing you too much how about considering maybe that you are doing something wrong? You know there is this thread "how to stop puddles". It is politely asking for... you know... advice.

Maybe instead of making a "nerf it" thread start with the "help me" thread. People would be much more inclined to help you. Also if you are describing your problem, do add how many days you usually last. Would give people a better picture.

Edit: SW is too easy right now. It lacks too much content.

One time I was poisoned in the marsh. I did't have any venom gland and coral in my base. So I quickly use my shovel to dig up the poisonous holes until I found a gland. I then travel to my base island and I have 30 HP left. I pick up every flowers/ butterfly and sweet potato as I run towards my base. Eat every cooked food, petals and etc before I get on my boat for some coral and seaweed. I start off with 80 HP, and by the time I have my anti venom I have 90 HP left.

It does take some time to get use to. In my earlier run I've keep 20+ anti venom in my inventory. Now I don't do that any more cause I have get used to the combat and have learn to avoid poisonous creature. Early game you just need seashell suit for when you have to fight yellow snakes alike. Other than that, you just have to be more prepared. Consider how you may get a venom grand, have some extra coral in storage, save a few healing items for emergency. Also dig up most viney bush near your base if you don't need the monster meat and snake skin. There isn't much point fighting string ray so avoid them if you can.

Poison is only an issue for newer or less experienced players. Outside of that it's an irrelevant mechanic that ceases to exist after you get the Seashell armor or Gasmask.  Hell, if you play WX-78, he is completely immune to poison. Though he has his own issues with wetness. 

I never even experienced the poison mechanic until about day 50ish when the mosquitoes started spawning, and even then I had plenty of ingredients to make anti venom seconds later.

Actually poison is a very nice balanced mechanic. It is a bit challenging, yet easy avoidable and non-lethal.

Kids just won't understand that this game is all about trying not to screw up and not doing completely stupid things. Fighting spider warriors without having anti-venom ingredients is the example of stupid thing you should not do.

Poison needs to be nerfed, I've suffered from enough deaths caused by poison because I don't have access to coral and venom glands. Once I get poison without any source or items for the antivenom, I just call it GG and start a new world. The poison doesn't stop at 1 hit-point, killing you no matter what unless you can get an anti venom. One way you could nerf it is by stopping the poison at 1 hit-point, forcing the player to focus on healing after the effect.

There are two in-game ways to negate poison. If you feel it's too difficult a game mechanic after both of them I'm sorry, but as everyone else is saying you're at fault.

Poison's a great mechanic, but poison glands need to have a better drop rate.

Farm glands with seashell armour on. You're not supposed to be rushing for an antidote after you get poison; you're supposed to prepare ahead of time. As with everything else in Don't Starve.

This is a great mechanic. If you don't have the antivenom, stay out of trouble. It is THAT simple. Presumably, the Snake Oil might be another antivenom, but making an antivenom is, as you said, hard. You have to be able to go sail, have flint to get reefs, and guess what, a science machine! So, always do NOT engage with poisonous guys. I hope more poisonous guys would come; POISONOUS FROGS!

There are two in-game ways to negate poison. If you feel it's too difficult a game mechanic after both of them I'm sorry, but as everyone else is saying you're at fault.

Farm glands with seashell armour on. You're not supposed to be rushing for an antidote after you get poison; you're supposed to prepare ahead of time. As with everything else in Don't Starve.

...You're actually right haha.

I keep forgetting about Seashell Armor and Gas Mask when I talk about poison most of the time. 

We've been through that already.

1) You can craft stuff to prevent getting poisoned like the seashell armor and the gas mask

2) In case you get poisoned or want to

- There are 5 ways to get poison glands: yellow spiders, yellow snakes, stinkrays, mosquitoes and poison holes (which you can dig)

- Coral is abundant mostly at the border of islands if you do a little of exploration

- Do i really need to tell where to get seaweed ?

Poison is NOT a real issue if you are a minimum careful and explore the surroundings of islands. By day 3-4 you should already have everything to make anti-venom.

Archived