Wargs part of Hound Attacks - multiplayer balance idea included OPTION 4

Should Wargs accompany Hounds during a Hound Attack?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Yes
    • No

Not quite, I barely restrained myself from suggesting ten.

But really, by day 100, you'll have a million tooth traps anyway. Some of the Wargs can possibly get through them and the Hound Attack will be more than "Hide in the Traps and wait for them to die".

With this suggestion using traps (a lot of them) would be the only solution to survive waves, and in my opinion it will kill the diversity of gameplay concerning handling hounds/wargs. Not everybody wants to have massive trap farms in order to survive.

With this suggestion using traps (a lot of them) would be the only solution to survive waves, and in my opinion it will kill the diversity of gameplay concerning handling hounds/wargs. Not everybody wants to have massive trap farms in order to survive.

Yeah, i never use the tooth trap vs hounds strat because i dont like the idea of it. I always face them myself with a log suit (and football hat if possible) and a spear/tentacle spike.

That's a matter of opinion. There are loads of ways to deal with hound attacks, a quick youtube search will prove that. Tooth traps, bee mines, Houndious Shootiuous, pigs, beefalo, Tree Guardians, gun powder, log suit/football helmet tank approach are just some more obvious ones.

I would like to see more variety in the enemy waves and Wargs are just large hounds - so my anwser is 'No'.

More variety? You can't exactly have merms or clockwork knights joining in on hound attacks. Wargs are like the Alpha Males in the pack. Larger more powerful hounds basically. It's only fitting we see them along side hounds in these attacks.

Unless you have a suggestion of a new type of hound, I need more than just "more variety" to agree with you.

That's a matter of opinion. There are loads of ways to deal with hound attacks, a quick youtube search will prove that. Tooth traps, bee mines, Houndious Shootiuous, pigs, beefalo, Tree Guardians, gun powder, log suit/football helmet tank approach are just some more obvious ones.

I was talking about Tonguetyd's suggestion (10 wargs) not yours, I don't think that any pig village or beefalo herd would be able to kill 10 of them.

I was talking about Tonguetyd's suggestion (10 wargs) not yours, I don't think that any pig village or beefalo herd would be able to kill 10 of them.

I would love to try. My 30 pigs vs 10 Wargs. I believe over a 300 day period I have somewhere close to 30-40 beefalo as well. You just gave me a good idea :)

Not quite, I barely restrained myself from suggesting ten.

But really, by day 100, you'll have a million tooth traps anyway. Some of the Wargs can possibly get through them and the Hound Attack will be more than "Hide in the Traps and wait for them to die".

Why not 1000 at this point? By day 100 you should be God mode!

1000 Wargs and 10 Deerclops!1!1

More variety? You can't exactly have merms or clockwork knights joining in on hound attacks. Wargs are like the Alpha Males in the pack. Larger more powerful hounds basically. It's only fitting we see them along side hounds in these attacks.

Unless you have a suggestion of a new type of hound, I need more than just "more variety" to agree with you.

Sorry, I don't have any ideas to suggest and I was thinking about something brand new. I completely relay on Klei's creativity and I am sure they will make something interesting and unique just like the Depths Worm. I totally understand why you're making this suggestion/poll and I agree that this game would feel much richer with an expanded 'wave' aspect.

I say that the Wargs should definitely accompany the hounds during the attacks, but most likely after the first few seasons.

The first few seasons will be around day 50, that's what I am suggesting :)

Do you have a more specific day in mind?

The first few seasons will be around day 50, that's what I am suggesting :-)

Do you have a more specific day in mind?

Maybe after half of a Don't Starve year (two seasons)? Then they have a small chance to appear. After another 2 seasons, it increases. All the way to day 200, where it should cap at about 20%. I like things being hard :D

Maybe. But it should work like this:

Days 20-50: 5% of one warg to spawn

Days 51-70: 15% of one spawning

Days 71-100: 25% of one spawning

Days > 100: 35% of one and 5% of two

This definitely caught my eye. A chance base system will definitely make a Hound attack feel more tense than usual, as you will never be sure if a Warg or two is coming.

Good idea.

I think it'd be an ok mix up, but does it really even matter.  Everyone has a massive hound trap ring by 100 days so the waves wouldn't be that hard.  New threats would be more interesting.

Everyone? Most people, probably. But not everyone.

As long as the warg can't summon hounds i'll be ok with this.

I do like the idea. However, as much as they provide a challenge in some sort and are a constant threat to anything you have built (if you don't run away from your base in fear as soon as you hear them coming), I fear that having giants coming at us more often would make it easier to collect their loot and craft the good items they will allow us to craft eventually (i.e. once they change the drops).

It is hard to know if having less hounds = having less hound teeth = less tooth traps/blowdarts/sewing kits while facing more giants which gives you better loot is the best solution. There is definitely something to balance out here with your idea =)

Less hounds DOES NOT equal more challenge due to less traps. Each hound (late game they are almost all fire/ice, and they drop 2 every time) drops 2 teeth, and takes 2 uses of a trap to kill. If a trap has 10 uses, that means your traps increase by 5 times the number of hounds no matter what. With more giants it means you still are gaining traps.

Everyone? Most people, probably. But not everyone.

As long as the warg can't summon hounds i'll be ok with this.

Agreed. Not everyone even know about toothtraps (commonly used trap for hounds).

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread and included it in the OP. Wargs accompanying hounds in a Hound Attack won't spawn more hounds. :)

This sounds pretty interesting. Due to my favorite character being unfortunately ruined with fully upgraded stats, I don't have a lot that could kill me. I just tank the hounds nowadays, but where's the fun in that? I love that feeling of being on edge, and not knowing if a Warg is going to spawn with the hounds is a good place to start.

This sounds pretty interesting. Due to my favorite character being unfortunately ruined with fully upgraded stats, I don't have a lot that could kill me. I just tank the hounds nowadays, but where's the fun in that? I love that feeling of being on edge, and not knowing if a Warg is going to spawn with the hounds is a good place to start.

You don't HAVE to upgrade ! WX is also my favorite character and while he is pretty broken when fully upgraded, he is also pretty weak when he is not. Most people see him as being OP, but I don't. I rather see him as an opportunity to finetune the level of difficulty of the game regarding food/sanity/combat by choosing the stats you want to have between rather poor stats to godlike stats. You can thus upgrade him partially to a level you see fit (not too easy, not too hard) and enjoy your favorite character ! The only thing, though, is that you can't un-upgrade to make the game harder once you get used to a certain difficulty.

You could instead try to collect as many gears as you can while being weak (or balanced). You're not allowed to eat them ! Just look at'em ! -.O Because robots love gears, it is known, and they love to collect them ! =)

Archived