[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Because the Cheshire Cat is a reference, I feel we should keep it as close to the original text description as possible, or at least its own mob. Also, I think the Rainbowcoon is coming along nicely. It'd probably be best to leave it alone, and let MC get on with it. I like the ways we can go with a food stealing Raccoon.

I feel the combined features of the animal would be quite OP. (Teleportation + Stealing Food = Annoyed Player). If we separate them up, the separate creatures will be more balanced.

But your idea didn't cause chaos, it caused debate, and debate is the best way to create the best thing we possibly can.

A good thing is , the Cheshire Cat only teleport when attacked by the player, it gonna save time , you can program 1 creature , but two is more hard.

A good thing is , the Cheshire Cat only teleport when attacked by the player, it gonna save time , you can program 1 creature , but two is more hard.

Not necessarily. The sheep are much more complicated than the skyflies. (Not counting the skyfly spawning.)

Because the Cheshire Cat is a reference, I feel we should keep it as close to the original text description as possible, or at least its own mob. Also, I think the Rainbowcoon is coming along nicely. It'd probably be best to leave it alone, and let MC get on with it. I like the ways we can go with a food stealing Raccoon.

I feel the combined features of the animal would be quite OP. (Teleportation + Stealing Food = Annoyed Player). If we separate them up, the separate creatures will be more balanced.

But your idea didn't cause chaos, it caused debate, and debate is the best way to create the best thing we possibly can.

I'm in agreement with this also, to keep the reference intact. Also, although there will be many new mobs added, which is obviously a handful, I think that as long as people are willing to work on the extra mobs that the variety of different creatures will be beneficial. This isn't to say that there aren't other mobs that could be combined, but I think as a whole, combining mobs should be an option if there are simply too many things that everyone wants to add and there just isn't enough resources to do it all.

Edit: God I can't type today.

Edited by thelefthelix

Is anyone else getting a stutter when playing the cloud level? I've been getting it ever since it was very basic, in the first version after transitioning to caves and including some basic things (turf, flowers and sheep).

It's very periodic and regular, after 3-4 seconds. And it's not a matter of performance, since a frame is taking 1-2ms to render in my PC (while for the vanilla world it takes 2-3ms usually, in a clear setting). I don't know what may be causing it. Using our own world entity with its own asset list did help quite a bit, but now it's back.

Is anyone else getting a stutter when playing the cloud level? I've been getting it ever since it was very basic, in the first version after transitioning to caves and including some basic things (turf, flowers and sheep).It's very periodic and regular, after 3-4 seconds. And it's not a matter of performance, since a frame is taking 1-2ms to render in my PC (while for the vanilla world it takes 2-3ms usually, in a clear setting). I don't know what may be causing it. Using our own world entity with its own asset list did help quite a bit, but now it's back.

Edit: After reconsideration, I'd say it has to do with textures. Something is amiss. Have you seen the issue with the cloudwaves?

Edited by debugman18

Sometimes. I think it has to do with the number of event listeners. I'm not sure, though.

If that were the case, it'd happen when the level changes state, but that's not how it goes for me. And it was there long before the static mechanic.

@TheDanaAddams:

Beanlets are ripe for the taking:

PSD file

All 107 layers (!!!) named and grouped, sending you PNGs would be confusing i think. There's some sprites that can be used as a single instance and then resized and deformed to fit other states, so i'd rather leave the exporting to you and allow the freedom to set everything up according to your plans for animating.

Previews:

I did an alternative design with a little vine for hair and added expression on different states, feel free not to use if it complicates the already massive task of animating all this.

wrlw.jpg

n6kk.jpg

EDIT:

I was planning on adding to your suffering with Spriter by making the lil' beans fall out of their pod on death, but that would be too evil of me, though the sprites are all there if you decide to go down that road.

Actually, I had planned to make them fall out. I was sorta infamous for making work harder for myself, in college. xP

It's the results that count.

Though the animation will be impossible without bones, so we won't be able to get it in-game until bone support is included.

As a test, I've been working on a completely unrelated creature (that's almost complete) that is very simple... and animating it without bones is killing me.

Spriter is designed to use the bones, so it's quite a nightmare to attempt doing anything without them. ;n;

Actually, I had planned to make them fall out. I was sorta infamous for making work harder for myself, in college. xP

It's the results that count.

Though the animation will be impossible without bones, so we won't be able to get it in-game until bone support is included.

As a test, I've been working on a completely unrelated creature (that's almost complete) that is very simple... and animating it without bones is killing me.

Spriter is designed to use the bones, so it's quite a nightmare to attempt doing anything without them. ;n;

I'm like that too :D

Hate easy stuff! The harder something is to achieve, the happier i am trying!

This fellowship is destined for greatness! :^P

I noticed your previous posts about the struggle with bones - bad news, but i'm not worried a bit about waiting for the pipelines to come out of alpha.

It might even be a positive thing. Gives us time to think twice about everything and get all the sprites ready. There's actually a few things in the PSD i sent you i should tweak before you work on it...

I'm thinking of trying Spriter with my idea for Giant Butterflies, they're pretty basic and shouldn't be hard to do without bones i think...

• Like 1

I love the beanboys. (Can we call them that?)

Possible quotes mebbe:

Wilson: They're like peas in a pod.

Willow: At least they burn well.

Wolfgang: Little bean boys too weak for Wolfgang!

Wendy: I wonder where the other heads go when it grows up.

WX-78: SNAP PEAS MONSTER-IFIED.

Wickerbottom: Common garden plants, mutated by a strange force.

Woodie: Why couldnt have it been a bacon child?

Maxwell: Looks, peaceful, but when it grows up...

I'd make it more like:

I love the beanboys. (Can we call them that?)
Possible quotes mebbe:

Wilson: They're like peas in a pod.
Willow: At least they burn well.
Wolfgang: Puny beans too weak for Wolfgang!
Wendy: I wonder where the other heads go when it grows up.
WX-78: ORGANIC LIFE FORM OF INEFFICIENT DESIGN. - Because of all the cramped up space
Wickerbottom: Common garden plants, mutated by a strange force.
Woodie: Why couldnt have it been a bacon child?
Maxwell: Looks, peaceful, but when it grows up...

I'd make it more like:

I try to stay out of the speeches business, but since we're reviewing KidneyBeanBoy's latest contribution, that Wickerbottom quote seems to need a bit more erudition, i'd say.

Something like: "Megaflora seems to thrive in this [water and] nitrogen rich environment" (too sciency and dry?)

PS: Short on time, debugman18, but i'll try to have the new poopturf ready tonight.

EDIT: Made several edits to the doc. Again, i love naming things, so i took the chance when you weren't looking and added your transmutation chest as an Eldritchest :^P (i know you'll hate it but couldn't resist lol)

Edited by lifemare

I try to stay out of the speeches business, but since we're reviewing KidneyBeanBoy's latest contribution, that Wickerbottom quote seems to need a bit more erudition, i'd say.

Something like: "Megaflora seems to thrive in this [water and] nitrogen rich environment" (too sciency and dry?)

PS: Short on time, debugman18, but i'll try to have the new poopturf ready tonight.

EDIT: Made several edits to the doc. Again, i love naming things, so i took the chance when you weren't looking and added your transmutation chest as an Eldritchest :^P (i know you'll hate it but couldn't resist lol)

That quote seems good. It would have been more scientific if I could have multiple tabs open on my phone. To check sciencey names of stuff on my phone. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

EDIT: Made several edits to the doc. Again, i love naming things, so i took the chance when you weren't looking and added your transmutation chest as an Eldritchest :^P (i know you'll hate it but couldn't resist lol)

Though, that Ark of the Coven suggestion i gave a while back could be used to create a great setpiece up there. Something involving biblical mysticism and greek mythology certainly spikes my interest. Though, as a rule of thumb, we might want to stay away from those areas as much as possible (just because they're so freaking huge), i'd love to see something alluding to The Fates (Moirai, Hecate, Erinyes) in this world we're creating.

Maybe make it a Touch Stone site with a Witches hut feel to it, that includes the EldritChest, some Crystal Lamps and perhaps a Cauldron to serve as a crockpot.

That quote seems good. It would have been more scientific if I could have multiple tabs open on my phone. To check sciencey names of stuff on my phone.

I'm not sure Megaflora is an actual word. I've heard of Megafauna though, so it makes sense. Glad you like it, i actually expected to be ignored there ;)

Edited by lifemare

I try to stay out of the speeches business, but since we're reviewing KidneyBeanBoy's latest contribution, that Wickerbottom quote seems to need a bit more erudition, i'd say.

Something like: "Megaflora seems to thrive in this [water and] nitrogen rich environment" (too sciency and dry?)

Yep , true.

Either way , I hope speeches will be payed close attention too.

They're a big part of the entertainment value :D.