Lag Compensation & Animation Cancellation & Public Servers

Lag Compensation & Animation Cancellation & Public Servers  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play in public servers and turn Lag Compensation on?

• I don't play in pubs
    • Lag Compensation ON, always
    • Lag Compensation ON, only for bad ping
    • Lag Compensation OFF, only for good ping
    • Lag Compensation OFF, always
  2. 2. Do you use animation cancellation? (Animation cancellation can cancel characters' backswing animation and increase attack speed. But that seems only possible when Lag Compensation is turned off.)

• I don't play in pubs
    • I do cancel. Lag Compensation OFF.
    • I do cancel. Lag Compensation ON. (I thought this is impossible, how do you achieve this?)
    • I do NOT cancel. Lag Compensation OFF.
    • I do NOT cancel. Lag Compensation ON.
  3. 3. What's your general feeling towards Lag Compensation

• It improves my game experience significantly
    • The improvement it brings is minor
    • I prefer to turn it off for speedrunning
    • Turning it off makes the game feel frustrating in pubs
    • Turning it off doesn't change the game much for me in pubs
    • I don't play in pubs
    • Others, feel free to add or not add a comment.
  4. 4. What's your general feeling towards Animation Cancellation

• It's satisfying to watch others perform it
    • It's too much clicking for my fingers
    • I must do it
    • I only do it when I speed run
    • I think it makes the game a bit unfair to those who don't want to use it
    • It adds depth to pro skills
    • I don't want to give up lag compensation for it
    • It's a gimmick only for private server speedrunners
    • I use it all the time in public servers with good pings
    • Others, feel free to add or not add a comment. Thanks for reading!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/24 at 03:26 AM

I don't anim cancel a lot. It's mostly random. I can live with and without it.

I loathe Lag Comp with every fiber in my body though. I'd rather know I'm laggy and see where I actually am than have the game attempt to mask it, though.

I mostly animation cancel on a beef but don't do it all the time. If my connection to the host is bad, I won't animation cancel. If I miss several cancels in a row because my timing is off, I will stop animation canceling.

Lag compensation turned on feels bad to play regardless of connection or server performance. On a bad connection or poorly performing host, you get rubberbanding with with LC on and you get stuttering with LC off. Stuttering is preferable to me VS rubberbanding.

Lag comp is horrible in most cases, an exception would be sailing. It makes rowing easier and less frustrating.

You can anim cancel with lag comp on, but not with the equip/unequip method. You have to move for an instant and press the attack button immediately after. The effort is not worth it imo, as it makes kitting a lot harder. Maybe I do it in groups where the damage is shared and I can afford tanking.

Everyone animation cancels. It's something that's part of the game and everyone likes it subconsciously. If they don't like it, they can go back to singleplayer.

Animation cancelling isn't just something where you switch out your hat or body slot. 

I think calling attention to animation cancelling on any capacity isn't productive and doesn't help anyone. It brings an eye where eyes don't need to be. 

Just enjoy the game and let others do the same

I keep lag compensation on, while I’m aware of its bad reputation, after trying it out, my fights against sanity demons when much better.

13 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Everyone animation cancels. It's something that's part of the game and everyone likes it subconsciously. If they don't like it, they can go back to singleplayer.

Animation cancelling isn't just something where you switch out your hat or body slot. 

I think calling attention to animation cancelling on any capacity isn't productive and doesn't help anyone. It brings an eye where eyes don't need to be. 

Just enjoy the game and let others do the same

you underestimate my laziness, I’m NOT going through repetitive, arduous inputs for a game I play to relax, exertion is taxing, I have a job for worrying about performance.

I just want the lag to be fixed so I can actually enjoy the game with my friends.
If lag comp is turned off you have a .5 sec or greater delay on all actions which is not fun.
If lag comp is on then you cannot dodge enemy attacks.

4 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I keep lag compensation on, while I’m aware of its bad reputation, after trying it out, my fights against sanity demons when much better.

you underestimate my laziness, I’m NOT going through repetitive, arduous inputs for a game I play to relax, exertion is taxing, I have a job for worrying about performance.

I'm not sure either of us are having the same conversation. 

I'm saying that every single player animation cancels. 

I think what you're trying to tell me is that you don't do 'extra inputs' to cut down animation time.

I insist that you are animation cancelling but don't know that you are aware of it.

If you've ever pulled back when attacking before the entire animation is complete, you have animation cancelled. 

So think on a time where you go to hit an enemy, but realize you're about to get hit if you follow through with the attack and you pull away instead, mazel tov! you've animation cancelled.

1 minute ago, chirsg said:

I'm not sure either of us are having the same conversation. 

I'm saying that every single player animation cancels. 

I think what you're trying to tell me is that you don't do 'extra inputs' to cut down animation time.

I insist that you are animation cancelling but don't know that you are aware of it.

If you've ever pulled back when attacking before the entire animation is complete, you have animation cancelled. 

So think on a time where you go to hit an enemy, but realize you're about to get hit if you follow through with the attack and you pull away instead, mazel tov! you've animation cancelled.

I believe the poster of this thread is referring to the deliberate technique of using animation canceling to attack more frequently than otherwise possible when using the term "animation canceling" and I believe that other participants in this thread are also on the same page.

There are other cases in which animation canceling happens in the game but I do not believe that is what is being discussed by others.

4 minutes ago, GimplyGoose said:

There are other cases in which animation canceling happens in the game but I do not believe that is what is being discussed by others.

It doesn't matter. The principal is probably the same no matter what. Whenever animation cancelling is ever brought up, I don't put it past this community to have a certain subtext to have something removed when something is in the spotlight.

This seems like raising a discussion to remove cancelling without saying they want to remove cancelling.

So I feel like I have a responsibility to state that animation cancelling is present in places that aren't just rapidfire attacking.

37 minutes ago, chirsg said:

It doesn't matter. The principal is probably the same no matter what. Whenever animation cancelling is ever brought up, I don't put it past this community to have a certain subtext to have something removed when something is in the spotlight.

This seems like raising a discussion to remove cancelling without saying they want to remove cancelling.

So I feel like I have a responsibility to state that animation cancelling is present in places that aren't just rapidfire attacking.

I would say that it does matter because it is confusing when the term "animation canceling" is used to refer to two entirely different concepts.

I think we agree that animation canceling shouldn't be removed or changed, but there was already one person confused by what you said so I felt like it was worthwhile to clarify what I believed was being discussed.

Lag Compensation: Off all time - only playing pubs (gave up long ago on personal servers). Yes, on >100 ping character stutters visually and experience is pretty much cr@p from immersion pov, but I prefer it to "being teleported back" and taking "free" smacks; or subtracting kiting hits.

Never used animation canceling aside Forge and Gorge, not worth it (won't break my mouse for some silly game), I don't care since am in no real hurry and I never "speed run" per se in the sense of those specific websites (forgot the name, don't care either) - but I do rushes in Survival pubs; Endless, a whole other "fish stew" related to in-game goals. Still, if others want to use it (anim.canceling), have fun chaps.

I only play on my own dedicated server that I host on my PC, so I pretty much always play with Lag Compensation On and it's fine. If I were to play on other people's server with a high ping then I would probably try disabling it, but so far never had a reason to.

7 hours ago, chirsg said:

9 hours ago, goatt said:

Just curius about how the community is playing the game.

Thank you forumites for answering to my curiosity.

6 hours ago, chirsg said:

From reading the replies, I don't see anyone else talking about removing animation cancelling. I think you shouldn't worry about it too much this time.

11 hours ago, grm9 said:

what do you use animation cancelling for in gorge?

If I remember well, cutting trees (as Woodie). Not sure if there was something else too, long time passed (over 5 years irl, wew), may have been. But what I do distinctly recall is the fact there was an amusing competition between me and the friends I was playing with recurrently to cut everything on that island, including Sap Forest (or what was it called), just for fun, from match to match. Likewise killing all critters (Beefs, Crabs), gathering tons of poop and other silly stuff aside completing runs/gathering the favors. I haven't tried the namesake mod, after it crashed 3 times on me at startup I gave up; the mod may be a bit different since its devs didn't had direct access to all original mode's code, but "rebuild" it themselves from what they saw/experienced - hence in mod's case don't know what animation canceling may be employed if any. Fun times nevertheless, wish KLei would do an official Gorge (& Forge) "Encore".

Spoiler

FE4D49DD03110191941537F68D1BDAEE65480E1D

422FA59EC682C25043B99579104B30814035ABA7

I hate performing it. Some things will be automated though with Action Queue mod, and now I also hate living without it. I kind of wish it didn't exist but that every animation would just play faster instead. Though there are some arguments about skilled play being rewarded, and theoretically to someone out there it's fun to execute. Maybe?

I never play without predictive lag compensation. Even when alone in a server I host myself it's bizarrely unbearable and unresponsive to play without. No idea what the game has to lag about. I don't mind if my swings takes a second to register but I absolutely despite if my input to the swing should take a second to register. It is annoying how much it increases enemy range though.

I like the skill of animation cancellation. But most of the people I've encountered using it on public servers have been wildly abusing it with client mod, and with some weird malicious competitive intent... It feels like hacker.

19 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

these kinds of threads that treat speedrunning as something that is everywhere in the community when in reality there's only a few speedrunners are kind of bizarre to me

Options for the 3rd question are literally terrible for this exact reason. The only option for the straight answer of “I don’t use lag compensation” is “I prefer it off for speedrunning” lmao

I'm surprised people who play with Lag compensation ON still exist and options given in the poll kind of push me towards the conclusion that poll maker is one of them. It isn't speedrunning that makes people turn it off but a common sense that makes an idea of trading immediate response for a "false premise of smoothness that regularly backfires into "getting hit from nowhere" and subsequent frustration" rather unappealing.

1 hour ago, DirtWolf said:

Options for the 3rd question are literally terrible for this exact reason. The only option for the straight answer of “I don’t use lag compensation” is “I prefer it off for speedrunning” lmao

I admit it was my bias. No one proof read it for me. But thanks for pointing it out.

I should've added "turning it off makes game experience better". All the options were based on my perception that turning it off will never make the experience better (to me).

I'm not a pro poll maker.

1 hour ago, shadowDigga said:

I'm surprised people who play with Lag compensation ON still exist and options given in the poll kind of push me towards the conclusion that poll maker is one of them. It isn't speedrunning that makes people turn it off but a common sense that makes an idea of trading immediate response for a "false premise of smoothness that regularly backfires into "getting hit from nowhere" and subsequent frustration" rather unappealing.

Yes, I'm one of them. Community members had told me to try turning it off, and I did. The game became kinda unbearable and incredibly frustrating. (I understand majority of this community are used to its turning off)

That's why I can't understand why people can live without it, even tho I had played the game without it for a long time before it was implemented. It's likely that I'm spoiled. The main reason I tried to use it was because of more accurate or efficient kiting. But when I tried it, I ended up getting way more hits nonstop.

And because my lack of perspective from the other side, and my desire for better kiting, I assumed lag compensation is good for speed running, and hence, those options in op based on my limited understand of the community.

I mentioned animation cancellation just because it's closely related to lag compensation. I'm not really interested in that tho.

Archived