Is there a point to picking anyone other than Wilson and Wigfrid?

After l have clocked in over 200 ingame hours of don't starve, I can say for certain that they are, as of this moment, the best characters in the game.

Wigfrid is (to me) considered the best due to her innately good ability to fight, she starts with a decent weapon and 80% damage-reducing helmet with double the durability of a football helmet.  She regens sanity and health after killing things, and her meat-only diet is hardly an obstacle once you get a crockpot going (meatballs and meaty stews are incredibly easy to make, although with wigfrid's 120 hunger cap, meatballs are probably best since meaty stew restores 150).  She also (according to the wiki anyways) has a passive 25% damage reduction.  Point is, her weakness is a minor inconvenience at best and her spear and helm are craftable, with gold being the only expensive reagent, and once you find the pig king, it is no longer an expense.

Wilson has no weaknesses and has very solid stats.  Not only does this make him ok as it is, but his beard helps considerably to stay warm during winter and his beard hairs are shaved to make meaty touch stones.  He is the only character in the game that can easily get beard hairs, as getting them from rabbits can be tidious and time consuming (unless you go out and capture like 20 rabbits then you might get enough hairs for one effigy while Wilson's full beard will yield enough for two).  Having those meat effigys are an incredibly nice insurance policy and nice to have if a friend or yourself gets cheap shotted and want to revive, since the meat effigy doesn't give you a revival penalty.  As for the most important bit about his beard: the LOOK!  I mean, come on, if your beard reaches that kind of length, no monster is gonna be able to kill you.  Hell, you might as well tack on a damage modifier on with that thing or give it a couple extra inventory slots so you can hide things in your beard.  Maybe even a sanity aura.  Joking aside, Wilson has no weaknesses and one considerable strength, making him arguably #2 character to pick, behind Wigfrid.

As who comes next, well...there's a couple ok characters, but there's also some that are just not worth picking.  Wolfgang, I feel, is too hard to use effectively for his damage modifier for how fast his hunger depletes.  I attempted to survive through a winter with him and while it wasn't too difficult once I had a solid base set, he starves a little too quickly and if you don't get lucky and get a crockpot going near some easy food sources, you'll always be struggling to kill things because wimpy wolfgang's damage is halved, which is even less than Wendy!  He has increased sanity loss from darkness and monsters, which also makes it a nuisance.  I'm not saying he's useless, but his increased hunger loss is far too cumbersome to work around for the damage/health buff, especially when wolfgang has a hunger spasm with 3 spiders and a tallbird up his rear end ready to blast him in his face.

Wickerbottom is not bad if used properly.  Here's her biggest weakness, and it's a very glaring weakness: no sleep.  Sleep is the easiest way to regain health and sanity, and she can't get it.  Working around this little factor can be absurdly difficult if you don't have the proper materials/items to work around it.  Her book also consumes quite a deal of sanity, so unless you are very knowledgable and well-prepared while playing as her, your sanity will probably be the death of you.  Since it's not difficult to build a science machine, her knowledge factor isn't as strong as people think; it's just a convenience thing early game, which in the hands of an experienced player, means nothing.  Spoiled food isn't that difficult to work around, so I don't see it as a very noticeable weakness, but it is worth noting.  Besides, spoiled green mushrooms/cactus flesh don't restore sanity anyways so you shouldn't be letting it spoil in the first place.  Overall, not a bad character since her stats are solid, but I definitely consider her weaker than Wilson and Wigfrid, especially considering her high skillcap.

Wendy isn't a bad character, but her .75 damage modifier makes it impossible to get morsels with a boomerang, which is very annoying.  Also, it makes it more difficult for her to kill things in general.  Fortunately, with Abagail this is offset, but Abagail can sometimes get in the way and make it hard to trap rabbits, and she obviously can't kite.  Her AoE attack makes it a wonderful thing to farm massive waves of spiders which helps in ways that can't be easily measured, but that's about it for Abagail's strength.  She won't be of much use in a fight against single-target foes and she will eventually die.  Respawnable, but takes time.  She doesn't lose as much sanity during darkness or fighting monsters which is nice, but the damage modifier is enough to be very annoying.  Even with Abagail, I won't put her on the same tier as Wilson and Wigfrid.

As for Webber, well, his 100 sanity and constant threat to pigs makes it very difficult to play him well.  Yea, he can eat monster meat with no penalties, but he can't draw spiders out during the day without punching the nest (which is a horrible idea).  Being neutral is only a convenience factor; spiders are easily outran.  Using them as minions can be really helpful when used properly, especially when starting the great spider wars.  Food is not an issue with him since monster meat is absurdly easy to get.  His beard isn't as good as people think; it's only really good for getting silk since the insulation factor sucks compared to Wilson's.  Decent character, but his max sanity of 100 is far too big an inconvenience and that is what keeps him from standing up there with Wilson and Wigfrid, especially with the presence of ghosts on your server.

WX-78's base stats are so low it's embarrassing.  Starting off at 100 for all stats, he's the weakest character in the game, even worse than Willow (and that's saying a LOT) Rain is a considerable annoyance especially if low on hp early on due to lack of pig skin for an umbrella.  Now here's his biggest issue: gears.  Finding gears will always be too hard because everyone else will need them for things that are just as important: fridges and fling-o-matics, among other recipes.  There aren't nearly enough gears to sustain both the players and WX-78 unless the desert biome is being picked nonstop in an attempt to get more, and at a drop rate of 1%, good luck with that.  Definitely the worst character in the game.  Even if you get your hands on a couple gears and buff your stats up to be at least on par with everyone else, these stats are lost upon death, not to mention you might not find another gear for a long time, and without a fling-o-matic, your time in summer will be a living hell.  If there's more than one WX-78, gg.

Willow is 2nd worst; I don't think anyone needs to hear the explanation why.

Basically, Wigfrid is god tier with Wilson standing comfortably one step behind her with his beautiful manbeard.  Everyone else except WX-78 and Willow are capable but not as easy or good, and WX-78 and Willow are in the shadows being haunted by images of Wes pointing and laughing.

Any questions or thoughts reguarding my opinion of the character statuses of DST, please let me know.  I would be interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

alright well first of all, I'd like to ask why you go between don't starve, and don't starve together like make up your mind also by the way Wx-78 starts with all stats 150 in don't starve together in don't starve he starts with stats at 100 so until you respond back on whether your talking about don't starve together or don't starve I can't make a valid argument...well I can but it take a lot of time...i'm lazy...don't look at me like that. ;-;

alright well first of all, I'd like to ask why you go between don't starve, and don't starve together like make up your mind also by the way Wx-78 starts with all stats 150 in don't starve together in don't starve he starts with stats at 100 so until you respond back on whether your talking about don't starve together or don't starve I can't make a valid argument...well I can but it take a lot of time...i'm lazy...don't look at me like that. ;-;

Yea, everything I mentioned was for DST, but some of the information I got from the wiki so it could be wrong.  His stats start off as 150 in DST?  Odd, the wiki said his stats were 100.  If that's the case, Willow now takes his spot at the bottom, but I'd still say he's on wolfgang's level which is towards the bottom.  The inability to eat gears really hurts him in DST due to their scarcity.  Can't have the robot eating all the gears you need for ice box's and fling-o-matics.

I really can't argue with Wigfrid being incredible (Not only an incredible regen ability for herself, but easy helmets for everyone!) but after that I'd say Wicker/Wilson/Wendy/Wolfgang are pretty even. Webber's low max sanity is definitely a drawback, he has upsides so it's not like he's a terrible choice (e.g. Willow, whose only real perk is hugging campfires at night to offset night sanity loss) but you have to highly manage his sanity if you don't want to fight nightmares all the time, so it's an... 'interesting' pick for someone to make.

Wolfgang's drawbacks aren't as bad as you imply, I'd say. Once a base gets set up, food shouldn't be a big issue the majority of the time, unless you're playing on a public server and don't have much good cooperation going on so everything is terrible anyway. Double damage is very helpful for taking out the giants, and somewhat for the other bigger combat targets (Tentacles, miniboss-types, etc)

Wicker's drawback is pretty notable, but as long as you don't have more than one Wicker on the team, she can just be the first priority for stuff like honey->taffy and green caps and you should be fine. Can't use the books too much (unless you're good at remembering to go on green cap harvest trips; those things are pretty common, luck permitting, in both forest biomes and in swamps) until you secure sanity regen equipment, but once you get it you can just sew it up in the future so you're set forever. Sleepytime, tentacle summon, and farming book are all very useful effects that no other character can even remotely duplicate (considering each server only gets one pan flute ever right now!)

Comparatively Wilson gets... some automatic warmth that makes Winter easier, yeah, but it's not really a big deal to obtain one piece of good winter gear and deal with using it. The beard is nice, I like it, but it's effect isn't very special. Once you have a puffy vest or beefalo hat you can go long enough without freezing the beard doesn't matter much. Easy meat effigies is convenient for sure, especially since you can't mass stockpile rabbits now, so it makes him a good character. But I wouldn't say these replacable effects make him outclass the others.

Wendy's Abigail admittedly falls short and dies whenever you need to fight something tough, and she mostly falls into spider slaughter power and an easy go for making a bee box. Assistance in smaller fights is enough to give Wendy a notable boost above other characters, and she's really strong at Dusk and especially Night (at which point she's like an entire second player character). However, since she only really falls short when it comes to giants, Abigail gives Wendy a good edge for any solo combat trips, so it evens out. Not a big importance to the team like the other character perks but handy enough to be worth a pick for reasons other than liking Wendy. Not quite as good as Wicker or Wilson whose perks help the whole team.

I'll just do the  characters I play as most.

Wickerbottoms glaring weakness is that she can't sleep?

Because sleep was something that was seriously needed for every character in the scheme of things. Yeah.

You still have green caps, cooked cactuses, flowers, top hats, dapper shirt and other item to help with sanity. She really isn't losing out in the scheme of things here. If anything she gives you more incentive to actually get out and explore because you can't snooze away.

Wigfrid is brilliant, I agree, but we all know that. She's meant to be awesome. She's a dang Valkyrie (actress) for hecks sake. She does have to fight consistently for sanity, though, and gold isn't always plentiful on every game. However, if you like base building, as we all do, there is less incentive to use her because farms mean pretty much nothing for her in the scheme of things, nor berry bushes and bees, even as crock pot filler.

Wilson is the main and first character, so naturally he doesn't have any drawbacks, unless you consider not having anything particularly special about him a bad thing. His beard really does help out in the winter, but if we're being truthful here, a thermal stone and logs/grass/twigs will get you by comfortably enough. The quick meat effigy is his claim to fame here, but anyone with enough experience won't need them or just have less reason to make them. Wilson is the best character for newbs overall, and the best to pick if you start on a server which is already a good amount of days into autumn, as even his short beard can help out somewhat.

Webber is situational. If he can find a good bunch of nests, you don't need to worry about anything else. Catch butterflies, plant flowers, pick flowers and eat butterfly wings and monster meat. Glands for health, silk for stuff. Pretty sweet. If not, even just a couple of nests isn't bad, and he does have his own to add into it. His beard is also helpful, and while not as good as Wilsons is still good to have, and grows quicker too.

Maxwell, when he gets added of course, just going by the mod, has amazing sanity regen, which is his claim to fame as use for a character. Without that, his Armour and weapon would run out soon enough, and his book requires nightmare fuel to function. His sanity regen is balanced by his extreme difficulty  to go insane as well as his poor, poor health. His regen means that sanity items for everyone else is less likely to be picked up, and he can also eat sanity decreasing foods without worry to his... Sanity. Also, he can be a brilliant team player when the base is all set up and many are dead. If he can supply himself with enough health regain via dragon fruit or some such, he's the best for crafting telltale hearts with, since that brilliant sanity regen of his means that he will likely never come into insanity problems.

As for the other characters, people will list their points. In the scheme of things though, every character is worth playing as if you like them, even if you feel they aren't as good as another character. Do I think Wickerbottom, Wigfrid and Maxwell are the best? Certainly. Do I dislike the other characters? No. Do I still play as Webber and Wilson? Of course. People just don't play for their abilities, but because they also like the character in question. That's a good enough reason in itself to think they are the best character, even if stat wise they aren't.

(This is all DST opinions)

I actually think Willow is the best character for beginners to play. Never having to worry about Sanity is pretty awesome for new folk. No disadvantages, really.

Webber is a lot of fun (and sleeping spiders are adorable <3  ) and befriending spiders makes for easy hounds/boss fights. His low sanity makes Winter and Spring a bit hard, but tents make that a non-issue, really. Easy silk, easy life.

@Wusscake,

AHEM

Let us review the characters in the game as they are right now and I hope to let you see why there is plenty of reason to play all of them.

1. Wilson is good all around he has no downsides and decent stats.
  2. Willow is very good for gathering Nightmare Fuel since she can control her sanity quite well, also the ability to craft cheap long lasting torches for her team is nice too.
  3. Wolfgang is quite fun to play around with and his hunger drain rarely makes a difference, Just a strong character, what's not to love?
  4. Wendy is slightly harder to defend since Abigail tends to get her ass kicked if fighting more than a few spiders. The lower sanity drain is nice I guess?
  5. WX-78 is possible the most Overpowered character in Don't Starve and he just got made so much better in DST. He has no downsides. Rain damages you? Regardless of character you always try to avoid the rain so this doesn't change your playstyle. He can store and eat food for it's maximum time, his stats start of great and only get better! And getting hit by lightning makes him a god.
  6. Wickerbottom is also and incredibly strong choice. You are a science machine, she can make spell books to make life easier. Her first downside is she's a picky eater, but usually if you're doing well you have no need to eat spoiled food. So her only downside is that she can't sleep which is negated once you get a Tam O' Shanter.
  7. Wigfrid is awesome all around and she's a great help to her team. She has no downsides.
  8. Webber is also very strong. He has slightly higher hunger and health which is nice and having lower sanity is a blessing in disguise! He can survive on monster meat which is easily obtained in mass by making your spiders fight and on top of that he grows a beard making winter that much easier.
  9. Maxwell can't go insane, his Puppets are useful in chopping trees and mining but useless in a fight. He has low health but that doesn't matter if you don't get hit and you have Night Armour for the moments you do.
  10. Woodie starts with Lucy and his beaver form makes him immune to weather effects.
  11. Wes is the true MVP of the team. That's all there is to say.

I should probably mention that my thoughts on Maxwell & Woodie can change at any time, specifically when they get added into the game.. 

So to sum this up, All the characters are pretty great it just depends on your taste.

wolfgang would be so much better without a wimpy mode and a normalized normal mode. the idea of having to eat alot to get mighty is perfectly fine.  A temporary buff is cool.

but outside of that buff wolf gang does nothing else well.   his normal form is basically wilson  with no beard and a higher hunger penalty.

just remove wimpy form and set his normal form hunger rate to 1.0 just like everyone else.  remove the diminishing power on mighty as hunger diminishes , so he always does double damage when mighty and adjust his huger rate in that form to be a little higher. 

there wolfgang is now as good as wilson and maybe even wiggy.

WX should start with 2 gears , thus he is given a choice between early self upgrading or getting an essential  building up.  that should address his early game issues.

Willow should be immune to summer (period)  sheis fire incarnate. yet a little sun shine bothers her? why ? summer should literally run away in fear of her.

wendy needs to do full damage ,  to keep in line with her frailty just reduce her maximum hp.

Willow should be immune to summer (period)  sheis fire incarnate. yet a little sun shine bothers her? why ? summer should literally run away in fear of her.

I can totally see the reason why people want Willow to be fine in the sun, and in some respects i'd like her to be too, but the game is already lacking difficulty for the experienced. If someone made a mod of her like this, i'd be fine.

Also, fire and heat aren't the same thing, actually. Odd, I know, but look it up.

wolfgang would be so much better without a wimpy mode and a normalized normal mode. the idea of having to eat alot to get mighty is perfectly fine.  A temporary buff is cool.   but outside of that buff wolf gang does nothing else well.   his normal form is basically wilson  with no beard and a higher hunger penalty.
Wolfgang would then only one downside which would be faster sanity loss which is not even that bad cause you would do normal damage to nightmare monsters his more hunger loss downside is a good downside for him since he does that much damage,
 I think she should ether takes less damage from overheating or overheat less so she would be female Wilson ALL HAIL THE QUEEN...Ahem.
wendy needs to do full damage ,  to keep in line with her frailty just reduce her maximum hp.
This bothers people why i'd rather do less damage then have lesser hp, also it's not that hard to keep abigail alive. :/

just remove wimpy form

I disagree.

WX should start with 2 gears

I agree.

Willow should be immune to summer

I STRONGLY Disagree.

wendy needs to do full damage

I disagree.

Also as a possible nerf for Woodie, keep him as he is except make Lucy craftable. She would be an infinite axe as intended but if anyone that isn't Woodie uses her, it takes about 30+ chops to fell a large tree? She could still be infinite but only useful in Woodie's hands. 

You would still need some way to get rid of excess Lucy's so that they don't start taking over the server.. hm

Also as a possible nerf for Woodie, keep him as he is except make Lucy craftable. She would be an infinite axe as intended but if anyone that isn't Woodie uses her, it takes about 30+ chops to fell a large tree? She could still be infinite but only
 I kind of would like it if anyone that wasn't Woodie picked it up and it had durability and they chopped at normal speed but chopped trees in less chops than it normally is also it's called don't starve together so making Lucies for other people and Lucy being useful would make sense cause Willow's lighter, and Wigfrid's battle gear and would make Woodie a more useful part of the team. o3o

I disagree.

I agree.

I STRONGLY Disagree.

I disagree.

Also as a possible nerf for Woodie, keep him as he is except make Lucy craftable. She would be an infinite axe as intended but if anyone that isn't Woodie uses her, it takes about 30+ chops to fell a large tree? She could still be infinite but only useful in Woodie's hands. 

You would still need some way to get rid of excess Lucy's so that they don't start taking over the server.. hm

My only problem with Lucy being craft able would be that she, or at least Woodie thinks the axe can talk.

That's kind of Lucys thing. I wouldn't want to be able to craft multiple Lucys. Perhaps just have it so that if someone else picks it up, it emits a cry of help that starts draining the sanity of the person who picked it up, and Woodie so he has even more incentive to find her again.

As for the other characters, people will list their points. In the scheme of things though, every character is worth playing as if you like them, even if you feel they aren't as good as another character. Do I think Wickerbottom, Wigfrid and Maxwell are the best? Certainly. Do I dislike the other characters? No. Do I still play as Webber and Wilson? Of course. People just don't play for their abilities, but because they also like the character in question. That's a good enough reason in itself to think they are the best character, even if stat wise they aren't.

I did laugh a bit at this. When people discuss anything, of course it's partially to personal preference, why there is even need to write something like this? Especially as it apply to absolutely everything.

But it doesn't change the fact that there are better and worse characters, and I think this is what this topic is about. Someone may love to play bad character, eat bad food or to have less money, so what? Personal preference it's something that shouldn't even be discussed or mentioned and we should rather stick to the facts and longterm experiences.

I pretty much agree with Wusscake. With one exception - Abigail.

That's my top from best to worst characters (only DST):

1. Wigfrid - Not much has to be said. Best character at survival, often best fighter. By that I mean that overall damage dealt by Wigfrid player in certain playthrough will be always higher than Wolfgangs damage. Unless you cheat and lock wolfgang hunger at full 24/7. The thing about Wolfgang is that he avoids (as he should) fight when he is whimpy, and let's be honest here, there is not always enough food to go mighty. So there is a lot those little fights like few lonely spiders, pig or some other minor enemies that just aren't worthy enough to waste food for mighty form. Wigfrid doesn't have to do this, shes partially mighty all the time. Can someone confirm 25% damage reduction? Because if it's true, then oh my god this character is op.

2. Wilson - Awesome character because has good stats and no drawbacks. Beard is really useful for insulation. People say that "freezing it's not a probem". It may not be a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that full beard DOES increase time you can stay warm and use that time to get more resources and use less resources for things like campfire. It looks like minor thing at first, but it's not. Meat effigy is super useful is you actually can make few of them. Wilson it's also most iconic Don't Starve character so that's cool.

3. Wendy - Yes, I really adore Wendy that much to put her at 3rd place. Her ghost can be either awesome or terrible. I think most annoying thing about it is that you cannot put it into "passive" mode. That means walking near Tree Guard or Tentacles will force you to wait for another Abigail. So why I rate it that high? Answer is - Silk. Silk is super important for any base. Sewing Kits, Clothes, Tents (!), it's major survival equipment and no one can farm silk that fast and basically without losing any health. Only Wendy can get 20 silk day 3 if you find few spider dens next to each other, which takes one evening. One more thing that makes that characater awesome is that high ping or lag isn't that much of an issue, and that often happens in multiplayer games. Shes also obviously terrbile at fighting stronger single foes, so Wendy should act as support character in mp games.

4. Wolfgang - I love this character but I must admit, his drawback is just as solid as his advantage. It's really hard to survive in the beggining and you absolutely cannot explore too much because you won't find enough food and you will be forced to stay in whimpy form which is just terrible. I don't entirely understand his mechanics (I based my knowledge on wiki) but from what I know is that he never actually have x2 multiplier. Well, he does for like 2 seconds when you achieve 300 hunger, than it goes down quickly along with his damage until it reaches 225, then his damage is same as Wigfrids. And 225 hunger Wolfgang require a lot of food and even more to maintain that status. Basically if you want to keep Wolfgang damage, you have to eat something all the time, even during fight. 300 Hunger>290>you must eat>300 Hunger>290>eat. Otherwise you will quickly turn into crappy version of Wigfrid. Another nice thing is 25% speed boost, but then again, for how long? One request here: Can someone check how much time it takes for Wolfgang hunger to go down from 300 (x2 damage) to 225 (1.25 damage)?

5. Spiderboy - Nice character but I am not big fan of him. If someone manage to get spiders army, I don't think there is any non-aoe foe that cannot be defeated by Webber. Being able to eat Monster meat is nice, but we use it for meat balls or other recipe anyway, most of the time. Growing Silk it's nice bonus, but you will never get as much and as fast as Wendy does.

6. Wickerbottom - I tried. I really did. I tried to make use of this character. I summoned tentacles, grew berries, put mobs to sleep and really none of this seem very useful to me. Yea I summoned a lot tentacles to get loot spiders and I got some. Then Wendy came, killed 40 of them and went away. Same with Walruses, same with bosses that Wigrid or Wolfgang can just kill in 1 minute. Berries that I made almost always caused food overload in my base and bushes to become withered quicker, passive berries growth speed it's enough. Her drawbacks are really huge. I think this character has biggest drawbacks of all other DST characters. Not being able to sleep is terrible because tent it's cheapest and quickest way to get sanity back. Not being able to eat spoiled food can bite you in the ass sometimes, especially when you are the one who caused it to spoil at the first place by overloading your base with berries, but it's not that bad just like Robot being able to eat spoiled food is not that good. I guess if you are really at the end game, playing with gunpowder and bosses and pan flute is long gone, then maybe her sleepystories is super useful. Overall this character is average and if you don't have quick access to any sanity items or food, it can be terrible.

7. Robot - At first I loved this character, being able to eat spoiled food? Awesome! But then I played and I never really felt need to eat spoiled food. Unless you don't have fridge (unlikely) or make too much food (also unlikely but happens) then there is no real use for this ability. His stats are terrible and in regular multiplayer there is just no way to get gears to nom nom. As Wusscake wrote, there is plenty other important things that require gears, and some servers (even friends only) prefer to have multiple bases which makes it even harder to eat any gears at all. Even if you someone manage to get 14 gears required to max stat, your next death (accidental deaths happen to best and most experienced players) will be most expensive death you had in Don't Starve. Being charged by lightning it's nice bonus but never happened to me. Being damaged by rain is not very painful drawback as getting umbrella is not that hard to get BUT it can be blessing sometimes becuase those little sparkles you emit while damaged by rain can keep Charlie away. It saved my life that one time when I was in terrible spot and haven't any grass on me to make torch. One important thing about him is that he doesn't really have very big drawbacks, so at worst you are just worse version of Wilson that can eat spoiled food.

8. Willow - Not much good about this character. Yea you can make torches which last longer but emit much less light, cool.. I guess. I still prefer regular torches and be able to see anything. Immunity to fire, unless. Sanity gain from fire? That is nice, but I would rather pick Wendy and make as many tents as I want.

I disagree, Wusscake. Killing players when putting them to sleep is what makes a character weak, no matter what strength you are. I learnt this the hard way when fighting against the psycho Flare2V. If he had not had that book, I would've most likely won, even if he used a Dark sword and only a log suit as armor, as I had not only been playing as Wigfrid, had battle helmet and battle spear, log suit and I could make more spears and helmets, but I also had healing items and a ton of food to keep me going. So really, it's all about who has the Pan flutes or Sleepy time stories book while playing as Wickerbottom that makes the winner. Hence why it is so hard to kill Bearger when he's in his hibernation state.

Wolfgang and Wickerbottom are also worth using.

To be honest, I feel as if Wigfrid is just an easier to use version of Wolfgang, but has less potential.

Wigfrid is better overall because she always does increased damage no matter what her hunger is at, and the higher wolfgang's hunger is, the faster it depletes.  Yea he does more damage, but I don't think it does 2x, or maybe his damage scales downwardly so fast it's always closer to 1.5x than 2x.  All I'm saying is that even when mighty at around 275 hunger, I couldn't one shot a spider with a fresh hambat, which, if he has 2x damage, should be happening.  Never killed a spider in 1 hit.

She also has great damage reduction with her god helmet that lasts twice as long as a football helmet.

Willow's craftable lighter sucks because the light aura is so small it is cumbersome to explore in the dark and you wouldn't want to run into a walrus camp, killer bees, spider queen/warriors, etc at night.  It's only really good for keeping charlie away along with gathering stuff in a relatively safe area.  There's no point in using this if you have a mining hat as that is much easier to maintain.

I'm only going to weigh in on Wendy here, but you have an entirely flawed perspective of how she can be played. Wendy's strengths come from being able to fight far larger amounts of enemies than anyone else can, without any cost associated besides a one time upfront payment of 50 sanity.

Abigail is the single greatest NPC in the entire game. Learning how to manage Abigail and protect her from the environment (or more often, herself) is what sets Wendy apart from every other character.

Her power is infinite, with no chance to break or run out; she has the largest DPS against groups of enemies out of anybody in the game, including your precious Wigfrid or even Wolfgang; and she is a regenerating meat ectoplasmic-shield that can be used again and again without any resources required.

If you spend time playing as Wendy you learn to recognize Abigail's biggest pitfalls, which are her undying loyalty to you, and her fluctuating power based on time of day. She tends to suicide herself on Tentacles or Tree Guards if you let them get too close, and she hits like a wet noodle when exposed to daylight.

These weaknesses mean nothing to a prepared player.

I can plan my days around Abigail's fluctuating power, and position myself on the map with the sole intent of letting Abigail murder things once night falls. I can also learn to avoid Tentacles in swamps, or cutting large amounts of trees by myself.

The small perturbations of doing this don't matter in the long run: I'll still have as much time in the day as other characters, I just have to more carefully utilize each segment. I still have access to the same resources as other characters, I just have to rely on other NPCs to do the work for me.

Wendy is the armchair general of Don't Starve. She leads her armies to victory with careful planning and management, with literally the only downside being that she herself takes 25% more hits to kill something than the average character.

Archived