[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

I think there should be a unique threat - something that provides the same function as the surface-world Hounds, but is more at home in the cloud realm.

The balloon-hounds strike me as something to just point and laugh at - they used to be deadly, but in the cloud world, they're helpless. x3

I agree. I think the player has had enough of the hounds jumping them, at this point. They need something new, and unpredictable for a threat. Perhaps something related to the static mechanic?

I also had the thought that the eel could be turned into a vine, that spawns near the beanstalk when it's grown.

Edit: The move to upandaway.prefabs isn't a pressing issue, so I reverted that change. All is right with the world. Now I can get to work on cloudwaves working and skyflies.

Edit 2:

What does everyone think of the cloudwaves? Anything anyone thinks should be changed?

NJKJQk5.gif

Or these ones:

RmaJq4u.gif

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2

I agree. I think the player has had enough of the hounds jumping them, at this point. They need something new, and unpredictable for a threat. Perhaps something related to the static mechanic?

I also had the thought that the eel could be turned into a vine, that spawns near the beanstalk when it's grown.

Edit: The move to upandaway.prefabs isn't a pressing issue, so I reverted that change. All is right with the world. Now I can get to work on cloudwaves working and skyflies.

Edit 2:

What does everyone think of the cloudwaves? Anything anyone thinks should be changed?

NJKJQk5.gif

Or these ones:

RmaJq4u.gif

beautiful, both of them.

Edited by SVGK

@debugman18

Do you prefer the current system of using dummy files to redirect loading to within upandaway/, or just keeping a list of the files to be redirected (with the mod handling that automatically without having to duplicate the directory structure)? Prefabs would still need the duplication because they're not loaded through require, but all the rest could use this alternate system.

Ideally, we wouldn't have to do either. But since Lua doesn't have filesystem support and the game doesn't provide any, there's no way to automatically generate the list of files that need redirection when the mod runs.

I preffer the second ones too. BTW can it be made that the cloud waves get darker with static too?

That's an interesting idea. I'd second that. Also , can they move slower ? 

Waves are ...well , waves. They're supposed to have a much more fluid movement. 

Clouds should "float" around , not "wave" around , IMHO.

• Like 1

OH! That looks a lot better resized than with the proportions i tested ingame. And since they're taller i don't have to add so many layers of color - i designed them like that so they would blend with the black background that can sometimes be seen between waves.

I might do a simpler TEX for them, with that in mind. Those have too much detail i think...

The Beanlets should be ready tonight TheDanaAddams, all states of the sideview and backview are completed already, just missing the frontview now.

Edit 2:

NJKJQk5.gif

Or these ones:

RmaJq4u.gif

I Like more the first.

Hi people!! I have been reading this thread since the first post.

Keep up the good work!!

Mind if I throw out an Idea?

Sure, go ahead!

@debugman18

With the addition of the cloud waves it was unmistakable that the ground really was invisible. The cause of that was that read-only tweak in configuration. I had completely overlooked the classic Lua issue that pairs/ipairs don't work on proxy tables. Lua 5.2 ammended that, but since we're on 5.1 I just made configs read-write again. The ground exists again. :razz:

• Like 1

Sure, go ahead!

Thanks! I was wondering since we are up in the sky, we should have: BIRDS!

Redbird.png

Chirp chirp!

Remember the birds in the overworld swooping down from the skies and flying back up?

They should be here but behaving differently from how they just cowardly avoid the player back on land

,(e.g. use the bee's sprite as base) since this where they are be more comfortable.

and since we are on it, why not: Bird Nests!

Treeclump.png

We could probably use this image since they abandoned it in game and will never use it ever again.

Bird nests could first be treated like an egg version of bee boxes back on land

(Harvest it for eggs and a flock of aggressive birds will spawn and come after you), while serving as another purpose.

200px-Killer_Bees.png

Imagine these as angry red birds dying to peck your eyes out.

With the perma-winter feature in the clouds, nests could serve as reheating hotspots(no pun intended) to help alleviate the freezing problem. Just place your heat stones near the nest for the birds to "incubate" and reheat it. However, heat stones look like eggs to them, and Momma-Bird hates egg thieves!

Tallbird_laying_an_Egg.png

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRKKKK!

We could use an avian boss.

Edited by TrueBenJ

@debugman18

Do you prefer the current system of using dummy files to redirect loading to within upandaway/, or just keeping a list of the files to be redirected (with the mod handling that automatically without having to duplicate the directory structure)? Prefabs would still need the duplication because they're not loaded through require, but all the rest could use this alternate system.

Ideally, we wouldn't have to do either. But since Lua doesn't have filesystem support and the game doesn't provide any, there's no way to automatically generate the list of files that need redirection when the mod runs.

I'm glad it worked for you. :razz: It fought with me. Maybe I missed something somewhere, but I couldn't find the issue.

I actually like the dummy file system you've got in place. Since we still need duplication of the prefabs, that seems the cleanest way of doing it.

Sure, go ahead!

@debugman18

With the addition of the cloud waves it was unmistakable that the ground really was invisible. The cause of that was that read-only tweak in configuration. I had completely overlooked the classic Lua issue that pairs/ipairs don't work on proxy tables. Lua 5.2 ammended that, but since we're on 5.1 I just made configs read-write again. The ground exists again. :razz:

Glad the ground is back! :grin:

OH! That looks a lot better resized than with the proportions i tested ingame. And since they're taller i don't have to add so many layers of color - i designed them like that so they would blend with the black background that can sometimes be seen between waves.

I might do a simpler TEX for them, with that in mind. Those have too much detail i think...

The Beanlets should be ready tonight TheDanaAddams, all states of the sideview and backview are completed already, just missing the frontview now.

We can change the image size of the waves in-game, how many are stuck together, etcetera. So whatever you decide to come up with, there's ways to make it fit in. :razz:

I also like the the look of the secon pic better, although isn't it the same graphic just from different distances?

Same graphic, different lines in the code.

@debugman18:

Do you mind trying this one ingame with those dimensions you used?

It's untested, i'm not very confident in the transparent blue degradee i applied...

I'll give it a shot.

E3H8h5k.gif

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 6

I am back !  :joyous:

Off-Topic:

You do realise that it's kind of cheating the forum system to like your own posts, don't you?

And in fact I just checked your profile, and 15 of your 17 likes are from yourself.

---

Anyway, I like the Balloon Hounds, but I think they shouldn't be able to move. It'd be quite funny to see a pack of Hounds tied to Balloons float up and randomly drift for a while.

And the Clouds are looking pretty good too. Especially the last ones.

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 6