Do Starve - no food challenge

lhwU9fA.jpg

We all know we aren't suppose to starve in this game but what if we think outside the box.
I have created a challenge map to do just that.

Welcome to DO STARVE ladies and gentlemen.

The rules are simple
- You can not eat anything, not a petal, not a single drop of honey and definitely no meat.

- Live as long as you can.

Instruction on map set up

Map download - simply unzip and follow the instructions

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gt830h84qxoi97x/Do_Starve.rar

• Step one

Find your Don't Starve together save folder
This will be in C:\Users\(your user)\Documents\klei

Or simply click on Documents in libraries and open the folder 'klei'

tRpGBuu.png

• Step two

Open the 'DoNotStarveTogether' folder and rename the folder 'save' to 'old save'.
This is to prevent any lost from any current worlds you may be hosting, you may also want to create a separate back up of this.

mN1gwi7.png

• Step three

Drag or copy the new 'save' folder in to the 'DoNotStarveTogether' directory

gv2o0wq.png

It should now look like this
wqJUmcG.png

To restore your old maps simply delete or remove the new save folder and rename the 'save_old' back to 'save'.

Everything is now set up, all you need to is open the world in slot one and start surviving.

Map layout with some key features to give you a helping hand

Key features
    1 - Spider Quarry - very close to spawn (needed for healing)
    2 - Normal Quarry - for those extra need rocks (extra helmets and weapons)
    3 - Spider rich forest - good for map travel (healing on the go)
    4 - Graveyard - full of neat gear (all the extra gold you will be needing)

There is also a walking cane boon which you will have to find.
Happy hunting.

6L4J1gY.png

I highly recommend you play as Wigfrid, this is not required but her power nature, helmets and weapons make her the ideal choice.

I would love to see any screen shots you might have from this.

Goodluck!

Edit - made a few changes to the save file, the world day is now day one and I removed a few files that weren't relevant.

The only way to keep starving without actually dying I can think of are spider salve and bandages. Every other way to recover health I know involves eating or requires to drain your food meter. Considering the sheer amount of bandages you'd need to deal with both starvation and hound/giant attacks, you would easily spend 80% of your time acquiring papyrus, trapping spider farms and grabbing honey (once you got all of that set up).

Wigfrid's health boost provides a constant incentive to fight in order to survive. With her, in addition to the basic resource gathering for light and weapons/armor, the player has need to fight everything in sight in order to counteract the health drain from an empty stomach.

To be honest, apart from her, I don't see how this challenge is possible to sustain; no other character has such a reliable source of health outside of food. Perhaps Webber starting a spider war and getting spider glands, but even then...

I don't think it's possible to survive.  I'm under the impression that it's just about how long you can hold out before starving.

(and I predict the amount of time you can extend it will be pretty small in comparison to how long it takes to run down your hunger meter)

I don't think it's possible to survive.  I'm under the impression that it's just about how long you can hold out before starving.

(and I predict the amount of time you can extend it will be pretty small in comparison to how long it takes to run down your hunger meter)

This is my current best run

I streamed the whole thing, if you need tips you are welcome to watch it.

dYJH49f.jpg

Seems like cheating, but couldn't you just go werebeaver and just run around forever? I believe his hunger doesn't go down the entire time.

Interesting idea, but doesn't the werebeaver freeze/overheat? If so, you could barely live longer than 21 days

Update - So after trying a few more times and as a few different characters I have some news to report.

Webber

I found Webber to be too slow of a start, the idea suggested to me creating a large spider war and profiting from the chaos. Upgrading the nest to create more spiders early on wasn't enough to keep me alive.

Highest day 4

Woodie

Woodie is feasible however very tedious where survival involves running around the map as a were-beaver just waiting for time to pass.

Highest day 13 (easily passable)

I found Wigfrid to still be the most viable or at least the most enjoyable reaching day 26.

bBhUVIg.jpg

For those of you who don't want to play on a pre-generated world, setting spiders to more/lots might make your experience more satisfying.

To be fair, a vegan Wigfrid can eat durian lasagna.

I didn't even take that into consideration. But I guess through game logic, the Durian Lasagna despite not having meat in it, does contain the meat tagline. For actual challenge sake I'd say its not allowed, and for logic sake I'd say no because Wigfrid would know the difference.

I didn't even take that into consideration. But I guess through game logic, the Durian Lasagna despite not having meat in it, does contain the meat tagline. For actual challenge sake I'd say its not allowed, and for logic sake I'd say no because Wigfrid would know the difference.

if u look the picture of monster meat u can see... its actylly meat

Archived