Is there a point to picking anyone other than Wilson and Wigfrid?

6. Wickerbottom - I tried. I really did. I tried to make use of this character. I summoned tentacles, grew berries, put mobs to sleep and really none of this seem very useful to me. Yea I summoned a lot tentacles to get loot spiders and I got some. Then Wendy came, killed 40 of them and went away. Same with Walruses, same with bosses that Wigrid or Wolfgang can just kill in 1 minute. Berries that I made almost always caused food overload in my base and bushes to become withered quicker, passive berries growth speed it's enough. Her drawbacks are really huge. I think this character has biggest drawbacks of all other DST characters. Not being able to sleep is terrible because tent it's cheapest and quickest way to get sanity back. Not being able to eat spoiled food can bite you in the ass sometimes, especially when you are the one who caused it to spoil at the first place by overloading your base with berries, but it's not that bad just like Robot being able to eat spoiled food is not that good. I guess if you are really at the end game, playing with gunpowder and bosses and pan flute is long gone, then maybe her sleepystories is super useful. Overall this character is average and if you don't have quick access to any sanity items or food, it can be terrible.

Wickerbottom's true power comes in the fact that she can overload a base with berries and vegetables. Berries and Vegetables can be fed to Werepigs to obtain poop. Poop can be used to replenish berry bushes and farms to obtain more food.

This is the cycle of Wickerbottom. Too much food? Turn it into poop to in turn make more food.

@Kzisor, Actually it would be more effective to let some of the berries turn into rot which you use on the bushes, and use the poop to make more farms or books.

I'm only going to weigh in on Wendy here, but you have an entirely flawed perspective of how she can be played.

Now that I think about you're right. I just don't play Wendy enough to really know how true power off hand. I should play around with her a bit more.

Wigfrid is just an easier to use version of Wolfgang

This is true but AH! Now what is that I see? A Wigfrid and Wolfgang working together? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS AND WHY IS IT SO POWERFUL?! But really they do work pretty well as a team. 

5. Spiderboy

Actually "Spiderboy" can gather just as much silk as Wendy since he can command spiders to attack each other resulting in a massive war, also it only takes 8 spider eggs to make the war ALMOST never-ending (Since I found that spiders will actually respawn long before the fight ends) effectively making a constant supply of Silk, Glands, and more meat than you could ever hope to eat.

Wickerbottom's true power comes in the fact that she can overload a base with berries and vegetables. Berries and Vegetables can be fed to Werepigs to obtain poop. Poop can be used to replenish berry bushes and farms to obtain more food.

To add to Wickerbottom <3: having lvl1 recipes unlocked from the get-go just adds to your chances of survival. Especially in old servers.

If you have 2 flint but nothing to mine, you can at least make a shovel and dig up moles in the meantime.

You can make spear and logsuit if you get caught by hound attacks on day2 of your spawn.

You can make backpack immediately to gather things you need for a camp later on.

You can make a birdcage without looking for swamp first...

There are lots more little things that I can do with her that makes it fun to choose her.

She's basically a walking camp. A tough old lady who can survive in the wilds as soon as she spawns.

@OP, I'm not saying Wickerbottom is best, but we all have different play styles. Don't claim that so-and-so character is pointless. Case in point: I could never understand how to use Wendy, but I've camped out with people who are just boss when it comes to managing her and her twin. So I wouldn't call Wendy pointless.

Although Wes really is "pointless" in the sense that he has no +++ abilities. But I still like that creepy man. He's useful for when you want a challenge in SP.

I personally love Wendy and Abigail. They were my favorite for so very long. It's just about playing to the characters strengths. For instance, when playing as woody I always had sooooooo many logs. Just so many. Wooden floors beautified my base. I could never figure out wickerbottom, or willow pre-nerf (a torch that never runs out never seemed that great to me since I do little traveling at night).

Of course recently I've been trying to beat adventure mode of DS with willow, and being able to burn spikey trees (did you know they drop a twig, charcoal, and sometimes a log when burnt? Who knew!) and huddle next to them has saved me so many times. The lighter has been incredibly useful. Unfortunately her fire immunity is gone in DST and the lighter has been given a durability, but the fact that the whole team gets better torches isn't so bad. Plus, as others have said managing her sanity can be solved with as little effort as lighting a few fires.

All in all, I love most of the characters, think wickerbottom and Wolfgang are just ok (they're not as fun to play for me) and have struggled for a long time to find a good use for Wes's balloons. Maybe one day.

I feel like I made a mistake before with Wendy's damage, and it would actually take her 33% more hits to kill something by herself.

If a normal character has to deal 1000 damage to a mob in order to kill it, Wendy would have to deal an effective 1334 damage to defeat the same mob.

(1334*0.75)=1000.5

Of course my math might just be completely wrong. I admit, it's been a long time since I took Algebra.

I can totally see the reason why people want Willow to be fine in the sun, and in some respects i'd like her to be too, but the game is already lacking difficulty for the experienced. If someone made a mod of her like this, i'd be fine.

Also, fire and heat aren't the same thing, actually. Odd, I know, but look it up.

um, technically you are wrong.     people get burned as a direct result of the extreme change in temperature  that being proximity to fire has. this change in temperature  is why  things ignite . when the temperature of the surroundings forces the chemical combustion of objects

so while fire is not exactly heat itself . it gives off heat in  focused highly  dangerous amounts.  So yeah i totally expect something that is immune to  fire (something that gives off  some where between 1800  - 9000   degrees in  heat)  to  laugh in the face of a pathetic 90 - 100+ degree summer day.

because willow is clearly not wearing a flame retardant suit , the only obvious answer to why fire cant hurt her is that she is a witch  or a lava monster.

both sound cool but the end result  means  immunity to heat.

Unfortunately her fire immunity is gone in DST

Really? That's terrible. At least it wasn't useful anyway.

I feel like Willow should have natural resistance to overheating, just like Wilson has natural resistance to freezing.

Wickerbottom built in science machine, I never found that useful. Getting science machine it's 10 minutes of gameplay and it doesn't matter if you already found place for base or not, you can simply destroy this science machine later. It's completly useless ability and let's not pretend that first few days matter at all, unless we don't plan to survive for more than 1 autumn.

Well it also means you don't need to harvest specific resources.

I dont know about you but  i don't really need or want to cut down trees  the first two days as  surviving on  carrots and the like is more than possible

that saves a spot for an axe and a spot for logs

she also gets 2 free papyrus which  roughly equates to an early birdcage

she also gets  spells which is cewl.

her down sides in comparison are relatively minor

Wickerbottom built in science machine, I never found that useful. Getting science machine it's 10 minutes of gameplay and it doesn't matter if you already found place for base or not, you can simply destroy this science machine later. It's completly useless ability and let's not pretend that first few days matter at all, unless we don't plan to survive for more than 1 autumn.

She's useful for when you spawn in a resource-barren server. You can survive longer using her. Of course some people choose to join servers in Day 1-10 autumn, so they wouldn't find Wicker very useful in that regard.

I like being able to join old servers and try to survive instead of logging out because there's not a lot of flint or gold or <insert other resource here>.

playstyles playstyles playstyles. Some of the characters need buffs, some need nerfs, but they don't line up to the same playstyle. Wendy is not Wigfrid and Wickerbottom is not Wilson. But they're all good in their own ways. They don't do the same thing, they play differently, and you use that to suit your playstyle.

Also, Suck my Wendy.

Archived