Megabase-ing yes or no

22 minutes ago, grm9 said:

since they added fig trees, ice crystallizer and removed lunar hail dealing damage to anything other than players, all of which are relevant mostly for mega bases 

Disagree on the crystallizer and fig trees as both are very useful for any kind of player who commits to a world.

That being said it's probably better the devs don't directly say as all a official response on what way people were intended to play would do is upset people and considering this is a sandbox survival it probably doesn't  need a fully intended way.

I firmly believe Klei never intended for players to be able to turn every biome in the game into their one massive Megabase home.

It only got that way because there was not features in the game that discouraged or even out right prevented it, such as for example having the shipwrecked Flurp fishies spawning randomly out of the turf in the Swamp biome.

or having Bee Hives/Killer Bee Hives/Swamp Tentacle Etc respawn like Catcoon Dens will now do if destroyed.

When you can clear out an entire biome so it’s a flat empty wasteland- Of Course the next step was always going to be Landscaping & turning the world into your personal Playground.

Not one to mega base myself, of course I put everything typically in a single area but not to the level of sprawling terraforming and farms and mountains of storage. The game has plenty of mechanics to discourage general base turtling, such as deerclops being the first building destroyer and antlion causing long lasting sinkholes that impair the ability to build in an area for a fairly long time. Doesn't stop people though, I remember seeing screenshots of players back in the solo days having world hopped like 200 times on day 1000 with their megabase paths lined with gold nuggets and having a small army of garden gnomes.

I use a base where I keep/store everything and put my farms but I don't go to the lengths that people go where they make everything symmetrical and decorate everything like they're baking a cake.

Some people treat this game like it's a building simulator like minecraft or something but it never was. It's a sand box survival game at its core. I honestly don't care if they add more building elements to the game I just hate when these people whine or get frustrated about the fact that there are things that want to destroy their means of survival (aka buildings/farms), which is the whole point of the game, that is challenging you to survive. If there's no challenge then there's nothing to survive and all that's left is a very lackluster farm simulator, which other games do better.

I don't believe they were considered when the game was first being made but like... ahah, that was eons ago.

Klei is more than aware of them, they've mentioned them several times in the past by title and have altered/added mechanics that fall into said domain countless times.
I can't say they're for, or against them, as they're a portion of the community that needs to be kept in mind just as casual small-time base builders are.

I think there is literally no point in being against megabasers, or trying to make their lives any worse.  It would be as dumb as removing weapons b/c you feel like there is too much combat in the game lol  You'd only serve to take options AWAY which is a lose / lose.

There are times where total destruction makes sense - but most of them stopped applying when DS switched to DST.  Being multiplayer, and especially pick up and drop focused has lead the game to become more peaceful between events.  Bosses aren't moved aside and turned optional to "make the game easier" for causals or megabasers.  They were put aside to facilitate pick up and drop play, and to allow more player coordination.  By putting them aside Klei can require you bring all of the right people and things so we get bosses like AFW, Klaus, CK, CC, etc that require it.  Imagine if AFW just showed up on your base on day 50 and terrorized you whether you had the necessary gears together or not?  Or if Toad just popped out of your alchemy engine and started sprouting up shroom trees under your kitchen knocking everything apart or Terrarium was a nightly event starting every full moon lol  As "fun" as these things might sound, they would just not work in the game as it is, and as Klei wants it to be.

The thing that frustrates me most about ppl who like to hate on megabasing is that they are basically attacking someone who has little to do with them.  If YOU aren't building a megabase you don't have much stake in what happens to their play style.  No one is invading your private shards with Wurt hell bent on terraforming the PK forest into a swamp and deposing the king.  If you don't want to mega base you just don't.  Trust me, rebuilding a fridge and a few crock pots is not the uber-l33t-haxx0r thanos level threat you think it would be to your survival... but to megabasers you're taking about wiping out a few weeks worth of full time job level dedication.  Making it to 2000+ days is literally more than a full time job for a month.  Do you even realize what kinda nonsense you are asking for???  Have some respect fr

Your structures are already at threat - just quit defending them if you want to see them all get destroyed.  Play without lightning rods, fire protection, or wetness protection, stop building food preservation - no one is stopping you from making the world as hard as you claim you want it to be.  You can just EAT the Deerclops eye if you're such an edge lord.  Play your game your way, and don't whine about others playing it their way.

At first when Klei first made Don't starve, Klei said that they were against turtling. In other words, Klei encouraged the player to go explore instead of stay at their base all day. Mega basing seems to be like turtling but Klei has added and removed features to help people who are mega basing. Klei has probably supported Mega basing due to the fact that people who mega base, have probably explored the entire world and have done most of the things to do in the game. It would make no sense for Klei to try to make the player leave their base and go explore if they have already explored everything and did everything.

35 minutes ago, Hi. said:

At first when Klei first made Don't starve, Klei said that they were against turtling. In other words, Klei encouraged the player to go explore instead of stay at their base all day. Mega basing seems to be like turtling but Klei has added and removed features to help people who are mega basing. Klei has probably supported Mega basing due to the fact that people who mega base, have probably explored the entire world and have done most of the things to do in the game. It would make no sense for Klei to try to make the player leave their base and go explore if they have already explored everything and did everything.

I mean megabasing isn't really turtling at all - megabasers will be running laps around their world farming bosses and ruins and such on CD so they can have 2 more waxed crops or build another 20 hojillion thulecite walls. Which is somewhat what you said but I feel like it's important to draw the distinction because the dislike of turtling is moreso the idea of never exploring the world and simply remaining in your base for survival. If there's anything that encourages that it'd be things like stonefruit or farm crops, but the former of those requires at least some exploration and the latter of those isn't really seen as OP, and is honestly mechanically rich enough to where people doing it won't be in danger of boredom.

I think it's a bit ridiculous when people talk about megabasing as if it's an unintended or "altering the vision of don't starve being an uncompromising wilderness game".

The aspect of building is advertised just as much as the survival aspect of the game, the store page even has several gifs of one of Glermz's megabases as pieces of media to show off the game. It's a way people found enjoyment playing the game, and it's been like this since the beginning.

This is something I feel like people should consider more when they discuss the game. The playerbase can often be split when it comes to perception of the direction they want the game to go in, but I believe it's very important to realize that multiple playstyles are valid.

11 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

I mean megabasing isn't really turtling at all - megabasers will be running laps around their world farming bosses and ruins and such on CD so they can have 2 more waxed crops or build another 20 hojillion thulecite walls. Which is somewhat what you said but I feel like it's important to draw the distinction because the dislike of turtling is moreso the idea of never exploring the world and simply remaining in your base for survival. If there's anything that encourages that it'd be things like stonefruit or farm crops, but the former of those requires at least some exploration and the latter of those isn't really seen as OP, and is honestly mechanically rich enough to where people doing it won't be in danger of boredom.

Yeah you are right, I definitely should have clarified that mega basing is not turtling and I do agree, mega basing is not turtling. Sorry if I created any confusion.

12 hours ago, hoppin mandrake said:

I just hate when these people whine or get frustrated about the fact that there are things that want to destroy their means of survival (aka buildings/farms), which is the whole point of the game, that is challenging you to survive

no one needs buildings to survive, it's extremely easy and probably even more optimal to live with nothing other than an alchemy at base to not waste time on building stuff, not to mention that if that gets destroyed, you'll just need to rebuild it and most things require things that require time but no skill to get, so you just hold space around trees/rocks for more time if they get destroyed and there are also decorations that don't impact survival at all  

also, you're trying to express hatred towards those people for no reason even though that does nothing, which you seem to have started doing often recently in case of different topics, you seem to talk about people that don't want to lose their inventory when transforming or have to rebuild their base as if they were inferior lifeforms 

Basing or just sandbox fun in general is an integral part of dst and it is hard to talk about megabasing as it's a vague term.

By 'megabasing' some people mean a build that spans across multiple biomes, with 2 tiles-wide cobblestone roads and dozens of purely decorative setpieces, while some people mean any base bigger than a kitchen, storage and a garden area.

As a creative person I believe that megabasing (the multiple biomes spanning option) should always be an endgame goal that players can so choose to take upon themselves, understanding the problems that come with it, not something that devs themselves encourage and cater to. For example, all megabasers have to deal with wildfires, red hounds, bearger/deerclops/antlion and lightning and they have no right to complain about these.

However Klei shouldn't add mechanics that outright forbid certain ascpects of creativity in general. Like I said, I am a creative person but not a megabaser; my average base consists of a central area with a firepit, science machines, wardrobe, furnace, a kitchen with 12+ drying racks, a garden+resource plants combo, a small pig farm and an apiary. That can usually amount to around half a biome worth of space. On top of that, I like to create some decorative setpieces away from my base: decorate the hermit island, build a better-looking pig village near the pig king, plant some berrirs/trees around the stage etc. Mechanics like Brightshades and Lunar Hail hurt me and I'm not a megabaser. Brightshades especially, they basically forbid any and all projects that involve replanting lots of plants or setting up a decorative garden turf (for example my aforementioned pig village gets regularly genocided by BS that infest farm turf).

There are megabases shown in the last trailer, they release a lot of cosmetics as dlcs and they remove/change most stupid non challenging mechanics that only affects megabasers because surviving in the game consists in having a thermal stone and a place to drop loot

5 hours ago, grm9 said:

no one needs buildings to survive, it's extremely easy and probably even more optimal to live with nothing other than an alchemy at base to not waste time on building stuff, not to mention that if that gets destroyed, you'll just need to rebuild it and most things require stuff that requires time but no skill to get, so you just hold space around trees/rocks for more time if they get destroyed and there are also decorations that don't impact survival at all  

also, you're trying to express hatred towards those people for no reason even though that does nothing, which you seem to have started doing often recently in case of different topics, you seem to talk about people that don't want to lose their inventory when transforming or have to rebuild their base as if they were inferior lifeforms 

Noone needs to build to survive but having specific structures does make survival easier therefore there is a point to them being destructible. For greater example noone needs to use anything stronger than a grass suit and a axe for most fights but using stronger gear does make a difference but you techinically could get by on the bare minimum much like a base.

That being said it always feels extremely flawed when I hear people go what's the point of making content that impacts base or resources of the player since survival is too easy when the reason survival is so easy is exactly those things. Often people will even pitch things completely unrelated to survival as solutions saying well this random thing that you'll almost never meet in regular play is far more impactful to your survival than this current thing that's directly impacting how you play.

I don't think megabasing should go away but I do also believe we should be able to have content that actually impacts survival as well for people who still want to play a survival game.

10 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I don't think megabasing should go away but I do also believe we should be able to have content that actually impacts survival as well for people who still want to play a survival game

Yes so why there aren't post complaining about how bland are acid rain and hail as survival mechanics??? People cried a lot for dumb things like "the game becoming easier cuz portals don't destroy bases and hail don't kill critters" but klei adds 2 easy to counter threads to the player and nobody complains

Most people that claim they want a true survival game what they mean is that they want flashy stuff happening around that doesnt make them "lose the game"

I really wish klei stops losing time adding destructive mechanics and use that time and resources on improving weather hazzards, add new mechanics like poison and things that affect hunger and max hp, true and not annoying famine events, etc

1 minute ago, arubaro said:

Yes so why there aren't post complaining about how bland are acid rain and hail as survival mechanics??? People cried a lot for dumb things like "the game becoming easier cuz portals don't destroy bases and hail don't kill critters" but klei adds 2 easy to counter threads to the player and nobody complains

Most people that claim they want a true survival game what they mean is that they want flashy stuff happening around that doesnt make them "lose the game"

I see so we're going with the time tested strawman that when people say they want survival content we want it to be as unbalanced as possible with no room for tweaks? Must be really easy to debate by shadow boxing.

36 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Noone needs to build to survive but having specific structures does make survival easier therefore there is a point to them being destructible

i doubt that destroying any structure in a world with CC/FW dead will make anyone in the server lack healing or food aside from newbies that may join if it's a public one 

That being said it always feels extremely flawed when I hear people go what's the point of making content that impacts base or resources of the player since survival is too easy when the reason survival is so easy is exactly those things

not really, it's very easy to survive without a base and that depends on what do you mean when saying "resources", since that's vague

Often people will even pitch things completely unrelated to survival as solutions saying well this random thing that you'll almost never meet in regular play is far more impactful to your survival than this current thing that's directly impacting how you play

that's very vague and unrelated to what i said                                     

20 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I see so we're going with the time tested strawman that when people say they want survival content we want it to be as unbalanced as possible with no room for tweaks? Must be really easy to debate by shadow boxing.

I didnt say everybody wants that. Read, I also want survival mechanics. I'm tired of not having good new survival mechanics

Idk what do you want and I don't care, I just pointed the amount of drama when klei removed damage to critters or rifts not spawning in the middle of bases and how silent was the forum once acid rain got nerfed. Any of those "true survival hardcore gamers" complained about such hard nerf

6 minutes ago, grm9 said:

i doubt that destroying any structure in a world with CC/FW dead will make anyone in the server lack healing or food aside from newbies that may join if it's a public one 

I feel it'd be hard for me to believe post rift players have no use for fridges, crockpots, and chests even more so on the latter with how many people complain about storage.

7 minutes ago, grm9 said:

not really, it's very easy to survive without a base and that depends on what do you mean when saying "resources", since that's vague

You can survive without a base just like you can fight with just a axe doesn't mean it's convenient or fun though does it?

8 minutes ago, grm9 said:

that's very vague and unrelated to what i was saying 

Okay here's a better question what do you consider a valid late game survival mechanic?

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

rifts not spawning in the middle of bases

Feel like this was hard to call a full blown drama as there were only two people who actually thought rifts spawning on base was even a remotely good idea.

5 minutes ago, arubaro said:

how silent was the forum once acid rain got nerfed

Ironically this is what lead to the hail drama as klei had said they'd tweak acid rain again after adding the barrier which satisfied both sides however the tweak never came which lead to people being more aggressive about them fixing lunar hail rather than sweeping it under the rug like acid rain.

That being said there was definitely talks about the acid rain nerf when it happened you probably just didn't see it as it didn't get as big due to klei saying they would tweak it.

There seems to be this idea that there's some huge elitist megabasing and survival faction that exists on this forum but in reality it's usually 2 to 3 people who hate anything related to survival or anything related to megabasing on both sides while the rest of the community blows both sides far out of proportion.

Archived