world economy of Don't Starve - endless play possible?

cautys

Hi all,

I thinking about the current stand of the economy of Don't Starve. This new release with first winter options, for now it is only looking, but possibly it will hit the economy of the game more harder in the future. So I make a list of the current resources and think about its availability. So please tell me, if you think some of the resources have a other state so far.

The states I use for the analysis are:

limited - This mean from the beginning after generating a world the amount have a fix maximum and you and the game will never create new ones and you can lower this resource to zero e.g. rocks in the world.

unlimited - This mean, there is a way that this resource will never exhausted if you are protect it and you not destroy the source e.g. berries.

true unlimited - This mean, you have no option or possible way to exhausted this resource, because the game will generate it endless new or the source in unbreakable e.g. seeds or pig king.

Limited resources

• Collect: fireflies, flint, mandrake (inventory), rocks (inventory), trinkets
  • NPC: beefalo, ghost, pigs, tentacle
  • World: berry bush, grass, graves, rabbit hole, rocks (world), sampling

Unlimited resources

• Collect: beefalo wool, berries, carrot, charcoal, cut grass, fish, fruits, gold nugget, log, manure, red gem, silk, twigs
  • NPC: bee, gobbler, Krampus, rabbit, spider, tree guard
  • World: evergreens

True Unlimited resources

• Collect: beard hair (Wilson only), cut reeds, egg, flower
  • NPC: butterfly, frog, hound, pig king, small birds, tall birds
  • World: ponds, reeds, tall bird nest

Few questions you probably have about some classification. Why is Krampus limited?

Because the thinks you can do to be bad are limited to graves (limited resource) and killing birds or rabbits. Birds and rabbits are possibly unlimited. But for killing you need a spear or a tentacle spike and flint and tentacle are limited resources too, so it is possible that you can not be bad in the long run.

Most important for unlimited play is, will you get food and something for fire? Because axe is possible with gold so the tree cycle for log can be endless. Only important is, that you have twigs left, that need no manure. Why? I am not sure how long you are able to get manure. You get manure only from beefalos that are limited and by pigs, that also limited. So it depends if you can make one of them alive in generally. Also if manure can possibly exhausted, you can not farming anymore and you not able to fertilize berry bushes.

In my thinking, yes, you can survive endless because you can get endless gold only via fishing, so you need spiders for silk and twigs. Booth is possible unlimited. In this way you can get logs and something to eat.

What thinks possible in endless play not endless possible:

• Farming - Because you run out the manure sources.
  • Killing NPC - Because you run out of flint and tentacles.
  • Berries - Only if you replant all bushes.

What do you think? Can you play endless ... how long you need to play to come in this state :cool: ... 200 days? this mean you need to play a single game more than 26 hours.

Best regards

cautys

Edit: Move Krampus from limited to unlimited resources, because you can still kill rabbits and birds with a golden axe too.

Edit2: Move red gem from limited to unlimited resources, because the hell hound have a chance to drop this.

Edited by cautys

Allow us to farm Beefalo in a corral or something to stop them wandering off and getting killed. The corrals could also protect them against attacks from animals etc?

With a breeding mechanic then you wouldn't run out of meat/hide/manure making those items into the unlimited category?

Before the last update I definitely figured out a way to play forever, if I wanted to. Lure hounds to pigs to have them kill the hounds for you, so long as there aren't enough hounds to beat all the pigs, then you can survive without flint for a weapon. You could use blow darts to put enemies to sleep while the pigs kill them for you. Then since gold is ostensibly a renewable resource, you can use that for gathering wood for fires, use farms and berries to feed yourself, and... yeah I think that covers everything.

Endless play is definitely possible as hounds + spiders are unlimited resource.bare handed killing for hounds is possible if you know how ;) Just cook their monster meet into meaty stew and you have endless food right there.

For light sources ... fireflies are unlimited if you do not use them... as long as you keep running between enough fireflies yes you can keep within light.

Endless play is definitely possible as hounds + spiders are unlimited resource.bare handed killing for hounds is possible if you know how ;) Just cook their monster meet into meaty stew and you have endless food right there.

For light sources ... fireflies are unlimited if you do not use them... as long as you keep running between enough fireflies yes you can keep within light.

Ofc its possible with endless play.

Same with pigs -- just kill pigs, make more pighouses and get hundreds of pigs in a vast armies with hats :D

You don´t need to fight your own battles remember ;)

Where do flowers stand on the list? I don't believe they spawn other than when you first load the world or if you plant a butterfly. So 1. I would put that on the list under unlimited resources, and 2. That being said, wouldn't butterflies also be considered just "unlimited" due to the fact they spawn out of flowers and its possible for flowers to get "extinct"? Just a thought, I could be wrong...

Pigs are unlimited you can build pig houses, which spawn pigs, and then kill pigs spawned by that house until you get a pig skin to build a new pig house. Kevin mentioned pig houses eventually wearing out after a while, but also that you can knock them down with the hammer and retrieve the pig skin and stone needed to build them so as to replace worn out pig houses with new, fresh ones.

Same with pigs -- just kill pigs, make more pighouses and get hundreds of pigs in a vast armies with hats :D

Pig Houses are limited. Because rocks are limited but I think the greater limitation in this case is the pig skin. After the pigs from the villages are all dead, you will not get enough from your own buildings. Because pigs not drop generally pig skin, you need to make them to werpigs ... and you have to be fast, that the pig skin is not eaten before.

Red Gem is unlimited since they drop from Hell Hounds, as does Tooth.

You are right. The hell hound have a chance of drop them. I moved it to the unlimited category. In this case, the amulet is also unlimited. Very nice to know.

Pigs are unlimited you can build pig houses, which spawn pigs, and then kill pigs spawned by that house until you get a pig skin to build a new pig house. Kevin mentioned pig houses eventually wearing out after a while, but also that you can knock them down with the hammer and retrieve the pig skin and stone needed to build them so as to replace worn out pig houses with new, fresh ones.

I am not sure ... get you 100% of resources back if you use the hammer? But hammer is only constructed with rocks, not with gold. So there is still a limitation in this case.

Edited by cautys

Before the last update I definitely figured out a way to play forever, if I wanted to. Lure hounds to pigs to have them kill the hounds for you, so long as there aren't enough hounds to beat all the pigs, then you can survive without flint for a weapon. You could use blow darts to put enemies to sleep while the pigs kill them for you. Then since gold is ostensibly a renewable resource, you can use that for gathering wood for fires, use farms and berries to feed yourself, and... yeah I think that covers everything.

You can also use a torch for attacking.

Doesn't use up flint either.