Oxygen Not Included February 2024 Roadmap

On 2/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, ALCRD said:

Did i understand this right? This feels like a early not funny Aprils fool joke.

Guess Tencent finally managed to corrupt this company aswell.

Well that ruined my day...

There's an active team working on this game.  They need to get paid, or Klei needs to find a way to avoid paying its programmers and hide behind workforce churn to drastically reduce its costs (and quality).

Sounds like they intend to pay their employees instead of starting a cycle of abuse.

• Like 1

Personally i kinda hated the small content patches, not because they where bad but because they came at the cost of bigger, paid, dlc packages.

The first DLC, Spaced Out!, was so insanely nice, so much to play with, so many new and changed mechanics. posibility to run multiple colonies at once, "micro" colonies within rockets, etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, i did like the small, and free, dlc packages, but they usually only held things that you would spend 1 maybe 2 hours with to figure out, and then you where done. 

Quite often making a new colony just for one of those dlcs didn't feel worth it.
Personally i haven't made a new colony in for ever because there just isn't enough new stuff that i would find it interesting.

Obviously if i could choice i would take both, both the small and free dlc packs, but ALSO the big and paid dlc packs.

Klei, why wont you take my money? 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 1:42 PM, ALCRD said:

Lying about DLCs and then doing a complete 180 about their statement does count as letting me down.

This meme where changing your mind is equivalent to lying needs to die. Words have meaning, changing your mind isn’t lying. 

Also, they didn’t promise no more DLCs ever. They said that they were going to focus on incremental updates rather than a DLC, which they did since releasing the DLC in 2021. Personally since they stated that they were abandoning a DLC2 in the 2022 roadmap, I would interpret this as a statement for that year only. Speaking as a software professional myself, there is little to no chance they had a 2024 roadmap in mind when they posted that two years ago. 

Edited by village_idiot
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, village_idiot said:

This meme where changing your mind is equivalent to lying needs to die. Words have meaning, changing your mind isn’t lying. 

Indeed, this stance is insane on an advanced level. I think the people that do this just want to capitalize of the "victim bonus", even when they are in no way actual victims. That is on the moral level of a small child that does not yet know better. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 2:22 AM, village_idiot said:

Also, they didn’t promise no more DLCs ever. They said that they were going to focus on incremental updates rather than a DLC, which they did since releasing the DLC in 2021.

Exactly this. No promise was made, just an announcement on what would be the focus. And that's what they actually did.

It seems that after DLC1 they had a DLC2 planned, and changed their minds about it. Weirdly nobody called them liars back then. Content went into small free updates for years, as announced. Now they're shifting their focus again on a big DLC. Nothing to complain about here.

They also listed technical reasons behind that decision. Those reasons are not absolute. It's true that a single codebase helps with bugfixing - to some extents. There's a reason why versions and major releases exist in sw development. Sometimes you need to refresh your code base even at the cost of loosing backwards compatibility. Sometimes it pays off to put some code in a separate module (or plug-in). And that helps with bugfixing as well. Separation of concerns is a thing, and at some point its benefits overweight the (technical) cost of maintaining separate versions/modules.

Edited by TheMule
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, GluttonyMain said:

Yeah, i don’t think its reasonable to see Roadmap for 2023 and take it as a promise forever. It was always clear that it was just "current plant for the forseeable future".

The main reason for having a plan is to be able to deviate from it in a conscious manner for identifiable reasons. A published plan is just a promise of "if we decide to deviate from this, we will let you know". Calling anybody that deviates from a plan a "liar" does reflect poorly on the ones doing the name-calling, nothing else. 

• Like 1

Very thankful that Klei is allowing us to purchase DLC. If you don't want it, don't get it. I will, this is my favorite game of all time. Also, software development is a weird area where people expect a break from the societal norms (of all time) of exchanging items of value in exchange for something you want.

BTW, for everyone outraged that Klei is changing direction - this is why teams don't communicate. If you're radio silent, you won't wind up with people who intuit a bunch of things they didn't mean to convey.

But that sucks for people who want to advocate for changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firecart said:

I can't remember, but was there some kind of suggestions post? I have some ideas that I would like to suggest.

Hmm. For getting small things changed, I have had good success with posting outrageous contraptions or detailed analyses here. ("The Fryer", for example or my analysis of slime building up and obscuring the sky because auto-miners did not work through open bunker doors). Note that I never got any direct feedback from Klei, but changes were made. A bit unusual, but I think this approach works and I am fine with it. 

For actual suggestions about content, there is a "Suggestions and Feedback" board here and my take is that the folks at Klei read it and discuss what is in there, even if they do not communicate that. I get why they limit communication, and one aspect is probably that they do not want to constrain the community here in what is discussed. But that means they pay attention and find the discussions valuable. You can also make a new discussion posting right here with your ideas. This board here is not overloaded and can take it without your suggestion getting overlooked IMO.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Hmm. For getting small things changed, I have had good success with posting outrageous contraptions or detailed analyses here. ("The Fryer", for example or my analysis of slime building up and obscuring the sky because auto-miners did not work through open bunker doors). Note that I never got any direct feedback from Klei, but changes were made. A bit unusual, but I think this approach works and I am fine with it. 

For actual suggestions about content, there is a "Suggestions and Feedback" board here and my take is that the folks at Klei read it and discuss what is in there, even if they do not communicate that. I get why they limit communication, and one aspect is probably that they do not want to constrain the community here in what is discussed. But that means they pay attention and find the discussions valuable. You can also make a new discussion posting right here with your ideas. This board here is not overloaded and can take it without your suggestion getting overlooked IMO.

I found the suggestions & feedback eventually, but thanks for the help!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:41 PM, lanN87 said:

Hi Team, any update just yet? I'm ready to buy the alpha/beta version for new DLC already
Keep up the great work!

Me too!!! Take my money Klei! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1