Dragonfly in melee is impossible for one player

It doesn't matter if I have 8 Weather pains, it doesn't matter if I have like 7 or so pigs following me with Battle helms on, it doesn't matter if the Pigs are the ones attacking her; Dragonfly's main priority is to kill the player.

There's no way to melee kill Dragonfly in DST on your own by doing it the legit way (and by legit I mean the way you're supposed to fight her, which is in fact melee).

I know dragonfly was balanced for a multiplayer experience and still it is possible to kill her on your own, if you use gunpowder and such and easy to get scales with the knockout in place, but I really think that it sucks that you can't kill her on your own, even with minions via melee. I'm just really disappointed. My Weather Pain tornadoes barely stopped her moving at all (as well as because of that she barely got hit by the tornadoes that often) and so did my pig minions with battle helms on (and actually they got hit by my tornadoes more often than the tornadoes hit the Dragonfly). Because dragonfly doesn't even do the damage animation whilst being hit as often as she did whilst in single player.

I'm not complaining about how hard Dragonfly is to beat. I just really want to kill her on my own via melee, because unless I have a good computer (which I DON'T) then playing with others will just result in all of us getting lag and killed instantly anyway. And no, I did not use a Scalemail or more (I could have got 3 Scalemails and I already have one built) because it's a waste. For one, the durability for scalemail will degrade x2 because of the DST nerf thing for armour and I get Scales from Dragonfly, so if anybody (@Asparagus I'm looking at you) wanted to make a video showing how you can (if it is possible) kill Dragonfly via melee through similar methods which I did, without using items that make her go to sleep, gunpowder and Scalemail, then that'd be awesome.

Also... how do I get back to my previous save files? I can move back max 10 saves, right?

without using items that make her go to sleep, gunpowder and Scalemail, then that'd be awesome.

Thats quite retarded.  You're asking how to beat the Dragonfly with 2 arms tied behind your back.  It may be possible you can melee it 1 player but if you restrict yourself so much you're doomed right out of the gate.  You may as well put on there no using Dark Sword or helmets only.  If you're having problems defeating a multiplayer boss single handedly maybe you should use ALL the items in your arsenal first and THEN complain its too hard.

Asking for a way to kill a boss designed to be killed with 4 people by yourself, in melee where it is strongest, without using any "cheap tricks", is really stupid. Its supposed to be nearly impossible to do alone, requiring either massive amounts of resources or extreme skill.

One of the great things about Don't Starve is how it offers players the choice of using the environment, using craftables, or using their own character to survive and overcome challenges. We're encouraged to use one or all to overcome our challenges, and there's no one right or wrong way.

Except, perhaps, when a boss monster with 27.5K HP appears in multiplayer. Oh wait, there's still no one correct way because "options". There's definitely a wrong way though.

If you want to go at it alone, unarmored, and hit with a Dark Sword 400-plus times, be my guest, it's your funeral. Before you go out in a blaze of glory though, can you pass me all that illegit gunpowder you're not doing anything else with? Thanks.

But I want to kill it the legit way by myself! It makes things more fun, as I have nothing else to do in my world.

But sleep items are legit. It's not like you're using mods to nerf it or the console. The sleep items and such are things that you can get legitimately in the game to use as you please. There's nothing that makes it cheating in any way. 

Impossible to kill Bearger while naked using just your fists w/out kiting too.

Sounds like you have your next challenge, sir. : )

Even that would be easier than meleeing Dragonfly on your own in DST. Of course, I can use Campfires, right? Cause otherwise Night will be the end of me and not the Bearger. And I think that I'd get a lot of fur tufts from fighting bearger with my bare fists, so... I'll actually try that, but I'll still use armour (may be just one grass suit or something) as I lag and when I lag, I can't even kill a spider. And since the battle will be long, I will need food with me. I guess eating cooked meat would be the best in getting your stomach full without losing sanity and least amount of health gained.

Ok so what you're asking, if I'm hearing you correctly, is to kill the dragonfly using primarily (or solely) melee weapons and no scale mail. Assuming you are able to wall up all the lavae, and you have tons of jerkey and healing items, and you have plenty of log suits (or marble if you also don't want to kite) and plenty of helmets, then, while it would be horribly annoying, it doesn't seem like it should be impossible. Someone more dedicated than I could probably get a video even.

My knowledge of the DST dragonfly is very limited. I never mess with that monster. I play with my wife and brothers who are all pretty noobish and they would get murdered for sure so I just avoid it all together. I can't take it on on my own.

For one, the durability for scalemail will degrade x2 because of the DST nerf thing for armour and I get Scales from Dragonfly, so if anybody (@Asparagus I'm looking at you) wanted to make a video showing how you can (if it is possible) kill Dragonfly via melee through similar methods which I did, without using items that make her go to sleep, gunpowder and Scalemail, then that'd be awesome.

Alright O__O

Actually, you can... using the "6 hits then dodge" kiting method, and then sealing off the lava pools you can do it... the only trouble with her is her lavae interrupting your attacks and overwhelming you... get them out of the equation and you're golden. I'd show you but yeah... when the "lag" hits me (because I need a new computer... I fee you @__@), a video of me successfully doing it without getting damaged would be difficult... but it is doable...

HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THIS

Because melee is the most generic fighting method in the game and considering that on your own you could easily beat the dragonfly via Sleepy time stories/Fan flute + 140 gunpowder and that Dragonfly was balanced for the sake of multiplayer, melee methods of multiple players seems like the most legit way to fight her and I thought that if I substituted the players with Pigs wearing battle helmets that this could work, but nope, Dragonfly comes after me no matter if the pigs get more hits on her than me myself.

Umm Xirmix, I think you're missing the entire point of the Dragonfly's changes in Don't Starve Together. The Dragonfly's changes were implemented to stop her from going on massive rampages and burning everything down (Making her the new willow), and also the fact that there should be a combined effort to take down a giant with a large amount of health, which is pretty explanatory to the fact that she now has over 20k health and has a speed boost and the fact that dragonfly procs onto the player because It's obvious that you should have a team of people with you.

Simply rushing in as wigrid or another character with a dark-sword, weather pain, isn't good enough to kill her.

So I came to this thread, and all I saw was a dude who asked a question, then get raged on because everyone thought his question/assumptions/whatever were stupid. I'm not new to the Internet, I know that's how this place works, it's a cesspool of the worst humanity has to offer, but seriously couldn't anyone besides asparagus just answer the friggin question with something constructive and move on? Seriously guys? Why all the flaming?

I did just wake up, and am a little pissed to be awake going to do research this early, so I'm a bit touchy. Also some people did just ask questions that may have been legitimate, so my apologies to them. But the way I see it this thread is mostly just potshots at one person and should be locked up.

Edit: too lazy to delete, I'm on my phone, I'm grumpy just ignore me.

I'm beginning to wonder if XirmiX actually knows the meaning of legit.

I do know the meaning, however have forgotten the phrase that describes it, though I do know when to use the word, thank you very much. You wouldn't see me saying something like "it is illegitemate for the Dragonfly to have 27.5k health" now would you?

Couldn't you just get some speed items, like a walking cane, etc...  And have the pigs go after her while you run for your life?  Sure, you'll be there a while, but with good kiting skills I assume it's possible.  Maybe as Webber bring a Huge Horde of spiders, see what they can do.

There's no way to melee kill Dragonfly in DST on your own by doing it the legit way (and by legit I mean the way you're supposed to fight her, which is in fact melee).

The way you're 'supposed' to fight her is with a group.

If you want to take her solo you will need to use some clever tactics. At the very least you will need to find a way to deal with the lavae. I think the two best ways are either wall off the pools, or use a well placed flingomatic or two. Once you do that you can easily kill her with a ham bat and some armor. Of course you may need several sets depending on how good you are at dodging.

@Johnnyprofane, the problem isn't what question was asked, or even who asked it...it's the manner in which the question was asked. It's presumptuous and passively insulted a fair majority of the player base. Do that, and you tend to see claws come out. I do agree that mods should keep a careful eye on this thread though, and make sure it doesn't spiral too far off-topic.

Couldn't you just get some speed items, like a walking cane, etc...  And have the pigs go after her while you run for your life?  Sure, you'll be there a while, but with good kiting skills I assume it's possible.  Maybe as Webber bring a Huge Horde of spiders, see what they can do.

I should make a video of that...

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/55098-6-pigs-1-dragonfly-nsfw-video/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/55157-defeating-the-dragonfly-and-more-video/

:3

Archived