[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Beautiful idea, Rabbitfist! I'm a huge fan of Miyazaki, so i could never say no to that.

And that's precisely the kind of blocky simple design that makes me lean towards a Rock Lobster. Though a Treeguard could work there aswell, of course, just would have a lot more jiggling parts, which i'm not sure would look very good, and the atlas is a mess:

77of.png

But i don't see a problem with the way the Lobsters walk, TeoSS69... It's just as bulky and slow as a Treeguard's, the only issue would be its four legs, but that could be made to look good in a mechanized body...

Personally, I'd be more inclined towards the rock lobster as well, simply because when I think of a golem I think of some massive, blocky monster that uses its front arms a lot to support its weight. (Kinda like an ape.)

Ignoring the color scheme, a body style similar to this is what comes to mind for me.

Golemcoc.png

Edit: I just pulled this image off Google, not sure who the artist is.

Edited by thelefthelix

Personally, I'd be more inclined towards the rock lobster as well, simply because when I think of a golem I think of some massive, blocky monster that uses its front arms a lot to support its weight. (Kinda like an ape.)

Ignoring the color scheme, a body style similar to this is what comes to mind for me.

Golemcoc.png

Edit: I just pulled this image off Google, not sure who the artist is.

It's from an iOS game called Clash of Clans.

• Like 1

Agreed it should have a massive imposing figure in that style, but i'd ignore the whole apish look.

I think a Gold Golem demands a somewhat noble semblance...

MilleniumCount's poopturf should tile perfectly now debugman18:

vfxp.png

I hope that's what you wanted. When you mentioned tesselation i actually thought you meant re-doing the edges of the poopcloud atlas, but i'm guessing you meant just tiling the noise sprite, right?

I've tried checking ingame for the turf, but it's still showing as black... Hadn't simplex managed to solve that a while back?

Very curious to know how the poopturf edges look....

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 1

I've tried checking ingame for the turf, but it's still showing as black... Hadn't simplex managed to solve that a while back?

Very curious to know how do the poopturf edges look....

I did solve it, but I didn't check in standalone. Maybe something is off by those lands. But anyway, with the update released today, I don't think that's a big issue (sorry :()

I did solve it, but I didn't check in standalone. Maybe something is off by those lands. But anyway, with the update released today, I don't think that's a big issue (sorry :()

No rush there! Good luck with the update simplex! Hope it doesn't break too many things.........

I'll check the poopturf in Steam then.

Edited by lifemare

No rush there! Good luck with the update simplex! Hope it doesn't break too many things.........

I just checked, and it didn't break anything.

Anyway, I also just checked the mod under standalone, and it doesn't run (because the longbill uses the Nightmare Knight* anims). So how are you running it? Are you sure you pulled the last git commit?

* This is just to piss Teo off.

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

I just checked, and it didn't break anything.

Anyway, I also just checked the mod under standalone, and it doesn't run (because the longbill uses the Nightmare Knight anims). So how are you running it? Are you sure you pulled the last git commit?

Unless you updated it a few hours ago, i have the latest commit.

What i don't have is the latest DS update ;^P (you know me, i hate change lol)

EDIT: i cant rite proprer tooday

Edited by lifemare

Unless you updated it a few hours ago, i have the latest commit.

What i don't have is the latest DS update ;^P (you know me, i hate change lol)

EDIT: i cant rite proprer tooday

Then how is it not crashing? You should be getting this:

scripts/util.lua:269: Could not find an asset matching anim/knight_nightmare.zip in any of the search paths.LUA ERROR stack traceback:        =[C] in function 'assert'        scripts/util.lua(269,1) in function 'resolvefilepath'        scripts/mainfunctions.lua(18,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'        scripts/mainfunctions.lua(42,1)        =(tail call) ?        =[C] in function 'xpcall'        scripts/mods.lua(15,1)        scripts/mods.lua(249,1) in function 'RegisterPrefabs'        scripts/main.lua(202,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'        scripts/main.lua(238,1)        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'        scripts/modindex.lua(55,1)        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'        scripts/modindex.lua(45,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'        scripts/main.lua(237,1) in function 'callback'        scripts/modindex.lua(285,1)        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'        scripts/modindex.lua(265,1) in function 'Load'        scripts/main.lua(236,1) in main chunk

Teo Crash confirmed.

Please let us know when that gets patched.

(btw what's the latest functional commit? - In case i need to revert for a quick test...)

But it's not a proper crash/bug! It's just that the longbill is using animations from the standard game your version doesn't include yet. Then, when the game unsuccessfully tries to find them, it raises an error.

The latest functional commit for you would be whatever one doesn't include the longbill. But since the update should reach standalone shortly (tomorrow?), I think it would be best to just wait a bit.

Edited by simplex

But it's not a proper crash/bug! It's just that the longbill is using animations from the standard game your version doesn't include yet. Then, when the game unsuccessfully tries to find them, it raises an error.

The latest functional commit for you would be whatever one doesn't include the longbill. But since the update should reach standalone shortly (tomorrow?), I think it would be best to just wait a bit.

Gotcha!

Sorry i made you use so many words to explain that to me :^P you must be tired now lol

Anyway... these edges could use a bit more fluffiness, no?... I'll see what i can do about it when i get a chance.

gzpm.jpg

(Hope you don't mind me fiddling with your art MilleniumCount? Just retouching a bit...)

Looking back on my comments and since it's not the first time this kind of troubleshooting extends through a somewhat large amount of posts (and antecipating that more and more people will be trying the alpha mod in different platforms), should we consider opening a Testing Thread for U&A and leave this one for brainstorming only?

Since teo does the Wolfgangs and rabbitfist does the Willows, I wanna do the WX-78s. (Btw, nice turf art, lifemare.

Quotes for golden golem:

Wilson: Alchemy for the rich.

WX-78: MY METAL DETECTORS ARE GOING INSANE.

Wendy: Even soulless automatons like to flaunt their riches.

Wickerbottom: (I will do this once I get on my computer)

Woodie: What a showoff.

Maxwell: What a dapper fellow. A bit hostile, though.

Looking back on my comments and since it's not the first time this kind of troubleshooting extends through a somewhat large amount of posts (and antecipating that more and more people will be trying the alpha mod in different platforms), should we consider opening a Testing Thread for U&A and leave this one for brainstorming only?

I still don't know who's actually testing it. That question I made about which collaborators were running it got no replies, after all. So it's hard to say.

I still don't know who's actually testing it. That question I made about which collaborators were running it got no replies, after all. So it's hard to say.

Yeah, that crossed my mind aswell. I figured having such a thread might encourage more people to help test... (do we need testers at this moment?) Sooner or later, i think a Troubleshooting thread will be an absolute necessity. But it's certainly (too?) soon now.

Personally, i just feel bad for spamming every subscriber's notifications with this sort of issues here... :cower:

Just a suggestion though... Up to you and debug. I understand completely if you choose against it. Having yet another page for U&A to manage is not something i expect debugman to be very welcoming of...

Btw, nice turf art, lifemare.

Oh, no! That's not my art Beanboy!

Just fixed a few pixels for better tiling.

MilleniumCount takes all the credit here :grin:

Edited by lifemare

as texture for the golem i would suggest the golems from castle in the sky

Castle%2Bin%2Bthe%2BSky%2Brobot.jpg

I have liked , but ... the project of the robot is the same used for make the Iron Golem , from Minecraft.

(probable gonna be a much good project , its bad see this men hunting you , he is soo cuttie  :frown-new: )

Yeah, that crossed my mind aswell. I figured having such a thread might encourage more people to help test... (do we need testers at this moment?) Sooner or later, i think a Troubleshooting thread will be an absolute necessity. But it's certainly (too?) soon now.

Personally, i just feel bad for spamming every subscriber's notifications with this sort of issues here... :cower:

Just a suggestion though... Up to you and debug. I understand completely if you choose against it. Having yet another page for U&A to manage is not something i expect debugman to be very welcoming of...

Oh, no! That's not my art Beanboy!

Just fixed a few pixels for better tiling.

MilleniumCount takes all the credit here :grin:

I'm not sure that we need people testing it, at the moment. Many things aren't completely functional, and not because of bugs. (They're simply not finished.) I think that once we start implementing biomes and the like, and have more things working as intended, it would then be a more ideal time to start alpha testing. (Once we're in alpha, that is.) If that involves another thread (since this one is the collaboration thread, not the release/testing thread) then so be it.

@simplex

What are your thoughts on that? I know we have no idea who's testing, currently...

• Like 3

I'm not sure that we need people testing it, at the moment. Many things aren't completely functional, and not because of bugs. (They're simply not finished.) I think that once we start implementing biomes and the like, and have more things working as intended, it would then be a more ideal time to start alpha testing. (Once we're in alpha, that is.) If that involves another thread (since this one is the collaboration thread, not the release/testing thread) then so be it.

@simplex

What are your thoughts on that? I know we have no idea who's testing, currently...

I think it's certainly too soon for public testing. "Officially supported" public testing, that is, since anyone interested can download "the repo" (that zip's called a git bundle, actually) at any time.

But if there were (if there are?) enough collaborators testing it, some place to organize that might help. This doesn't seem to be the case, though. And @lifemare, don't feel guilty about posting these issues here. Discussion like that are quite beneficial for squashing bugs out, or at least to keep more people in sync with what's going on (after all, details about code don't tend to be discussed here, just an overview).

But I do think we should aim for an alpha release not that far from now. Core functionality/mobs/items are enough for it.

• Like 3

Since teo does the Wolfgangs and rabbitfist does the Willows, I wanna do the WX-78s. (Btw, nice turf art, lifemare.

Quotes for golden golem:

Wilson: Alchemy for the rich.

WX-78: MY METAL DETECTORS ARE GOING INSANE.

Wendy: Even soulless automatons like to flaunt their riches.

Wickerbottom: (I will do this once I get on my computer)

Woodie: What a showoff.

Maxwell: What a dapper fellow. A bit hostile, though.

having one person for each characters quotes is a good idea as those who play them often know the character well

if we are going ahead with one on each I can help with the Wendy quotes

* This is just to piss Teo off.

Story of my life a standalone version user. When the update rolls out for Standalone, i'll be sure to check the out the mod.

Right now i'm brainstorming for items and mob drops. Will check the "Items" section of the wiki to see what can be done. :)

having one person for each characters quotes is a good idea as those who play them often know the character well

if we are going ahead with one on each I can help with the Wendy quotes

I like that idea. But keep away from Wendy -shakes fist at you- :p

Nah. Winnie has my hands tied as it is. Also worked on her perks a bit so they're more unique. I've gotten a few things.

Candies and sweets give health instead of draining it. (She can survive off the cloud realm's food better.)

Has extra insulation. (She lives in the cloud realm, she should be used to the cold.)

Can't stand vegetables. (Drains sanity.)

Storm Rams are neutral to her.

Story of my life a standalone version user. When the update rolls out for Standalone, i'll be sure to check the out the mod.

Right now i'm brainstorming for items and mob drops. Will check the "Items" section of the wiki to see what can be done. :-)

I was actually referring to usage of the term "Nightmare Knight". :razz:

The update should reach standalone pretty soon, anyway.

• Like 1

I come bearing gifts!

I've been hard at work, cutting Lifemare's Beanlet art into the necessary pieces, and assembling it all in Spriter.

Well, good news - I've finally finished the... side view.

And I really hope the scale is right - it took me forever to find what felt right, and I'm hoping it comes out properly in-game.

The interchangeable parts (faces and "hair") have been set up to properly and seamlessly switch, everything is correctly Z-ordered, pivot points have been set for all pieces, and everything has been aligned.

I threw in a little dummy animation that I could slap together without bones, just so it would do something.

My primary concern, though, is just making sure the scale is right in-game, so the sooner someone (most likely Debug xP) can bring it in, and take a screenshot, the sooner I can stop being paranoid about that. =)

From here, the next step is to set up the bone structure... and then do it all again for the front and back views.

Without further ado:

Beanlets.zip

Enjoy!

• Like 6