Dragonfly in melee is impossible for one player

We are noobs compared to this guy, truMadness.  I dunno if he reads the forums or not but regardless he took this challenge and threw down the gauntlet.  He not only solo's Dragonfly with melee but he's trying to do it as fast as possible.  This is his latest vid with a time of 44:29, thats from spawn to kill.  Take a gander here:

http://www.twitch.tv/trumadness/c/6952339

So not only is it possible its quite easy.  To prove it I've done it as well now, not as impressively fast nor as fine tuned but I did do it.  You can watch my terrible attempt here:

http://www.twitch.tv/clwnbaby/v/8392955

or visit my channel and watch all my rage and failed attempts in the past couple broadcasts.  So there you have it, melee only Dragonfly easy to do.

I agree. I think all giants should be able to be killed mele-wise by only one player....But then again, I seem to be on my own with this belief.

Playing a multiplayer game in a single player fashion should be allowed, I hate having to depend on other people to take down bosses.

I've killed the Dragonfly mysefl, on my own via melee (mostly) once in DST, but I had 5/6 of the magma pools walled up, so it's sorta cheating? The problem for me is that when you want to rely on other people to fight a boss such as a dragonfly, the problem is rubberbanding and lag. You could kill the dragonfly, melee with 6 people, each with a few armour sets, a spear or a ham bat or somrthing and some healing/food healing items and so one person would be sitting at each pool and whilst the dragonfly transitions between the pools, the players could attack her, but again, the problem is the connection and the lag with rubberbanding; each player needs a powerful computer with powerful connection to do this smoothly, which would be like 1/10000 or so out of the total players. And because of that, people tend to just knockout the dragonfly to get the scales, making them a way of farming instead of fighting for it, like yoy basically do for all the other giants, which sucks. Not to mention that, although it is quite fun to fight the dragonfly, taking about an hour to do it, well it gets a little boring when you get like mid-way. May be it would be wiser to reduce Dragonfly's health and increase her range of attacks and randomise the attack patterns as well as randomising a bit the time it takes until the next attack is done (so, say may be between 3 -4 seconds) because what makes the game more intriguing is the variation and having more randomisation in attacks would very well make an interresting battle. Otherwise, it's kind of lame that the Dragonfly spews more Lavae than she actually attacks the players.

she's not that hard to fight, hit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, dodge, repeat... the only TRUE issue with fighting her is her meddling LAVAE...

without them ruining your timing and interfering with your fight, you have no issue...

bring about a set of armor + spares

seal off all the lava ponds where she spawns lavae and you're golden.

If you're playing as a client, it would be advised you bring the host along and some pigs, and instead of 5 hits try doing less but make sure the host is the one she's targeting... trying to dodge her attacks with lag is a death sentence...

Actually, it's completely possible to kill her in DST! The easiest way is to make a square of stone walls around yourself with a firepit and ice flingomatic inside. You'll need A LOT of armor and food (preferably football helmets or Wigfrid's helms, as well as dragonpies or honey hams) and with the ice flingo you'll get rid of the larvae AND get rocks at the same time. You just need to have grass walls on the outside so the flingo will target them as they burn

@Asparagus and @kazoooo I meant without walls, flingos or any cheap tricks. Just melee, which IS impossible for one player, because of the sheer amount of Lavae she spews. I would prefer if the Dragonfly was harder to beat herself than dealing with overwhelming amounts of Lavae. It would be much more plesent and a more of an awesome experience if she spewed one Lavae from each pond (so 6 in total) and only when those Lavae are killed off would she go and make more (of course she would go into rage mode after all the Lavae are dead from there on) but would only do so after going out of Rage mod.

I dont see how walls are a cheap trick:/

I mean, I think when they designed the fight they intended for it to have stages. Dragonfly would enrage when you killed its lavae so the fight would get progressively harder. I doubt they intended for the fight to take place in a small pen within the Dragonfly arena while the Lavae all ineffectually rub the wall the outside of your little enclosure. 

Granted, this strategy is pretty much the only way 1 player can really beat the Dragonfly but it's pretty cheesey. 

Honestly, I hate the fact that you can kill her very easily with cheap tricks and it's so difficult when you're doing it melee! I first intended to write this in the other topic where someone complained about how 27.5k health is too much, but I lost internet connection, ergo all of what I wrote was lost. So here are mevhanics whivh I would prefer she would have and I'm sure many others would too:

Make dragonfly herself more harder to fight and not depend on the sheer amounts of Lavae. To be honest, any mob that can attack you is highly deadly in numbers, not just Lavae, but Lavae are extra deadly due to them being able to set you on fire. So, if we're gonna reconstruct her mechanics, this is how it could work; Dragonfly, along with all the other giants, would have x3 health (I realized x2 would be too easy and Dragonfly with that x2 amount of health might not even go into rage mode once. You'll understand why later), meaning her total health would be 8250. Once aggroed, she would perform a stomp attack (without the rings of fire), which, if something or someone stands too close to her, would get hit and lose health from and after that, she would have an angry expression on her face, just like if she was in rage mode. After she performs that attack, she will then have 70% chance to do a swipe attack and 30% chance to do a triple stomp attack (still without the rings of fire though) for the first 5 attacks. After that, her attack pattern would change to 70% chance of doing a swipe attack, 20% chance of doing a tripple stomp attack (still without rings of fire) and 10% of going to each lava pool to spew out 1 Lavae (spewing 6 Lavae out in total). Once that is done, she would go back to having 70% of carrying out swipe attack and 30% chance of carrying out tripple stomp attack (still with no rings of fire) as her attacks. The Lavae would of course attack as usual, but they would keep away from dragonfly of a certain range so that she would not hit them when performing a stomp attack. If all Lavae are killed off beforr the Dragonfly is killed, the Dragonfly would then enter rage mode and perform one tripple stomp attack, this time with rings of fire. She would then, whilst in rage mode, would have 70% chance of doing a swipe attack, 20% chance of doing a tripple stomp attack with rings of fire and 10% chance of doing an attack, where she breathes out fire to the ground for like 4 seconds and in a range that would disable all the players from hitting her without getting burnt. The Dragonfly would stay in rage mode for like a minute or so before "cooling down" and would then loop back to having 70% chance of a swipe attack and 30% chance of doing a tripple stomp attack without the rings of fire for five or so hits and so forth. Once dragonfly loses half of her health in the battle, she would get knocked out for 5 seconds, within which time the players would need to deal to her 1500 damage to get extra scales, something that's very unlikely to be done by one player without any extra help. If the player or players do manage to deal that damage within the 5 second period of dragonfly being knocked out. If she gets knocked out during rage mode, she would then go out of it as soon as she is knocked out, even if the timer of 1 minute of her in rage mode has not yet finished. If she gets knocked out whilst Lavae are still present, the Lavae would still attack the players. So really, it would be possible for the Dragonfly to get knocked out once. After she wakes up from knockout, the dragonfly would either follow the pattern of attacks she has that of not having Lavae present or the one that has Lavae present, depending on if they actually are. The reason why her having double the health wouldn't really be enough is because she might just get killed easily during the knockout if players are buffed enough. Also, to make it harder, she would only be present in the world during Summer and once killed would come back in the next Summer.

So do you guys think that would be better or worse mechanics for the dragonfly?

Archived