Surviving forever.

I've found that once I have a contained campfire, a good location, and plenty of food I can survive forever without doing much of anything. I just collect wood, plant pinecones, pick berries, find sticks, find flint, and just keep repeating the same routine and I can just keep living. The only way I die is if I decide to do more exploring.I think the game should have more incentive to explore, or surprise badguy attacks (surprise spider raids?).

Personally I think seasons would help with this. You get settled in, stockpile some firewood, food, and stuff like that but then winter comes and your supplies start to go pretty fast. But on the flip side the spiders would also be weaker. Just tossing ideas around.:) Thoughts? Questions? I'm all ears.

Edited by Toaster Fu
Happy happy happy face

I've found that once I have a contained campfire, a good location, and plenty of food I can survive forever without doing much of anything. I just collect wood, plant pinecones, pick berries, find sticks, find flint, and just keep repeating the same routine and I can just keep living. The only way I die is if I decide to do more exploring.I think the game should have more incentive to explore, or surprise badguy attacks (surprise spider raids?).

Seems like the easiest way to survive is to settle in with a pig man community.. they provide you with easy farming and protection. There should be something to mix it up.. or pigs shouldn't spawn in large communities. A pig man army is easy mode, otherwise the game can be quite challenging.I agree there should be random encounters to mix it up a bit.

Seems like the easiest way to survive is to settle in with a pig man community.. they provide you with easy farming and protection. There should be something to mix it up.. or pigs shouldn't spawn in large communities. A pig man army is easy mode, otherwise the game can be quite challenging.I agree there should be random encounters to mix it up a bit.

I haven't actually tried living with pig men. Random encounters would add a lot of interest.

you guys have brought up some interesting ideas and points, and i'd agree that a active and involving world would be ace.Beefalos moving to new areas to eat,Pigmen relocating, chopping wood, building fences.Seasons as already suggested,And maybe a fiendish surviving opponent who tries to survive?- Olav (@Cellusious)

Why not incorporate with the seasons seasonal monsters. Something like Yeti's or something in the winter that steal your supplies, some sort of carnivores in all seasons; Lions in summer etc. This would allow some additional items in game that could be used for crafting and would make it intuitive while adding some difficulty to the game.

Agreed. Besides Yeti's are silly, but the only other example I could think of off the top of my head was a polar bear. But it'd still be interesting to see the DEVs implement something like that and put their own flair on it, my head is still trying to absorb having a pig as a member of your entourage and a possible sandwich at the same time. ^_^

• Developer

We've actually discussed spoilage, but it would make stacking food items non-intuitive, so I haven't put it in.Which is not to say that we won't eventually figure out a way to make it work. I think having to build ice boxes would be cool!

We've actually discussed spoilage, but it would make stacking food items non-intuitive, so I haven't put it in.Which is not to say that we won't eventually figure out a way to make it work. I think having to build ice boxes would be cool!

The idea of some sort of food preservation is awesome! It would defiantly get you thinking about the future.Although does this mean the farm plots would have to become less reliable?

Salt is another old form of food preservation (specifically for meat) and I think it could be a great way to keep raw meat usable for at least a couple of days, until you make an icebox.