So, Pyro is one of the new characters?

TF2 is my second most played game on Steam, after DS, so you can't claim that I 'hate TF2' or whatever, but honestly, TF2 is known for promotions. It helps boost a game's sales and is a neat little thing Valve have going for them. I mean, people buy a £20 game for the TF2 hat for god's sake, and from that, Valve take their cut. From the game's sale, and then subsequent sales of the hat/weapon on the community market. It's a neat little racket they have going for them. 

As for the effects on the game itself, TF2 is a different thing. It's quirky sense of humour lends itself well to promotional items. Most added weapons and hats slot into the weird and wonderful TF2niverse perfectly. With a game as focused and themed as this, a character from another ENTIRELY different universe will just cheapen the game. I am 100% with Lord_Battal on his opinion.

Whilst I was unhappy with the addition of the Ham Shank, (to be fair, it was about 99% likely it was only added to be a promotional, and boost sales at launch). I'm not claiming the Wilson Weave or Ham Shank are rip-offs, by TF2, they aren't. They were promotional items. But it's not simply a case of 'returning the favour', I mean, how many games that TF2 promoted with a hat or weapon actually returned the favour in as big a way as this, or for that matter, in any way at all? I'm fairly sure the answer is 0.

Also, the argument that 'you don't have to PLAY him/her/it', is beside the point. It's still THERE. Sitting there, waiting for me. Everytime I click through the char screen I'm greeted by the Pyro. Badly-fitting, and immersion ruining in all its glory. No matter what I do, without some code-tampering, I cannot avoid the fact that this thing exists. And that would be a problem for me. Seriously. It would cheapen the game massively.

Perhaps this is an Easter Egg. Hopefully it's a little joke. Or could it be that Klei are testing the water? If that is the case, I can only encourage them to not ruin their game's atmosphere and general brilliance by doing this, and reducing it to the levels of the games that need a quirk like this to get people to buy it. Just don't do it.

TL;DR - TF2 fits promotionals/crossovers. DS does not.

TF2 is my second most played game on Steam, after DS, so you can't claim that I 'hate TF2' or whatever, but honestly, TF2 is known for promotions. It helps boost a game's sales and is a neat little thing Valve have going for them. I mean, people buy a £20 game for the TF2 hat for god's sake, and from that, Valve take their cut. From the game's sale, and then subsequent sales of the hat/weapon on the community market. It's a neat little racket they have going for them. 

As for the effects on the game itself, TF2 is a different thing. It's quirky sense of humour lends itself well to promotional items. Most added weapons and hats slot into the weird and wonderful TF2niverse perfectly. With a game as focused and themed as this, a character from another ENTIRELY different universe will just cheapen the game. I am 100% with Lord_Battal on his opinion.

Whilst I was unhappy with the addition of the Ham Shank, (to be fair, it was about 99% likely it was only added to be a promotional, and boost sales at launch). I'm not claiming the Wilson Weave or Ham Shank are rip-offs, by TF2, they aren't. They were promotional items. But it's not simply a case of 'returning the favour', I mean, how many games that TF2 promoted with a hat or weapon actually returned the favour in as big a way as this, or for that matter, in any way at all? I'm fairly sure the answer is 0.

Also, the argument that 'you don't have to PLAY him/her/it', is beside the point. It's still THERE. Sitting there, waiting for me. Everytime I click through the char screen I'm greeted by the Pyro. Badly-fitting, and immersion ruining in all its glory. No matter what I do, without some code-tampering, I cannot avoid the fact that this thing exists. And that would be a problem for me. Seriously. It would cheapen the game massively.

Perhaps this is an Easter Egg. Hopefully it's a little joke. Or could it be that Klei are testing the water? If that is the case, I can only encourage them to not ruin your game's atmosphere and general brilliance by doing this, and reducing it to the levels of the games that need a quirk like this to get people to buy it. Just don't do it.

Exactly; Don't Starve it's own universe. TF2 is a multiverse

Maybe it will be a official unofficial mod, kind of like the Halloween items? I'm fairly certain this is just an Easter Egg though, as mentioned before. The DS does enough modding to be able to find such goodies fairly quickly. It's just a nod to the past promotion with TF2.

Here is what I think:

1. Would Pyro be to similar to Willow?

I sure hope not or there would be crude inaccuracies. Pyro still takes damage from fire, pyro can walk around with a arrow in his head and act unharmed, pyro removes his own head for halloween hats, pyro goes insane near fire, and pyro is known for being the most feared monster among his comrades.

2. Why is this possibly a thing?

Some of you might remember the initial talk of caves, lava caves, and overheating. Lava caves were dropped and overheating is just now revived. When those ideas got dropped it was around the time of the Ham Shank promotion. This makes me think that the pyro was going to be DS promotion item to play with when we originally were going to get lava caves. Now that we have overheating, maybe there has been more consideration on including him. If so I think we should ask the devs for clarification.

3. Would it effect the game?

Yes and no. If you are a person who likes to consider all the characters before you choose a new file, and you hate the pyro, you might feel a un-welcomed bias. I really don't think it would mess with DS in anyway, mostly since we know WAY more about the secrets of DS than facts about the pyro. I kind of feel like this is the problem with the beta testing caves again. People were so mad that caves existed before the caves were finished because they did not want that tempting unfinished content. I can't relate, nor do I want to judge, but its just one of those things I fear.

Lava caves were dropped and overheating is just now revived. When those ideas got dropped it was around the time of the Ham Shank promotion. This makes me think that the pyro was going to be DS promotion item to play with when we originally were going to get lava caves.

The TF2 promotionals were pushed with launch on April 23, as an enticer. Caves were not announced until very early May (minimum). Also, adding a Pyro character then would be DS promoting TF2, not the other way around, making this promotion pretty useless for the sales of the game at launch. And why would DS promote TF2? An indie game promotes a hugely popular and successful game, without the hugely successful game doing anything for them? That just makes no sense.

Basically, if Klei wanted to add the Pyro, for whatever reason, they had a choice. Release it with launch, but with limited functionality until the release of Lava Caves in a few months, but perhaps entice a few people that may not have otherwise bought the game, thanks to Steam's policy of promoting most/all new releases.

Alternatively, they release it with Lava Caves, with full functionality, but then do not have the advantage of a random person clicking on the promotion that pops up on Steam, and being encouraged by the Pyro to buy.

So basically, on choice here angers the fanbase, as they basically would have released a Willow clone, and the other has NOTHING going for it at all. It wouldn't boost sales, and it would possibly anger the community. So...yeah.

Honestly, I can think of no good reason for this to exist, other then as a bad joke by Klei.

Oh, I have spent around 10 mins rewriting this to try and make it sound as pleasant as possible, so if I come across as rude, I apologise. I'm just bad at getting across what I mean it text form. :)

The Pyro character wouldn't fit at all. Don't Starve and TF2 are both silly and fun, but in their own unique ways.

Don't Starve has a more "dry" sense of humor, with one-liners that often poke fun at the world around them.

Eample:

6asTIqQ.png

TF2 has a whimsical over-the-top sense of humor. Everything is exaggerated to high hell in a hilariously obnoxious way. The hats are on fire, the snipers use bows and arrows, and the "pyro goggles" turn everything fire and explosion related into balloons and confetti.

The crossing between them would make no sense and really ruin the "feel" of the game for me.

It would just make the game feel so lame and tacky for me.  I don't even see a single good point to add something like that now. Why would they want to throw the integrity of the fiction into the toilet for the sake of pandering promotional lol's?  This game is too far along now to just do stuff like this.   

x

Perhaps this is an Easter Egg. Hopefully it's a little joke. Or could it be that Klei are testing the water? If that is the case, I can only encourage them to not ruin your game's atmosphere and general brilliance by doing this, and reducing it to the levels of the games that need a quirk like this to get people to buy it. Just don't do it.

This guy right here.

x

This guy right here.

I don't 100% agree with him (i think it would be awesome) but when i think about it i think it's just because i want to know what Don't Starve looks like in pyrovision.

He brings up alot of good points though so thumbs up to him.

I just wonder if Klei has seen the backlash and have decided against adding him or if they are going ahead with it anyway.

Or maybe they will add him during the beta, and see how people react to him, if we like him he might stay, if people say they have lost all their integrity they might go back on it.

I just hope they can explain to us why he is in the files at somepoint.

The TF2 promotionals were pushed with launch on April 23, as an enticer. Caves were not announced until very early May (minimum). Also, adding a Pyro character then would be DS promoting TF2, not the other way around, making this promotion pretty useless for the sales of the game at launch. And why would DS promote TF2? An indie game promotes a hugely popular and successful game, without the hugely successful game doing anything for them? That just makes no sense.

I didn't know what sonic all star racing was until they added tf2 characters, so I don't think pyro only helps advertises one side.

Why would Klei promote tf2? I've seen cases were developers from other studios are friends. Valve and Team17 are friends for example. Maybe Pyro in DS was a form of gesture?

Regardless if Pyro will be doing anything, I can't imagine our awesome Klei developers would ruin their own game. I really want to see what they say before we attack the Pyro. Attacking Pyro would be silly if he is only a misplaced piece of joke art from the old promotion setting up.

I don't 100% agree with him (i think it would be awesome) but when i think about it i think it's just because i want to know what Don't Starve looks like in pyrovision

Nyan cat beefalo.

Pudgy baby Maxwell.

CHESTER.

*Shiver*

Nyan cat beefalo.

Pudgy baby Maxwell.

CHESTER.

*Shiver*

Yes! All of that!

Even if he isn't added it should totally be a mod at somepoint

Also just going to quote ArcticFox here

In this post Bryce says new characters might be here within two weeks. That means we could expect them next Friday. Perhaps the mystery of the Pyro could soon be solved.  :grin:

Archived