Hello I Draw The Art

Hey, if the forums are stressing you out, take a break. If you don't like doing this, don't! It's not hard! We understand, and you don't have to add pictures everyday! Just relax. And remember, if you want to leave, we are gonna be sad, but we understand! But for now take a break!

It's not really the forum itself, but some of the people here have harassed and bothered me.

Thankfully it's only a handful out of the entire community

I've also noticed that it's really the same 3 people posting on my thread over and over again and I'm really surprised at this point I haven't drawn in new people

I don't know what I'm doing wrong

I'd be more inclined to post here if there was actually conversations to participate in

I've also noticed that it's really the same 3 people posting on my thread over and over again and I'm really surprised at this point I haven't drawn in new people

I'd be more inclined to post here if there was actually conversations to participate in

its just one of those things it seems, art threads rarely have meaningful conversations without derailing getting overboard fast.

you aren't doing anything wrong at all you're making art and doing it really well, but it seems to be very slow for a thread to gain traction as newer people hop into the most posted in ones first. its a bit of an unfair catch 22

just bear in mind there are likely many a lurker taking a look that you could try and hook into conversation, feedback etc

I shouldn't have to owe anyone anything without expecting something in return

its like asking a musician to make a song for you for free or expecting to get law advice from a lawyer without paying a fee

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

For some reason when it comes to artists people seem to think they can just get free stuff and thats not rad

Also I know I havn't posted here but I secretly stalk your thread and your art

But... I'm here too! Even though I haven't said anything before. I'm just a secret stalker spamming the like-button everywhere..! >_<

Because.. What else can I say other than "I love your art".

Your art is awesome, and I'll do my best to post more comments in the future! :D

• Like 1

But... I'm here too! Even though I haven't said anything before. I'm just a secret stalker spamming the like-button everywhere..! >_<

Because.. What else can I say other than "I love your art".

Your art is awesome, and I'll do my best to post more comments in the future! :grin:

Thanks! Just so you guys know too I'm more then happy to hear feedback and constructive criticism as well as answer any and all the questions you guys have

I can honestly say I don't understand what's up with all the negative feelings towards requests. I mean, if someone asks you to draw something, you're perfectly within your rights to say no for any reason at all or to ignore them outright. How does that hurt you?

On the very rare occasions when I've asked someone to draw something, I do it expecting the person I'm asking to refuse if they don't want to. I'm not entitled to anything, and all I can offer in return is my gratitude and a 'like.' But, maybe the person is nice or maybe my idea is just something they would enjoy drawing anyway? I'd never know unless I asked!

I hope no one takes this as me trying to make people do requests, because that is not my intent at all. I'm not trying to criticize anyone for not taking requests; I just don't understand why you'd become angry with someone for politely suggesting something to draw.

As for responding to art threads like this, I just really don't have anything to say that couldn't be expressed better as a 'like.' I'm no artist or art critic, so I can't really give meaningful feedback. But, just because I don't respond doesn't mean I'm not appreciating your art.

And now I just hope like anything I haven't said something terribly offensive.

I can honestly say I don't understand what's up with all the negative feelings towards requests. I mean, if someone asks you to draw something, you're perfectly within your rights to say no for any reason at all or to ignore them outright. How does that hurt you?

On the very rare occasions when I've asked someone to draw something, I do it expecting the person I'm asking to refuse if they don't want to. I'm not entitled to anything, and all I can offer in return is my gratitude and a 'like.' But, maybe the person is nice or maybe my idea is just something they would enjoy drawing anyway? I'd never know unless I asked!

I hope no one takes this as me trying to make people do requests, because that is not my intent at all. I'm not trying to criticize anyone for not taking requests; I just don't understand why you'd become angry with someone for politely suggesting something to draw.

As for responding to art threads like this, I just really don't have anything to say that couldn't be expressed better as a 'like.' I'm no artist or art critic, so I can't really give meaningful feedback. But, just because I don't respond doesn't mean I'm not appreciating your art.

I don't take offense, but the problem is that sometimes when you say you'll accept requests, people don't care about your current art. They only want the picture you drew for them, and then they leave.

I shouldn't have to owe anyone anything without expecting something in return

its like asking a musician to make a song for you for free or expecting to get law advice from a lawyer without paying a fee

You're both right. 

We can't force anyone to draw anything for us. It's the artists time after all and they should be entitled compensation for their work.

On the other hand you're asking for payment for something people get for free else where. See the problem? 

So the thing is, you should stick with your decision. You're not doing requests and a lot of people here don't know much about art, so the usual comment you'll get is "Cool drawing". And you should get used to that.

Never feel bad about charging for your skills as an artist, you have a talent, it can be used as a commodity. Today's economic situation for many is dire at best, so utilizing any means necessary to survive is your right.

And of course, since it is YOUR talent and time, if you want to share with a community you enjoy being a part of and that you feel appreciates it, then that is your call! However, if you feel a certain community is not so nice to be a part of, there are lots of other forums with members that are nicer and less hostile.

Its unfortunate if you go that route, i know being inspired by the source material is a big part of it! Dont starve is a cool game with cool art style for sure! But there are alot of other game communities out there if you feel like this one is not right for you. I hope you stay, though, if at least to spite the haters!

Those that cant do what you do Art wise have choices as well, as the poster above me pointed out:

We can't force anyone to draw anything for us. It's the artists time after all and they should be entitled compensation for their work.

On the other hand you're asking for payment for something people get for free else where. See the problem?

It's just like Video Game makers like our own KLEI and those nefarious game pirates. Artists, coders/scripters, musicians, writers all are at a point where intellectual property is a minefield.

Good luck with your art man, you've got real talent!

Edited by fritoz
  • Like 1

This is the biggest load of B******T Ive read this month, and im pretty disappointed in humanity for reading this being honest.

Let us begin by making a few points by using the logic of, this person does for free, so you should too, you know, if you want to be more popular.

I can watch full movies online by looking them up, so movie theaters should be free.

I can google recipes, so recipe books should be free.

Magazines should be free because internet!

See where Im going with this. An artist should NEVER EVER EVER feel as though they have to do art for people to gain popularity. If a person likes your art, they like it. Drawing someone something for free isn't going to magically make them like your style and skill level more. The'll just take the art and run, and your back to where you started, or just ask for more.

I don't even understand where this whole idea of artists just doing art for free started anyways. We study for years, stacked on more years, stacked on more years, paying attention to every line we do, every curve, every color, why should that just become free samples?

And heres another point. I used to do requests, and you know what happened? Whenever I would deny a request I was screamed at. How dare I not do free for someone. It just became, you abuse it, you lose it.

We put a lot of time into our art, pour our souls into that, and if were not taking requests, and say were not taking requests, IT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE MADE INTO A DISCUSSION. Not to mention a discussion of becoming popular.

• Like 2

That's not at all what I meant. Read the rest of my post too.

oh no no no no no I read all of that post.

Which summed up to they can do what they want and dont have to take requests

But theirs a BUT in there. The but of, "On the other hand you're asking for payment for something people get for free else where. See the problem?"

That sublte but, dont rock the boat, shouldn't even be in here.

Infact, for the sake of their art thread, I think this discussion should by made into a different topic entirely, or dropped. Ill start a topic about this in another fourm, so you can continue to cary the discussion there.

oh no no no no no I read all of that post.

Which summed up to they can do what they want and dont have to take requests

But theirs a BUT in there. The but of, "On the other hand you're asking for payment for something people get for free else where. See the problem?"

That sublte but, dont rock the boat, shouldn't even be in here.

Infact, for the sake of their art thread, I think this discussion should by made into a different topic entirely, or dropped. Ill start a topic about this in another fourm, so you can continue to cary the discussion there.

No it doesn't. That's you reading what you want to read. With that part I meant that activity is related to requests. And people go do requests where they are free. With that post I encourage Max to stick to what she's doing instead of asking her to do things for free.

Will this new thread include an apology to me for saying i make you lose hope in humanity when you clearly twisted my words?

No it doesn't. That's you reading what you want to read. With that part I meant that activity is related to requests. And people go do requests where they are free. With that post I encourage Max to stick to what she's doing instead of asking her to do things for free.

Will this new thread include an apology to me for saying i make you lose hope in humanity when you clearly twisted my words?

So your small comment of other people doing requests on the topic of their popularity was REALLY saying they shouldn't have to? Then you should clarify that dont rock the boat comment more.

Im not appologizing. I see this stuff everywhere and Im beyond sick of it.

Anyways, the discussion should be pushed to here, so this art thread isnt flooded.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/30356-discussion-about-art-requests/