Oxygen Not Included February 2024 Roadmap

1 hour ago, Caesar Sushi said:

Give 1 example of a studio that supported a game for +9 years like Klei did

Re Logic with Terraria

You do realize they have to make money to pay their employees right?

You do realize that's what the cosmetic packs in DST were for right?

EDIT: And i got excited when they started to experiment with same system in ONI.

But alas they are going Sims 4 route instead.

Lots of content locked behind DLC releases with each dlc that look like it will have fraction of content Spaced Out has (even in its early days) from what they teased.

2 hours ago, Quyzbuk said:

Being angry for the sake of being angry is a serious credibility destroyer unless your goal here is to look as entitled as possible (which is also a TERRIBLE look).

Using ad hominem in a very petty attempt to shut someone up who was just voicing their concerns. Is a serious credibility destroyer and also a TERRIBLE look.

Because of that I won't be responding to you in future.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

But alas they are going Sims 4 route instead. Lots of content locked behind DLC packs with each dlc that looks like it will have fraction of content Spaced Out has from what they teased.

As long as Klei is going on sale out merchandises worth paying for as DLC, it should be.

I had played Vanila ONI over 1500 hours, and I had played Space Out! over 1000 hours. And I paid only about $30 for Klei. I know a pile of greedy game companies that will throw shitty 10 root boxes of "content" for about $30.
I'd rather I pay for the filament as soon as possible.

33 minutes ago, SilverSpoon said:

As long as Klei is going on sale out merchandises worth paying for as DLC, it should be.

I had played Vanila ONI over 1500 hours, and I had played Space Out! over 1000 hours. And I paid only about $30 for Klei. I know a pile of greedy game companies that will throw [redacted] 10 root boxes of "content" for about $30.
I'd rather I pay for the filament as soon as possible.

Lol quoting you got my post hidden i think because of the word (that i now censored in your post)

Let me just copy what i said in case my previous comment won't see the light of day:

"root" boxes

I'm sorry i understand what you said and not ripping the piss out of you for it.

It's just for some reason i found the concept of selling a box full of roots funny :wilson_laugh:

In any case i do hope i'm wrong about this and the DLCs will have content at least somewhat worthy of what Spaced Out has and won't end up as small-ish cash grabs like most studios who adopt this model do. (Especially ones associated with the big bad T)

Cause the content per DLC that they teased so far and risk they might "change their mind" again prevents me from blindly trusting them and their decisions.

Edited by ALCRD

13 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

In any case i do hope i'm wrong about this and the DLCs will have content at least somewhat worthy of what Spaced Out has and won't end up as small-ish cash grabs like most studios who adopt this model do. (Especially ones associated with the big bad T)

Cause the content per DLC that they teased so far and risk they might "change their mind" again prevents me from blindly trusting them and their decisions.

To put it the other way around, you admit that it isn't actually bad right now yet. I think you had better speak up when it really be so.

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

"root" boxes

Thank you for your kind remarks. I am not a native English speaker, so please forgive me.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SilverSpoon said:

To put it the other way around, you admit that it isn't actually bad right now yet. I think you had better speak up when it really be so.

Yes well i was voicing my early concerns regarding what they teased so far about these DLCs and about them going back on their word "changing their mind" regarding the DLC model.

Which not everyone likes to see someone post things like that around these parts but you know that's their problem. Not mine. I won't be shut up. I have all the right to voice my concerns and opinions.

Edited by ALCRD

I agree with the statement above that companies need to earn money to continue anything. That is how the world works.

Are you not happy that Klei is even doing it and that many people, including me, are willing to pay for the DLCs to ensure the continuation of this beautiful game?
What is the alternative? That Klei abandons ONI entirely because it is not profitable anymore? That would be a disaster.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with paid DLCs in combination with free QoL updates that are still coming.

Are you telling me you cannot pay, let's say, 20 dollars a year for two DLCs? You can spend it, and it will not ruin you financially.

So, maybe calm down and be happy that Klei is doing what they are doing. They don't have an obligation to do so, and theoretically, they could abandon the game. I believe the many fans should appreciate their efforts by spending an arguably small amount per year. 

• Like 4

ONI is a fully complete and very good game for a reasonable price. Klei is not obligated to keep adding content and no one would say anything if they just have launched the base game and nothing more. So it doesnt make any sense to complain about dlcs. And besides all that, they didnt promise anything about not releasing dlcs. They have clearly said that they hoped they would manage to keep updating the game without dlcs but it was not guaranteed.

Edited by Victorzhov

3 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Yes well i was voicing my early concerns regarding what they teased so far about these DLCs and about them going back on their word "changing their mind" regarding the DLC model.

Which not everyone likes to see someone post things like that around these parts but you know that's their problem. Not mine. I won't be shut up. I have all the right to voice my concerns and opinions.

Yeah except for the fact that this is NOT what you are doing here, you're assuming the worst, going even into nuclear scenarios and replying to literally everyone who is telling you to calm down. This place you're currently at is called the Internet, you don't have the rights you think you do. If any of the mods and/or devs grow tired of seeing these endless rude/flame posts, they're free to do whatever they feel is appropriate to alleviate the situation. Don't expect to remain unchecked forever.

• Thanks 3

Please remember the Community standards and rules people.

If you can not have a conversation in a polite, productive and calm manner- please move on and do not reply.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, JarrettM said:

Hi everyone, 

It's time for the 2024 roadmap! We've been having lots of conversations behind the scenes, and have some big news to share: 

We're back to work on content-focused DLCs! 

That's great ! Wen do you also add DLC Skins Pack as in DST? :)

11 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Re Logic with Terraria

Terraria is in the top 10 of best selling games of all time and Re logic has a total of 11 employees lol

You have a valid argument when you're criticizing the new update model but you're straight up delusional if you think Klei hasn't done enough to support this game and it's somehow a betrayal

Lastly i think you're taking what they said the wrong way, IMO the way they phrased is that they plan to sell a bunch of cool ideas that take too much effort to put into a free update but don't have enough content for a full DLC, trying to avoid the Paradox problem where you have 15$ DLC that are pretty much mandatory and 15$ DLC that add 3 new portraits and 1 random event

• Like 1

You have a valid argument when you're criticizing the new update model but you're straight up delusional if you think Klei hasn't done enough to support this game and it's somehow a betrayal

I haven't said anything about "betrayal" 

I said they lied about what they said about switching from DLCs to free updates. 

Because they pretty much did. I re read the 3 articles back to back.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, JarrettM said:

Ever since the Spaced Out! DLC launched in December, we’ve been exploring ideas for the next chapter of Oxygen Not Included. Those conversations started out as discussions about DLC2, but as we kept digging, we realized that a distant DLC2 release just wasn’t the right fit for our long-term goals. 

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding! 

And most importantly, accessible to our whole community. 

While a second DLC would certainly expand the game, it’d limit our design choices. We’d have to decide which features base game players would have access to—and which ones they’d be left out of. 

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game. That sounds about as appealing as an all-mushbar buffet. 

We want you all along for the ride! So we’re shifting our focus to building out a lot of the same content and systems you’d expect from a DLC, and releasing them regularly as free game updates that work for both base game and Spaced Out! 

No colony left behind. 

What’s next?
We’re working on a roadmap to let you know what to expect as we explore this exciting new chapter of ONI—we’ll post that here as soon as it’s ready. 

Summary
We’re expanding the ONI universe through ongoing updates rather than a DLC2! These free, regularly scheduled updates will be designed for both the base game and the Spaced Out! DLC. Roadmap coming soon.

Our heartfelt thanks, as ever, to this incredible community! We’re overjoyed to be able to share our little corner of the cosmos with you. 

So lets recap this one here they stated DLCs would limit their design choices , more DLCs = harder to implement fixes and balance changes viable for everyone across verions.

They stated they want everyone to all along fore the ride so. So regular content is what they want to stick with.

Now fast foward to the 2022 roadmap:

They re confirm that they are sticking to the free content updates model:

On 10/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, JarrettM said:

Hey friends, 

As we mentioned recently, we’re shifting our focus to releasing ongoing updates instead of a DLC2. You can read more about that here.

And teased some things for future updates:

On 10/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, JarrettM said:

Bigger things like new starting biomes, richer world gen options, and even new sim systems are on the horizon too, but these take longer to develop, so no short-term promises.

Another long-term goal we’re working on is a cosmetic skins system. Our skins system will be modeled on what’s worked for Don’t Starve Together, so anyone who’s ever played DST will feel right at home. We’re starting with some new decor, buildings, clothing and then will gather feedback and see what else you’d like skinned. It may be a little odd to add cosmetic skins to a single-player game, but we’re hoping this’ll let us keep making free content updates for everybody rather than DLC.

Again re-confirming the free content update model.

Now fast foward now. 

A complete 180 to all that , Now suddenly DLCs were always the best thing for ONI contradicting what they said earlier and new biomes and stuff will be paid DLC only now.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, JarrettM said:

Hi everyone, 

It's time for the 2024 roadmap! We've been having lots of conversations behind the scenes, and have some big news to share: 

We're back to work on content-focused DLCs! 

There are tons of great things we want to add to the ONI universe, and they're getting too big to squeeze into free updates. 

Wait, What? 

When we were originally considering making more DLCs back in early 2022, we had just come off a three-year-long haul on Spaced Out!, and our ideas for future DLCs were all on a similar scale. Trying to make them work for both the base game and Spaced Out! was daunting. 

But over the past year, DLC ideas just kept coming—many of them focused on content that would be a more natural fit with the base game, Spaced Out! DLC, and each other. 

So after a year of smaller free updates, we're switching back to paid DLCs that'll allow us to take our derpy little colonists into wild new uncharted corners of time and space.  

Our plans for these modular DLCs center around new asteroids packed with new biomes, critters, plants, buildings, elements, lore and blueprints (aka cosmetic skins).  

At some point, we may make systems changes. If that happens, those changes will likely be added (for free) to any existing versions of the game that you may own. 

If you think that wasn't disngenous even a bit and i have no right to question this or voice my concern regarding scale and frequency of these DLCs

Then i see no point in talking to you lot cause this is getting out of control.

I'm done wasting time explaining myself to you all just cause you get immensely triggered and foaming at the mouth cause I DARED to question your holy beloved Klei that never does anything wrong and should be worshipped for every single thing they do.

That's right , this fanbase is like a god damn cult.

No one can say anything remotely critical without getting ganged on and from every direction and called "elitist" and "dellusional" and met with snark and toxicity to the point of OP breaking and becoming hostile aswell. I see now. It's the same here as it's the same on DST branch of Klei forums.

Oh yes I did noticed this kind of behavior on DST forum aswell for quite a while now and since it was not aimed at me i brushed it off. How ironic.

It's also hilarious that even some of forumites from Klei forums where writing blatant insults to me on the ONI Steam announcement page where i posted same kind of post. To the point where several of these toxic replies from these familiar names got removed.

Cult of the Klei

Edited by ALCRD

28 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I haven't said anything about "betrayal" 

I said they lied about what they said about switching from DLCs to free updates. 

Because they pretty much did. I re read the 3 articles back to back.

They changed their mind about the future direction of ONI development. Twice, over a period of several years. Calling their initial announcement a lie implies that they knew then that they would go back to paid DLC eventually. Do you see any indication of that? I don't; many ohers likely didn't either. That is what triggered the initial response to you. Unfortunately, you doubled down, several times.

People are not responding to the abstract content of your posts. They are responding to the tone. I don't know you, I have no idea what you're going through, how old you are, etc., all I have is what you wrote here. Judging from that, you come across as spoiled, entitled, and borderline paranoid. If you want to have people take you seriously, you will have to work on that.

Take a deep breath, step back from this whole debacle, look at it again in a month or so. You might learn something. Good luck!

Edited by pnambic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:39 AM, JarrettM said:

image.png

What are some ways they can distinguish this new "frosty" asteroid from Rime?

On 2/29/2024 at 11:39 AM, JarrettM said:

image.png

I'm undoubtedly setting myself up for disappointment, but taking this picture to be a hint that diseases will either be expanded upon or overhauled in one of the DLCs.

3 hours ago, pnambic said:

People are not responding to the abstract content of your posts. They are responding to the tone. I don't know you, I have no idea what you're going through, how old you are, etc., all I have is what you wrote here. Judging from that, you come across as spoiled, entitled, and borderline paranoid. If you want to have people take you seriously, you will have to work on that.

Take a deep breath, step back from this whole debacle, look at it again in a month or so. You might learn something. Good luck!

Awesome! That's a perfect excuse for being toxic to someone and resort to namecalling for it.. /s

You are absolutely delusional and wasting your time if you really think i will take back what i said about this announcement.

That i will change my tune regarding my concerns and opinions just because the forum mob couldn't handle it and decided to spew their venom at me for questioning Klei's decisions.

That's my opinion on the matter and i'm sticking to that despite your name calling and your absolutely pathetic attempt to play a armchair psychiatrist.

Like seriously? You expected me to remain polite after all that? Ain't going to happen. You can't so easily gaslight me.

Honestly i don't care if i get a warning or ban now i'd gladly burn this bridge since this is how you all act towards someone who doesn't blindly worship Klei and doesn't agree with their every single decision no matter what. 

Then i couldn't give a rats a** about if you "people" take me seriously or not.

Good luck with your cult!

Edited by ALCRD

41 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Awesome! That's a perfect excuse for being toxic to someone and resort to namecalling for it.. /s

You are absolutely delusional and wasting your time if you really think i will take back what i said about this announcement.

That i will change my tune regarding my concerns and opinions just because the forum mob couldn't handle it and decided to spew their venom at me for questioning Klei's decisions.

That's my opinion on the matter and i'm sticking to that despite your name calling and your absolutely pathetic attempt to play a armchair psychiatrist.

Like seriously? You expected me to remain polite after all that? Ain't going to happen. You can't so easily gaslight me.

Honestly i don't care if i get a warning or ban now i'd gladly burn this bridge since this is how you all act towards someone who doesn't blindly worship Klei and doesn't agree with their every single decision no matter what. 

I’ll happily buy you a copy of the DLCs when they release, just sayin. Let me know!

That's a perfect excuse for being toxic to someone and resort to namecalling for it.. /s

You are absolutely delusional

I assume you don't see the irony here.

I hope this means that you'll stop your tantrum and leave the thread, which I think everyone would appreciate.

Anyway.

Going back to paid DLCs is a great idea. I want this game to continue receiving improvements, and I want the developers to be paid for their work.

Edited by esran
  • Like 7

Waaaah, a ROADMAP!  [ ... falls off chair ... ]  I am so shocked!  Pleasantly, of course, all pleasantly!

That said, it was always clear to me that any major expansion of the game would be a DLC. I just did not expect any major expansion for ONI at all anymore at this time. For me, "back to DLC" is most welcome news!

And since some people seem to be unable to get over themselves, here is a reminder how to block somebody: Hover the mouse over their picture in a post and after a few seconds you get a window with an "Ignore" option. 

Edited by Gurgel
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Cult of the Klei

Ok lets get to the bottom of that. You provided examples i was about to dig out but was too lazy recently. So they did say they didn`t like to announce a second dlc that comes in a few years but decided to focus on expanding the existing stuff. They confirmed more content was coming but in the short term there will be a skin system and QoL + fixes. One can extrapolate that this means no more paid dlc. That`s fair. Yet never did they promise us no dlc.

Now the new roadmap makes it look like they just took a break from dlc development to push out free content and a second dlc was always the plan. So is this gaslighting us to believe they never decided agains dlc or is this just a case of miscommunication?

Ultimately game studios shouldn`t reduce their creative options. If they said they aren`t planning dlc in 2022 does it mean they can`t backtrack on that 1.5 years later? It`s their game after all. And it`s not like they are going to ruin the game we got now. Actually future dlcs will be optional and shouldn`t affect our current version.

Maybe it was this sort of logic. They are doing the dlc so they won`t ruin the current game with new content that disrupts the current resource economy and invalidates builds in the vanilla nad SO versions.

The bad news is that we won`t get as much content for the current version of the game and likely less skins. Still we will get QoL and bugfixes. Maybe some compatibile content will get added to all versions. We will have to wait and see how it will go. IMO it`s still too early to panic.

I'm all in for paid DLCs, seriously we didn't deserve so many free upgrades as we had... HOWEVER what did get me worried was that little bit about DLCs being smaller and shipped more frequently.

I love this game, and Spaced Out did a tremendous job twisting everything around but I can't say I got excited by "woah a new chilly starting asteroid!".

The way the post was worded made it seem like we are never going to see another big DLC again, which, as a sincere fan, I think is a huge mistake.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm ok with paid content DLCs but please don't stop shipping medium/big sized DLCs as well. I know the team has limited resources to work with, the game itself is a very complex beast already but please don't focus solely on small sized DLCs.

Take The Sims 3 for instance, they released both "expansion packs" which are bigger scoped and trickier to implement interactions with one another but also had "stuff packs", which consisted of content bundles which I think is akin to this "smaller DLCs" thing.

I wish Klei would do something similar to DST with skins.  The drop system in ONI is already pretty similar.  I'd be more than happy to pay for the cosmetics.  Is there anything in the pipeline for dlc skin packs?

We honestly need more ways to support you monetarily.

It sounds like the only things they're taking off the table would be features that would split game mechanics into have/have-not the way rocketry and radiation did.

So changes to core systems will likely be smaller, and go into free updates to keep the game from having 10 different versions of the same code for different expansion combos.

And anything that builds on to the game without requiring major rewrites is on the list of possibilities.

Which is fine. It is similar to what Paradox or The Sims does, which I don't have a problem with. (Paradox has had recent issues with quality, and The Sims charges -way- too much for content, but neither is a flaw in the development model IMO) One DLC a year is a pretty cheap "subscription" model to keep getting new toys to play with in ONI!

• Like 1

While I'm not familiar with the practices of other gaming companies, as a software developer myself, I understand why their decision to change the development roadmap seems reasonable. Just like how features that were impossible to implement two years ago can become possible after long-term refactoring and rewriting. My company has had a similar experience. At first, we thought it was difficult to add new features to our existing software. But after months of rewriting and refactoring for quality and performance, we also found some interesting possibilities that could be transformed into new features. So I can resonate with their idea of developing more DLC contents.

I am open to what will we get it future DLCs. Let's see what they can bring us.

• Like 6