I have played a decent amount of RoG and I have a few concerns. Before anyone says it, yes I am aware that more content is on the way but these are just comments on what I have played through.

Summer and heat

Summer just isn't that fun anymore. Things set on fire because it gets too hot and I think that is good on paper but it gets annoying extremely quickly. Instead of it being my most active time of the year, I am desperately trying to find more ice. My main criticism is that this new mechanic doesn't make the game more fun for me. In fact, I have characters that have summer disabled entirely because it just isn't worth it.

Rain

This was a feature I wasn't crazy about before the DLC to the point where I would usually disable it in world generation. Now it rains almost every day and it still begs the question: is this more fun? For me, it is a straight no. It becomes a huge pain and causes me to consume even more items to keep fires up. As I said, I didn't like it before the DLC so adding even more of it definitely does not interest me. 

Hopes

Before I had any idea what the DLC was gonna be about (other than giants) was just more content and experiences.

-We have an overworld, cave and ruins so maybe I expected a new section (clouds/heavens maybe?).

-Definitely more mobs which I have definitely observed while playing

-Additions to Adventure mode

-New characters (yay Webber!)

And MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!

-More fun! The DLC beta has really only given me more chores which make the game less enjoyable because it just becomes stale. 

That is most of the feedback I have from what I have played and I honestly believe in Klei to only make the DLC better.

You're going to be let down if those are your hopes for the DLC. They've already stated they're only messing with the overworld. That means no updates to caves (other than temperature/wetness) and no new sections and no additions to Adventure Mode.

Personally I like the direction the DLC is taking with it's increased difficulty.  I respect that some people may not want to have to manage more factors, but I think there's more that want more difficulty, and one way of doing that is increasing the amount of things going on.  It's easier for Klei to make things more difficult, and then people that don't like them can just turn them off in world settings.  It's much harder for those of us who want difficult content to add it ourselves via mods.

I think we have the best compromise now there are the four seasons: 2 easy seasons, 2 difficult.

So now summer is a difficult season and really challenging because you must really be careful or everything will burn.

With Don't starve, I think the "fun" can only come from the fact that the game is challenging. Why should we play if everything was easy ?

For the rest, I completely agree with brummbar7

Personally I like the direction the DLC is taking with it's increased difficulty. I respect that some people may not want to have to manage more factors, but I think there's more that want more difficulty, and one way of doing that is increasing the amount of things going on. It's easier for Klei to make things more difficult, and then people that don't like them can just turn them off in world settings. It's much harder for those of us who want difficult content to add it ourselves via mods.

Totally agree. You can always start a vanilla world or disable what you dislike. Fun is mostly subjective; aside from the current broken wetness mechanic I'm having a blast with the DLC.

I dont think this is a matter of difficulty.

It is more complex than that.

It is that the game encourage boring behaviour currently :

In winter, stay near fire because this way you could keep warm AND wear item preventing loss of sanity.

In summer, stay near ice-flingomatic because this way you could prevent your world burn and turn in ash.

I have nothing against challenges. My first play on the DLC, i am die a couple of time : lack of sanity, cold, lack of sanity, deerclop, etc.

I've learn to make pretty parasol, try to obtain pig skin, go to the swamp for see if i can find tentacle spot : FUN.

But the winter itself was a lot boring : i'm in my camp, waiting for time to pass, and spring to happen.

I think the autor of the thread have the same feeling of summer than you could have for winter. There is "dead time" when you just wait for another season because if you move outside your camp, you are punished to do so.

In winter, it is (for the moment) sanity problems, in summer it is spontaneous wild fire.

I remember posts of Klei saying (approximately, i hope i don't misunderstand the idea) that the "turtle behaviour" (be at the camp all the winter) wasn't fun.

I have no matter with the challenge. But if the difficulty encourages too strongly to do nothing and just wait, you don't play...

There is a lot of difficulty when the player WANTS to go, to search the danger. Obtaining a tentacle spot, a pig skin, silk, honeycomb, even manure sometime, could be dangerous.
We need the item to survive winter so we'll go in the dangerous situations to obtain it.

This is a challenge, and a challenge fun because there are multiples solutions. You could fight, you could search for monster fighting themselves (pig and merms battles, spiders near tentacles). It's fun to be clever enough to make the monster of don't starve make the job for you.

It is the sort of difficulty i am searching, and not spontaneous fire because i'm outside my base in summer.

I have the feeling that (for the moment), you use spring and autumn to prepare winter and summer but don't have strong enough reason to move in winter/summer.

You need things to do in summer that you can't or want to do in autumn and spring because summer is better to do that.

In vanilla game, winter was time for cave exploring in my games, because it was something i could do in vanilla summer, but why lost a perfect season outside going in cave ? When i can catch bee to have more flower and make beebox ? When i can grow a lot of vegetable and make so much recipe ?

It was a good balance, and dynamic.

But what to do in summer that it is better to do in summer ? What to do in summer that you don't still want to do at autumn or spring ? (And more easily because NO FIRE) ?

So i really think this is more a matter of difficulty but of something more complex : the motivation to take risk. The reward to go outside don't worth the effort, now.

Why go outside ?

If it is because you are bored > there is a problem

If it is because you create your own challenge > game must be more incentive

If it is because you need food, or regain sanity, because you need a way to refresh yourself or because the monster give you this perfect item to make this great structure, or because you can have this heating little hat for gain sanity and keep perfectly warm in winter, or because you could find this beautiful plant to make your base more elegant, or...

That are good reasons. That create desire to challenge the difficulty and make dangerous moves.

And this way, you balance the risks (fires, etc) with the rewards.

And create the opportunity to the player to make more choice, more situation when he will try something, sometimes will success, some others not.

The choice part is very important.

I find some difficulties more fun, but some others are boring (autumn is more fun, winter more boring, for exemple). And i prefer the default base game of the DLC (all season enabled) to be fun that just delete contents because of some lacks of interest.

Difficulty can go with rich contents. I'm sure there is a way for it and i trust in klei to find it !

(I'm sorry if i don't use the goods words. In something like this, there are notions hard to explain in english for me. It is theory about gameplay and so, and it is hard to explain why something make me have fun when i play..)

• Developer

Thanks for the constructive criticism! There is more to come to help you combat the seasons.

On Summer:

We're going to make it so you can deal with fires using an ice staff, and there are some more ways to keep yourself cool coming next update that don't require ice.

On Spring:

The rain itself won't be going away, but we're going to change how it effects the world. This should help make the mechanic more manageable and, hopefully, make it interesting instead of frustrating!

Well, the DLC isnt forcing you to buy it, if you dont like the content you have the choice of not buying it... And maybe in the future if another DLC comes out you can buy its your choice.

Sorry to single you out, but I'd like to request that people (not just you!) don't get so defensive when others criticize the DLC. Constructive criticism is exactly what we want! It only helps to make the final product better and it's important that we don't discourage people from providing feedback. It's fine to express your point of view to get a discussion going, but posts like this don't add anything to that discussion.

Thanks for the constructive criticism! There is more to come to help you combat the seasons.

On Summer:

We're going to make it so you can deal with fires using an ice staff, and there are some more ways to keep yourself cool coming next update that don't require ice.

On Spring:

The rain itself won't be going away, but we're going to change how it effects the world. This should help make the mechanic more manageable and, hopefully, make it interesting instead of frustrating!

Sorry to single you out, but I'd like to request that people (not just you!) don't get so defensive when others criticize the DLC. Constructive criticism is exactly what we want! It only helps to make the final product better and it's important that we don't discourage people from providing feedback. It's fine to express your point of view to get a discussion going, but posts like this don't add anything to that discussion.

can you make the gem on the ice staff 100x larger, please?

I didnt want to make my post look so defensive, sorry! :p

I actually kinda like the wetness mechanic but it should definitely apply less in winter

I also like the new summer burning mechanic because It make you think where you place your stuff. the ice flingomatic has it limits and you could also prevent huge fires by not building too many buildings or not having them built so close to each other.

I believe it fair to say survival would require you migrate from place to place and to plan ahead which brings me to my next point

I think we have the best compromise now there are the four seasons: 2 easy seasons, 2 difficult.

There shouldn't be any easy seasons; only trade offs with difficulty.

Here's some examples

-Spring should be the best season to grow crops and the only season to get honey. However, you have to deal with not getting wet and animals have a low yield of drops.

-Summer should be a best time to explore marshes, but a terrible time to explore caves and you have to deal with heat and fires.

-Winter is the best time to explore the caves and ruins and animals have a high yield of drops, but you have to deal with the cold

-More fun! The DLC beta has really only given me more chores which make the game less enjoyable because it just becomes stale.

Well, it does depend on who's playing and how long said person has played it. For those who explored just about everything and made everything pretty methodic, these new challenges makes for a more interesting (and interesting in Don't Starve is never really good) play through. I agree there's more chores, but before I could survive a hundred days no problem, and it got pretty boring. With these new challenges, I have more things to do rather than just the same old things, which makes it all the more fun.

But like I said, it depends on the person, so I respect the fact that you think the new challenges are not fun, cause trust me, they ain't. Surviving it is.

Well, the DLC isnt forcing you to buy it, if you dont like the content you have the choice of not buying it... And maybe in the future if another DLC comes out you can buy its your choice.

First of all your comment is mostly useless since as you can assume, I have already purchased it. Second of all, I bought it to support the game and then gave my criticisms in the hope that the DLC pleases me just as much as it pleases others. In the future, try to limit yourself to useful comments.

On Summer:

On Spring:

Anything for Klei and Don't Starve! I know more content is on the way and I am always paying attention to the update icon! 

I find the idea of certain biomes retaining different temperatures to be a great idea! But let me tell you that marshes/swamps get terribly hot, not to mention humid, during summer. And I certainly agree that the base game almost requires routine behavior but the DLC just adds more to the routine like getting too hot and dying. I guess what I want most is more of those epic moments and strolls on the island that keep you surprised in the game. 

"Difficulty can go with rich contents. I'm sure there is a way for it and i trust in klei to find it !" - Lumina

I'm hoping for more character content to be added; ie Merms have a religious procession in the summer that involves painting their bodies with marsh goo dyed blue.  The high priest of the Merms would wear a headdress made from pig intestines.

OR

At the summer solstice, pigs and merms would have a dance contest that would culminate in an inter-species orgy.  They would get drunk on a liquor made from chewing the swamp cattails. Imagine the occasional progeny?!

I actually kinda like the wetness mechanic but it should definitely apply less in winter

I also like the new summer burning mechanic because It make you think where you place your stuff. the ice flingomatic has it limits and you could also prevent huge fires by not building too many buildings or not having them built so close to each other.

I believe it fair to say survival would require you migrate from place to place and to plan ahead which brings me to my next point

There shouldn't be any easy seasons; only trade offs with difficulty.

Here's some examples

-Spring should be the best season to grow crops and the only season to get honey. However, you have to deal with not getting wet and animals have a low yield of drops.

-Summer should be a best time to explore marshes, but a terrible time to explore caves and you have to deal with heat and fires.

-Winter is the best time to explore the caves and ruins and animals have a high yield of drops, but you have to deal with the cold

I would also like to point out that, maybe deserts should be always summer "have it's own weather system independant of the rest of the world" or something else..and the automn biome should not have leaves on the floor during other seasons but be even more useful during automn.

love everything about the dlc so far! so much to do but so little time to do it. then your plans have to change according to what season comes next!!! the only things i reeallllly don't like is the fact snowing makes you wet... hopefully they try something different with the temperatures in the caves as well. but one question. In winter, during the day its cold, but gets the coldest at night. So in summer does the temperature reach normal levels at night or do you still burn to a crisp?? never survived to see summer yet is why I'm asking. But job klei looking forward to the next update!

Archived