Megabase-ing yes or no

2 hours ago, mykenception said:

maybe we should just gatekeep the game from your opinions about how a player must play and act. You can dictate all you want in your server then, most of which people would immediately leave because they're constrained by how they can play.

what you're advocating now is the removal of the sandbox part of the game, and that's not Don't Starve: Together

Also, you're targeting eggs now? isn't that how it worked waay back then in DS? it even lets you refresh cooked eggs in to regular eggs and kept your bird alive indefinitely

I do not see the connection between "Megabasers bad" and "Pierogies OP". And sitting in the base all day is quite boring. There's lots you can do, things you can get. Especially megabasers, they gotta grind all that mats

Yes but you do not understand what you’re actually telling me right now do you? Your saying that to enjoy the game and be challenged by content I have to have this desire to build these megabases.

that’s LITERALLY what most the games boss fights boil down to, go fight Toadstool if you want some Mushlights, go fight Dragonfly if you want the Dragonscale Furnace etc etc..

But IF I have no desire to build these things in a base, where’s the content that’s aimed at my actual playstyle?

Why are there FIVE different Playstyle presets for this game but every single one of them all play Roughly the same?

Maybe that’s something Klei should actually THINK about in this 2024 New Year and Beyond then huh?

Why can’t there be a Harder Difficulty setting where crops only grow in specific climates & conditions, birds can’t be stored in a cage for infinity free egg supply, Beefalo can’t be shaved for wool so to obtain their wool you’ll actually need to sacrifice and kill them..

Why can’t this sort of mode exist outside of- whatever the heck it is YOU enjoy playing?

New Year, New Mindset, New Ways to Play Don’t Starve.

Thats My New years resolutions for this game franchise in 2024…

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But IF I have no desire to build these things in a base, where’s the content that’s aimed at my actual playstyle?

you just kill the bosses anyway to do the fight and achieve something, you could also say why play the game if playing it won't give you anything useful, similarly to how fighting a boss can be interesting even if it's drops aren't worthwhile for you 

20 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes but you do not understand what you’re actually telling me right now do you? Your saying that to enjoy the game and be challenged by content I have to have this desire to build these megabases.

that’s LITERALLY what most the games boss fights boil down to, go fight Toadstool if you want some Mushlights, go fight Dragonfly if you want the Dragonscale Furnace etc etc..

Few boss rewards are really "for megabasers."  Most of them have a practical use even for a small base and a 2-300 day game time.  While the bosses take some effort to learn, they can all be defeated solo.

Mushlights are a long lasting light for base.  Even if you only build 1 or 2 of these they are very useful.  Although they are a lot of effort so mostly I use a few astral detectors once I've set up CC.  The mushlights do provide better lighting though, so the effort is still rewarded with an upgrade when you get a round to beating it.

Dragonfly furnace has the obvious functions of providing a permanent heat source.  Very valuable for freeing up your time harvesting logs for fire pits.  You can leave a few heat stones around them to always have a hot rock when needed.  You can also cook on them easily any time as needed.  A single knockout of dfly yields materials for 1 such prize - perfect for even a solo camper who just wants winters to be a bit easier.

tbh I think what you're really trying to say here isn't that you're hating mega basers - but that you're hating rewards.  Luxury items that make the game easier as you go.  You've gone off about disliking them before and the answer is the same now - if you don't like it, then don't use it.  Its very easy to not build a furnace even if you defeat dfly.  I hope you enjoy playing DST enough that fighting a boss fun enough regardless of the reward.

Games Evolve, they change over time, and a lot of them.. more often than not offer up brand new types of experiences that it previously did not have.

While I never got to play the Gorge or Forge events, people describe them as being their own modes/games.

And I think in 2024… Klei needs to consider their 5 different playstyle presets and change them up to offer vastly unique and different gameplay experiences.

Extra Especially in the year 2024 Where games like Fortnite get 3 brand new modes in Racing, Survival Crafting, and Guitar Hero style Rhythm games.

when DST did the Crossover with Terraria it added new actual gameplay features into Terraria by giving it a Hunger Meter, and making being in the Dark actually able to KILL You like you’d expect from DS..

However on the DST side of that crossover all we got was a bunch of new skins and one new boss.

My point here is that outside of character reworks and the 20 something boss fights Klei have added to DST- It still has the same (now highly tiring) gameplay formula it’s always had…

Which is honestly a Shame considering that a game with a TON of Toggles to turn features on/off/more/less doesn’t have a wider variety of playstyle presets/Difficulties.

and I largely for the most part blame the Megabase mindset for that lack of depth.

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Your saying that to enjoy the game and be challenged by content I have to have this desire to build these megabases.

I'm saying PLAY HOWEVER YOU WANT. 

Your playstyle is around the roguelike type where you have throwaway worlds and gameplay that doesn't involve hours to be put in for progress, yeah?

I think Solo DS (Maxwell's Gate) does that already. DST isn't like that and its centered around multiple players, which already breaks whatever balance the game have if they're competent.

I've seen many of your comparisons involving diverse games that aren't even the same genre as don't starve and you've wished that Klei incorporate these mechanics to your liking. If the devs aren't meeting your standards, take it to feedback and to the devs. Blaming other players' playstyle is not the way

DST is a sandbox/survival game. You're free to ask and want more survival aspects but don't shoot down the sandbox too. 

Anyways, whatever people say won't change your mind and consolidate your extreme dislike about people making big bases, players thriving over survival mechanics and DST in general. It almost so interesting to study

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Your saying that to enjoy the game and be challenged by content I have to have this desire to build these megabases.

i not once see anyone force u to enjoy megabasing to enjoy the game. all that oppose u saying any playstyle is valid and noone should gatekeep how ones play.

one can kill all bosses and not utilize all blueprint they got, its their choice. people have different goal, thats mean there is many form of challenge. one people challenge themself by filling the world they live in into one big civilization. one challenge themself to kill bosses as fast as they can. one even have no goals they just play casually seeking the interaction with other player than looking for a grand progression in completing game content. and those thing is valid. 

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Again.. if your out at Sea chilling on your Boat Base

I have a feeling you think the game is about making bases an standing in them for extended periods of time.... I mega-base, until the end game, IM NEVER AT BASE. I'm busy. It's what i do when i'm finished - give me more things to do, or don't, the results will always lead back to wanting to do something otherwise why am i playing?

Mike, you have 12.7k posts and 90% of them relate to you being unhappy with how other people, people who do not play in your server or servers you play in, play. I'm not going to tell you to stop, I don't care if you do or don't, but it's going to have 0 impact on what people do with their time, they will play how they want, so will you.

Please look into methods of extending some cognitive empathy - You MUST understand that other people are separate from yourself and that the world is much more ambiguous in regards to outcomes, not everything is good/bad, not everything is correct/incorrect. Most things are subjective and that's ok, but your posts are bordering on lolcow sometimes. It gives me the same feeling as when someone has lipstick on their teeth - i don't want people to laugh. 

This is bait. I'm still biting.

Speaking as a player who enjoys building I feel like I never have enough time in the year to actually build. The larger my base gets the more time I spend away from it, grinding resources that I need for my next build. Yesterday I spent Summer clearing ruins and killing bosses for ornaments. In Autumn there were five herds of brightshades to clear from the traps, then it was time for WF Klaus and a trip to Frostjaw. I finally got home to a new spot where I was building and the moment I picked up the pitchfork Bearger started growling. Rift was opening so you know what that means.

Point is, lategame has plenty of distractions for players that discourages base-sitting. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the only people I've heard make the claim that megabasers just "sit around their base building a base that looks like a decorated cake" are the sort who haven't actually tried building a larger base. Because if they had they'd understand just how much time away from base is needed to acquire resources for building, and also how much time away from base is forced on the player because of seasonal dangers. It still feels like a survival game to me.

5 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

This is bait. I'm still biting.

Speaking as a player who enjoys building I feel like I never have enough time in the year to actually build. The larger my base gets the more time I spend away from it, grinding resources that I need for my next build. Yesterday I spent Summer clearing ruins and killing bosses for ornaments. In Autumn there were five herds of brightshades to clear from the traps, then it was time for WF Klaus and a trip to Frostjaw. I finally got home to a new spot where I was building and the moment I picked up the pitchfork Bearger started growling. Rift was opening so you know what that means.

Point is, lategame has plenty of distractions for players that discourages base-sitting. I could be wrong but it seems to me that the only people I've heard make the claim that megabasers just "sit around their base building a base that looks like a decorated cake" are the sort who haven't actually tried building a larger base. Because if they had they'd understand just how much time away from base is needed to acquire resources for building, and also how much time away from base is forced on the player because of seasonal dangers. It still feels like a survival game to me.

This. Absolutely this, very true points!

On 1/2/2024 at 6:52 PM, Yuuko said:

Megabasers are not the only ones who don't want their bases totaled.  This hate for megabasing is completely unfounded.  The game is not the way it is to cater to megabasers.  If you don't see that, then that's on you.

except that wasn't what I said at all you guys are the ones pretending that people who want survival content only want it because they don't use a base or any functions related to it and that is just a false narrative but more and more people keep hiding behind it when someone speaks against it. 

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

except that wasn't what I said at all you guys are the ones pretending that people who want survival content only want it because they don't use a base or any functions related to it and that is just a false narrative but more and more people keep hiding behind it when someone speaks against it. 

And the opposite when a lot of """"survivalist""" players think that megabasers don't want survival mechanics

10 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I think most of your comments seem like they aren't really aimed at me even thought you keep saying them to me.

Yes there ARE people who are actually hating on megabasers, people who accuse megabasers of ruining the game b/c "klei won't dare effect them negatively."  These people have often said they want more base destruction.  Not more "survival stuff" but specifically base destruction.  What's funny is we just got base destruction - the problem?  There is a solution.  Cave ins are added with pillars to stop them, and that upsets these ppl.  So put 2 and 2 together = what they are asking for is unmitigated base destruction.

So when you come in talking about "I don't want forced base destruction" I wonder if you're actually responding to me...  b/c that is exactly what I am saying to THEM.  I don't want base destruction that isn't able to be prevented.  That's all megabasers are asking for too.

Also I think a LOT of survival challenges can be made WITHOUT destroying a base.  It is really not the best target.  Destroying base is like destroying a boat, it just isn't the right thing to hit.  What we need are things like blizzard storms, hurricane winds, poison, etc.  Look at things that make the world less hospitable - but for pete's sake once someone has literally cleared every boss in the game multiple times we don't need to force-destroy their base so that we - on our own pretty little 2-300 day worlds - can feel special.

2 hours ago, arubaro said:

And the opposite when a lot of """"survivalist""" players think that megabasers don't want survival mechanics

Except they’ve proven time and time again that they don’t want any kind of mildly intrusive mechanics to disturb their base building fun- Rather that Mechanic completely destroys your base- Was as completely Harmless to your Base Structures (not Grass and Bushes) Mechanics like Diseases, these people are even against updating Pigmen so they Raid your base and steal your fridge/Crockpot dishes as seen in Klei’s animated short.

They are against these things: Because they don’t see them as a “Challenge” only minor Annoyances at best. 

which makes ME have to ask the question of just what “exactly” would be “challenging” to these people?

More completely optional boss fights requiring you to use a specific tool or do a specific thing to Summon?

And also I’ll be the first to GLADLY Be banned off these Forums for firmly standing up against the Developers or the Communities vision & fighting for what I believe in-

And that would be that: Boss Fights (and who can or can not accomplish them..) should not determine the overall difficulty of the rest of the game and it’s contents.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

these people are even against updating Pigmen so they Raid your base and steal your fridge/Crockpot dishes as seen in Klei’s animated short.

Who is against it may I ask? I don't recall knowing anyone actively against it.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

And also I’ll be the first to GLADLY Be banned off these Forums for firmly standing up against the Developers or the Communities vision & fighting for what I believe in-

Good thing klei doesn't let you design the game else if would suck.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Man, we are all tired of telling you that we want a challenge while you think that destruction is a challenge because it takes you 500 days to make a poor camp with cheap structures,  struggle to kill cookie cutters and varglets as wendy,  complain because you need to go to the ruins for the 1st time (biggest survival challenge since there is no food and light) to craft something decorative and cry because DF is so hard and grindy because 20 walls is out of reach for you. You did rollback and complain because you burned by your own mistake one single structure while you ask for mass destruction that will only affect people that actually can build something big on those 500 days without affecting their survival

You don't want a challenge, you just want to mock at people who has more skill and experience than you but don't have your unrealistic opinion on what a real challenge is because they actually played the game instead of being bored complaining in a forum cuz the 4 season surface content is getting rot for playing it in loop instead of playing something else or actually engaging with 70% of content you never experienced 

4 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Man, we are all tired of telling you that we want a challenge while you think that destruction is a challenge because it takes you 500 days to make a poor camp with cheap structures,  struggle to kill cookie cutters and varglets as wendy,  complain because you need to go to the ruins for the 1st time (biggest survival challenge since there is no food and light) to craft something decorative and cry because DF is so hard and grindy because 20 walls is out of reach for you. You did rollback and complain because you burned by your own mistake one single structure while you ask for mass destruction that will only affect people that actually can build something big on those 500 days without affecting their survival

You don't want a challenge, you just want to mock at people who has more skill and experience than you but don't have your unrealistic opinion on what a real challenge is because they actually played the game instead of being bored complaining in a forum cuz the 4 season surface content is getting rot for playing it in loop instead of playing something else or actually engaging with 70% of content you never experienced 

What is with you man? Why do you have such beef against me? Who gives a flipping flying saucer if I interact with boss fights or not? Like really you make it out as If Boss fights are the ENTIRE GAME, and I’ve already throughly expressed to Yourself & to Others- That there was once a time where the Dont Starve Franchise didn’t have a single Boss, and TWO DLCS later the bosses that WERE Added- Weren’t all of the games Content.

What is it that you honestly freaking think that I do when I play DS/DST? Surely there has to be SOMETHING To do besides fight the 70% of content that is Optional Boss fights right?

Maybe I want enjoy exploring new biomes with each content update, perhaps I choose to LIVE in the Lunar Grotto with Mushgnomes, or Maybe just Maybe… I don’t actually MIND Pirate Raids, The Wonkey Curse or Interacting with Moon Quay Island?

I get it you LOVE your bosses- But give me a Break there’s like 30 of them Already- When’s the last time we got a good sized content & resource filled Biome though huh??

There’s more to the game then just the bosses.. These forums are a complete Warzone, it’s like I can’t suggest more of the type of content that I DO Like, because my opinion is Invalidated by the Higher Ups when I choose not to interact with the type content I DONT Like.

Why? Why do you do this??? Why does ANYONE do this?

And Why can’t the game have multiple different playstyles to cater towards multiple different player preferences?

Do you tell the players who choose to play on “Relaxed” Mode that they’re not actually playing DST? & that any of their ideas or suggestions (for relaxed mode) would be unfitting for the game just because it doesn’t fit all modes?

Survival mode should not ever be allowed to be Endless, Resources Regrow on Endless… that’s the POINT of it being called endless.. 

But did resources also need to be able to Regrow on Survival Mode?

These are the Questions I want to bring to the conversation.

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What is with you man? Why do you have such beef against me? Who gives a flipping flying saucer if I interact with boss fights or not? Like really you make it out as If Boss fights are the ENTIRE GAME, and I’ve already throughly expressed to Yourself & to Others- That there was once a time where the Dont Starve Franchise didn’t have a single Boss, and TWO DLCS later the bosses that WERE Added- Weren’t all of the games Content.

What is it that you honestly freaking think that I do when I play DS/DST? Surely there has to be SOMETHING To do besides fight the 70% of content that is Optional Boss fights right?

Maybe I want enjoy exploring new biomes with each content update, perhaps I choose to LIVE in the Lunar Grotto with Mushgnomes, or Maybe just Maybe… I don’t actually MIND Pirate Raids, The Wonkey Curse or Interacting with Moon Quay Island?

I get it you LOVE your bosses- But give me a Break there’s like 30 of them Already- When’s the last time we got a good sized content & resource filled Biome though huh??

There’s more to the game then just the bosses.. These forums are a complete Warzone, it’s like I can’t suggest more of the type of content that I DO Like, because my opinion is Invalidated by the Higher Ups when I choose not to interact with the type content I DONT Like.

Why? Why do you do this??? Why does ANYONE do this?

And Why can’t the game have multiple different playstyles to cater towards multiple different player preferences?

Do you tell the players who choose to play on “Relaxed” Mode that they’re not actually playing DST? & that any of their ideas or suggestions (for relaxed mode) would be unfitting for the game just because it doesn’t fit all modes?

Survival mode should not ever be allowed to be Endless, Resources Regrow on Endless… that’s the POINT of it being called endless.. 

But did resources also need to be able to Regrow on Survival Mode?

These are the Questions I want to bring to the conversation.

I just mentioned 1 single boss. You complained agaisnt mobs that thread your survival, you say you want to explore biomes but you dont want to go to the ruins

I dont care how do you play but it matters when you start to atack other players' point view making false statements or claims that are actually the opposite of what you truly do in the game

You make a lot of noise with your ""feedback"", complains and attacks to megabasers when those megabasers enjoy more exploration and survival aspects of the game that you really want to experience

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Except they’ve proven time and time again that they don’t want any kind of mildly intrusive mechanics to disturb their base building fun- Rather that Mechanic completely destroys your base- Was as completely Harmless to your Base Structures (not Grass and Bushes) Mechanics like Diseases, these people are even against updating Pigmen so they Raid your base and steal your fridge/Crockpot dishes as seen in Klei’s animated short.

They are against these things: Because they don’t see them as a “Challenge” only minor Annoyances at best. 

which makes ME have to ask the question of just what “exactly” would be “challenging” to these people?

More completely optional boss fights requiring you to use a specific tool or do a specific thing to Summon?

And that would be that: Boss Fights (and who can or can not accomplish them..) should not determine the overall difficulty of the rest of the game and it’s contents.

Roguelikes have bosses as the primary hurdle to get over :O Is DST a roguelike?

11 hours ago, Spino43 said:

Who is against it may I ask? I don't recall knowing anyone actively against it.

He's probably refering to me, I don't like the idea, I think it'd keep me at base for too long - I wanna go fighting the big boys!

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Do you think maybe the game is boss focused then? Maybe it's not the game you think it is, thats why it feels strange when you ask for certain stuff

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe because it's a boss fighting game

They've been expanding exploration and basing solutions wise a lot as of recent while adding character/item updating and new bosses for those that are eager to fight.

My argument that the game been getter better for everyone in all directions, megabasers benefit more because we enjoy the game as a whole than just a part of it.

I'll argue with those that lack that kind of sight of the game, those that find that there's little content when we've got so much of it that many other games would not be able to offer. Klei been trying to offer a little of everything but they can't just pull a whole new experience out of their [redacted] without putting a years or two work to give a demo showing off that. They seem to be working on something bigger, and last year and before been kinda lighter (in a sense?) for content wise but also not really, adding quite a bit of QoL and character reworks, story animations, bosses, entirely new mechanics and base solutions.

They've been cooking content for everyone, stop calling out megabasers as the problem when the complaining is done is mostly by those that don't know what to do anymore in the game. You're bored. =w= We get that. Not our problem tho.

Archived