A lot of the criticisms of the game lately seem like more of attacks on recent updates rather than coherent requests.

And lately, it's the same group of people on the same circlejerk everywhere they go

- We hate skilltrees and we want them removed

- The game is too easy

- We hate change

- We hate bugs and they all should be taken out for no reason

- If you don't play the game like I do, you play the game wrong

No wonder why my suggestions are unpopular. I like skill trees and I like decorating. I think a lot of exploits in the game are used to shore up annoying shortcomings of an otherwise, decent game.

The game isn't broken, but people generally act like it is. Especially with skill trees. They don't affect survival in such a significant way, especially if you spec in a way to challenge yourself. 

I can't really apply this to Wolfgang, but the other skill trees can be specced in a way to make them no better than if they didn't have them in the first place. Even woodie's quick picking skills are all but obsolete once you get the scythe.

Each thread is it's own echo chamber and cliques start to form. They develop a hivemind and whenever something goes against their own agenda, they don't empower their own ideas, but break down everything else around them.

I'm disgusted. 

• Like 22
  • Haha 4
  • Wavey 2
  • Shopcat 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

16 minutes ago, chirsg said:

- The game is too easy

- We hate change

Those are a wrong summary of people's opinions.

A better summary would be:

- We hate skilltrees. Some forumites didn't like skill trees because of reason 1.2.3, because of this part and that part.

The game is too easy. The game is easier compared to before, because the change 1.2.3.

- We hate change. The change is not fleshed out / balancing issue.

- We hate bugs. (good summary)

- If you don't play the game like I do, you play the game wrong. (I dont think I've seen this sort of echo chamber in this forum. Everyone is open minded to some extent. Plus we have moderations for closed minded hate remarks.)

People act like this is because this is a forum mainly to provide feedbacks. Most common form of feedback is "what is done wrong", "what can be improved", and lots of them are opinionated, but nothing is wrong with that. Your suggestion isn't popular not because they are not good to you, but they are not good enough for others to give it a emoji.

People endorse posts they like. But they still read posts they don't like. They echo from time to time, but not in a chamber.

• Like 16
  • Big Ups 3

Likes & emojis are over-rated, if what you post inspires just one single soul to do something great, then you’ve served your purpose of sharing it.

People do often discredit each others ideas and opinions, and believe it or not it’s actually fine to do that.. (in a respectful way) but When you tell someone to “Just get better at doing X, Y or Z” instead of seeing things in the same light as they suggested them. Then your really not contributing to the topic at hand.

And that doesn’t just apply to Nerf this, Buff that, Add/ Remove this, in a video game, this applies to all blocks of life.

Some people will ask Why? And another group will ask Why not?

But you will never know, you will never get anywhere.. if you never put in the effort to “Try” to have your voice heard, rather you have people follow you, or think your Mike the residential forums idiot, your still making your opinions heard.

And isn’t that what a forum is for anyway? To have opinions heard??

• Like 8

3 hours ago, goatt said:

idk if that is a good summary.  I think sometimes things are bugs, and yes bugs should be fixed, but sometimes its not a bug - its just something people don't like b/c its not how they want to play the game.  Some people want to play the game with just their weapons, dodging attacks etc, and they don't want to farm up weather pains, or endure 8 minutes of a fight, or build a wall, or whatever thing that is perfectly sound and acceptable in the game and 100% NOT a bug but still completely disrespected b/c its not what they want.  Including me, there are things I don't want in the game and I argue against them here.  No harm in that.

I'd also point out that largely each of these points Chris lists have 2-3 groups occupying different positions on these issues and they bicker between them on their positions.  Its okay for them to circle around too, b/c they are probably fleshing out their positions, offering counter points, and even if THEY don't change their opinions, the people reading it can get a sense for the different perspectives and form their own opinion too.  I'm 100% certain Klei reads the forums to gather feedback even though they do not post on it, and I think its good they see us lay out our opinions and perspectives like this too.  As long as it doesn't get insulting or disrespectful what does it matter if a thread goes to 20 pages?  Klei isn't paying by the post to host the forums lol.

• Like 7

Criticism is valid feedback. Most criticism I see here (with a few exceptions that are bound to happen, here and there) is written to encourage discussion on the topic- "I dislike this, here are my reasons why" and likewise. These topics are usually made to get people to discuss a certain aspect of the game, whether they want to voice their support or their own criticism.

4 hours ago, chirsg said:

Each thread is it's own echo chamber and cliques start to form. They develop a hivemind and whenever something goes against their own agenda, they don't empower their own ideas, but break down everything else around them.

Whenever you see something unconstructive to discussion or otherwise genuinely mean-spirited, report the post in question, and move on. I've noticed when things actually get reported, the mod squad jumps into action quickly and works efficiently. Despite their silence, they take out the trash extremely well. Don't be discouraged from reporting bad actors just because you're not seeing public results. I must stress that these issues should not be made public in the first place- It's a bad look for the discussion's legitimacy and for yourself to try and take petty arguments into your own hands.

That being said, in my own opinion, turning what must be several threads and posts worth of discussion into a bullet-pointed list of whining is very disheartening. I think you'll find that almost every person who takes the effort of putting forth a discussion usually has a point attached, so to gloss over it all to make your argument stronger looks...

Kind of exactly what you're posting about. Shutting down a discussion you dislike, or that goes against your own view. Telling people their opinion is wrong.

A thread turning to more specifically talk about certain points rather than every point on the matter under the sun is just a natural progression for most discussions. As long as people are still respecting your opinion it's fine, but it's important to know the distinction that not everyone needs to accept your opinion as their own.

4 hours ago, chirsg said:

The game isn't broken, but people generally act like it is. Especially with skill trees. They don't affect survival in such a significant way, especially if you spec in a way to challenge yourself. 

To criticize the implementation or existence of certain elements is not to claim the game is broken. Don't Starve is undeniably built on a ridiculously strong foundation, proven in that it can support such a variety of playstyles and opinions on directions the game should take.

I can't speak for every forumer, but I'll borrow your example of skill trees to demonstrate how I like to personally go about making & looking at discussions of things on here.

Spoiler

I dislike them. This is coming from someone who uses them, and uses different builds to find the setup that works best for me. I dislike them a lot. I have several reasons why, but first and foremost, I dislike them. I begin my post strongly by saying I dislike something- It's all the information that is immediately necessary for my point to be known. However, I'm open to explaining my points, too, if asked, to allow for discussion. Or even when not asked! I'm just -that- wonderful.

I can spec into them in any way I choose or like, but this doesn't change the fact that I dislike them. Because I dislike how they are implemented.
I think they are lazily implemented. It's easy to misunderstand that one- But know I'm not criticizing the content they add, which obviously has a large amount of work & effort put in, but rather, how they were added. I feel they are a disconnected UI that inorganically sticks out from regular world progression like a sore thumb.
I want to feel rewarded for my efforts, and I want it every time- not to do something once in who knows how long ago and be able to reap an infinite reward across every session I ever have. This feels lazy and like I'm dragging some kind of developer "sv_cheats 1" into every game I ever play from that point on. This is the part of the post I want to be known. This is why I feel the way I do, it is the important part of what I'm writing. This is my actual point, but only part of it. I still have multiple other reasons, but am not divulging them simply because they are not all immediately relevant and would subtract from my first point. If I were ever asked, however, I would continue the discussion by stating my other points. I am purposefully leaving some holes so that people can ask, and get a better understanding.

I can choose to ignore skill trees or try to balance them in-game, but then, why would I do that? Why should I sit there, knowing I'm limiting myself, simply because I disagree with how it was implemented? It's an annoying feeling, knowing I have to make a conscious decision to play the game worse, to know I'm not taking full advantage of a situation, and to know I'm squandering my potential abilities. I'm now backed into a point where I am dissatisfied either way: Either I'm making the game too easy for my liking, or I'm making it artificially difficult for myself. This is pre-emptively challenging a stance I've commonly seen in the other direction, as well as reinforcing my original point. Note however, I am not just disqualifying it, but instead stating why I believe "If you don't like it, don't use it" is invalid advice for my particular situation.

After this point, I usually wait for the discussion to continue further before taking up more room. One of my favorite things to do on the forums is to come up with alternative solutions to problems myself as hypotheticals and to have more tangible, constructive back-and-forths with users, so if I'm ever asked to elaborate, that's usually what I do. I would do so here, but this is already not what the topic is about, and I'm merely using this as an example. If you do want to know more about my opinion on all this though or ask more specific questions, feel free to make it a separate thread and @Auth me.

While certainly more assertive in tone, as is the usual case with criticism, this is still an invitation to encourage healthy discussion at every step. I want people to know where I stand, and I want to see a broader horizon than what I'm currently looking at. I like answering questions myself, and I like hearing other's answers too. My greatest fear is that someone will only ever take what they assume I mean at face value, rather than themselves taking the steps to meaningfully read and digest my perspective.

Remember to stay open-minded, and that you have the tools to help make the forums better, should you feel that things may be genuinely slipping out of control.

Edited by Auth
Clarity + Typo
  • Like 13
  • Health 1

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:
4 hours ago, goatt said:

idk if that is a good summary.  I think sometimes things are bugs, and yes bugs should be fixed, but sometimes its not a bug

That's true. But those are "bugs". Here, it's bugs.

I think the main thing I dislike on the original post, is the just OBVIOUS passive-aggressive office post-it-note-ness of it. The whole "SOME people around here are being so annoying. SOME people (winkwinknudgenudgeyouallknowwhoIactuallymean) are really obnoxious and "circle jerking" each other. SOME people, I won't  name names but if you've been here for a while recently you totally know who they are..."

Ya know...you COULD just argue _for_ the things that Some People Around Here are arguing against, instead of calling them out but NOT quite really calling them out. You could try that.

Spoiler

Also I totally know that one of them is probably me, even though I could barely stop my eyes rolling long enough to finish the post.

Probably gonna get in trouble for this, but...seriously. Seriously.

...Notorious

• Like 6
  • Health 3

29 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I think the main thing I dislike on the original post, is the just OBVIOUS passive-aggressive office post-it-note-ness of it. The whole "SOME people around here are being so annoying. SOME people (winkwinknudgenudgeyouallknowwhoIactuallymean) are really obnoxious and "circle jerking" each other. SOME people, I won't  name names but if you've been here for a while recently you totally know who they are..."

Ya know...you COULD just argue _for_ the things that Some People Around Here are arguing against, instead of calling them out but NOT quite really calling them out. You could try that.

Hide contents

Also I totally know that one of them is probably me, even though I could barely stop my eyes rolling long enough to finish the post.

Probably gonna get in trouble for this, but...seriously. Seriously.

...Notorious

I might be one of them too since I had to endure him saying xyz to me.

This is not off topic or offensive btw. I'm just situating the OP's frustration unfortunately. But yeah, this whole negativity here should end.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

As long as I can remember, on forums, in my community, people have always been dissatisfied with something, they were always scribbling a bunch of formidable "criticism" and the fact that everything turns out the game is not the way it should be. Sometimes I even get messages in my group's messages, as if I were a game developer, from users that the game needs to be fixed urgently and that everything new is utter nonsense. Sometimes I don't want to be involved in notifying and translating updates about this game, because this war among fans will start again. Some are happy, some are not, and they constantly get into fights. There is still a fairly easy form of submitting "criticism" on the forums, in fact. You haven't seen what's going on in fan communities, groups and other things on different platforms yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

And I am full. I ate two sandwiches and a big Jogobella yogurt half an hour ago.

Not bad.

I recently ate the leftover seafood linguine i made yesterday for dinner and drank a tall glass of mixed currant juice.

Decent breakfast that was.

• Hunger 1
  • Big Ups 1

11 hours ago, chirsg said:

And lately, it's the same group of people on the same circlejerk everywhere they go

- The game is too easy

- We hate change

No wonder why my suggestions are unpopular. I like skill trees and I like decorating. I think a lot of exploits in the game are used to shore up annoying shortcomings of an otherwise, decent game.

I can't really apply this to Wolfgang, but the other skill trees can be specced in a way to make them no better than if they didn't have them in the first place. Even woodie's quick picking skills are all but obsolete once you get the scythe.

I'm disgusted. 

This is overexaggeration, and rather rude to many players. This might come off wrong i have always been really bad with tones, but i have no bad intentions or feelings towards you.

"We hate skilltress..."-There are only a handful of people who want skilltrees removed. If they have their own valid reasons, then they can believe it. 

"The game is too easy"-The game is too easy thing is not complained about as often as you word it, but it is a subject under alot of people's noses. This game is mostly knowledge based which makes the difficulty of the game often polarizing. (Even with knowledge though, the game can still be very challenging. It takes practice to put it at test and be efficent). There are still people who are "too good" and will need to focus on challenging themselves if they want the game to be hard.

"We hate change"- It depends on what the change is, nobody inherently hates change. Recent changes like skill trees (and even reworks) are a big thing. The game is becoming much more character focused as who you pick is becoming significantly more impactful and important. This is a shift that some people will dislike, and that is ok.

"We hate bugs and they should be taken out for no reason"- This has tons of exagerration. Everyone has there reasons. Sometimes exploits shows issues with game mechanics (like void walking and tentacle pillars). Assuming you are referring to things like the recent pearl change, because you have made tons of posts about it, the common agreement is to add a better source of shells in replacement for the bug. (You suggested this as well Chris, around 7 times)

"If you don't play the game like i do, you are doing it wrong."- Mostly everyone has overcome this ages ago. 

No wonder why my suggestions are unpopular

Blaming these reasons, and everyone else for your suggestions being unpopulour is wrong. You sometimes do very click baity titles, and during the recent pearl bug being fixed, you made so many posts about it. Some were alright and good suggestions, some questionable, spammy and rather random.

I'm disgusted. 

You are painting everyone who disagrees with you as villians and putting them below yourself. This is hypocritical. Their criticisms are valid, and have no bad intentions, even though  bad apples are still existant.

Overall, i recommend to make blue digital hearts not a motivation for making suggestions, even though they feel so good. It is still nice to make an idea or something and be surprised to see that everyone likes it.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 8
  • Sanity 1

I think you're taking it way too personal. I don't care for most suggestions on the forum, including my own.

I have almost never criticized Klei even for content I found a bit lacking. I always try to find the good side of what we get and enjoy it for myself. Skill trees are the only thing I cannot forgive. They are so objectively bad I don't have words. And I will keep bringing it up because everyone here just seems fine with forgetting that, and then complain about things that are a direct consequence of this awful device. And then they say "skill tree good" in the same sentence.

Ignore list is fully functional, I tested it thoroughly.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, BezKa said:

They are so objectively bad I don't have words

17 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I have almost never criticized Klei even for content I found a bit lacking. I always try to find the good side of what we get and enjoy it for myself.

• Sad Dupe 1

Objectively bad means there are literally no upsides to them.

Skill trees have brought Woodie up to a level which actually puts him in contention with the big dogs of the game and Wigfrid's made her combat in line with what's supposed to be her niche, which is that of a combat character. Not to mention, it's brought up Willow's co-current players up to her popularity as a character independent of her abilities. 

If that's the new meaning of objectively bad, then I think I have to set up a meeting with the CEO of the english language 

2 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Skill trees done good

Except in form of a skill tree it's still bad. They could have just done touch ups to characters that had the first reworks, like for Wortox. Instead this whole nonsense got introduced and broke game progression, and is going to throw the game so off balance it's threatening the fun, which games should be about. In a few months everyone will talk about how the trees we have now are unimpressive because well balanced characters will suddenly become even more powerful. While the game stays the same difficulty.

• Like 9

It is sadly something that gets naturally self-selected

Complaining releases dopamine

People don't like other people that complain

So after some time, what remains on the forum are whiners that simply like to complain, while the sane people just never visit the forum to avoid the negative sanity aura

That's how forums work (on the internet, not in ancient Rome)

• Sad Dupe 3

Ultimately it's just not that deep. Share meaningful experiences with those close to you and don't take what strangers on the internet say too seriously.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 8:00 AM, loopuleasa said:

It is sadly something that gets naturally self-selected

Complaining releases dopamine

People don't like other people that complain

So after some time, what remains on the forum are whiners that simply like to complain, while the sane people just never visit the forum to avoid the negative sanity aura

That's how forums work (on the internet, not in ancient Rome)

Not exactly.  When something is going well, it is as expected.  I'm not going to come in and post that my game DIDN"T crash today.  But if it does crash I will definitely come in and post about it - or at least check posts to see if its something happening to other people.  Its natural for people to talk about things they want changed, or consider bad experiences and UNnatural to randomly jump online to gush about things that are positive or good.

This is why as online reviews became more prevalent companies had to design methods to solicit positive reviews.  The reason you get that "rate our app" link after playing a game for a little bit is b/c if you like the game you're UNlikely to go back to the page and give it a good review.  You'll just keep playing and enjoying it.  Its the person who doesn't like the app that will back track, tag it and leave a dig in the review section.  So they solicit good reviews to capture the positive experiences. 

So yes its self selected - but its also the natural point of discourse.  If you open a feedback channel and see only good things being said its more likely a flaw in the system suppressing opposing opinions than it is everyone happens to jump for joy in agreement with you.  Yeah it sucks to always hear bad news, but as a designer and producer its important to keep your ear on that feed.

And that's true now AND in ancient Rome.  The whole point of the senate was to give people a place to voice their displeasure and debate and change policy.  Caesar was assassinated because he ignored the negative sentiment in the senate as his populism ran away with him.

Do other people leave the forum for this?  idk.  I think there are people who are active and vocal, and a lot of people who are active and not vocal.  They read threads, get news, maybe react to posts they agree with, but otherwise don't post.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 7
  • Big Ups 2

I agree and it’s genuinely unfortunate. Though, you are certainly not alone in your opinion. The forum community has an awful reputation because of this. Most people stopped coming on here or avoid it completely, so it makes sense you feel a bit outnumbered. 

Pretty sure Klei recognizes the pattern by now and takes them with a grain of salt. The fact everything, down to starving itself, is optional— is proof of that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glooomy said:

I agree and it’s genuinely unfortunate. Though, you are certainly not alone in your opinion. The forum community has an awful reputation because of this. Most people stopped coming on here or avoid it completely, so it makes sense you feel a bit outnumbered. 

Pretty sure Klei recognizes the pattern by now and takes them with a grain of salt. The fact everything, down to starving itself, is optional— is proof of that. 

The "it is optional" card is not so good. I am ok with the recent updates, but you can not avoid skill trees, and ignoring riffs would be starving yourself of years of content. Everyone has the right to criticism them if they dislike any aspects of them.

I still agree overall there should be more "i like this, because of that" so devs know what they should stick with and know what kind of things players like. I am pretty confident PvZ3 got messed up further because of a lack of that, they scrapped both the bad and good features in their full rework because they mostly just got negative feedback (and still are).

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

The "it is optional" card is not so good. I am ok with the recent updates, but you can not avoid skill trees, and ignoring riffs would be starving yourself of years of content. Everyone has the right to criticism them if they dislike any aspects of them.

I still agree overall there should be more "i like this, because of that" so devs know what they should stick with and know what kind of things players like. I am pretty confident PvZ3 got messed up further because of a lack of that, they scrapped both the bad and good features in their full rework because they mostly just got negative feedback (and still are).

Hear me out on this because I like to think outside the box, but Wild Rifts.. in their current implementation- Shouldn’t be as late game as they actually are.

Yes, under normal circumstances you have to do X, Y, Z and kill roughly 4 bosses to start Rift Content, but… and this is the important part.

Rift Content, only ever directly interacts with Rift Content, you do not… for example need to wear Armor you can only obtain from fighting AFW, no.. Rift content is actually “Almost” as Introductory into the game as “Kill A Pig, obtain its skin, craft a Football Helmet, Use the armor of said football helmet to kill more pigs and craft a Hambat”

Kill a Brightshade, obtain its Husk, Craft a sword, more easily kill more Brightshades, craft armor, weapons etc.. its in all Honesty: Introductory content.

And currently Rift content doesn’t even feel “End-Game” it just feels like another Weather Season, or another Threat potentially over growing and infesting an area (like how uncontained spider queens can very quickly claim your base unless your Webber)

Brightshade infestation is just another form of that.

The only thing that feels different now with rift content is the addition of boss mutations, But… if you toggle off the bosses in settings or just simply avoid them, then you still play with rift content that’s as basic as pigskin/football helms.

Honestly I heavily feel like rifts should just naturally start opening up after like a year or two of surviving, because all the Quest tie in stuff just feels like how do I put this:

”Filler Content” to get to the new stuff.

and I’ll give one unavoidable & glaring example- Who in their right mind, is going to EVER go fight CrabKing, for any other reason but for the CC Questline?

I know I personally have no intentions of ever fighting it outside of CC quest progression, his loot is highly disappointing, requires Gnarwail horns to craft & just in general sucks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chirsg said:

We hate skilltrees and we want them removed

Not everyone harbors this idea. You peruse the forum, you should know this.

As someone who does dislike Skillsets (not skill trees use official terminology) I dislike them because of numerous reasons which I am sure I have explained in the past and agreed with others on. I will spoil it so it doesn't take up visual space.

Spoiler

1) Skillsets offer player choice. This is awesome and I love that but the Celestial Portal removes the actual impact of player choice since people can just change them whenever they feel like it. This is even more prominently seen with "swap characters" which are characters deemed lesser than by many people but useful for their unique crafts. Adding unique crafts to these skillsets only exacerbates the issue I have with the Celestial Portal. I would appreciate Skillsets more if the Celestial Portal was removed. But that is even less likely than skillsets being removed.

2) Skillsets offer numerous items or skills that are too powerful. From Wormwood's Bramble Husk skill, to Willow's Spellcasting, these change fundamental aspects of the character and seem to be "required" since if you don't take them, it is dramatically affecting the character balance. Skillsets, i believe, should strive to be minimal cutesy little bonuses that are nice but not nessecary. Willow and Wigfrid's skillsets are examples of "Re-refresh"es which is wanted for certain characters but making it rely on a system of insight acquisition rather than just being baseline is not wise for player satisfaction (I personally feel).

3) The Progression of acquiring skill points or "Insight". Currently it is just "Survive for a number of days" which is extremely passive and isn't "Insightful" Additionally these points are acquired once then permanent for the account rather than a per world basis some what encourages the "cheating" strategies of using console commands or making a world where you can't die then going AFK. All so you can get the Insight points and just play the game. It removes the impact of progression though survival.

The game is too easy

The game is not too easy. Anyone who says this is likely forgetting the amount of time, effort, and failure they endured when learning the game. Knowledge is power in this game. Once you gain it, you can never unlearn certain aspects. While mechanically (at least combat) it is simple there are many things that push difficulty in the game, all of which come down to knowledge. This is why it can be potentially argue the game is too easy. Once you know everything, there is no challenge. This is somewhat paradoxical though since the only challenge the game truly offers is the unknown.

We hate change

Not everyone, but as someone who dislike The Direction the game is headed. Yea kind of. Don't Starve was built up among its competitors (Minecraft and Terraria) as being Survival first. The direction of the game is moving away from survival and more towards boss fighting. While boss fights are welcome the core survival aspects of the game are less and less prevalent with every update. Reign of Giants added more survival issues with introducing Rain, Overheating, Wildfires, and different seasons. There have been aspects of survival introductions with Antlion's seasonal tantrums, Hail and Acid Rain (though minimally invasive) there are others that kind of just miss the mark. Moonstorms for instance would be terrifying if it affected the whole world rather than just a large pocket.

Additionally the things that are old or outdated (World Generation) are in need of change and are not receiving such updates. It is where this change is aimed is where a lot of the grumbling frustration comes from.

We hate bugs and they all should be taken out for no reason

Bugs are bugs. They are non intentional aspects of a game that result from a conflict in the games code. The developer has 2 options upon discovering a bug: Fix it or Ignore it. As someone who has worked on games before, I prefer Fix it. However if Ignoring it is a thing. STATE YOU WILL IGNORE IT! While I don't actually run into bugs with DST though people apparently do. Fix them or tell your player base this is now an intentional feature and will not be resolved. Klei is doing this in their Bug Tracker section of the forum. If people hate a bug and see it is intentionally in the game, then that is on the player. If it is a bug, it has been reported, hasn't been fixed, or stated that it is going to remain in the game then yes that is an issue. End of story.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, chirsg said:

If you don't play the game like I do, you play the game wrong

I detest the Celestial Portal. I want it removed because of the numerous reasons it has on affecting player choice. Other people like it. I think it is wrong to like it but whatever their choice. I just avoid it. The main issue is when things are added and you can't avoid them. For instance: Nudity, implied nudity, and suggestive themes are acceptable or not on a per person basis. I hate nudity, implied nudity, and suggestive themes in all situations that are public or displayed to a general audience in any way. However as we move along with time it is becoming harder and harder and harder to avoid these things. I hate that because I am unable to escape from what I get uncomfortable with.

I see those as similar situations though I could be wrong. I don't know I'm not other people. If the Celestial Portal was a literal requirement for the game, I would be flailing around and screaming to change it because I think the Portal is bad for the game. Thankfully, currently, the Portal is optional entirely and I can choose to ignore it.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, chirsg said:

I'm disgusted. 

So am I that you generalized a group of people instead of listening to their side and attempting to empathize with what they think. (Granted a lot of people do this and it disgusts me even when we want the same thing). I understand your adversity with how you see things. I was the same way with World of Warcraft until it got to a point where I was like "Oh, I understand what their gripes were about." Then I quit. (Still love the game but good god the story writing is so bad now that I am unable to enjoy it now)

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

14 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Not everyone harbors this idea. You peruse the forum, you should know this.

As someone who does dislike Skillsets (not skill trees use official terminology) I dislike them because of numerous reasons which I am sure I have explained in the past and agreed with others on. I will spoil it so it doesn't take up visual space.

Hide contents

1) Skillsets offer player choice. This is awesome and I love that but the Celestial Portal removes the actual impact of player choice since people can just change them whenever they feel like it. This is even more prominently seen with "swap characters" which are characters deemed lesser than by many people but useful for their unique crafts. Adding unique crafts to these skillsets only exacerbates the issue I have with the Celestial Portal. I would appreciate Skillsets more if the Celestial Portal was removed. But that is even less likely than skillsets being removed.

2) Skillsets offer numerous items or skills that are too powerful. From Wormwood's Bramble Husk skill, to Willow's Spellcasting, these change fundamental aspects of the character and seem to be "required" since if you don't take them, it is dramatically affecting the character balance. Skillsets, i believe, should strive to be minimal cutesy little bonuses that are nice but not nessecary. Willow and Wigfrid's skillsets are examples of "Re-refresh"es which is wanted for certain characters but making it rely on a system of insight acquisition rather than just being baseline is not wise for player satisfaction (I personally feel).

3) The Progression of acquiring skill points or "Insight". Currently it is just "Survive for a number of days" which is extremely passive and isn't "Insightful" Additionally these points are acquired once then permanent for the account rather than a per world basis some what encourages the "cheating" strategies of using console commands or making a world where you can't die then going AFK. All so you can get the Insight points and just play the game. It removes the impact of progression though survival.

The game is not too easy. Anyone who says this is likely forgetting the amount of time, effort, and failure they endured when learning the game. Knowledge is power in this game. Once you gain it, you can never unlearn certain aspects. While mechanically (at least combat) it is simple there are many things that push difficulty in the game, all of which come down to knowledge. This is why it can be potentially argue the game is too easy. Once you know everything, there is no challenge. This is somewhat paradoxical though since the only challenge the game truly offers is the unknown.

Not everyone, but as someone who dislike The Direction the game is headed. Yea kind of. Don't Starve was built up among its competitors (Minecraft and Terraria) as being Survival first. The direction of the game is moving away from survival and more towards boss fighting. While boss fights are welcome the core survival aspects of the game are less and less prevalent with every update. Reign of Giants added more survival issues with introducing Rain, Overheating, Wildfires, and different seasons. There have been aspects of survival introductions with Antlion's seasonal tantrums, Hail and Acid Rain (though minimally invasive) there are others that kind of just miss the mark. Moonstorms for instance would be terrifying if it affected the whole world rather than just a large pocket.

Additionally the things that are old or outdated (World Generation) are in need of change and are not receiving such updates. It is where this change is aimed is where a lot of the grumbling frustration comes from.

Bugs are bugs. They are non intentional aspects of a game that result from a conflict in the games code. The developer has 2 options upon discovering a bug: Fix it or Ignore it. As someone who has worked on games before, I prefer Fix it. However if Ignoring it is a thing. STATE YOU WILL IGNORE IT! While I don't actually run into bugs with DST though people apparently do. Fix them or tell your player base this is now an intentional feature and will not be resolved. Klei is doing this in their Bug Tracker section of the forum. If people hate a bug and see it is intentionally in the game, then that is on the player. If it is a bug, it has been reported, hasn't been fixed, or stated that it is going to remain in the game then yes that is an issue. End of story.

I detest the Celestial Portal. I want it removed because of the numerous reasons it has on affecting player choice. Other people like it. I think it is wrong to like it but whatever their choice. I just avoid it. The main issue is when things are added and you can't avoid them. For instance: Nudity, implied nudity, and suggestive themes are acceptable or not on a per person basis. I hate nudity, implied nudity, and suggestive themes in all situations that are public or displayed to a general audience in any way. However as we move along with time it is becoming harder and harder and harder to avoid these things. I hate that because I am unable to escape from what I get uncomfortable with.

I see those as similar situations though I could be wrong. I don't know I'm not other people. If the Celestial Portal was a literal requirement for the game, I would be flailing around and screaming to change it because I think the Portal is bad for the game. Thankfully, currently, the Portal is optional entirely and I can choose to ignore it.

So am I that you generalized a group of people instead of listening to their side and attempting to empathize with what they think. (Granted a lot of people do this and it disgusts me even when we want the same thing). I understand your adversity with how you see things. I was the same way with World of Warcraft until it got to a point where I was like "Oh, I understand what their gripes were about." Then I quit. (Still love the game but good god the story writing is so bad now that I am unable to enjoy it now)

It's very likely you wasted your precious time typing this, I'm afraid; it's not your fault, however.