How will beta testers be selected?

I'm not a really old member, so I wasn't here when the Vanilla beta happened, but I remember that RoG Beta happened with beta testers just buying the game earlier(And cheaper).

But since DST is going to be free(for the people who already own DS), how are Beta testers going to be selected?

http://n4g.com/user/blogpost/indiemonth/528283 (the last question)

We don't have a projected date for open beta as yet. We're targeting mid-to-late September for our first closed tests (i.e. giving the game to a relatively small number of people for an initial distributed test).

If we were to look at their releasing historically, I think what Seth would do is (Like with Incognita and DS) those HERE on Klei's Site can Access its availability, then Download it (available only on Steam to start) compared to everybody who is on Steam,

But unless SethR makes it clear if this is so or the classic "we're doing a Klei Lottery/Specially selected by the Devs" thing, we have no clear idea either way as noted.  

If we were to look at their releasing historically, I think what Seth would do is (Like with Incognita and DS) those HERE on Klei's Site can Access its availability, then Download it (available only on Steam to start) compared to everybody who is on Steam,

But unless SethR makes it clear if this is so or the classic "we're doing a Klei Lottery/Specially selected by the Devs" thing, we have no clear idea either way as noted.  

and I hope that happens, but he used the phrase "closed tests" meaning it wouldn't be anything like previous examples. like you said, it's speculation, but it makes sense, too.

It will prolly be given out to people like Truthseeker, who have been around for a long time and are very active in the community.

Freaking... 3374 posts... I cant even...

I agree here, she has a very high probability of getting in, but  a big question is how many people do they need?

I agree here, she has a very high probability of getting in, but  a big question is how many people do they need?

I thought TS is a he? :wilson_shocked:  Please don't punch me in anger!

But yeah, sh... he... Truthseeker will be most likely to be a tester if they're select them that way.

They'll need probably a hundred or so I'd guess. I don't really have any experience with beta testing, I'm not a big game company.

If I were to guess I'd that all the contestants would fight while being observed by the Devs and the last 10 people who stay alive will have the honor to be their testers.

But if they choose the testers by the active on the forums I'd have a big chance to go, Inb4 truthseeker.

I think it's just going to be an open alpha for everybody who grabs the update on Steam. Plus why give it to a select few when they're going to give it to people over at PAX Prime?

Perhaps you're right, but that wouldn't be much of a closed alpha, would it?

It will prolly be given out to people like Truthseeker, who have been around for a long time and are very active in the community.

Freaking... 3374 posts... I cant even...

I thought TS is a he? :wilson_shocked:  Please don't punch me in anger!

But yeah, sh... he... Truthseeker will be most likely to be a tester if they're select them that way.

They'll need probably a hundred or so I'd guess. I don't really have any experience with beta testing, I'm not a big game company.

*sighs* and it's back again, Yes I am a male. Moving on....

Thank for for the sentiments why I should be selected. 

And I've been here a little over a year (like July 2, 2013 around that time.) Others have been here longer.

But it's more than posting count (as un/impressive as that number may or may not be) and/or seniority: 

People should be selected on their contribution to the game, the community and the demographics on the platforms the game will be running on.

I can say this from the testing I have done for games--being selected in all stages from pre-Alpha to that Stress Testing they barely give you warning about before releasing the game as Gold.

Klei will decide how Klei will decide. We have to wait for them to mention the next steps on their Beta, Closed, Open, or something mixed. 

But if offered here for DST closed, I'd give it all up if it could bring him back today :(

It would probably be their availability time-wise/how good they are at DS. For example, I probably wouldn't be selected, giving that most of the time I don't even use a laptop and rarely get past winter.

It's not like there's a number next to our usernames that rates how good we are at DS. Also, usually game developers want a spread of skill levels to maximize the chance that bugs will show up. Then again, I'm not sure exactly what their objective is for the closed testing phase -- it may be more content-related than bugfix-related.

The only ways that make sense to me are essentially random from our perspective; either they just pick people that come to mind from having read the forums, or they have a signup and randomly pull people from that. 

I was thinking do something special in the forums whenever you hit either 50+ or 100+ it pms you a beta key. This would work as these people would (hopefully) be active on the forums and post all bugs they find. Only con is it may make people post unrelated posts on topics just to get over 50

Archived