Wargs part of Hound Attacks - multiplayer balance idea included OPTION 4

Should Wargs accompany Hounds during a Hound Attack?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Who thinks 1-2 Wargs should accompany Hounds when we get the normal hound attacks in DST. Obviously early days Wargs won't spawn during a Hound attack, but as you survive longer the chance of a Warg spawning with Hounds increase. Wargs accompanying Hounds during a Hounds attack DO NOT spawn more hounds.

This is just a rough idea of when and how many might spawn.

Day 50-99 1 Warg spawns

Day 100+ 2 Warg spawns

Your thoughts?

Edit:

Maybe. But it should work like this:

Days 20-50: 5% of one warg to spawn

Days 51-70: 15% of one spawning

Days 71-100: 25% of one spawning

Days > 100: 35% of one and 5% of two

I particularly like this idea, suggested by @DwerBomb. A chance system would keep things interesting and fresh at all times. The sense of relief when a Warg doesn't show up and that sense of excitement combined with fear when one does spawn with Hounds will be priceless.

Edit 2:

Would this be an option you can turn off though? Like if a player chose to, they could just have the regular Hound attacks? (Seeing as some people are quite opposed to it)

Like it wouldn't turn Wargs off completely, just in Hound waves.

(sorry if you already covered this, i skimmed through from where I last posted)

This is an awesome idea, suggested by @The Letter W! In World customisation, having a separate option to toggle Vargs spawning in regular hound attacks on and off would be great. For those who are against the idea would this be something that would interest you?

What does everyone think?

Edit 3:

Reading the comments here and I can only guess that most of the votes for "No" is based on the challenge of Vargs being too tough. Well if I take @DwerBomb chance suggestion further would it be more appealing?

Getting to 100 is definitely a challenge right. So how about ONLY after every 100 days, you start to get Vargs spawning in hound attacks?

So after day 100 you get a 10% chance of a Varg spawning in regular hound attacks. Day 200 you get a 20% of spawning a Varg and a 10% chance of spawning 2 Vargs. Day 300 it levels off at 30% for one Varg and 15% of getting 2 Vargs.

DAY 100+ = 10% chance of 1 Varg

DAY 200+ = 20% chance of 1 Varg + 10% of 2 Vargs

DAY 300+ = 30% chance of 1 Varg + 15% of 2 Vargs

Levels off here.

This will keep late game fresh and interesting, plus give you an "extra" thing to do. By then you should be cruising anyway.

If you think about it this will enable you guys to stock up on lots of resources to build traps to counter hounds and Vargs. By day 100 if you don't have a defence system set up, you are definitely not playing Don't Starve right, so no excuses. Also this takes into consideration @TheKingofSquirrels concern about keeping Vargs unique and not over seen/abused.

What are your thoughts?

Edit 4:

It seems fairly obvious that features in RoG will not be included in Don't Starve Together as RoG is paid DLC. But if Klei decide to integrate RoG into Don't Starve Together, by allowing players who own the DLC to turn it on and off for online gameplay, then would you like the option of having to turn Vargs spawning in regular hound attacks, on/off by means of world customisation?

Who thinks 1-2 Wargs should accompany Hounds when we get the normal hound attacks. Obviously early days Wargs won't spawn during a Hound attack, but as you survive longer the chance of a Warg spawning with Hounds increase.

Your thoughts?

No, no, no, no. PLEASE.

It depends how many additional hounds the warg(s) will summon ! In a wave of 10 hounds + 2 wargs each summoning a lot of hounds, things could get ugly real quick. I like the idea of having warg(s) accompanying hounds in late game provided they do not summon additional hounds. Maybe once the number or hounds in each wave is maxed (day 100+) we could see an incremental number of wargs with them going up to X wargs at day 200, for example.  Normal wargs found via tracking should still summon hounds, though, but not the ones in the periodic hound attacks.

It depends how many additional hounds the warg(s) will summon ! In a wave of 10 hounds + 2 wargs each summoning a lot of hounds, things could get ugly real quick. I like the idea of having warg(s) accompanying hounds in late game provided they do not summon additional hounds. Maybe once the number or hounds in each wave is maxed (day 100+) we could see an incremental number of wargs with them going up to X wargs at day 200, for example. Normal wargs found via tracking should still summon hounds, though, but not the ones in the periodic hound attacks.

Yes. I was just about to mention this but saw your post. During hound attacks Wargs do not spawn more hounds.

Definitely not. Late game hounds are just an artificial threat encouraging turtling. If anything, hounds an depth worms should've already been removed from the game by now, or at least had their place as a day 150+ mechanic profoundly changed.

Definitely not. Late game hounds are just an artificial threat encouraging turtling. If anything, hounds an depth worms should've already been removed from the game by now, or at least had their place as a day 150+ mechanic profoundly changed.

Yes and no. It sure makes it more risky to go out on expeditions and could encourage scared players to remain in their base near their defenses. But you surely agree that by the time you reach day 100+, most (if not all) of the world should be explored already and you usually go on expeditions because you need certain ressources (or food). That being said, you will need to go out occasionnaly and the risk should be greater as time passes. I think we just have too many easy ways of disposing of a hound wave right now and that is what is causing the turtling you are mentionning.

Do you have some ideas of how the mechanic of hounds/depth worms could be adapted to improve the gameplay and encourage less turtling ? =)

Edit: When I think about it, everything that wants to kill you encourages turtling and we all know that there are a lot of these things crawling around in the world... I don't know if hounds/worms are really a determining factor in making people turtle or not =\ Personally, I don't turtle, but I do consider timing between hound waves to go out and explore. That is just part of the strategy of a survival game, though.

Is good idea for me, you can handle wargs in an advanced game, :) to be honest, when i saw the update trailer i thought wargs would come in hound attacks now, and not when tracing a suspicious dirty pile, anyway i hope you add wargs to hound attacks, if they do not spawn more hounds is completely fair for me

Do you have some ideas of how the mechanic of hounds/depth worms could be adapted to improve the gameplay and encourage less turtling ? =)

Giants are a nice alternative, since their base-hassling behaviour counters turtling to some extent. It might be interesting to have hounds decrease in quantity after that reaches its peak, with the frequency of giants going up to compensate.

Giants are a nice alternative, since their base-hassling behaviour counters turtling to some extent. It might be interesting to have hounds decrease in quantity after that reaches its peak, with the frequency of giants going up to compensate.

I do like the idea. However, as much as they provide a challenge in some sort and are a constant threat to anything you have built (if you don't run away from your base in fear as soon as you hear them coming), I fear that having giants coming at us more often would make it easier to collect their loot and craft the good items they will allow us to craft eventually (i.e. once they change the drops).

It is hard to know if having less hounds = having less hound teeth = less tooth traps/blowdarts/sewing kits while facing more giants which gives you better loot is the best solution. There is definitely something to balance out here with your idea =)

If (too many) Wargs join the hound waves I think starting a new world through teleportato after 100+ days would be pure suicide because at that stage, in the new world, nothing would be able to counter a full wave of hounds + some Wargs. 

I might be wrong, but I do belive that hound waves reset when you travel to a new world, as the days also reset.

Yes yes and yes. After I get my first football helmet, logsuit, and tentacle spike almost nothing can stop me. And after day 100, it takes a huge mistake for me to die. I'd love the idea of having actual danger after the first DS year.

I do like the idea. However, as much as they provide a challenge in some sort and are a constant threat to anything you have built (if you don't run away from your base in fear as soon as you hear them coming), I fear that having giants coming at us more often would make it easier to collect their loot and craft the good items they will allow us to craft eventually (i.e. once they change the drops).

It is hard to know if having less hounds = having less hound teeth = less tooth traps/blowdarts/sewing kits while facing more giants which gives you better loot is the best solution. There is definitely something to balance out here with your idea =)

I'm personally fine with their loot becoming more common if it's a day 100+ thing. And I feel the challenge of less tooth traps would be fun. But hey, it's just an idea, it certainly needs a lot of balance considerations.

I kinda agree with Skorp, something they could do is have the hounds spawn near large clusters of pickables that are obviously a farm or encampment of sorts that the player spends a lot of time near. Thus, having a more spread out "base" would drastically reduce the amount of hounds spawned, and making decoys that you never go near wouldn't work either.

There would be a system to determine where a base is, taking into account numbers, value, and time spent.

For example, a cluster of research facilities that a player is near 40% of the time would be a higher target priority than a small grass farm that the player is near most of the time.

But of course, the hounds wouldn't destory everything on purpose, just sleep there and be damn annoying!

I agree with These two above^

The wargs should definitely be incorporated into the hound attacks. I do however think probably after day 80 sometime.

I've only experienced the Bearger currently (and deerclops previously) and have never made it through summer through laziness.

So with my naivety in mind of how hard this game could end up being for me, I still vote Yes.

If only to get some hound teeth ¬_¬ I must be the unluckiest person ever but by day 40 I have all of 2 hound teeth.

Sure, after day 100 wargs will start coming to attack you instead of just hounds. And the real way to find wargs is from koalephant trails.

My suggestion is to have both Wargs and Hounds attacking us during Hound Attacks. After day 100 I thought max 2 each hound attack, would be suitable.

Archived