Hound Discussion

What are your thoughts and ideas on the new hounds for the next update, big scary hurty dogs, that will eat your face, or like hell-hounds....just post what you think they're gonna be like here. Personally im thinking like huge hard-to-kill beasts that look really epic, with tattered fur...

I feel like because it says hounds plural we'll see several feral little dogs with maybe the fire hounds being a bit larger. For it to feel like a real pack attacking you there are going to have to be quite a few coming in, maybe down the road we'll get a second wave of the attack when a huge boss hound comes out.

the artstyle of this game so far is just amazing, characters and npc's just look awesome, so I tend to agree, the houds will look really really great, no idea how it will turn out in the end, but I am sure I will like it.

I like the aspect of "announcing their presence, so prepare to fight or die", sounds cool, giving you a moment to prepare yourself for battle sounds like the fights against them will indeed be a challange. I am very curious about the new update, a lot of stuff will change for the game when this comes out.

I am very curious about the new update, a lot of stuff will change for the game when this comes out.

They seem to be specifically focusing on more combat related items and whatnot, it's very exciting to think that a new evolution of the game is coming.

I thought the warning would be a howl, your tending your fire and then you suddenly here a pack of hounds baying.

yepp, that's how I imagine it aswell. one or two days ahead are much too long, you hear the howl, got a little time to grap your spear, and here they come!

I feel like this is an opportunity for us to see Maxwell again, the first time you hear the howl he pops up and informs you of the situation. The howl would be best to have happen at night, maybe for those who are either hearing impaired or whatever there could be a visual icon, a moon shows up in the clock. Then by the second half of the day after the hounds converge on the player so randomization from time of the howl to when we see the hounds would be nice, adding suspense and anticipation to the mix.

Say you've got the gear to build a logsuit at a base but you were at an outpost at night, do you hustle back to base to get the stuff or just try to round up the goods in the wilderness? Maybe you're near a pig hut but only have your backpack on with no spear you have a log suit stashed in a chest, do you go recruit help then go get your gear, or vice versa. Just the possible tension from a few scenarios is giving me goosebumps.

I feel like they won't be that much different than the monsters we already have in regards to actually fighting them. Just deploy the hit-and-run tactic and you'll only be hit once in a while when you mess up. The real difference is they might actually do more damage and take more hits than the typical spider. Also, they could also pose more danger because they might be able to come out at Daytime and mess plans up. It might be worthwhile to actually craft an earlier Logsuit now just in case.

I have terrible visions of my camp set ablaze by the hound.

The world burning around me as a vision of hell.

The other hounds at the edges of my vision howling and baying waiting for me to flee the fire and into their merciless grip.

And rended asunder my cruel world ripped away to the icy touch of death...

I have terrible visions of my camp set ablaze by the hound.

The world burning around me as a vision of hell.

The other hounds at the edges of my vision howling and baying waiting for me to flee the fire and into their merciless grip.

And rended asunder my cruel world ripped away to the icy touch of death...

I... I need an adult!

I can't wait to see the burning hellhound coming towards me in the middle of the night, leaving a trail of fire as it chases me.

I needed a pet anyway, I was getting bored of burning stuff on my own; and setting spiders on fire just doesn't cut it anymore.

With the artistic style of the game, I can only imagine two types of hounds--little cute caricatures of pups like in Frankenweiner, or burly, bristly, muscle-corded beefcakes similar to the werepigs. The word hound, by definition, is a dog that aids in the hunt/hunts others, so I'm thinking more to the latter.

Hmmm. I think the wild hounds and the fire hound will be seperated. The wild hounds are likely to attack in a pack, and since they mentioned before forewarned by a howel I assume the are not spawned in the world from the beginning, but rather at random. If they spawn during the day it might be so bad, depending on how much time you have from when they howl to when they appear. If it happens at night your options are probably more limited as you would either need the miners helmet or be willing to run around your camp fighting multiple opponents while still tending a fire, and from my past experience that was troublesome enough before the recent fire duration update.

On the fire hound, if only one appears then I think this one might spawn when the map is created. If the hound only causes fire when attacking it could spawn anywhere, but if it's like a "torch", setting anything it passes on fire, then it would likely spawn only on a rocky island to reduce the overall impact its fire causes.

All I know is that prior to the next update I'll be sure to move to a temporary camp site away from all my goodies. I have one camp which I called "Crossroads Camp" because it sits at the center of a 4-way bridge crossing. I'll just need to keep an emergency pumpkin lantern on hand along with my tentacle spikey stick.

As to whether the dogs can be tamed... it's certainly an interesting idea. Of course if they spawn/attack I could see this as being hard to pull off. If they spawn on the map and stay there... then maybe it would give us a chance to approach them and tame them outside of an attack. Of course I wouldn't want anything as simple as the wolf-training in Minecraft. I have too many pet wolves... it's just too easy the way they handled it.

On a side note, again if the hounds are tameable at some stage, I would like a system similar to the one used in Haunting Ground. In the game your dog listened to you, but also misbehaved. You had to scold it when he misbehaved to reduce the reappearance of these types of actions. On the flip side if the dog behaved and did what you asked you were supposed to praise him and even give him treats (to speed up training). Just a thought.

I actually hope that the fire hound will be like the hound of Baskerville. It will appear at a distance and sometimes attack you, but at other times it will simply observe you and go away if you try to approach it. Not every threat should be a simple it kills you or you kill it imo.

I know a good way to keep them out make a tree fence then surround your self in spider nest out side of the tree fence of course, not only do you have protection but if you have crock pot you have and endless supply of meat stew. actually I might do that right now.