Oxygen Not Included February 2024 Roadmap

15 hours ago, TheticalFlyer97 said:

The way the post was worded made it seem like we are never going to see another big DLC again, which, as a sincere fan, I think is a huge mistake.

The issue is that expansions like Spaced Out fragment the player base and create multiple streams that need to be supported in parallel. While it's not quite the same as supporting two games, supporting the base game and Spaced Out is like supporting 1.5 games. Add another expansion-sized DLC like SO and you've now got Base Game, Base Game + Spaced Out, Base Game + Expansion 2, Base Game + Spaced Out + Expansion 2 to consider when dealing with balancing and various systems interactions.

21 hours ago, ALCRD said:

I haven't said anything about "betrayal" I said they lied about what they said about switching from DLCs to free updates.

Implicit in all the 2022 posts are "expansion-pack sized DLC like Spaced Out that substantially alter game systems and effectively create a whole new version of the game" not any and all paid DLC ever. You're needlessly stepping on a rake over and over again because you're insisting that the 2022 statement about DLC encompass all possible definitions of DLC, from game overhaul expansion packs down to horse armour rather than what was clearly the subject of the post at the time: something of the same scope as Spaced Out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, goboking said:

What are some ways they can distinguish this new "frosty" asteroid from Rime?

• Unique plants
  • Unique critters
  • Unique germs
  • Unique element
  • Unique POIs/Story Traits

Knowing Klei they will have plenty creative ideas

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

I hope they add freezing as a deadly hazard to the DLC

Frostbite as a hazard to working in cold environments would be a sensible next step beyond hypothermia. 

Spaced Out DLC was a blast, despite its unfinished edges. It laid down some solid foundation. The space, nuclear, and (mutation) aspects had their highs but also needed more in terms of completion and polish. Despite the rough edges, they added much to the gameplay, and I can't play ONI without the Spaced Out DLC.

I am excited about the new DLCs, hoping they're as good as Spaced Out. We had some quality-of-life improvement updates last year, but none added much depth to the game. I just hope that whatever gets added brings substantial gameplay elements and goes beyond new critters and plants. Fresh mechanics, new end-game content, and FPS improvements for late games are what will really pull the existing players back in.

A suggestion: ONI feels lonely. How about introducing some form of intelligence beyond critters? Deepening dupe interactions could make the colony feel more alive and less robotic.

Thanks for the continuous updates, looking forward to what's next!

Edited by evilcat19xx
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, evilcat19xx said:

A suggestion: ONI feels lonely. How about introducing some form of intelligence beyond critters? Deepening dupe interactions could make the colony feel more alive and less robotic.

You know something, when I first saw one very early gif of Spaced Out I thought "wait so we are getting Don't Suffocate Together?". Some could say this is impossible and point at the SimCity 2013 fiasco and point at "inherent technical limitations" but I think it could work. But I'm not a game-dev, I'm just doing soft-realtime communications in Erlang for a living, what do I know?

15 hours ago, FoldableHuman said:

The issue is that expansions like Spaced Out fragment the player base and create multiple streams that need to be supported in parallel. While it's not quite the same as supporting two games, supporting the base game and Spaced Out is like supporting 1.5 games. Add another expansion-sized DLC like SO and you've now got Base Game, Base Game + Spaced Out, Base Game + Expansion 2, Base Game + Spaced Out + Expansion 2 to consider when dealing with balancing and various systems interactions.

Heck, I remember not liking having to switch between "vanilla" and SO at the beginning (nowadays my non-SO saves just rot away :D), it was a great DLC but it was disruptive not only for devs but also for players. I think something with a bigger scope than content DLCs but still smaller than SO could be released every once in a while to shake things up.

Klei already ruined the game once by releasing DLC1, splitting the game into two branches. This was the worst decision and one that still discourages me from continuing this game as much fun. I want new content, but not in the same form as they did it the first time. In my opinion, the implementation of DLC should be fundamentally reworked, there should be no button to switch between versions of the game, there should be additional content that is simply unlocked upon purchase. I'm worried that the situation will get worse

Very fair ask. Fair price for fair value. ONI is a great game and the devs have been putting in the hours squashing bugs, increasing performance and adding new content.

Looking forward to more ways to enjoy ONI.

Note: Not very fond of the cosmetic locks. maybe give options to buy or get more spools by completing objectives. Takes forever to unlock what I want.

• Like 1

Pre-2023 paid DLC - Thanks!

2023 free updates - Thanks!

2024 paid DLC - Thanks!

Keep it coming! If you put up a preorder for DLC, you can have my money right away.

Some things I'd love to see:

• Anything you think is cool.
  • New biomes and materials
  • Another drecko or divergent morph
  • More advanced pipe and wiring options (higher capacity, higher end research. There's a few mods with similar ideas)
  • Storage containers with high/low thresholds
  • Maybe someday a use for helium? (what would drecko scales grown in helium do?)
  • Another use for sourgas? (what would drecko scales grown in sourgas do?)
  • Copy/paste/blueprints
  • Maybe a little easier way to find gold/cobalt wires I can replace with lead?
  • Limit sliders for transformers (large transformer, but tell it not to draw more than 2k power)
  • More uses for radbolts/radbolts (would a critter morph that needs radiation be a good or bad idea?)
  • A low spoilage food recipe (like berry sludge) with different ingredients (so I don't feel stuck with sleet wheat and bristle blossoms all the time)
  • A faster way to vacuum out gas
  • A menu setting for the default for "allow autorepair" (I want to always disable autorepair)
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, arty007 said:

Klei already ruined the game once by releasing DLC1, splitting the game into two branches. This was the worst decision and one that still discourages me from continuing this game as much fun. I want new content, but not in the same form as they did it the first time. In my opinion, the implementation of DLC should be fundamentally reworked, there should be no button to switch between versions of the game, there should be additional content that is simply unlocked upon purchase.

did you read the post?

they explicitly mention these new dlcs are enabled in addition to spaced out/base game, just like you described

Edited by SGT_Imalas
  • Like 2

What I want to see is an Airlock that can easily separate 2 areas and prevent heat transfer instead of making us use 2 liquid locks with vacuum space in between, and high flow air pumps, new sources of clean energy, perhaps water turbine that can produce more power than the Manual Generator, perhaps slighty more power or same amount of power but it requires water pump to push water through it.

Also a simpler way to cool/heat areas since there is nothing in between the Ice-E Fan/Space Heater and Thermo Aquatuner, or at least increase the heat generated by space heater, on cold biomes it never heats up the area and it can't even heat it self.

Now for the electrical power, we either need an even bigger transformer (e.g transformer station) or higher capacity power cable, i think it's messed up to have the large transformer supply 4k of power while the cable can only support 2k of power. We also need means to store energy, it's almost hard to have smart batter/jumbo battery setup, whenever i try to connect smart battery to my generators they would only fill it up and leave the jumbo batteries at %25 or less, i do run massive numbers of jumbo batteries though, they can keep my colony for 3 cycles without generators supplying them with power, maybe a jumbo smart battery would be nice, or make the smart battery run in a consistent way with jumbo battery when they're all connected with the same power cable.

And for food how about we have real means of storage, like bigger colder refrigerator, a freezer for example, currently i'm automating my cooked food into a room with Co2 atmosphere cooled to -26 to keep it from spoiling,.

Also how about making a newer version of the compost? something that use power and can turn rot, food, polluted dirt, and other perishables into dirt/fertilizer, would be nice to have a source for fertilizer.

How about a recycling station, for example if you made extra atmo suite or have extra Disk from space exploration you can turn them back into their base materials.

I was thinking if Lavatory produce Black Water which can be treated in Water treatment plant to produce Dirt/Water, and if dirt can be further refined to create sand, i know there is tons of ways to produce sand, but just an idea.

Lastly, we need a way to get blue prints and filaments in faster way, specially with the newly added blue prints and the ones that's coming in the future.

46 minutes ago, AngelQ8 said:

How about a recycling station, for example if you made extra atmo suite or have extra Disk from space exploration you can turn them back into their base materials

That is something that's indeed long overdue. There are still a number of loose ends in the resource chains (data banks, gas grass, surplus clothes), and a glaring "loose beginning" (metal ore)..

Looking at the rest of your suggestions, I'm rather confused, though.

• Lavatories already produce black water - polluted water is black water; the water sieve turns it into grey water, which can then be used for handwashing and irrigation. It produces polluted dirt in the process. How does that differ from what you suggested?
  • There is a source for fertilizer, it's called the fertilizer synthesizer.
  • Large battery banks (outside of solar power) are useless in my experience; it's pretty much always easier to store fuel and generate power on demand than to store electricity, If you do need them for some reason, smart batteries are superior to jumbo batteries in all aspects except size. I don't understand the rest of your comments on the electrical grid at all; that's likely my problem, though, not yours.
  • You've already found the ultimate means of food storage - cooled inert gases. Or, if you want a dedicated building, the Dehydrator.
  • Cooling and heating: don't underestimate the power of a polluted water loop through a cold or hot biome, or the heating power of water and salt water geysers. There's also the liquid tepidizer for heating which is incredibly efficient. For cooling, you skipped over AETNs and Thermo Regulators, as well as the early hands-on ice tempshift plate/ice statue.
  • Liquid locks come in many shapes and sizes. A vacuum lock can be extremely compact - not without trade-offs, of course, but that's to be expected. They've also become easier to build than ever, thanks to the "move to" command. I realize that setting them up gets old after a while, but for new players the lessons they provide about how ONI works are pretty important from my poit of view at least.

In summary, this feels to me like you either haven't been playing for that long, or you'd like ONI to be less about its physics and more about its buildings, so more like Satisfactory or Factorio. The former will take care of itself. ;) The latter is something I sincerely hope never happens - using actual research and creative engineering instead of research points and efficiency enhancer buildings is to me the very heart of ONI. That said, there are tons of mods that cater to the "if it's not a building, it's an exploit" playstyle, including deep freezer buildings and airlock doors, and that's perfectly fine. I'd just hate to see those become part of "core ONI".

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

20 minutes ago, pnambic said:

That is something that's indeed long overdue. There are still a number of loose ends in the resource chains (data banks, gas grass, surplus clothes), and a glaring "loose beginning" (metal ore)..

Looking at the rest of your suggestions, I'm rather confused, though.

• Lavatories already produce black water - polluted water is black water; the water sieve turns it into grey water, which can then be used for handwashing and irrigation. It produces polluted dirt in the process. How does that differ from what you suggested?
  • There is a source for fertilizer, it's called the fertilizer synthesizer.
  • Large battery banks (outside of solar power) are useless in my experience; it's pretty much always easier to store fuel and generate power on demand than to store electricity, If you do need them for some reason, smart batteries are superior to jumbo batteries in all aspects except size. I don't understand the rest of your comments on the electrical grid at all; that's likely my problem, though, not yours.
  • You've already found the ultimate means of food storage - cooled inert gases. Or, if you want a dedicated building, the Dehydrator.
  • Cooling and heating: don't underestimate the power of a polluted water loop through a cold or hot biome, or the heating power of water and salt water geysers. There's also the liquid tepidizer for heating which is incredibly efficient. For cooling, you skipped over AETNs and Thermo Regulators, as well as the early hands-on ice tempshift plate/ice statue.
  • Liquid locks come in many shapes and sizes. A vacuum lock can be extremely compact - not without trade-offs, of course, but that's to be expected. They've also become easier to build than ever, thanks to the "move to" command. I realize that setting them up gets old after a while, but for new players the lessons they provide about how ONI works are pretty important from my poit of view at least.

In summary, this feels to me like you either haven't been playing for that long, or you'd like ONI to be less about its physics and more about its buildings, so more like Satisfactory or Factorio. The former will take care of itself. ;) The latter is something I sincerely hope never happens - using actual research and creative engineering instead of research points and efficiency enhancer buildings is to me the very heart of ONI. That said, there are tons of mods that cater to the "if it's not a building, it's an exploit" playstyle, including deep freezer buildings and airlock doors, and that's perfectly fine. I'd just hate to see those become part of "core ONI".

It's just some ideas that crossed my mind, I've been playing the game since parodically since launch, but i become more invested in it in the year.

What i mean with black water is a source of dirt, since my brother works in water treatment plants, they usually get few trucks load of dirt on daily basis from black water treatment, while grey water almost produce nothing, but it needs to be disinfected and treated before it becomes viable for drinking, in general black water need solids to be removed, then it turns into grey water which goes into more treatment to turn it into viable drinking water.

I know about the fertilizer synthesizer, but a form of advance compost would be nice, or not.

For the batteries, it's just my play style, I know it's inefficient, but here I am on cycle 1687 and still without research reactor, i really should build one and replace the batteries with steam power.

The food storage is no problem at all, the easiest early game method is store the food in a ditch full of Co2, it helps, as for the Dehydrator it needs to be fixed, since they proved it to be a waste of time and resources, so still Co2 and freezing much better.

As for cooling I use the aquatuner in all my colonies with super coolant later in the game, never had any problems, but just some ideas, also cooling gas is not that efficient anyways, and Ice-E Fan with Ice Statue require ice, which is hard to get depending on the biomes, as I said just ideas and ideas.

Most of my colony have couple of liquid/vacuum locks, but an Airlock would make life easier, though it's not a big deal.

In general i was thinking of things that make the game easier, which i know not so many people agree with, and there is a million guide on YT on have to do things correctly, creatively and easily.

I appreciate your time for the reply, and I hope the game gets better and more fun in future DLCs.

• Like 1

I don't mind some paid DLC, I don't mind supporting those who create a game I love!

As long as the DLCs truly add to the game/game play, and don't have aspects that rely on other DLCs. (Also not a big fan of DLCs that change aspects of the base game. - How Spaced Out! makes all shine bugs and wheezeworts radioactive rather than introducing them as a new variant was beyond frustrating, please no more of that - variants give options!)

15 hours ago, AngelQ8 said:

For the batteries, it's just my play style, I know it's inefficient, but here I am on cycle 1687 and still without research reactor, i really should build one and replace the batteries with steam power.

Actually Research Reactor still needs steam turbines for power producing.

From past experience I know that I personally can't build up any interest in playing games with lots of paid DLC, like cities skylines, train simulator or the sims. Can't force myself to enjoy them no matter how hard I try. Even though these games are in my interest area more than any other game.. But I also don't play free to play games for the same reason. The FOMO aspect affects me in a different way than normal people where it kills my joy entirely instead of making me chase out to complete a collection. Kind of thankful it does to be honest.

In the back of my mind it's still somewhat worrysome because usually when game design is split between many DLC it becomes superficial. When you have to make a game where you can mix and match modules you have to ballance for that. And I think it's impossible at least for me ot make a compelling game that way. Usually the games design suffers. But I'm happy to be proven wrong, maybe someone knows a good example where it worked? It can be great for the players who enjoy lots of content. I had a lot of fun so far and that was good enough for me.

• Big Ups 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:50 PM, Atro said:

From past experience I know that I personally can't build up any interest in playing games with lots of paid DLC, like cities skylines, train simulator or the sims. Can't force myself to enjoy them no matter how hard I try. Even though these games are in my interest area more than any other game.. But I also don't play free to play games for the same reason. The FOMO aspect affects me in a different way than normal people where it kills my joy entirely instead of making me chase out to complete a collection. Kind of thankful it does to be honest.

In the back of my mind it's still somewhat worrysome because usually when game design is split between many DLC it becomes superficial. When you have to make a game where you can mix and match modules you have to ballance for that. And I think it's impossible at least for me ot make a compelling game that way. Usually the games design suffers. But I'm happy to be proven wrong, maybe someone knows a good example where it worked? It can be great for the players who enjoy lots of content. I had a lot of fun so far and that was good enough for me.

We may need a rework of difficulty/worldgen options to allow us to balance things for ourselves. ONI players love to tinker, if we have the tools game balance would just become another fun problem to solve 

The bold speculation that DLC2 is based on a hypothesis about Europa Europa. Europa has a 10-30km thick ice layer on its surface, with surface temperatures ranging from -163 ℃ to -223 ℃. Underneath the ice is a vast ocean, and NASA's Europa Express, launched in 2023, will reach the orbit of Europa in 2031.

Barotrauma is also a game about piloting submarines in the underground ocean of Europa. I think Oxygen not included will learn from Barotrauma's gameplay, but I haven't had time to play Barotrauma yet

1. A swimsuit with a thruster, similar to the flying suit in modern games, allows a person to move freely in the ocean without the need for a ladder.

2. Large marine organisms, similar in size to whales. After feeding a large amount of food, it will excrete a special substance similar to 52B

3. New microorganisms can survive in liquids. New algae plants grow after consuming microorganisms. The cultivated algae are used as fish feed.

4. RTG, a device that enriches the application of nuclear energy and is included at the beginning of the project. This device can only be used for 100 cycles

5. Harbin Ice and Snow World,

5.1 Rich ice sculpture decorations

5.2 Window bricks can be constructed with ice blocks

5.3 Fire slides can be built with ice blocks

5.4 Big cotton jacket, a new plant, a cotton that can withstand cold cultivation

Snipaste_2024-03-08_13-09-32.png.0a06e6317317836f2b5c0ced9cec92fb.pngSnipaste_2024-03-08_13-10-06.png.249e2ac1ec3c544c4cad6b00f3e4d902.pngSnipaste_2024-03-08_13-09-08.png.67ad5c391d37778663b7509940ad6a75.png

5.5 Skating shoes to accelerate horizontal movement speed

6. A vertical rectangular planet map with high-temperature steam vents underground, and a new steam ejection device that can eject objects from underground to any height.

7. Add dance genres to the jukebox, such as "# kemusan"

Snipaste_2024-03-08_13-11-20.png.e02511ac28c7cc1c685a3fe5804ff3bc.png

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:26 AM, SGT_Imalas said:

did you read the post?

they explicitly mention these new dlcs are enabled in addition to spaced out/base game, just like you described

Why the change from free updates back to paid DLCs?
DLCs were always the better choice for expanding the ONI universe, but we just didn't think we could do it. Now that we have new ideas that play nicely with existing versions of the game and lend themselves well to mixing and matching later on...we're making it happen! 

I understood everything correctly. There will be two versions of the game left and DLC will somehow be integrated into them.

P.S. It's good to see that the Klei community doesn't change and is just as slow in analyzing the development of the game, which is why the game turns into garbage. Here continue attack for any criticism to developers, although after a year or two it is interesting to read my theses from the forum participants who previously attacked me for these theses :geek:

• Like 1