Discussion about art requests

NicoleArtist

Should artists HAVE to do requests? Are they entitled to their right to say no without feeling pressured into it? If someone does art for free, should you do it too? Benefits from doing free art for people?
The discussion was brought up in anothers art thread, so to take any more hate out of their thread, the topic has been posted here. Feel free to discuss how you like.

In my opinion artists should never have to do requests if they dont wish to, and should NEVER feel pressured into doing them.

Really? Really?

Then clarify that small comment here so I can understand what you meant fully.

I've done that in the other thread. If you continue to be stubbornly delusional i'm just wasting my time. If it's not for apologizing to me don't bother calling me back. Until then, have fun with your circlejerking thread.

Yes, Teos, because personal attacks really make you seem like you have a valid point. :\

Let your logic speak for you. Leave your chronic rudeness out of this.

I made my point elsewhere. That was just a warning.

I've done that in the other thread. If you continue to be stubbornly delusional i'm just wasting my time. If it's not for apologizing to me don't bother calling me back. Until then, have fun with your circlejerking thread.

I made my point elsewhere. That was just a warning.

Your threat has been logged.

Artists don't have to do requests, but requests should not always be looked down upon ether, its a good way to practice, an if the artist in question is having a art block it's a good way break free. Some people enjoy it. But it seems people are confusing Requests with Commissions: a request is something that is free and the artist should have more power over what goes on with it, where the commissions are more costumer powered due to the fact that you are getting paid to do work, these should not get mixed.

She is simply trying to discuss an issue relevant to artists all other content creators- (musicians, writers, coders, scripters etc etc)

I believe at a certain point in an artists career it can be beneficial to do free artwork for the sake of good word of mouth, free exposure, basically free advertising- it helps hone your skills and spread your work "out there" at a certain point, an artists skills and exposure are adequate enough to start charging for the work they do, as long as there is an audience receptive to what is being produced. And they feel comfortable selling their work.

Inevitably, there will be those that cannot actually make the art themselves, and will question the motives of those that do decide to charge, and throw up the argument that i will summarize from the "other" thread: "why should i pay for it when i can get it for free?" To this i have to say, as an artist, or musician, or game maker, whatever it is you do, you have to ignore these people. Haters gonna hate. They are gonna want to complain if they dont get what they want, for free, right now.

The same mentality leads people to download games and music and movies illegally, because they can get it for free! Why should they pay for it? Its a deeper seeded personal issue in those individuals that content creators can do nothing to pacify, save for folding and giving away work for free.

Alot of game companies are moving away from DRM because of the negative backlash against it, and traditional content creators like myself and NicoleArtist can learn something from that. Not that the answer is caving in to the whims of brats, and im not saying "if you cant beat em, join em" BUT in today's digital and social-media ruled world, a little good faith goes along way.  To a point.  When the line is crossed, dont feel bad for charging for art!!

So artists have to balance a razors edge when it comes to content cretiona nd copyright and fair use and creative commons, the list goes on and on. You have to measure your own self worth and gauge that to the interest that is there for your art/music/talent to thrive commercially. Thats how the good self promotion of giving away some art as a good gesture and future investment in your career as an artist.

(NicoleArtist is a valuable part of this usually somewhat dysfunctional community- she contributes alot with her art and humor and pleasant demeanor- I wish there were more like her here at the Dont Starve forums! )

:-)

Artists don't have to do requests, but requests should not always be looked down upon ether, its a good way to practice, an if the artist in question is having a art block it's a good way break free. Some people enjoy it. But it seems people are confusing Requests with Commissions: a request is something that is free and the artist should have more power over what goes on with it, where the commissions are more costumer powered due to the fact that you are getting paid to do work, these should not get mixed.

I can agree with this fully. I see no wrong in requests (just when people think that they should get art handouts)

Requests are suggestions, or should be, not demands, and can be a great way for an artist to increase their skill and learning if they so wish, depending on the request. (Ive learned a boatload from requests in the past)

Archived