Caves Beta - October 6th Update

@rezecib, you have

[00:00:01]: [WARNING] [account] dedicated_lan_server has been deprecated and replaced with [network] offline_server
00:00:13]: [Warning] SteamGameServer_Init Failed[00:00:13]: Your server will still start, but some Steam functionality may be missing.[00:00:13]: Steam ports can be configured through command line by adding:[00:00:13]: -steam_authentication_port 12345 -steam_master_server_port 12346[00:00:13]: or through settings.ini, under the [network] heading[00:00:13]: steam_authentication_port = 12345[00:00:13]: steam_master_server_port = 12346[00:00:13]: Auth port: 8766 Master server port: 27016

Try fixing those?

Make cave online (dedicated_lan_server = false) and use 8767 and 27017.

Cave related suggestions:

- Night hands are becoming annoying. There are in all nights, when just one player has 30% less sanity. Using lantern is much cheaper and there is no need in taking care of these hands. There is no 'real campfire feeling'. I mean, why you like to keep your sanity always above 60-90%? Maybe the hands can appear just when less 40 or 30%. Two hands then would appear at 20%. Always this stress :-P

- Red, green mushrooms are not active in caves. Blue mushrooms are always active (pickable). I guess Klei is working on it. Else there is no sense having other then blue mushrooms in caves except you like to dig them up with a shovel

- Unpicked carrots never spoil. They can overlast winter. Would be cool to enable players to bury carrots that way. This will enhance also the gardening, farming actions. For befriending bunnymen, you need carrots. This feature would make it possible to plant carrots back in the bunny villages

- Not sure(!): bee boxes and pig houses in caves are not active?

• Developer

@TheKingofSquirrels,

i can't make video because my english sucks! :-)

but i think we need wait official released of cave and ruins

because if i make tutorial right know, maybe the system for make server going change again

Yes, it's going to be changing some more before it's done. Hopefully it will be much easier even for the power users, but definitely different. We'll try to keep these changes in bigger chunks, and be very clear when it happens, though.

So I set up a pair of dedicated servers with the first caves update and tested them successfully to make sure my mods were working, but I've been trying it today with the most recent update and it seems to be getting stuck on migration. I can join the main server, but entering caves it gets stuck on the "connecting..." dialog.

@Rtd is correct, those three flags are not functioning correctly with sharded servers. For now, please start the server normally and use the lan_only_server privacy setting to keep it from accepting outside connections if you wish.

• Developer

Cave related suggestions:

- Night hands are becoming annoying. There are in all nights, when just one player has 30% less sanity. Using lantern is much cheaper and there is no need in taking care of these hands. There is no 'real campfire feeling'. I mean, why you like to keep your sanity always above 60-90%? Maybe the hands can appear just when less 40 or 30%. Two hands then would appear at 20%. Always this stress :razz:

- Red, green mushrooms are not active in caves. Blue mushrooms are always active (pickable). I guess Klei is working on it. Else there is no sense having other then blue mushrooms in caves except you like to dig them up with a shovel

- Unpicked carrots never spoil. They can overlast winter. Would be cool to enable players to bury carrots that way. This will enhance also the gardening, farming actions. For befriending bunnymen, you need carrots. This feature would make it possible to plant carrots back in the bunny villages

- Not sure(!): bee boxes and pig houses in caves are not active?

Sorry, I don't fully understand which direction you're leaning concerning the hands. But you've inspired me to make the hands steal lantern fuel if you leave it on the ground. Is that better? :grin:

Mushrooms, bee boxes, and pig houses are being looked at, in addition to pigmen themselves, rabbits, moles, butterflies, bees, krampus, chester, birds, birdcage, smallbird, glommer, and lavae. We're not trying to change everything, just things which might conceivably appear in the caves that watch for the sun. Let me know if we missed anything else!

The OS X server still isn't working... It's a large problem. I'm not able to access caves without one.

Arrrgh sorry. I got distracted on this.

But you've inspired me to make the hands steal lantern fuel if you leave it on the ground. Is that better? :grin:

Yeah, this would make it more fair definitely - comparing camp fire and lantern or mining hats. I just meant, night hands are quite always there, every night and the nights in winters or caves are long :-D, actually reducing the hands will make the game easier, which is not my intention. But maybe something else can come scare the players like flying skeleton

Mushrooms, bee boxes, and pig houses are being looked at, in addition to pigmen themselves, rabbits, moles, butterflies, bees, krampus, chester, birds, birdcage, smallbird, glommer, and lavae. We're not trying to change everything, just things which might conceivably appear in the caves that watch for the sun. Let me know if we missed anything else!

ok, I see. Would be alot of fun seeing same things with different behavior when they are in caves :-)

Hey all I have the same issue as Rezecib, I have tried putting the "dedicated_lan_server = false" tag in the settings, as suggested, for first just the caves server and then for both, it did not fix the issue and when I did it for both I now get the "Connecting..." on the Overworld server (which also coincidentally I can now only find in the LAN tab).

I made a separate post about it here.
As I posted, let me know if there is any extra logs or anything that might help diagnose my problem!
I've had experience making servers before which is why I've resorted to posting on here, infact I had no issue making a DST caves server last month but I've moved and since the move have been unable to get it to work again.

@Ipsquiggle,@Rtd, @DarkXero,  As I mentioned, I had someone connecting from outside of my network as well, so I most definitely was not using dedicated_lan_server = true, it was set to false. Are you saying I should just remove that line? Because that doesn't make it work, either (exactly the same results).

@DarkXero I'm pretty sure the Steam stuff is irrelevant, I'm not using Steam group features.

Edit: Success! Adding the Steam server lines actually allowed it to connect to the shard successfully, at least locally. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case, though, so that appears to be a bug there?

• Developer

Hello guys

Another thing I noticed is that the settings.ini for the cave server seems to keep resetting the password to some sort of hash. Looking at the log, it doesn't look like the same hash is being used when attempting migration. For example, on the most recent run (with no mods), I checked the settings.ini, which had a pass starting with 'x', and the log has a pass starting with 'c' noted in the join attempt. I closed everything down and now the settings.ini for the cave server has one starting with 'N'.

Actually, the slaves' passwords are updated every 30 seconds or so. The settings files is not updated so often, that's why you see a different password in the settings file than in the log.

Success! Adding the Steam server lines actually allowed it to connect to the shard successfully, at least locally. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case, though, so that appears to be a bug there?

I can vouch that when SteamGameServer_Init fails on both servers, it will still work.

So, for the record, if one server (master) displays

SteamGameServer_Init Success

and the other server (cave slave) displays

[Warning] SteamGameServer_Init Failed

then there will be connectivity issues.

Both servers should display Success or Failed, and not one and the other.

@Xaeth, going back to your cave log, it displayed

[00:00:22]: [Warning] SteamGameServer_Init Failed[00:00:22]: Your server will still start, but some Steam functionality may be missing.[00:00:22]: Steam ports can be configured through command line by adding:[00:00:22]: -steam_authentication_port 12345 -steam_master_server_port 12346[00:00:22]: or through settings.ini, under the [network] heading[00:00:22]: steam_authentication_port = 12345[00:00:22]: steam_master_server_port  = 12346[00:00:22]: Auth port: 12348 Master server port: 12349

and I imagine your server log displays Success, so please change the ports and try again.

• Developer

The OS X server still isn't working... It's a large problem. I'm not able to access caves without one.

K, I found one more checkbox, please try again from Steam!

It should also work from steamcmd if you login using your steam credentials (+login username password). We're working on getting anonymous login working for the OSX server.

K, I found one more checkbox, please try again from Steam!

It should also work from steamcmd if you login using your steam credentials (+login username password). We're working on getting anonymous login working for the OSX server.

I just set up a server on OSX and it's running fine now :). I'll now try to link a caves world and get back to you on the results.

Archived