So what's the real reason for no Xbox 1 or Wii U version?

It can't be because of the parity clause because Outlast disproves it.  It's highly unlikely that it's some "Sony exclusive" thing since it's not really exclusive.  It can't be because of cost because it apparently only costs roughly $5,000 to port a game from PC to X1 according to some other developers (don't know for sure about Wii U).

Looking at some previous topics, it seems like just typical dumb fanboyism for why "fans" don't want it on X1 or Wii U. I would think real fans would want the game available to as many people as possible and care more about spreading Don't Starve rather than promoting the same system-war BS.  

Did Klei ever give a reason?

As far as I understand, it's a console exclusivity deal with Sony. Console exclusivity doesn't prevent a game from releasing on PC (or mobile, afaik), but it does prevent it from releasing on a competing home console.

In a lot of marketing lately, the "console" part of console exclusivity is often left out, which causes some confusion when, say, an "Xbox One exclusive" game is announced for the PC as well.

Hey Im New but what about making it available to the masses thru tablets. It shouldn't be an issue since there are lots of companies putting out games that were previously PC or console played games. So lets add DS to that new tech thats available. I would to see it on a tablet.

It can't be because of the parity clause because Outlast disproves it.  It's highly unlikely that it's some "Sony exclusive" thing since it's not really exclusive.  It can't be because of cost because it apparently only costs roughly $5,000 to port a game from PC to X1 according to some other developers (don't know for sure about Wii U).

Looking at some previous topics, it seems like just typical dumb fanboyism for why "fans" don't want it on X1 or Wii U. I would think real fans would want the game available to as many people as possible and care more about spreading Don't Starve rather than promoting the same system-war BS.  

Did Klei ever give a reason?

As far as I've seen, Klei has not ever given a reason for *not* porting Don't Starve to other platforms. I haven't seen a statement from a dev or a mod that "this particular platform will never happen" or "you guys all agree that it shouldn't ported to *whatever* platform, we agree because you voted on this". If someone has seen otherwise, please do correct me, I haven't been here since day 1. 

Community votes offer feedback for companies, they don't dictate a project plan. Keep in mind also that they're a private/indie company, and $5K isn't chump change in anyone's pockets, business or individual. If I received a $5K bill in the mail, I'd s**t myself. This is about more than just $$$. Porting games to multiple platforms takes time, a lot of cross-functional coding knowledge, and employees to grow and then support the port. There may also be hoops they need to jump through in order to successfully obtain requirements for porting, which they may or may not have the resources for.

It would be awesome to see Klei bring this game to other platforms, and I truly hope they're able to do so at some point so they can expand their fans/customers even further. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you have the same hopes, whether business-related or for playability. I just wanted to comment to lend a bit of insight that expansion in the game-development world is not as black-and-white as "my fans want it" or "I have money in the bank".

I've read somewhere that the problem would be porting it to the Xbox 360. Microsoft requires all games to be playable on all their systems. So is not as simple as just port it to the 1. They'd also have to include the 360.

I'm not sure the 360 has the computing power for DS especially considering the PS4 experiences lag at times.

I could be wrong about this. I dont think a dev said it just was in another topic about this subject.

i like the PS4 version better, so i play it more, but Xbox is pushing it, because the only people who have an Xbox these days are 7 year old immature kids ho like violent video games, and getting a non nintendo product on wii is hard.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before ignorant posts like this were made.

Back on topic (the 360 issue that spencer mentioned), there are plenty of exclusives on the X1 that aren't on the 360 because the 360 couldn't handle it.  I'm sure Microsoft would push multiple platforms, but if Klei said it couldn't be done on the 360, then both parties would agree to forget about it and move on.

I think it might of been part of their deal with Sony, but really who knows. They already had to cut it down a bit for it to go on the PS4, I'd expect the Wii U and Xbone versions would be cut down too if not more.

As far as I understand, it's a console exclusivity deal with Sony. Console exclusivity doesn't prevent a game from releasing on PC (or mobile, afaik), but it does prevent it from releasing on a competing home console.

In a lot of marketing lately, the "console" part of console exclusivity is often left out, which causes some confusion when, say, an "Xbox One exclusive" game is announced for the PC as well.

Yes. I don't care if you agree or disagree with it everybody, but Klei kade an exclusive deal with Sony for their consoles only. Thus we're not seeing an XBox/Uverse port anytime soon, if ever. 

When companies like Klei and Sony make a deal for an "exclusive" deal, isn't there a limit? Year or 2? I'm not a big fan of Minecraft (my son is) but weren't they Xbox exclusive? Now it's on the PS. I remember back in the day of Nintendo vs Sega... some games were exclusive for Sega but showed up on Nintendo maybe a year later. Same thing going the other way, except for Nintendo made games, of course.

I think that DS will eventually find its way to other gaming consoles. Might take some time but Klei does good business and it would make sense to get the game on as many different mediums as possible.

The one thing I'm thinking is Klei has this dislike for making achievements in it's games. I know it had to add some for the PS4 but wasn't exactly happy. I know from playing the 360 that most of the games are achievement heavy and maybe Klei just doesn't want to bend over backwards to satisfy them with stupid achievements.  Of course, it probably wouldn't be that hard:

Unlock all characters  

Unlock all recipes

Survive Winter

Survive Summer

Kill all Giants

Survive 100 days, 200, 300, 500, 1000

Acomplishrine thingy

The rules around exclusivity are varied depending on the deal. The Minecraft one came to an end so then MC came to the PlayStation. Perhaps the DS one will end one day as well and then an Xbox release will be there.  

The rules around exclusivity are varied depending on the deal. The Minecraft one came to an end so then MC came to the PlayStation. Perhaps the DS one will end one day as well and then an Xbox release will be there.  

I was about to reply, "when pigs fly," but I think there's a mod for that  :highly_amused:

I did not read through all the other replys (so sorry before hand, if someone already said this) but I think it wont be coming to Xbox 1 because of their indie games policy or something along those lines. From what I heard more indie games will be making appearances on ps4. 

This is probably not the reason why its not on Xb1, im just throwing it out there.

I did not read through all the other replys (so sorry before hand, if someone already said this) but I think it wont be coming to Xbox 1 because of their indie games policy or something along those lines. From what I heard more indie games will be making appearances on ps4. 

This is probably not the reason why its not on Xb1, im just throwing it out there.

^^ @StayUpThere

Well, I feel that you should have read the prior posts. It's a polite courtesy to do so.

I know that I would feel put out if someone butted into a conversation, without having all the facts, and passed a comment or a judgement based on the subject material without having any foreknowledge of the conversations' context.

In this case, what makes it even worse, is that it seems that what you have stated appears to be incorrect. Microsoft Changed their Policy regarding Indie Releases over 12 months ago, meaning that indie's can effectively self-publish on the XBox One, refer to this article for more information.

More likely it would have to do with M$'s policy that all games released on the X1 are required to check in online regularly. But that's not really the reason, either.... as has already been stated, the real reason is that Klei has signed an exclusive deal with Sony

More likely it would have to do with M$'s policy that all games released on the X1 are required to check in online regularly. But that's not really the reason, either.... as has already been stated, the real reason is that Klei has signed an exclusive deal with Sony

^

This.

It can't be stated any clearer.

I think the horse just died. I hope nobody beats it :p

What's the problem with it not being in PS3? Most of my mates have PS3 and not PS4, which is sad. Not many people have PS4 as far as I know, so all thought they want the game a lot they don't have the right console. Is it possible that Klei could make it happen on PS3 as well, cause a lot of people have it these days.

What's the problem with it not being in PS3? Most of my mates have PS3 and not PS4, which is sad. Not many people have PS4 as far as I know, so all thought they want the game a lot they don't have the right console. Is it possible that Klei could make it happen on PS3 as well, cause a lot of people have it these days.

Probably because Sony wants to create all the incentive they can to encourage people to buy a PS4.

Archived