[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

There's some neat concepts going on. If you guys need more help on the art side of things, let me know. I'd be happy to help. 

Like @simplex said, any help is welcome! :p

Hey, help is always appreciated! :grin:

And @debugman18, I fixed the moonwalking. It happened because you were readding the Transform (engine-level) component.

I.. Damn. I love the commit title, though. :D I never would of thought that transform would cause that.

And to comfirm.. "data.charged = inst.charged or nil" is a safety net kind of thing, right?

Also, I like the slurper snowball man idea. He saps your warmth. I'm not sure how/if static would effect him, but that's for discussion.

@1Nicolino

What do you mean you need the code for pigs and beefalo? Aren't you running Don't Starve?

• Like 1

Like @simplex said, any help is welcome! :p

I.. Damn. I love the commit title, though. :D I never would of thought that transform would cause that.

And to comfirm.. "data.charged = inst.charged or nil" is a safety net kind of thing, right?

Also, I like the slurper snowball man idea. He saps your warmth. I'm not sure how/if static would effect him, but that's up for discussion.

What about a hailstorm slurper?Twice as cold and slows you down when walking. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

And to comfirm.. "data.charged = inst.charged or nil" is a safety net kind of thing, right?

Not really. It's just about saving a tiny bit of disk space. It means the savedata entry will not be created to store "false", instead nothing will be saved.

That github page is a bit small. Could we make it a bit bigger (major features,etc.)

Its main purpose is to store documentation. I just put a thing or two so it wouldn't be completely empty. This thread's OP is the "center" of information. There's no point updating both.

What we could do is use the page as the main reference and just make the OP link to it. That would have the advantage that the website is actually a git repo (more precisely, it's the branch "gh-pages" in our repo), so any collaborator of the repo could edit/update it.

And by the way, the page's contents are synced to the repo's README.md.

Edited by simplex

Nice! That'll be helpful for the collaborators. And since some of them don't use Git, it's an easier way to see what's happening.

Well, the project is getting quite big. Without proper documentation, even we'll start to get lost.

I'm using LuaDoc to generate the documentation. It has basically the same syntax as Doxygen, JavaDoc, etc., with tags added inside comments in the code. You start a "special" comment block using 3 dashes and then include the documentation tags. For example:

----- @[member="description"] Returns the height of the level we are currently in.---- The height is 0 for a survival map, 1 for the first cloud level, 2 for the-- second one, etc. For the first cave level, it is -1, for the second one it-- is -2, etc.-- <br /><br />-- This is primarily meant to be used as a test for whether we are in a cloud-- level or not.-- <br /><br />-- Works both under normal game and under worldgen (using different methods).-- <br /><br />-- At worldgen, the level number is used. At normal game, the level number is-- used except when we are at a cloud level, where the level id is used instead.-- The level id is given preference because the level number can possibly change-- for compatibility reasons, so this allows us to keep our system compatible-- with older saves.--function GetLevelHeight()    --[[ Code here ]]--
If it received a parameter, say "x", I'd put a line "@param x Is an argument described by this". Those "<br />" are because you need to use HTML line breaks so they'll actually appear in the doc. At least that's how it goes with the last packaged release of LuaDoc, I saw someone pushed a "fix" to the LuaDoc GitHub repo, but I don't know how stable the git version is.

Anyway, I think documenting the code as we write them can only benefit us (and new collaborators). Documenting a bunch of pre-existing code is what would be the pain. :razz:

EDIT: Ooops, I just realized this very snippet I posted has outdated documentation (which was a comment I converted). It doesn't use level ids, is uses savedata. I'll update the doc. :razz:

And oh, to integrate the README.md and doc/ syncing I'm using this (with a tweaked post-commit, though).

Edited by simplex

Hello, I was reading up on this and had this thought.

In the begginning I saw conversation regarding day/night cycles.

I think it started off wanting permanent day/ permanent winter.

Well anyway, how about moon light?

Instead of a "night" you could use the dawn/dusk darkness level during half moons and full moons.

The way the player says "its getting dark, I need to make a fire"

if moon is greater than half, the player will make a comment about the moon being bright.

Edited by Ze-hummel
  • Like 2

I've been needing to practice with my tablet, so I figured it would be a good excuse to come up with concept art for potential additions. Here is a rough sketch (and color, because I like color) of a flying lemur type mob:

Edit: One moment.

hNG8dMq.png?1

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 4

I've been needing to practice with my tablet, so I figured it would be a good excuse to come up with concept art for potential additions. Here is a rough sketch (and color, because I like color) of a flying lemur type mob:

hNG8dMq.png?1

I like him. I really like him! Reminds me somewhat of everyone's favourite rainbow-based Raccoon...

Edited by ArcticFox789

hNG8dMq.png?1

I like it but at the same time that face creeps me out.