The game is turning into a mess. All what was once built is now being destroyed. We don't know what Klei's intention, mission and philosophy is anymore.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

So it removes tedium.

the other stuff you mention only applies if you were to randomly chop down trees to farm mass amounts of wood (no one who needs infinite storage would do this)

and tree OR poison guards.

not both, one or another, presumably tree guards because pine cones are a year round thing.

and lets be honest, you can tank tree guards with a football helmet and a basic spear, they’re not so much a “credible threat” as they are “free living logs”

especially since if you’re mass collecting wood you’re likely either using pigs or a giant, both of which would handle any tree guards for you easily. Or you could always lead them away and plant a couple pinecones.

i mean so far your only (valid) point is tree guards, and to that i say: we’re talking about mid to late game, tree guards arent a threat when they walk at the speed of a grandmother without her walker.

You’ll need wood for a variety of reasons, building bee boxes, building boats, building boat structures, building boat patches.

The existence of this chest that now will highly eliminate the competition of needing to decide if you want to spend your wood/planks on making more chests- Or building something just feels off.

Using Bearger as a Lumberjack is always a valid option to obtain wood, but… having a chest that stores ALOT also removes some of the reason you’d otherwise be gathering wood for.

It allows the Wurt players to invest less in chests, and more in Merm Army as just one example.

And as far as the “I’ll just leave it on the ground” crowd goes- sure I guess you COULD do that, as long as it doesn’t burn in wildfires or get stollen by Moleworms/pirate monkeys/or whatever else.

Depending how “Late Game” it is Isn’t even going to matter, because most players on these forums, can speed run the late game by day 30 anyway.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:
Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Wavey 1
  • Potato Cup 1

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

as long as it doesn’t burn in wildfire

chests also can burn because of wildfires and there are many items that don't burn

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

get stollen by Moleworms

why would you put them near your base? They don't spawn around it on their own

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

pirate monkeys

since when do they spawn on land?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

And as far as the “I’ll just leave it on the ground” crowd goes- sure I guess you COULD do that, as long as it doesn’t burn in wildfires or get stollen by Moleworms/pirate monkeys/or whatever else.

Flingomatics, clear out any moleworms or catcoons near your base, and players either sail with just a boat and oars or full on mast and all equipment, chest inculded

really, ground op

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mykenception said:

Flingomatics, clear out any moleworms or catcoons near your base, and players either sail with just a boat and oars or full on mast and all equipment, chest inculded

really, ground op

How about being blown away in the strong wind and right off the edge of the map never to be seen again in hamlet then?

My point: DST is literally baby-sitting us compared to Solo DS. With the only real challenges coming from optional raid bosses.

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

On 3/3/2024 at 11:29 AM, Swiyss said:

Modders add infinite chest > eww that doesn't even look like dst anymore. Plus ALL colective 6 years of criticism for these mods.

Klei adds infinite chest > slay queen, yeah good job. Amazing wow! Woo-ooooo Yippie hippie yay yo mayonaise.

mod that exist rn is either having tons of slot that when u open the storage basically it cover half of ur screen, which is uglee for my liking and the stack increase is too OP cus you can carry 999 stack of item even in body or backpack slot.

im actually happy on how they do this, it might stack to infinity, but u can only pick and carry like usual doesnt mean u can take whole 999 stack in ur pack.
its basically to reducing lag by not needing to make100 chest just to store turf.

i also agree the way this thread is presented and the way you replied is so toxic. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How about being blown away in the strong wind and right off the edge of the map never to be seen again in hamlet then?

My point: DST is literally baby-sitting us compared to Solo DS. With the only real challenges coming from optional raid bosses.

what

how'd you jump from DST to DS?

we're talking about how the new chest is making the game easier (is your original point) its not even present in DS

why'd you jump to a different game just to prove your point thats basically a reach?

please stick to a one point at a time before jumping to god knows where

Edited by mykenception

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Hamlet literally gave you the ultimate solution to every environmental effect: the shanty shanty. No rain, no darkness and no wind.

Also winds doesn't blow stuff off edges anymore on PC, a shame that DiogoW messed it up

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

10 minutes ago, grm9 said:

since when do they spawn on land?

Pirate monkeys don’t spawn on land, but they WILL follow you back to land, if you hear them coming and flee towards land.. also they will steal the things you store in your storage chests that are on the edge of the shore if they DO follow you back to land (I found that out the hard way lol, I thought id be clever and store everything I wanted to keep in a storage chest at the edge of the main land then just take an empty boat and oar out to moon quay, but the little furry nuisances followed me back to main land and then proceeded to steal the stuff I THOUGHT would be safe..)

You guys act like I don’t play this game at all but that’s objectively false, I just don’t play the parts YOU want me to ;) 

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Pirate monkeys don’t spawn on land, but they WILL follow you back to land, if you hear them coming and flee towards land.. also they will steal the things you store in your storage chests that are on the edge of the shore if they DO follow you back to land (I found that out the hard way lol, I thought id be clever and store everything I wanted to keep in a storage chest at the edge of the main land then just take an empty boat and oar out to moon quay, but the little furry nuisances followed me back to main land and then proceeded to steal the stuff I THOUGHT would be safe..)

soooo, uhhh

don't do that?

I think you already figured this solution out after that encounter, yes?

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You guys act like I don’t play this game at all but that’s objectively false, I just don’t play the parts YOU want me to

is one of the main reasons why we don't take your word objectively, since you don't engage in all the content the game provides so we don't know if what you're talking is actually based on first hand experience 

Edited by mykenception

All this talk of wood, and I can’t help thinking of the can’t see the forest for the trees idiom, the idea that we’re dealing with surpluses and thriving seems lost … these are animal crossing and Stardew valley problems … to talk about uncompromising survival, and you should be talking about things that actually effect survival, the HP meter, or one of the other meters.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

All this talk of wood, and I can’t help thinking of the can’t see the forest for the trees idiom, the idea that we’re dealing with surpluses and thriving seems lost … these are animal crossing and Stardew valley problems … to talk about uncompromising survival, and you should be talking about things that actually effect survival, the HP meter, or one of the other meters.

sadly this is our reality in the DST forum

how organization and lag optimization is detrimental to the uncompromising survival game :(

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2
  • Potato Cup 1

28 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

mod that exist rn is either having tons of slot that when u open the storage basically it cover half of ur screen, which is uglee for my liking and the stack increase is too OP cus you can carry 999 stack of item even in body or backpack slot.

im actually happy on how they do this, it might stack to infinity, but u can only pick and carry like usual doesnt mean u can take whole 999 stack in ur pack.
its basically to reducing lag by not needing to make100 chest just to store turf.

i also agree the way this thread is presented and the way you replied is so toxic. 

Then pinpoint exactly what is toxic.

Back up your argument, don't state things without evidences.

3 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Then pinpoint exactly what is toxic.

Back up your argument, don't state things without evidences.

what? I'm lost

they were talking about how the new chest is better than the current mod iterations of storage solutions, how'd that lead to an argument about toxicity?

Edited by mykenception

11 minutes ago, mykenception said:

sadly this is our reality in the DST forum

how organization and lag optimization is detrimental to the uncompromising survival game :(

The thing is, it looks ugyl, and it is a jump too big compared to 40 stacks. That's why I think it is an inconsistency of a feature in itself.

That's why I think it looks like cheating.

Now if we're talking skill trees for example, can anyone give me any explanation as to why things are so easy to unlock (are being made even easier now) and still bump the characters so much without taking in consideration Wilsom for example.

If they did a magical insanity fiery addition to willow, then why not wilson? I don't get it.

They revamped and reworked willow's identity completely without even taking in consideration the fact that they didn't even explained anything, they just added stuff. I don't get this type of inconsistency, and the chest INFINITE slots are part of the problem.

My take is that things should feel balanced, it will never BE, but atleast don't taint the whole window black.

Is it that hard to ask for some good character downsides not being overriten?

Is it too much to ask to simply make the chest store 999? Or even 9999.

The simple FACT that it is infinite is what makes me wonder why, and many will also think like that.

3 minutes ago, mykenception said:

what? I'm lost

they were talking about how the new chest is better than the current mod iterations of storage solutions, how'd that lead to an argument about toxicity?

You blind?

Sure it is better, that's the worst part of it lol.

5 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

You blind?

Sure it is better, that's the worst part of it lol.

so, uhh

how'd it lead to an argument in toxicity again?

8 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

If they did a magical insanity fiery addition to willow, then why not wilson? I don't get it.

why not directly ask the devs that?

we also would like something for wilson but the devs have stated what's they view for him, I think you can go check their latest vod to see why they think so

• Like 1

I mean.. Klei themselves said that their intention is to make the skill trees be unbalanced, but why?

Why what was once simple now is nonsense?

Why what was once not broken, now IS broken, and still they suddenly can't fix it?

I know that.. maybe they wanna avoid this "Uncompromising" idea because of too many radical people. But don't just throw the game out of the bucket. Don't just DISRESPECT the og DS, DST is STILL based on that singleplayer game no matter what, so atleast pay homage to it. Atleast salute what was once something.

Saying "skill trees ARE going to sound a bit out of place - unbalanced", and then "we like the torch skill" "no, we don't have plans on changing Wilson at any time" doesn't make sense when All I heard once was "we won't add anything to wilson, he should feel like the standard character".

Still, that is no argument to atleast REVISIT his tree. Are they assuming that he tree is perfect somehow? Or that they want it exactly like that?

Say they want it like that, then surely they wanted willow like that too. Why rework one character idea, fx, main way of playing, attacks etc.. just because no one plays her OR because she was "underwhelming". Heck, WILSON is underwhelming currently, especially with the addition of Wanda.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy wanda, wortox and wolfgang, and I don't think they should in ANY WAY nerf them. However the reason for that is simple, that is their identity, that is their entire personality. Willow controlled blue flame and weird black wondering charlie esc fire doesn't fit her at all. Better they made her set herself on fire than that thing. But they will never change that, and I agree with them if they don't want to, because it was already made.

Still, my URGENT call is to simply take things more slowly the next time. Because.. if this treatment happens with loved characters like max, wendy or wurt.. we're screwed. And this mistake of mistaking their characters identity should not happen again. 

But I really, really really really want to know why do we have a so called skill tree, where the option is to choose BERNIE or WILLOW, the  SHADOW or LUNAR, but yet it doesn't feel like we're choosing anything, rather we're acting like it. That's a flaw. Furthermore, the addition of unlinked segments of skills just lead me to believe that it looks more like a guaranteed pick rather than a choice. And we discussed this earlier here, options and selection of choices is Very Much important for an amazing gaming experience, even least the illusion of it.

Why not Willow plays alongside her skills and bernie assist? Currently, if you spend everything in yourself, bernie simply won't add anything to you or your fights, rather the simple "taking care of nightmares", he only has stat buffs which is ridiculous, he already could do everything he does in that scenario before even a skill tree was added.

Say we focus on Bernie, now suddenly SHE feels weak as bananas, and the bear represents rather a butler than a fiery angry explosive maniac.

Man, not only thematically, but also balance-wise and gameplay imersion-wise, it a feels.. again, not being toxic or agressive to anyone, but somewhat felt like they didn't care a bit about actual Willow players feedback, and now Wilson.

Oh but we got plans, oh but we gotta move on. Sheesh man, I am kinda sad that they're being so inconsiderate sometimes.

Rather we believe in what Variant- said about we possibly getting skill trees Reworks than faking this is a great refined tree until we make it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I highly doubt an upgraded storage box is going to be a super super super late game item, that literally doesn’t make any sense, even in minecraft you only needed to build two storage boxes and place them beside one another to upgrade their storage size.

But the cost of a single chest was 3 planks, or 12 tree logs- Per chest to store 9 inventory slots worth of items into before needing to gather another 12 more logs and turn those into planks to place another chest.

A infinite storage box removed the tedium and grind of needing to collect wood, refine planks and place down more chests.

Chopping wood can lead to other gameplay elements, such as removing trees someone might have needed to move from tree to tree under to survive joining a random game world mid summer, or spawning Tree & Poison birch guardians.

Now as far as just leaving things on the ground or in extra backpacks all over the world goes- that has nothing at all to do with a chest that’s going to inevitably lead to needing to craft significantly less chests.

Drop stuff in the ground, day 1 infinity storage that requires 0 resources and less space

Nerf ground

• Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

36 minutes ago, mykenception said:

so, uhh

how'd it lead to an argument in toxicity again?

Somehow it hasn't occurred to this person yet that somebody might not have seen this text here that was deliberately small and bright to make it less visible.

1 hour ago, prettynuggets said:

Anyway

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You’ll need wood for a variety of reasons, building bee boxes, building boats, building boat structures, building boat patches.

The existence of this chest that now will highly eliminate the competition of needing to decide if you want to spend your wood/planks on making more chests- Or building something just feels off.

Using Bearger as a Lumberjack is always a valid option to obtain wood, but… having a chest that stores ALOT also removes some of the reason you’d otherwise be gathering wood for.

It allows the Wurt players to invest less in chests, and more in Merm Army as just one example.

Depending how “Late Game” it is Isn’t even going to matter, because most players on these forums, can speed run the late game by day 30 anyway.

I guess if I didn't touch half the content that's been added to this game I'd think chopping 100 more trees in a playthrough or keeping moleworms from grabbing my stuff was a meaningful challenge too.

Storing items you're not actively using is not made a challenge by severely limited capacity containers that are trivial to make. It's just a pain in the ass.

Edited by Faintly Macabre
  • Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Drop stuff in the ground, day 1 infinity storage that requires 0 resources and less space

Nerf ground

Ok sure, because there are not that many threats to items since lureplants can't place eyes in certain terrains, neither can moleworms be a permanent thing, rather easily avoidable, then man.. I agree.

Floor is op lol. I am fine with infinite storage.. it probably will take a long time to get used to it, but still I am fine with it.

My real real concern is about dragonfly chests. What are Klei's plan for them?

2 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Anyway

after all the amount of messages sent in this thread I completely missed it many thanks

a simple direction by the OP could've been nice and easily solved my confusion, after all that talk about miscommunication and what not in the other thread that the OP also made :(

4 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Storing items you're not actively using is not made a challenge by severely limited capacity containers that are trivial to make. It's just a pain in the ass

Klei should add more mobs that punishes you for not using chests currently.

Now, one may argue that by doing that, they are adding a problem and a solution at the same time, making the task useless anyway.

Well... since reing of giants, until TODAY, this discussion SOMEHOW hasn't evolved in any path.

SOMEHOW we still have the same problem in the game.

Klei adds difficulty/task/inconvenience.

Klei adds solutions to these before we can even experience them.

Klei argues that Knowledge is how you acquire the ability to use these solutions.

Then they wonder why people quit the game after being knowledgeable about everything. Of course they will 

And Klei cannot add content as fast as people can learn it.

Why not rethink replay ability? JESUS CHRIST I've been talking about this for 4 FREAKING MONTHS already.

6 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

Ok sure, because there are not that many threats to items since lureplants can't place eyes in certain terrains, neither can moleworms be a permanent thing, rather easily avoidable, then man.. I agree.

Exactly  lel

When i start a new world i usually only build 1 chest or a backpack to keep pig skin or deerclops eyeballs just in case a hound or a batilisk eats them other than that i dont start placing chest and other structures after i have beaten everyboss. Since some people here thinks that gathering grass outside of base is a challenge and complain about defeating balanced bosses like antlion i underatand why they might think that post rift storage upgrades are a op thing even if they wont experience them

• Like 3

Just now, Swiyss said:

Klei should add more mobs that punishes you for not using chests currently.

There are some already, and ways of handling them by removing them, or building chests.

No reason to do much more really.  The infinite chest is largely about late game lag and qol to efficiency in managing so many things.

Its not about solving a survival challenge, and doesn't need to be.  No one needs to craft it, just like no one needs to craft a wooden chair - and no one should need to craft them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mykenception said:

after all the amount of messages sent in this thread I completely missed it many thanks

a simple direction by the OP could've been nice and easily solved my confusion, after all that talk about miscommunication and what not in the other thread that the OP also made :(

You wouldn't thank me if I pointed it out, and I thought that you would see it by then, my bad.

9 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Exactly  lel

When i start a new world i usually only build 1 chest or a backpack to keep pig skin or deerclops eyeballs just in case a hound or a batilisk eats them other than that i dont start placing chest and other structures after i have beaten everyboss. Since some people here thinks that gathering grass outside of base is a challenge and complain about defeating balanced bosses like antlion i underatand why they might think that post rift storage upgrades are a op thing even if they wont experience them

I do the exact same for my worlds, everytime.

That's why the current chests have a problem that should be fixed, and this infinite storage was not the best approach.

Again, again, again for the billionth time, Klei's intention is what matters, and they are doing a great job with their intention focus, amazing actually. But execution lacks.. something. It lacks care for details.

Rather they let US do the work and discuss these than they focusing so much on it. Which is weird I think.

It shouldn't be the case, they have to be more considerate.

7 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

There are some already, and ways of handling them by removing them, or building chests.

No reason to do much more really.  The infinite chest is largely about late game lag and qol to efficiency in managing so many things.

Its not about solving a survival challenge, and doesn't need to be.  No one needs to craft it, just like no one needs to craft a wooden chair - and no one should need to craft them.

Ok but like.. what's your opinion about the rest that I typed?

Like.. replay ability IS still a problem in my view, and this current way to doing things has many flaws, one of them being the existence of chests itself.

The game has so many fixable core issues.

It was a rhetorical argument.

Edited by Swiyss