[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

Well light is not really the problem up there...wouldn't be smarter to have a special torch that emits heat instead of light?

It'd be more of a surface reward.

But we do need to think of heat sources, since we're leaning towards (though that's not quite settled) disallowing fire up there.

• Like 1

I do like what was suggested, about random heatstones from meteors and such being the primary source of heat. And then you could make special sheep wool clothes that would slow freezing. 

Also, is all of the candy fruit going to lower health like taffy does? Because it doesn't make too much sense that you could survive for weeks off of candy alone. 

Edited by Delta/V

@simplex

I cleaned up sheep.lua quite a lot, but I think I'm failing to grasp how to properly call a transformation. I think I fixed the issue of the ram moonwalking (I think it was some issue with SGsheep telling an idle to StopMoving) but now I've run into a different issue. (And I can't know for sure about the moonwalking fix until the transformation works properly.) It spits out that it doesn't know what fnsheepelectric/fnsheepcommon is. (And they're both there.) If I remove 'local' it doesn't crash, but the sheep doesn't transform, either. Should I make them one single prefab, similarly to monkey.lua? Once I get the sheep transformation figured out, should be cake making other things transform on charge/uncharge, too.

Edit: I think I need to make fn act as the regular sheep (so when they spawn, they immediately become regular sheep) and the add status based changes to them to turn them into rams. I just want to know if I'm barking up the right tree before I go and make the changes necessary for that.

Edited by debugman18

@simplex

I cleaned up sheep.lua quite a lot, but I think I'm failing to grasp how to properly call a transformation. I think I fixed the issue of the ram moonwalking (I think it was some issue with SGsheep telling an idle to StopMoving) but now I've run into a different issue. (And I can't know for sure about the moonwalking fix until the transformation works properly.) It spits out that it doesn't know what fnsheepelectric/fnsheepcommon is. (And they're both there.) If I remove 'local' it doesn't crash, but the sheep doesn't transform, either. Should I make them one single prefab, similarly to monkey.lua? Once I get the sheep transformation figured out, should be cake making other things transform on charge/uncharge, too.

With local variables (in particular functions) they need to be declared before being referenced. So just put the fn() below the other ones. And since the prefab code is running in the global environment, these functions really should be local, otherwise you're exporting them into the global environment.

Making them a single prefab would be cleaner, yes, and it would make it easier to pass state between both prefabs (but setting up the components would be slightly more involved).

Edit: I think I need to make fn act as the regular sheep (so when they spawn, they immediately become regular sheep) and the add status based changes to them to turn them into rams. I just want to know if I'm barking up the right tree before I go and make the changes necessary for that.

Yes, that'd be the way to do it. Write a fn() that adds common components and configurations, and then use functions such as set_sheepelectric() (which would amount to fnsheepelectric() without the building logic, receiving the entity as a parameter) which apply custom configurations, possibly adding new components (but if you have to add specific components to one form, make sure to remove it in the other one). When building the prefab always call one of these "set" functions (the one representing the default form, in this case the sheep).

EDIT: Then save a flag representing the current type that calls the set_sheepelectric() (or whatever you'll call it) if it was charged.

And by the way, isn't it a bit confusing to call the regular sheep "sheep" and the storm ram "electric sheep"? :razz:

Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

And by the way, isn't it a bit confusing to call the regular sheep "sheep" and the storm ram "electric sheep"? :razz:

Transforming works again. I'll add onsave/onload so that the state is persistent. Then I'll do the string changes. I don't know exactly how GetStatus works, but I'll look at the monkey.lua again and figure it out.

The moonwalking issue is still there, though. I still suspect the issue lies in SGsheep somewhere. It's evading my attempts.

The naming conventions can easily be changed. What do we want the final names to be?

And oh yes, the big problem with them not transforming either way is the leftover "inst = CreateEntity()" inside fnsheepelectric() and similar. You should just apply logic over the received entity, not create a new one.

Already changed those things with the conversion to a single prefab. :razz:

antlion2.jpg

atlas-0-2.png

Here's the Lionant, let me know what you guys think.

Sweet! Do you want me to make a custom atlas for it, with better scaling? (I think the body should be much smaller.)

Edited by debugman18

Transforming works again. I'll add onsave/onload so that the state is persistent. Then I'll do the string changes. I don't know exactly how GetStatus works, but I'll look at the monkey.lua again and figure it out.

The moonwalking issue is still there, though. I still suspect the issue lies in SGsheep somewhere. It's evading my attempts.

The naming conventions can easily be changed. What do we want the final names to be?

Already changed those things with the conversion to a single prefab. :razz:

Sweet! Do you want me to make a custom atlas for it, with better scaling? (I think the body should be much smaller.)

I agree on the scaling thing but I wasn't quite sure how it would be done, so I didn't think to scale it down any further, so feel free to use and abuse it as you see fit. :razz: I'm glad you like it and that he turned out well, thanks again Lifemare for the PSD, I couldn't have done it without you!

I agree on the scaling thing but I wasn't quite sure how it would be done, so I didn't think to scale it down any further, so feel free to use and abuse it as you see fit. :razz: I'm glad you like it and that he turned out well, thanks again Lifemare for the PSD, I couldn't have done it without you!

Well there are now tools for custom animations, so I'll set an atlas up for you guys to play with! :D If I understand it correctly, once the parts (the images for each section) are in place, animations can be added/removed without the atlas changing.

Well there are now tools for custom animations, so I'll set an atlas up for you guys to play with! :grin: If I understand it correctly, once the parts (the images for each section) are in place, animations can be added/removed without the atlas changing.

Awesome! Admittedly I haven't investigated too much with the custom animation things outside of just skimming the post they made about it. It's very exciting knowing that we could have so much more control over our creations!

Truth be told, the onsave/onload wouldn't really be required. The way I implemented the static generator, if it was saved in its charged state, it'll push the upandaway_charge event when loading (and only then, if it saved as uncharged it'll push nothing). So you actually could not save anything and just let the event listener take care of it.

But I think this behaviour on the static generator is a bit... asymmetric. And it'd be relying on its implementation. I'm not quite sure if it'd be best to settle on this behaviour of the static generator as standard and let prefabs depend on it, or to make them ignore it (such as here, using onsave/onload method) so that it may be changed in the future.

And oh, don't forget to keep a flag for the current state (the same you're saving) and use that to only do the transformation if the prefab is not already in the target state.

I think "sheep" and "ram" are good internal names. (but, of course, something longer and more specific like "electric_sheep" for the first and "storm_ram" for the second would reduce the chance of a conflict with Klei's future prefabs).

Well there are now tools for custom animations, so I'll set an atlas up for you guys to play with! :grin: If I understand it correctly, once the parts (the images for each section) are in place, animations can be added/removed without the atlas changing.

Yes, that's how it goes. The anims only care about symbol names. And the build defines them based on the atlas.

And good work, @thelefthelix! Very nicely done!

Here's the Lionant, let me know what you guys think.

I like it, except the mane. The 'mane' (I made a pun!) thing for me is the two parts that stick up on top of the head. It just looks too well groomed for a giant half ant half lion creature that lives in the clouds. Maybe a less organised mane would look interesting. Maybe being the important word in that sentence.

---

No! No! No! D:

GIMP crashes just as I finish my three-hour long work on the Duckraptor, and I'm busted back down to this. No!

Put it this, way, I am not gonna be able to tackle this again without serious mental trauma therapy. :/

Edited by ArcticFox789

No! No! No! D:

GIMP crashes just as I finish my three-hour long work on the Duckraptor, and I'm busted back down to this. No!

Put it this, way, I am not gonna be able to tackle this again without serious mental trauma therapy. :/

That's very... unfortunate, to say the least. :/

And @debugman18, I'll take a closer look into the moonwalking later.

Awesome! Admittedly I haven't investigated too much with the custom animation things outside of just skimming the post they made about it. It's very exciting knowing that we could have so much more control over our creations!

It's very awesome being able to make new animations! The tool seems to be incredibly buggy right now, though.

Yhpt8e7.jpg

(And mind you, the images I loaded in Spriter look completely normal.)

On a related note, could you make a sketch of what its proportions/part positions would be ideally? I'm not the best at such things, and as such, my antlion here is a little... unlucky.

I like it, except the mane. The 'mane' (I made a pun!) thing for me is the two parts that stick up on top of the head. It just looks too well groomed for a giant half ant half lion creature that lives in the clouds. Maybe a less organised mane would look interesting. Maybe being the important word in that sentence.

---

No! No! No! D:

That really sucks, man. :/ Step outside, get some fresh air, relax some. No rush, either. There's plenty of time for these things. Don't stress yourself out over it!

---

No! No! No! D:

I agree that it does look well groomed, and it's something I had originally considered, but was more focused on just getting the perspective right. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can make him look a little more rugged.

As for the crash, I completely feel your pain on that. I once had been working on a drawing for somewhere around 3 - 4 hours and had spent the larger portion of that time adding some fine details to some fur if I remember right, when photoshop crashed and I lost it all. If I had cash to throw away I'd like to have thrown my tablet through my monitor. :razz: Though I guess it wasn't all bad, it did make me start saving files religiously.

It's very awesome being able to make new animations! The tool seems to be incredibly buggy right now, though.

Yhpt8e7.jpg

(And mind you, the images I loaded in Spriter look completely normal.)

On a related note, could you make a sketch of what its proportions/part positions would be ideally? I'm not the best at such things, and as such, my antlion here is a little... unlucky.

Absolutely. He does look like he found himself on the shallow end of the gene pool, doesn't he? With the custom animation tools and textures, is it possible to break away from the base texture? Because...

considering the freedom with the new tools, I've thought up an idea for the antlion, having the face as a regular lion's seems a little off in my personal opinion perhaps it could have some ant-y features

makes an good point. If we are able to just toss added parts into the atlas, I'm thinking he might appreciate some antennea. (Is that spelled right?)

Edit: Also if this is the case, I think a seperate image for his midsection would be the better alternative to using his BFA.

Edited by thelefthelix

I agree that it does look well groomed, and it's something I had originally considered, but was more focused on just getting the perspective right. I'll play around with it some more to see if I can make him look a little more rugged.

As for the crash, I completely feel your pain on that. I once had been working on a drawing for somewhere around 3 - 4 hours and had spent the larger portion of that time adding some fine details to some fur if I remember right, when photoshop crashed and I lost it all. If I had cash to throw away I'd like to have thrown my tablet through my monitor. :razz: Though I guess it wasn't all bad, it did make me start saving files religiously.

Absolutely. He does look like he found himself on the shallow end of the gene pool, doesn't he? With the custom animation tools and textures, is it possible to break away from the base texture? Because...

makes an good point. If we are able to just toss added parts into the atlas, I'm thinking he might appreciate some antennea. (Is that spelled right?)

Edit: Also if this is the case, I think a seperate image for his midsection would be the better alternative to using his BFA.

You could add new parts whenever, but it would make previous atlas versions stop working properly. Of course, it wouldn't break any animations. Just old atlases.

You could add new parts whenever, but it would make previous atlas versions stop working properly. Of course, it wouldn't break any animations. Just old atlases.

Just about to rush out the door, but I did have a few minutes to create this laughably crude sketch for your proportion reference. I'll be able to give a real one (with different angles if needed) when I get back in a couple hours.

antscale.jpg

Edit: And now that I look back on it, all the legs should (if possible) come from the midsection. I wanted to point that out since my drawing doesn't reflect it. (Told you I was in a rush!)

Edited by thelefthelix
  • Like 1

Just about to rush out the door, but I did have a few minutes to create this laughably crude sketch for your proportion reference. I'll be able to give a real one (with different angles if needed) when I get back in a couple hours.

antscale.jpg

Edit: And now that I look back on it, all the legs should (if possible) come from the midsection. I wanted to point that out since my drawing doesn't reflect it. (Told you I was in a rush!)

Perfect. That is exactly the style of mane I'd like to see.

Antenna are needed. Maybe a removal of the Lions mouth, in favour of pincers? I'd keep the eyes and nose though, really like those.

and the mane, that should stay too.

an antlion sounds simple but its gonna take some time to get the right balance of ant and lion I think

• Like 1