Reign of Giants - April 24 Patch Notes

Bryce

Actually, we have no connections between Charlie and the shadow creatures. We know she was turned into a monster, but we don't know much other than that. Don't Starve displays many weird creatures, so Charlie could be totally unpredictable.

Charlie is the night monster, the boss is most likely the Watcher.

However, I always imagine her in my mind to resemble this: Alien_vs._Predator_(2004)_-_Alien.jpg

Charlie is NOT the night monster, it's what Maxwell thinks. Many people by now know that Grue is the name of the night monster, and it is not Charlie.

Charlie is NOT the night monster, it's what Maxwell thinks. Many people by now know that Grue is the name of the night monster, and it is not Charlie.

I'm pretty sure it is. if Charlie isn't then why does Maxwell call the night monster "Charlie"? He has no reason too unless he know's it is Charlie.

Nooooo... We DO know that Charlie is the Night Monster. Grue is the species or whatever she has become.

We also had it called Charlie by Kevin before we even knew Maxwell had anymore relation to her than it being a monster in his world.

I'm pretty sure it is. if Charlie isn't then why does Maxwell call the night monster "Charlie"? He has no reason too unless he know's it is Charlie.

Developers and many other people have said that Maxwell THINKS that it is Chralie. Here is proof and explenation of how the night monster really works: ever wondered why you never get more than 2 Hands trying to take out your fire? The real monster's name is GRUE: http://dont-starve.wikia.com/wiki/Grue

Nooooo... We DO know that Charlie is the Night Monster. Grue is the species or whatever she has become.

We also had it called Charlie by Kevin before we even knew Maxwell had anymore relation to her than it being a monster in his world.

Well if discussion continues like this, ~we will never know~

Developers and many other people have said that Maxwell THINKS that it is Chralie. Here is proof and explenation of how the night monster really works: ever wondered why you never get more than 2 Hands trying to take out your fire? The real monster's name is GRUE: http://dont-starve.wikia.com/wiki/Grue

That's a minor wiki that has outdated info: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Charlie_(Night_Monster)

The night hands have nothing to do with the night monster, just like the shadow watchers. They only appear when you're low on sanity. Charlies is only referred as the grue in the files. Plus why would the morgue call it "charlie" as death for Maxwell?

I didn't know anyone thought that Charlie wasn't the night monster...

If you argue that Maxwell is just confused and thinks it is Charlie, couldn't you also argue that Maxwell was never a bad guy in the first place and the Big Bad Guys just made him appear at the start of the game for each of the other characters? 

Is it intentional, that a cooled thermal stone heats up to its orange state during a summer day, subsequently causing you to overheat despite wearing an ice cube and umbrella?

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but if you can, get a Snow Chester and just store your thermal stone in him during the summer day when it starts warming up. He is like a portable icebox. 

sorry for double post.

No, the developers have said that she IS the Grue, not that Maxwell thinks it. As said, the hands are shadow monsters who are separate from her. We already DO know. Why bother trying to argue against something confirmed?

I have a question - someone already try to live (at least - go down for a few days) in ruins\caves during summer? And in winter, but not by Wilson. 

I did during both seasons, with Webber though, so I guess I can only comment on the summer part (as you probably don't want to hear about bearded characters).

I have made a cave outpost with the essential to survive through summer: endothermic firepit, ice flingomatic, icebox with icecube and a stack of ice (emergency only). Honestly, I went exploring with cooled thermal stone + summer frest. Allowed my to carry either moggles or miner's hat. I also went down in the ruins with this setup and it was allright. Another strategy I tried during summer is carrying ice cube + stack of ice in an isolated pack for prolonged ruins exploration. It also worked really well! It's a bit trickier if you actually end up overheating in the ruins, though, as you need nitre + grass to make small endothermic fires.

Overall, it requires a bit of preparation, but once you are ready, you can explore during these seasons as much as in any other season!

I did, with Webber though, so I guess I can only comment on the summer part (as you probably don't want to hear about bearded characters). I had made a cave outpost with the essential to survive through summer: endothermic firepit, ice flingomatic, icebox with icecube and a stack of ice (emergency only). Honestly, I went exploring with cooled thermal stone + summer frest. Allowed my to carry either moggles or miner's hat. I also went down in the ruins with this setup and it was allright. It's a bit trickier if you actually end up overheating in the ruins, though, as you need nitre + grass to make small endothermic fires. Overall, it requires a bit of preparation, but once you are ready, you can explore during these seasons as much as in any other season!

It's good news! My small base in ruins already have ET firepit. I hope i can stay cool until nightmare timepic, and return to small base. 

Also, something was smoking in caves?

It's good news! My small base in ruins already have ET firepit. I hope i can stay cool until nightmare timepic, and return to small base. 

Also, something was smoking in caves?

Honestly, there isn't much burnable stuff in the caves. I made an iceflingomatic at my cave outpost and as much as I saw berry bushes wither, I have never seen a wild fire down there. That doesn't mean it is impossible, but I don't spend too much time at my cave outpost in general. I only spend some time to reorganize my inventory, take some supplies or food and I'm back exploring the caves/ruins!

That's a minor wiki that has outdated info: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Charlie_(Night_Monster)

The night hands have nothing to do with the night monster, just like the shadow watchers. They only appear when you're low on sanity. Charlies is only referred as the grue in the files. Plus why would the morgue call it "charlie" as death for Maxwell?

Oh, so in morgue it says Charlie as death for Maxwell if he dies of night. I didn't think that it'd be different for every character.

Honestly, there isn't much burnable stuff in the caves. I made an iceflingomatic at my cave outpost and as much as I saw berry bushes wither, I have never seen a wild fire down there. That doesn't mean it is impossible, but I don't spend too much time at my cave outpost in general. I only spend some time to reorganize my inventory, take some supplies or food and I'm back exploring the caves/ruins!

Is the ruin bug that turns your world into perma night fixed yet? I didn't see anything in the log about it.

Is the ruin bug that turns your world into perma night fixed yet? I didn't see anything in the log about it.

Not yet. They said somewhere (probably in this thread) that the bug was fixed locally and should be made public soon =) We only need to be patient ! I feel lucky I have never got this bug since I've been exploring caves and ruins a lot recently.

No, the developers have said that she IS the Grue, not that Maxwell thinks it. As said, the hands are shadow monsters who are separate from her. We already DO know. Why bother trying to argue against something confirmed?

Well, like a few weeks ago EVERYONE in this forum was telling me the opposite, so what am I supposed to believe?!

Well, like a few weeks ago EVERYONE in this forum was telling me the opposite, so what am I supposed to believe?!

Who told you this? Where? Because I have never seen anyone on this forum say otherwise.

Is it intentional, that a cooled thermal stone heats up to its orange state during a summer day, subsequently causing you to overheat despite wearing an ice cube and umbrella?

Well, in Winter, the thermal stone will eventually freeze and make you get colder faster, so it'd make sense.

Wickerbottom getting hit by her own lightning is by design. There are certain pieces of equipment you can wear that will protect you from taking damage.

Bearger should only be ignoring drying racks where the meat is still in the drying process. If you're seeing him ignore dried meat still hanging on the rack, please provide some additional information. While we'd certainly like for him to take raw meat off the rack (as that would be consistent with the rest of his behavior), it would mean a bunch of special-casing in the code that we unfortunately don't have time for at this point.

What do you mean by honeycombs, exactly? Thanks.

Ah ok :)

Bearger is eating only the honey, not the honeycombs on the ground. Is that intended?

Ah ok :-)

Bearger is eating only the honey, not the honeycombs on the ground. Is that intended?

I would assume that this is happening because honeycomb itself cannot be eaten and therefore is not coded as a food item. 

I would count that as a bug since it would make sense for Bearger to eat the honeycomb, but that's just my input.

So cooling hats were nerfed, what about warming hats?  I used to be able to go out with a thermal stone and a winter hat, but now I'm freezing pretty quickly, sometimes before the thermal stone cools off.  Maybe the thermal stone got nerfed?  I haven't been able to heat it to orange yet, no matter how big the fire is.

So cooling hats were nerfed, what about warming hats?  I used to be able to go out with a thermal stone and a winter hat, but now I'm freezing pretty quickly, sometimes before the thermal stone cools off.  Maybe the thermal stone got nerfed?  I haven't been able to heat it to orange yet, no matter how big the fire is.

We haven't warming hats. Winter hat - thermal insulation hat, like straw hat. Cooling hats - melon and ice cube.

Archived