Caves Beta - October 2nd Update

Has anyone else reported the problem with telelocator staff?  Where if you use it down in the caves you will get continuous earthquake audio.  It will only stop if you use the staff again (host of the the server) or the another random earthquake occurs.

• Developer

I thought that returning boons generation to normal might be critical for guaranteed generation of pig king... I found a pig village with chess flooring with 2 more skeleton loots, no pig king in whole world.

Yep, the missing pigking is an ongoing challenge for us, sorry. :(

Touchstone are a nice touch.

You can hammer the pig heads to get pig skin to make underground pig houses. (And umbrellas, and football helmets.)

Bunnymen go out of their houses during dusk, night, cavedusk and cavenight.

Pigmen go out of their houses only during day. They stay in their houses during caveday.

Is this intended? Well, it makes sense since pigs during caveday might find themselves in darkness.

On the same note, moleworms don't stop sleeping in the caves. Nor rabbits do.

Also birds brought down there will stay asleep.

We need to rewrite a bunch of the sleeping tests to that they make sense in caves. This is on the todo list, but not an immediate priority.

Got a crash while my cave server was idle:

Thanks for reporting this. Do you recall any other particular oddness or significant events that happened beforehand, such as the season changing, it being a new day, or anything like that?

Has anyone else reported the problem with telelocator staff?  Where if you use it down in the caves you will get continuous earthquake audio.  It will only stop if you use the staff again (host of the the server) or the another random earthquake occurs.

Thanks for reporting this, we'll fix it.

Disable your wormhole marks mod.

While we are in the bug solving subject, I want to point out one easy to fix bug.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58100-gameplay-koalefants-not-waking-up/

Sure, fixed it. Thanks. :)

• Developer

@smallishbird @StretchVanb Concerning the OSX server: I'll give this some more testing this morning and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Oh, I just noticed you wrote this:

app_update 343050 -cavesbeta validate

It should be

app_update 343050 -beta cavesbeta validate

Was that just a transcription error?

I'll try the process more thoroughly here anyways and let you know if I find anything.

@smallishbird @StretchVanb Concerning the OSX server: I'll give this some more testing this morning and see if I can figure out what's happening.

Oh, I just noticed you wrote this:

app_update 343050 -cavesbeta validate

It should be

app_update 343050 -beta cavesbeta validate

Was that just a transcription error?

I'll try the process more thoroughly here anyways and let you know if I find anything.

I attached screenshots of what happens when you install the DST dedicated server on both pc and mac. I'll try it through terminal again just in case I made a typo. I fixed the typo from earlier and the same thing happens. It says App '343050' is fully installed but it doesn't install anything. 

post-672103-0-31552700-1444069305_thumb.

post-672103-0-49075000-1444069312_thumb.

• Developer

Yep, I was able to make this happen this morning. Upon further investigating, it looks like steamcmd gets confused if the "default" branch doesn't contain anything. Once we move the cavesbeta branch back into the main version of the game this problem will hopefully go away... but until that time, you can get the server by using the Steam front-end. Sorry about this. :(

Yep, I was able to make this happen this morning. Upon further investigating, it looks like steamcmd gets confused if the "default" branch doesn't contain anything. Once we move the cavesbeta branch back into the main version of the game this problem will hopefully go away... but until that time, you can get the server by using the Steam front-end. Sorry about this. :(

Still missing the executable if i install it upfront. I think it's steam itself that gets confused, not just the steamcmd.

EDIT: Still a large problem for mac players. I'm guessing you enabled the folder, but didn't put anything in it?

Some changes were made that affect mods in general. Wasted like 2 days now on trying to get things to work without any results.

How to use public functions from a world component now?

It just stopped working whatsoever.

I could call a public function in a component added to the forest prefab to change some values in it, now its not working at all, even after changing from forset prefab to world prefab. 

• Developer

The wormlight light is not saved. If you save and load you have no light.

Noted, thanks!

Still missing the executable if i install it upfront. I think it's steam itself that gets confused, not just the steamcmd.

EDIT: Still a large problem for mac players. I'm guessing you enabled the folder, but didn't put anything in it?

Very strange. Everything appears to be set up correctly, I haven't found any more checkboxes that can be checked, hahah.. I'll keep poking at it.

Some changes were made that affect mods in general. Wasted like 2 days now on trying to get things to work without any results.

How to use public functions from a world component now?

It just stopped working whatsoever.

I could call a public function in a component added to the forest prefab to change some values in it, now its not working at all, even after changing from forset prefab to world prefab. 

We did change the way the world prefab is loaded. Could you describe or paste some code showing what you were doing? We'd like to not break mods if we can help it so it would be handy to see what your use case is! Thanks.

We did change the way the world prefab is loaded. Could you describe or paste some code showing what you were doing? We'd like to not break mods if we can help it so it would be handy to see what your use case is! Thanks.

Sorry.

Error on my side, I didn't notice the changes made in the wormhole prefab.

The same world prefab is now used for caves and overworld?

If I make posinit to world prefab it will affect all worlds or just overworld?

`

Thanks for reporting this. Do you recall any other particular oddness or significant events that happened beforehand, such as the season changing, it being a new day, or anything like that?

I can't remenber, no. I'm sorry... :(

However, what I can tell you is that nobody was logged on any of both servers.

Plus, they were freshly regenerated servers. (I regenerate my servers every time I test something on them)

So, I have no clue of what happened.

Looks like this to me:

1/ Regenerate servers

2/ Start servers

3/ (Maybe log once on master? Can't remember)

4/ Idle

5/ Caves crash

Additionnaly, both were version 151919.

And I should specify that I was doing this test because I still can't make the -lan flag + [network] offline_server = true working correctly with a slave attempting to connect its master on loopback (127.0.0.1).

So, conditions of the test were the following:

- Master+Slave on the same dedi

- Wipe both servers

- Start + generate servers

- Slave can't connect to master

- Idle (maybe a login on master before...)

- Caves crash on its own

I should mention also that without the -lan flag and setting [network] offline_server = false works perfectly, making an online server reachable by people that can enter/leave the caves correctly, plus allows me to connect enter/leave caves in LAN without any problem.

I don't know what's happening (any help is welcome), but this is an other problem that it's not related to our caves crash. :-)

I haven't been messing with DST myself, but I was thinking in general it would be nice to have a cave equivalent to the Koalefant, something to get players to explore for the possible reward of lotsofood, or if your unlucky a really mean puppy.

• Developer

Sorry.

Error on my side, I didn't notice the changes made in the wormhole prefab.

The same world prefab is now used for caves and overworld?

If I make posinit to world prefab it will affect all worlds or just overworld?

Correct, in both cases you do PrefabPostInit for "world", then use tags or check components to determine what kind of world you have. This is because we want the world prefab to be flexible and moddable, it's just "the world", and then mods can act on certain world components or behave based on world tags, regardless of the prefab configuration which created them.

For example, if I added ruins as a 3rd, independent world, I would give it the "cave" tag just like caves has. Then if you have a mod that deals with being underground, you just check the world for the "cave" tag, and it will work regardless of the actual name of the prefab the world was spawned with.

So, conditions of the test were the following:

- Master+Slave on the same dedi

- Wipe both servers

- Start + generate servers

- Slave can't connect to master

- Idle (maybe a login on master before...)

- Caves crash on its own

I should mention also that without the -lan flag and setting [network] offline_server = false works perfectly, making an online server reachable by people that can enter/leave the caves correctly, plus allows me to connect enter/leave caves in LAN without any problem.

I don't know what's happening (any help is welcome), but this is an other problem that it's not related to our caves crash. :-)

Aha, I'm willing to bet the caves crash if they are a slave but can't connect to the master. I'll look into that.

As far as LAN/offline, yeah, it's still bugged. But as you mention, it should work perfectly fine. We're actually deprecating the lan flag and offline mode, and replacing it with the lan_only_server privacy setting. In settings.ini if you put this under the [network] heading:

lan_only_server = true

Then it will not broadcast your server to the listings, nor allow external connections. (This is equivalent to choosing "lan" from the server creation screen in the game).

As far as LAN/offline, yeah, it's still bugged. But as you mention, it should work perfectly fine. We're actually deprecating the lan flag and offline mode, and replacing it with the lan_only_server privacy setting. In settings.ini if you put this under the [network] heading:

lan_only_server = true

Then it will not broadcast your server to the listings, nor allow external connections. (This is equivalent to choosing "lan" from the server creation screen in the game).

Oh, Ok! Thank you very much! I will try that instead.

The thing that was worrying me with this was that I didn't know if it will reject or not external connections.

Aha, I'm willing to bet the caves crash if they are a slave but can't connect to the master. I'll look into that.

I think it is related, yeah.

Since I have in my configs pause_when_empty = true and I noticed that the caves server doesn't pause when empty if it is not connected to the master. :-)

Maybe this will help you somehow... :grin:

• Developer

Oh, Ok! Thank you very much! I will try that instead.

The thing that was worrying me with this was that I didn't know if it will reject or not external connections.

I think it is related, yeah.

Since I have in my configs pause_when_empty = true and I noticed that the caves server doesn't pause when empty if it is not connected to the master. :-)

Maybe this will help you somehow... :grin:

Ah, didn't know that, thanks for mentioning it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New version of the caves beta has been release, please continue the conversation here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58342-caves-beta-october-6th-update/

Archived