Dec 11 Update: Naughty & Nice Release Notes!

Corey

• MOTD

First, sorry for the delay. There were so many people connecting to our forums and website that we couldn't even load them to post the notes. We're working on upgrading our servers and think we've found a solution moving forward. We'll keep working on improving that on our end.

Now, on to the notes!

Naughty-Nice-Header.jpg

Klei Entertainment presents, a very special Don’t Starve update. Let’s be honest…It is hard to be good. But you must be good, lest you provoke the KRAMPUS!

If you are good, you can do good things, like build a bird cage for your fine food feathered friends. Or you could eat foster a delicious poor abandoned egg. Whichever path you fancy for yourself, just remember…Krampus is watching.

NEW FEATURES

• Krampus will punish you if you are too naughty.
  • Don’t make the bees angry.
  • Spider nests are crawling with activity.
  • Bird and rabbit traps are more animal friendly.
  • You can build a bird cage.
  • You can hatch Tallbird eggs to gain a new friend.
  • Steam client runs at 60hz on fast computers.
  • Game saves on exit. It also auto-saves every mornings.
  • Updated minimap art to make biomes more readable.

GENERAL FIXES:

• Traps should work properly again.
  • Dead pigs respawn more slowly
  • Tweaked the fire fuel values a bit (they were too high after the hot fixes)
  • Cooked mandrakes actually have effects now.
  • Tallbird eggs are no longer stackable.

Also, this build includes all of the hotfixes that were deployed between the last release and this one. For a detailed list of all changes check our much longer announcement post.

I am not sure I understand "Naughtiness", I am not very good at the game, but now it seems that I am not supposed to eat animals? Traps keep the animal alive, but what point is it if I will just get naughtiness the second I have to kill and eat it because I am starving?

And what about nice-ness? does it exist? is there any way to undo the naughtiness of killing any animal? The only meat it is now safe to obtain is monster meat, and the spiders are so brutal now, I got attacked by one spider by my fire, so I attacked it, next thing I know, I am swarmed by 13! The game wants to fight camping, but the only safe food source is now farmplots, which mean setting up a base, I don't understand what this mechanic is supposed to do aside from beat me down. I needed rabbits to do well before, but now if I kill them a 200 HP monster who can kill me in 2 hits comes in and either destroys me or my stuff, so I have to turn to monster meat but the spider nest are brutal! and they never seem to end! SO I just have to find a beefalo pasture and fertilize crops forever so I never get naughtiness or starve, or death by 13 spiders...

Did I miss something or did this mechanic jump the difficulty rather steeply?

I am not sure I understand "Naughtiness", I am not very good at the game, but now it seems that I am not supposed to eat animals? Traps keep the animal alive, but what point is it if I will just get naughtiness the second I have to kill and eat it because I am starving?

For in-depth information about "naughtiness", go here. The best way to avoid it is to eat veggies I guess. And I agree with you a method to counter-act "naughtiness" would be nice, but it simply doesn't exist. :c

For in-depth information about "naughtiness", go here. The best way to avoid it is to eat veggies I guess. And I agree with you a method to counter-act "naughtiness" would be nice, but it simply doesn't exist. :c

I understand even less now, this action system confuses me even more. I only get actions on the first day?So I kill 20 rabbits and bam, Krampus? and killing a redbird takes 2 actions? And I am punished for killing tallbirds even though they attack me mercilessly? And he will show up and break your stuff anyway regardless of actually ever doing any naughty things?

I understand even less now, this action system confuses me even more. I only get actions on the first day?So I kill 20 rabbits and bam, Krampus? and killing a redbird takes 2 actions? And I am punished for killing tallbirds even though they attack me mercilessly? And he will show up and break your stuff anyway regardless of actually ever doing any naughty things?

Actions required is the amount of "actions" you need to do in order for a Krampus to spawn. Killing a rabbit will add 1 onto your count, whilst killing a beefalo will add 4. Think of it this way:

- Player starts with 0 naughtiness.

- Player kills 5 rabbits, his naughtiness is now 5. ( +5 because 1*5 )

- Player kills 5 beefalos, his naughtiness is now 25. ( +20 because 4*5 )

- Player kills another 5 rabbits, his naughtiness is now 30. ( +5 because 1*5 )

- The actions required is 30, so now a Krampus will spawn.

The actions required changes based on how many days you survive as do the number of Krampii spawned.

I'm really enjoying the 60 FPS.

"Next Update: 8 days" Isn't it usually 2 weeks between updates? Are we getting an early Christmas present?

Also, if you stay the title screen, spiders will crawl past or descend from above. Hmm, I wonder what that's hinting to? ;)

I met a Krampus at day 4, was killing the first pig village i ran into! He was being a pussycat, he ran away from me all the time. Wonder if he will ever atack me, or just go for my stuff. And if he keeps his distance like he did, can i sleepdart him and hit him and kill him? That would be awesome!

Anyway i LOVE the mapupdates and i like the increase in difficulty. Also i noticed a ninja nerf to rabbits. B4 when they were a few steps from their hole, u could attack them and even tho they ducked into the hole my hit would still land and a morsel would drop. Now however it seems bunnies need to be a little further away from the hole coz i didnt get to do what i just described. My hit now misses and the bunny survives. Touche my longeared rival, 1-0 for u. Ill come back for u later.

...Reading about the update is making me very unsettled. So killing 20 rabbits spawns a practically unbeatable monster that steals your items, destroys your chests, and disappears? I almost don't want to play anymore :S This seems like it increased the difficulty way too quickly..What happened?