Reign of Giants - April 24 Patch Notes

Bryce

No, you can't freeze to death by just picking up a chilled thermal stone.

Well, that's what was happening before, in the game. If you held it for awhile, you'd start freezing and taking heavy damage, even in the heat of summer.

Someone just made a thread about the ice slowly melting in the icebox now, by the way... I haven't played though so I don't know for myself.

Summer is boring as hell, there should be some risk and rewards like the walking cane and the tam o'shanter

Woah there, buddy. Let's be a little bit courteous in our language, shall we? Yes, summer is definitely lacking something, but there's a way to point that out without sounding so rude. Remember that RoG is being developed by maybe three or four people who are working like crazy to finish content, squash bugs, and be responsive on the forums. Try not to come across as so demanding

Catcoons have been nerfed?

This was not mentioned in the list of changes but, although my catcoon still follows me around, it no longer does anything. It doesn't kill birds, it doesn't spit up rot, it doesn't even skulk around. It just sits there swishing its tail. Its personality has been nerfed to oblivion! Sad that it doesn't even act cat-like anymore. I understand the need to nerf the catcoon (it was spitting up too many morsels and berries and moles) but this change means it isn't worthwhile trying to tame a catcoon anymore. It's like a rabbit. We just kill it for meat and coontails?

:wilson_curious:

I dont really like summer being more difficult, I allready find it really hard to survive the first summer. Im no pro player who is up on all the items so take it from that point of view. its just that so much tech is required to not have your base burn down and your so dependant on ice that spring starts are rough.

I apreciate you devs want to challange the experienced and well set players I just think there needs to be a little more medium ground like how you implemented the bunny ears as a stop gap for winter.

Yes, I struck my Chester while fighting a Terrorbeak today.

Picture this: I have a snow chester full with meat balls, monster meat and stuff, an army of pigs following me to help farm some hound mounds, everything is fine,  I accidentally hit chester and then everything becomes a chaos, I am not quite sure what happened, but I ended fightting both my pigs and the hounds, happened me a couple of weeks ago.

Does force attack still prioritizes hitting followers over actual hostiles?  -_-

I have lost countless glomers and catcoons that way.

That is rather the point of force attack. Perhaps you have your keys bound strange? For standard fighting all you want is "do attack"

Yes, I struck my Chester while fighting a Terrorbeak today.

Why were you using "force attack (mod)" to fight a terrorbeak? all you need is "do attack".

Edit: Hmm, appears I was mistaken. I never bring Chester anywhere so I never knew this happened.

changes are nice, but i just got the permanint night bug after some exploring in the caves

when will that be fixeed?

See what Bryce said about this in the quote below:

Both of those bugs are fixed locally and will be public soon! Thanks for keeping us in check though.

• Developer

Catcoons have been nerfed?

This was not mentioned in the list of changes but, although my catcoon still follows me around, it no longer does anything. It doesn't kill birds, it doesn't spit up rot, it doesn't even skulk around. It just sits there swishing its tail. Its personality has been nerfed to oblivion! Sad that it doesn't even act cat-like anymore. I understand the need to nerf the catcoon (it was spitting up too many morsels and berries and moles) but this change means it isn't worthwhile trying to tame a catcoon anymore. It's like a rabbit. We just kill it for meat and coontails?

:wilson_curious:

This is actually a bug: your catcoon somehow got an action interrupted and now it's stuck. Did you give it an item while it was doing something, or something like that? If not, can you recall any other details that might help us track down how it got stuck? Thanks!

• Developer

Wickerbottom still gets hit by her own lightnings of the "The End is Nigh" book.

And Bearger ignores honeycombs and drying racks.

Wickerbottom getting hit by her own lightning is by design. There are certain pieces of equipment you can wear that will protect you from taking damage.

Bearger should only be ignoring drying racks where the meat is still in the drying process. If you're seeing him ignore dried meat still hanging on the rack, please provide some additional information. While we'd certainly like for him to take raw meat off the rack (as that would be consistent with the rest of his behavior), it would mean a bunch of special-casing in the code that we unfortunately don't have time for at this point.

What do you mean by honeycombs, exactly? Thanks.

This is actually a bug: your catcoon somehow got an action interrupted and now it's stuck. Did you give it an item while it was doing something, or something like that? If not, can you recall any other details that might help us track down how it got stuck? Thanks!

A bug! Thank you for clearing that up. (Though I still think the catcoon should be nerfed. Just not nerfed too much.)

I don't remember what exactly happened that hadn't happened before. But it's highly probable that I gave the catcoon a twig while it was doing something. These catcoons are so active, I often have to interrupt them to give them a twig or grass. But I've done it numerous times before and they didn't get bugged until now. Hope the bug will get fixed.

ETA: Now the other catcoon in my other game (I have two saved games going right now) is bugged. I got it to follow me home. On the way, I was attacked by hounds so I ran to the traps I'd laid. I recall seeing the catcoon follow me right up to where the traps are. However, after the fight, I found it a little distance away (traps become off-screen), just sitting there swishing its tail. Did not budge even after I gave it a twig. It  went right on sitting there swishing its tail.  

We receive many ideas and suggestions daily that we just don't have the ability to add them all into the game. 

Our community involves thousands of people on our forums discussing and sharing ideas and suggestions. There have been ideas that made it into the game, but they've generally been a combination of ideas and conversations from our community rather than a single idea from an individual.

We receive many ideas and suggestions daily that we just don't have the ability to add them all into the game.

Our community involves thousands of people on our forums discussing and sharing ideas and suggestions. There have been ideas that made it into the game, but they've generally been a combination of ideas and conversations from our community rather than a single idea from an individual.

So? After the DLC is finished are you planning to do ANYTHING new to the game except bug fixes? Cause it'd be a shame if it all just stopped here because of one big reason.

The game's title is just the reminder to eat while you're on your way. And everyone is curious of what exactly might be possible the "continue" for this. I mean we already freed Maxwell but just into the world he sent us into, so what next? Is there going to be anything more like the Adventure mode and mysteries? Or is this really the end?

Everyone now knows the night monster is like the "boss" of all shadow creatures and its name is Grue. But nobody knows what happened to Charlie nor where the other characters came from.

Everyone now knows the night monster is like the "boss" of all shadow creatures and its name is Grue.

Actually, we have no connections between Charlie and the shadow creatures. We know she was turned into a monster, but we don't know much other than that. Don't Starve displays many weird creatures, so Charlie could be totally unpredictable.

Charlie is the night monster, the boss is most likely the Watcher. 

However, I always imagine her in my mind to resemble this: Alien_vs._Predator_(2004)_-_Alien.jpg

Archived