Why upgrade chests?

I just don't think it's a good idea. Tall chests look stupid, you will have to draw them for every chest skin ever, and the whole idea of storage progression is just dumb, considering that since day 1 everyone already has access to infinite chest with infinite slots (also known as the floor). You're basically trying to give a late game solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place (garbage all over the base). 

Can't you just scrap this idea and buff chests straight up instead? I'm not megabaser but I still wish my house didn't look like dumpster. Preferably since day 1 and not after I beat some oversized pig twice or something. 

• Like 5
  • Wavey 2
  • Shopcat 1

I mean it's already in beta, so this obviously isn't getting scrapped 

If you feel an earlier solution Is necessary, which is completely reasonable 

Than having an intermediate upgrade (ie max stacks of 99) would be welcomed 

I don't see klei making that kind of change if I'm being honest though 

Edited by Kwaik

Opinions on their look is subjective.  I'm not sold on them, but it is an easy way to differentiate them.  I doubt it creates significant overhead since the skins are just made taller.  Commonly used items, especially backpacks and chests need a LOT of skins b/c they are used not just for beautification but also to visualize organization.  I always associate certain skins with certain resources as I build chests.

Making them a new item would lose all existing skins, so I like the avenue of upgrading chests and modifying skins to suit.  Piggypack and scaled chest don't have NEARLY enough skins for how much I'd like to use them.

The main issue at hand imo is performance / lag.  Sure you can dump everything on the floor, and you can build a lot of chests, but the sheer amount of BS plant materials, hounds teeth, glass shards, etc that stack up is just insane over time.  More then "we need OP storage" is "we need storage relative to the amount of materials cached."  Once you have multiple chests full of a certain resource it gets a bit ridiculous, especially with the low stack sizes of some things like broken shells, cut stone, and such.

• Like 12
  • Big Ups 1

36 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

considering that since day 1 everyone already has access to infinite chest with infinite slots (also known as the floor).

While this is true, it also contributes heavily toward server lag. The infinite chest should hopefully address this issue for certain players.
Additionally this is a Late Game upgrade (I think) so it won't really matter unless you go out of your way for it.

• Like 7

Something quick to note is that while the chest looking taller is goofy, there's a good chance that mini signs (which I hope people are using for these chests...) will likely be able to be placed without blocking like 95% of the chest's sprite. I think it could look nice if it does show the top part of the chest well in addition to the sign, I suppose.

• Like 16
  • Sanity 6
  • Big Ups 1

To be honest, it baffles me that so many people get so worked up over an optional long asked-for solution for late-game item lag.
Personally I like the space limitations of chests themselves throughout the game, as well as finally having a powerful late-game solution for item storage. (There's no upgrade to chests aside the much larger sprite, minimally larger space dfly chest, or just cluttering the ground.)

If I don't like the look of those chests, but wanna make use of them, I'll just designate a "deep storage area" for mass storage out of the view.
If I don't like the chests alltogether, I can just not use them.
If your group hates having a lag reducing solution on your server you can just get a mod (I'm sure there will be one) to disable those upgrades.

And if someone, unrelated to you, probably playing on a different server, or just singleplayer, looking forward to reduce lag on their long term world, let them have their fun.

• Like 11
  • Big Ups 1

6 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

You're basically trying to give a late game solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place (garbage all over the base).

Upgraded chests are the solution to a lag that occurs when you have 40 stacks of shift-dropped items. And to avoid biome-sized storages that only continue to get bigger as the game gets more items added into it.

The one thing I'll say is that tall chests look goofy and make no sense. Imo Klei should've added Rift-themed chest, which then would at least explain why they are able to contain so much stuff, having a pocket dimension inside them or something like that. Even if the upgraded chests require post-rift materials, it still looks goofy to just have a wooden chest with 999+ items inside.

Imo Klei should add new rift-chests and just make it so that regular chest skins apply to them as well, kinda like Wigfrid's skins applying to her skilltree items

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 2

6 hours ago, Evelo said:

While this is true, it also contributes heavily toward server lag. The infinite chest should hopefully address this issue for certain players.
Additionally this is a Late Game upgrade (I think) so it won't really matter unless you go out of your way for it.

I feel like people misunderstood my point. If infinite storage was a survival related I'd understand why it would be a late game upgrade as a reward of sorts. But it's not. Infinite storage is available since day 1 and all tall chests do is get rid of the mess and lag. So then why offer a solution to such ridiculous issues as a reward instead of fixing them directly with chests buffs available right away?

It's like... if you want caves to load faster first defeat celestial champion to unlock cave entrance loading upgrade. And yeah, before anyone mentions this you don't need to have 100000000 days to require bigger stacks. On day 5 I have enough logs as certain characters go fill up 2 chests. 

I just don't get why fix basic game issues but only for late game worlds. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I feel like people misunderstood my point. If infinite storage was a survival related I'd understand why it would be a late game upgrade as a reward of sorts. But it's not. Infinite storage is available since day 1 and all tall chests do is get rid of the mess and lag. So then why offer a solution to such ridiculous issues as a reward instead of fixing them directly with chests buffs available right away?

It's like... if you want caves to load faster first defeat celestial champion to unlock cave entrance loading upgrade. And yeah, before anyone mentions this you don't need to have 100000000 days to require bigger stacks. On day 5 I have enough logs as certain characters go fill up 2 chests. 

I just don't get why fix basic game issues but only for late game worlds. 

Well the thing is that having everything stored on the floor (besides being unorganized) brings a lot of risks with it, like certain creatures stealing items and items being much more susceptible to being destroyed one way or another. Chests mitigate a lot of this risk, so I'd say there's a bit more to it than just how much you can cram in a chest vs how much you can put on the floor.
Also a backpack slot or something of that sort is demonized for no reason in my opinion and could legitimately help a lot of the lesser used equipment shine like they deserve.
I get your complaint though, I feel inventory* and storage progression as a whole in this game to be rather wonkily designed, or almost non existent and I wish we'd have a few more options to access BEFORE the rift content. However, I don't think that just buffing chests instead of the Giraffe Chest™ upgrade would be the best way to handle it.

Edited by Nettalie
  • Like 2
  • Shopcat 1

I personally don't like chest upgrades. I find it very silly and it's why I want more vax production/crafting increase for the sake of increasing more things to vax as decor and use. While, okay fine. It's nice to have infinite storage capacity per slot, it seems a little scary for what'll happen when someone hammers one of those chests or even a boss mob to destroy it - it'll cause a lot of lag and time to clean unless it were to drop items in one very compact stacks you'd have to pick up. While bundles are a slight hassle they've always been a decent solution to much of storage problems lategame in general.

I do think there should be some kinda mid-tier or not too late-game type of upgrade and I agree on that for making storage less painful to do. Also agreed on them look fairly stupid by just being much taller. I could get used to it, but I'd prefer maybe some kind of glossier look for the chest and some like magic effects like how Maxwell's tophat has for it's storage.

Thirdly, I am a megabaser and I could tell you that I'd prefer scaled chests to have that upgrade just cause of higher slots and scaled chests in general look much better for that sake. The height increase might look too goofy, looking like what a trashcan would preferably look than actual storage. Make it simpler but prettier, like it's enchanted or something as I mentioned. Scaled chests in general look fantastic so they'd become much more wanted for use. Normal chests might be neglected at that point but I wouldn't mind them just having item slot increase than anything. Maybe make scaled chests infinite and more later game, and normal chests just as mid-tier upgrade for some size increase?

I can't tell any issue from this, it's a QoL for a preferred need I definitively had for quite an array of items. Basic Chests, Scaled Chests, BIG Chests, each will have their uses and affordability. They're gonna be fine even if you don't need them.

• Like 3

I love the taller chests, their design is so silly and fun, and they have an actually useful and practical purpose. I’m personally hoping we’ll get more chest upgrades in the future that turn them into skyscrapers, like that one episode of SpongeBob.

74C0EDBC-A7C4-4BCB-8F89-DA5F3F1D5398.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Spooky 1

4 hours ago, Nettalie said:

Well the thing is that having everything stored on the floor (besides being unorganized) brings a lot of risks with it, like certain creatures stealing items and items being much more susceptible to being destroyed one way or another. Chests mitigate a lot of this risk, so I'd say there's a bit more to it than just how much you can cram in a chest vs how much you can put on the floor.
Also a backpack slot or something of that sort is demonized for no reason in my opinion and could legitimately help a lot of the lesser used equipment shine like they deserve.
I get your complaint though, I feel inventory* and storage progression as a whole in this game to be rather wonkily designed, or almost non existent and I wish we'd have a few more options to access BEFORE the rift content. However, I don't think that just buffing chests instead of the Giraffe Chest™ upgrade would be the best way to handle it.

There is no risk. In my new world it's currently day 80 and I haven't made a single chest yet. The items that shouldn't be left on the floor are so rare I just made 1 backpack and put them all there. 

i still wish that the scaled chest was the one with the stack upgrate thingy...like at least that would people probably think of actualy using the scaled chest....and gives the dragon year.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

i still wish that the scaled chest was the one with the stack upgrate thingy...like at least that would people probably think of actualy using the scaled chest....and gives the dragon year.....

It's not even out on beta yet but you are very right. If this only applies to normal chests then s-chests are nerfed to oblivion. Also if i remember correctly on stream they said the upgrade will only work on normal chests. So does that mean they don't have plans to change it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

It's not even out on beta yet but you are very right. If this only applies to normal chests then s-chests are nerfed to oblivion. Also if i remember correctly on stream they said the upgrade will only work on normal chests. So does that mean they don't have plans to change it?

klei has FORGOTEN about scaled chests

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

There is no risk. In my new world it's currently day 80 and I haven't made a single chest yet. The items that shouldn't be left on the floor are so rare I just made 1 backpack and put them all there. 

See it's cool and all you don't need chests that badly with the way you play, and that you haven't run into any issues at all, but does that alone mean there is literally no risk whatsoever? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's the world's hardest task to keep items safe, hell I don't build many chests to store everything myself for sometimes hundreds of days.

What I am saying however is that for one, there very much are things in the game that you want to keep from messing with your stuff, and that for another I am agreeing with you that there really should be more things that help with storage, OUTSIDE of the chest upgrade. Storage is honestly a way bigger pain that it really needs to be and I'm not arguing against that, I just think its a bit disingenuous to say that chests have nothing at all to do with survival and that everything being put on the floor does the same as a bottomless chest.

Then again this is a forum of players who played the game for often thousands of hours, so I guess in that context it'd make sense to assume it's a non-issue.

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1

7 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

it seems a little scary for what'll happen when someone hammers one of those chests or even a boss mob to destroy it - it'll cause a lot of lag and time to clean unless it were to drop items in one very compact stacks you'd have to pick up.

I don't really understand this concern. Like, let's say I have a bunch of items in an infi-chest. Sure, when I break said chest, there will be a ton of lag. But the alternative is to either leave all the items in a stack on the floor, or in multiple individual chests (in which case the items are all still loaded supposedly), which would cause the same amount or maybe even more lag than the infi-chest-doomsday scenario.

Edited by EATZYOWAFFLEZ
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

I don't really understand this concern. Like, let's say I have a bunch of items in an infi-chest. Sure, when I break said chest, there will be a ton of lag. But the alternative is to either leave all the items in a stack on the floor, or in multiple individual chests (in which case the items are all still loaded supposedly), which would cause the same amount or maybe even more lag than the infi-chest-doomsday scenario.

Not understanding it must mean you never experienced it. Entities cause a lot of performance issues, performance issues. There's a lot of troll power in that or even a massive pain to clean that noone wants. If people are too damn lazy to gather resources, imagine some dumb player trying to be haha funny and bonk a billion log stack chest -w- noone would wanna clean that and noone would want to do any gathering in general. I'm a gathered player and I try to be mindful of messes I leave to clean them well.

18 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I just don't think it's a good idea. Tall chests look stupid, you will have to draw them for every chest skin ever, and the whole idea of storage progression is just dumb, considering that since day 1 everyone already has access to infinite chest with infinite slots (also known as the floor). You're basically trying to give a late game solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place (garbage all over the base). 

Can't you just scrap this idea and buff chests straight up instead? I'm not megabaser but I still wish my house didn't look like dumpster. Preferably since day 1 and not after I beat some oversized pig twice or something. 

I mean it's rather for those in endgame and it's personal choice wherever you use upgraded or you keep the OG one

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I feel like people misunderstood my point.

Yeah when I re-read the thread later, and my response to it I felt I probably misunderstood your intent.

There have been a few threads about these, talking about how crazy OP they are, how theme breaking they are, etc.  It causes a bit of background thought that obviously got impressed on the thread here.  Sorry about that.

I'm pretty sure the #1 reason for this is to give late late game players a way to reduce lag first, and improve organization second.  In other words I don't think the power / scaling of storage was really a concern as much as it was "lets just solve this late late issue."  They did mention specifically working at late late game / megabase optimization in this set and this is probably taken from that line of thought.

Maybe a good suggestion would be to have scaled chests store 99 in each slot regardless of item natural stack size.  Scaled chests are available earlier, but their advantages aren't quite so pronounced.  They give more slots and are fireproof, and don't technically have a larger foot print, but its harder to manage them built as compact as normal chests.  My primary reason for using them is to have an even number of slots for Wanda so I can match the backtrec with an item to denote its target.  IF they could hold more per slot than standard stack size I think I'd use them a bit more.  A 99 cap wouldn't violate the advantages of the tall chest upgrade, but still provide another option.  Scaled chests also feel a bit left out of this update since they are the "better" chest, but lose the spot once this upgrade becomes unlocked...

Also - I'd like to ask Klei to please make a few more scaled chest and piggy pack skins pls pls <3 

• Like 3