Realm of the Shadows (Don't Starve lore's movie suggestion)

Movie for DS's lore  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this lore needs a conclusive movie?

• Yes, to conclude it
    • Yes, but not to conclude it
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think the title being "Realm of the Shadows" is a good title?

• Yes, I like it
    • Could be slightly better
    • I like the game's title for the movie better
    • Could work as a subtitle and the game's title as the main title for the movie
    • No
    • I don't think DS's lore needs a movie at all

Okay, so, after listening to the DST's main soundtrack and was at the starting screen, I felt like I was about to watch a movie and not about to play a game. The new soundtrack was just so very movie and not too much game like, like the DS's soundtrack. This made me feel like; "Okay, DS needs a movie, asap!"

So, if we are going to have a movie to open up the lore to the end for us, what shall it be called? Don't Starve is a great name for a game, but for a movie, it doesn't sound too good. I thought about it the lore of the game and it mainly showed itself to be about knowledge (science and magic) and where certain people from this world discover the secrets of the universe which they are not supposed to know; something in terms of parralele universes and alternate dimensions, as well as with the thought of power hungry shadow creatures who want nothing more but the torment of creatures such as us; humans.

I concluded from that, that if there will be a movie, the title needs to include the words "Realm" (referring to other universes and dimensions) and "Shadows" (implying Them) and what I could come up with as the title was "Realm of the Shadows".

What do you think? Do you think that this lore needs a conclusive movie? If so, what do you think of this title? Any good or somethjng else could be better?

The soundtrack seems more like a carnival tone when I first heard it.

The opening screen in general looks like some advertisement poster for an entertainment show. It definitely gives the tone that it's some act that people are watching (all the emblems, the disclaimer from Maxwell, etc)

There's a quote that people like to atribute to Hidetaka Myazaki(and sometiems to Lincoln) that goes somewhere along the lines of "People should stop making games like movies or movies like games, and actually do game-like games and movie-like movies".

Games and movies(and most other artsy media with more story than paintings and sculpture) don't really go well with the transitioning from one to the other. Even when it's done perfectly(was it ever? I guess LotR's book to movie.), something is lost along the way, and they never feel like the same thing, but rather as different takes on the same base material. It is hard, and maybe impossible, to take something like a game, specially a game that has most of it's plot fun due to the vagueness of it, and make part of it in a medium which usually depends on some clarity of the plot to remain entertaining.

I'm well against making movies out of games, as the best of those 2 hardly ever seem compatible(when was the last time you played a game just for the plot[not that "plot"], or watched a movie for just the way the characters acted and interacted with the environment[Mad Max doesn't count. It's effing Mad Max]?), and I don't think Don't Starve would really benefit from a movie other than some flavour 5 minute movies(Forbidden Knowledge) for some minor clarification.(and neither would it for FNAF, mind you, but people don't seem to hear me.)

AAAHHH! STOP! I CAN'T TAKE THE "DONT STARVE SHOULD BE A MOVIE" THREADS! IT CANT BE PUT IN A MOVIE, THE LORE IS TOO MYSTERIOUS FOR A SOLID MOVIE, AND IF IT TOOK PLACE IN THE GAME IT WOULD BE BORING AFTER 20 MINUTES BECAUSE ONCE YOU BUILD A SOLID BASE IT'S MAINLY KEEPING IT UP AND BASHING HOUNDS.

GEEZE, SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK, I THINK I SHATTERED THE BUTTON UPON PRESSING IT. ANYWAY, DON'T STARVE DOES NOT NEED A MOVIE. IT NEVER WILL. THE LORE IS GOOD IN SHORT SECRETY SHOTS THAT GETS YOU TO SCRATCH YOUR HEAD, AND DOES NOT NEED AN ENDING ANY TIME SOON.

Who here heard what MatPat said about Video Game Movies?

Because that would apply here.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind a DS movie. It's just companies are jerks and want some of the movies to go their way *COUGH COUGH* UWE BOLL *COUGH COUGH* but you lose the aspect of most games in a movie. Far Cry, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, FNAF, Mario. You lose the 3rd aspect in them, which is "Interaction". The other aspect(s) should be obvious.

Who here heard what MatPat said about Video Game Movies?

Because that would apply here.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind a DS movie. It's just companies are jerks and want some of the movies to go their way *COUGH COUGH* UWE BOLL *COUGH COUGH* but you lose the aspect of most games in a movie. Far Cry, Minecraft, Tomb Raider, FNAF, Mario. You lose the 3rd aspect in them, which is "Interaction". The other aspect(s) should be obvious.

But that's just a theory...  A GAME THEORY!  Thanks for watching!

You should've seen this coming, ya know

I was not hoping to have the whole lore be put into the movie, just the parts near the ending or so... Though thinking about it, it would then confuse people who haven't played the game itself, I guess...

Well, the Forbiden knowledge trailer, RoG trailer (not the DST RoG one, that one sucked as hrll; just the last trailer made worse... With the exception of that cool Klei window intro, that was quite cool), The Final Act and bits of update trailers which were animated were amazing. If that can be done well, then may be, just maybe, we could have episode instead of a movie? Not like having season list and each episode beinga follow-up of the last one, but rather each episode showing its own part of the story. Say, the first episode is about Maxwell, and how he became a dark magic magician and so on, then the next episode is about Willow and what happened at the orphenige and how she ended up in the DS world, and so on and so forth for each character (to keep the hype up, may be each episode to be released like every 3weeks or so) until Wilson being the last, and each episode could be like 15 or 20 minutes long.

Now that I think about it, yeah, episodes would be much better than a movie.

• Developer

I was not hoping to have the whole lore be put into the movie, just the parts near the ending or so... Though thinking about it, it would then confuse people who haven't played the game itself, I guess...

Well, the Forbiden knowledge trailer, RoG trailer (not the DST RoG one, that one sucked as hrll; just the last trailer made worse... With the exception of that cool Klei window intro, that was quite cool), The Final Act and bits of update trailers which were animated were amazing. If that can be done well, then may be, just maybe, we could have episode instead of a movie? Not like having season list and each episode beinga follow-up of the last one, but rather each episode showing its own part of the story. Say, the first episode is about Maxwell, and how he became a dark magic magician and so on, then the next episode is about Willow and what happened at the orphenige and how she ended up in the DS world, and so on and so forth for each character (to keep the hype up, may be each episode to be released like every 3weeks or so) until Wilson being the last, and each episode could be like 15 or 20 minutes long.

Now that I think about it, yeah, episodes would be much better than a movie.

I'd rather Klei didn't waste their time and money in making this, and rather focused purely in the game and puzzles for it.

15 - 20 Minutes? Do you have any idea how time consuming that'd be?

I'd rather Klei didn't waste their time and money in making this, and rather focused purely in the game and puzzles for it.

15 - 20 Minutes? Do you have any idea how time consuming that'd be?

That's why I suggested each one of them to come out every 3 weeks or so... Why are you being so ignorant a lot of the time?

@XirmiX@ImDaMisterL,  ey, get a room.

But really, those are extremely long short movies, especially considering how well animated and professional Klei likes to do their stuff, so it would take a lot of the artist's time, aswell as reducing the value of the individual animations. The scarcer they are, the more you can apreciate them.

Also, those trailers were made for a purpose, to promote their new stuff or do a super fancy announcement. These would just be animations for the sake of animation.

That would STILL leave them with barely no time to work in the game.

Why are YOU so ignorant most of the time?

If you mean ignorant in terms of the subject, well, I'm not "know it all", my friend. In terms of actually understanding what the other person has to say, well, then I'm not ignorant; I read and take the points of the other people acknowledged and then make my response. The way I see you being ignorant is because of you making a response whilst leaving certain parts of what I had to say just hanging there or you're misunderstanding or misrepresenting what I'm intending to imply.

Either way, lets settle down before it goes into a flame war... why does it always go into flame wars? Is it because you say something that sounds offensive to other people but actually you mean what you say literally? Is that how flame wars begin? That's just... Weird :/

Though, in terms of your point that "it would leave them barely any time to work on the game", well, if say they work on the game and the episodes (but not to over do it, of course), but take their time with the episodes, so similarly to Gravity Falls, it would be a few episodes released in a period of 3 weeks each for a while, but would have been worked on for longer before hand. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. In case you don't, here's an example:

They work a few months on the episodes along with the game. Then the first episode is released. then after 3 weeks another and after 3 more another one, meaning that they would have those months to prepare a few episodes and the ending ones could be finished whilst the first few are being released.

You called for a movie, yet you want a TV Show. 

OMG, seriously?! Re-read my posts in this topic if you haven't read them the first time. There's this thing called "changing your mind" and after reading posts of a few people, I thought that I agree with them on the movie being a bad idea. Having a "TV show" wouldn't actually be too bad; there are games which have TV shows and I guess vice versa and both the games and the episodes work well together for lore or something along the lines.

Do you ever change your mind? I'm sure you do, so why would you be surprised?

Archived