Megabase-ing yes or no

3 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

if u not using lightning rod u cant prevent u getting struck by lightning and burning your surrounding area

funnily enough you can prevent this in most cases by not sitting at base for too long, i've done two playthroughs without a lightning rod at base and didn't have lightning at base during the entirety of both of them including spring   

Just now, grm9 said:

funnily enough you can prevent this in most cases by not sitting at base for too long, i've done two playthroughs without a lightning rod at base and didn't have lightning at base during the entirety of both of them including spring

funnily enough not all have that kind of outcome since all chance is RNG. u can just stay a bit and it can just struck u. 

i once stop on the way of my resource gathering for couple of second just to open my bundle of food cus hungry and lightning strike my 40 pierogi and it burn to nothing. 

11 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

At no point did I say we shouldn't be able to resist base destruction every existing mechanic related to destruction has a counter currently why would you assume that if we hypothetically added a new one we suddenly would only have a fail state that we couldn't interact with? What I said was base is related to survival and what you guys are saying is "well um actually you could hypothetically survive without a base" which is why I keep using the axe argument because the logic is completely the same you could in theory survive with just a axe does that mean you never need another weapon? Heck you could survive without a weapon so does that mean weapons are suddenly worthless in terms of staying alive? That's literally the argument you guys are making about survival structures and it's just baffling to me.

Now I'll once again say I'm not saying we need more mechanics specifically aimed at base destruction than we already have but going by your very logic right here if you have a problem with more mechanics being added all you need to do is not activate the rifts. However going by what your saying here it seems like your goal is to insult peoples intelligence because what your basically saying here is the equivalent of saying we're too stupid to realize the difference between new content and just intentionally doing stupid things. It's like telling people who want a crockpot rebalance there's no problem with the crockpot simply make larger amounts of the bad dishes and bam now they work just as well as the good ones it's condescending and would piss people off right?

Because that is what some people are asking for - if they weren't, then they would see the base destruction that was recently added and not complain about pillars to counter it.  Or the nerf to hail and the counter Klei said they would introduce to answer to it.  They would not be hating on megabasers b/c such things are introduced in consideration of them.

Your axe argument:  If someone complained that the damage in DST was too high - I would tell them to use an axe, or play Wes, or otherwise just choose to use lower damage because that is what they say they want.  No one is forcing you to stack chili jelly with Wolfgang in wetness to kill a boss.  No one is forcing you to build a lightning rod, or carry an umbrella in rain, or kill bee queen for bundle wraps.  You don't have to rush ruins or bosses.  Hell, build your base IN the meteor field if that is what you want to see.  The game gives you the options.

People who want less have plenty of options for less.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, Yuuko said:

Imagine if AFW just showed up on your base on day 50 and terrorized you whether you had the necessary gears together or not?  Or if Toad just popped out of your alchemy engine and started sprouting up shroom trees under your kitchen knocking everything apart or Terrarium was a nightly event starting every full moon lo

You're making Mike blush with all these ideas, lmao

11 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

but saying things as preventable

it only makes sense to call something preventable if it can be prevented, i didn't say that it was consistent or that it's better than making a lightning rod 

On 12/28/2023 at 7:08 AM, Mike23Ua said:

it’s not about having your base spontaneously explode.. it’s NEVER been about having your base spontaneously explod

odd coming from a player that sets meteor fields to lots and actively base there because their want bases to explode

On 12/28/2023 at 11:33 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Usually.. DLC is used to extend the lifetime of a video game, Sometimes those DLCs are small and meaningless, or sometimes those DLCs can be better than the base game itself.. Either Way- The purpose of a DLC is to extend the shelf life of the product your playing.

And when it comes to DST, Klei has been doing free updates that when combined together, all make up a new DLC, but instead of offering up more of the same type of experiences that the base game & its two expansions provided players with- Klei instead has to “Tip Toe” around already “Established” Playstyles.

This is why ME and Megabasers go toe to toe like someone threw us in ring & rung a fighting bell.

Hamlet gave you the middle finger all over again when Pogs threw your belongings out of your storage chests and strong winds blew that loot right off the edge of the map never to be seen again.

Instead of getting these new experiences that are basically making players “re-learn” the game and how to survive, Klei has to Instead design content around what’s already been established.

EVERYTHING I’m trying to say here is Shipwrecked & Hamlet FORCED you to start over in a new environment learning how to survive all over again…

and when Klei tries to start doing that with late game progress in DST with the Shadow/Lunar Rifts mobs, world changes & weather effects- Players who already have their 500,000,000 day worlds built pitch a complete and total FIT about it.

But yet- Had Klei just released an actual new DLC with these features as a core part of a Shipwrecked/Hamlet sized expansion that forced you to relearn the game, significantly less people would have any complaints about it.

Instead I have to watch threads suggesting things like Brightshade Repellent & then be absolutely horrified that Klei might actually cave to peer pressure and add mechanics that let you almost completely ignore their existence.

Boys written a thesis about DLC's.... Mike it's just an acronym for downloadable content.... A patch could count, stop playing.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:11 PM, Mike23Ua said:

You can make all the arguments you’d like- but as for me I’m still going to feel like Megabasing killed Dont Starve.

It's a single player game.... if you feel megabasing ruined it, maybe stop megabasing in hamlet?

2 hours ago, Yuuko said:

Because that is what some people are asking for - if they weren't, then they would see the base destruction that was recently added and not complain about pillars to counter it.  Or the nerf to hail and the counter Klei said they would introduce to answer to it.  They would not be hating on megabasers b/c such things are introduced in consideration of them.

Oh I see so either we completely accept things as they are or we're just stupid and shouldn't be taken seriously no in-between no that doesn't sound condescending at all wonder where I even came up with that idea. Let's be real here this is coming from the angle that the only players that matter are megabasers and this is the mindset that started the whole survival players vs megabaser thing your not interested in compromise just follow what I want or I'll treat you like a idiot what's crazy is how common this mindset is on here.

2 hours ago, Yuuko said:

Your axe argument:  If someone complained that the damage in DST was too high - I would tell them to use an axe, or play Wes, or otherwise just choose to use lower damage because that is what they say they want.  No one is forcing you to stack chili jelly with Wolfgang in wetness to kill a boss.  No one is forcing you to build a lightning rod, or carry an umbrella in rain, or kill bee queen for bundle wraps.  You don't have to rush ruins or bosses.  Hell, build your base IN the meteor field if that is what you want to see.  The game gives you the options.

People who want less have plenty of options for less.

Your missing the point here what's been said is survival structures have basically no impact on survival which is very much like saying weapons and armor have no impact on combat because techincally you could get by without them it's such a flawed argument on both fronts but somehow it keeps being defended.

Also you guys keep coming at this front the idea that we're saying survival is too easy and that's why we want more survival mechanics despite the only ones saying this is you guys in the never ending battle to put as many words in our mouths as possible.

13 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

nope, its two different concept. if u not using lightning rod u cant prevent when u are getting struck by lightning and burning your surrounding area.
while armor u can basically can do fight without it if your kiting is on top tier. 

So would you say armor has minimal impact on combat? To the point of being basically useless?

elaborate on this, simple mechanic that exist like lightning, wild fire, food, temp, that can be done with not so instant and permanent solution ? i wanna see if you given the power to design it what do u see fit to have a challenge with no instant permanent solution ? (what ever that is u referering to since it took 44  dreadstone to make permanent pillar i guess its not so instant already?)
since i know all survival aspect in this game is easy enough to counter already. and as cheap as couple of rock and gold can prevent such event permanently

Eh there's  permanent solution to eatting with no input from the player? Please teach me as clearly I haven't become experienced enough. Same with temperature yea I know there are ways to gain immunity but even those come with some level of sacrifice and/or work. Even wildfires have trade offs for it's protections but that aside as I've already said I'm fine with early game mechanics being replaced for end game ones.

so is that so wrong to use counter mechanic to permanently defend such challenge ? if this your argument is basically saying, counter mechanic is needed to defend ur home and have it not destroyed will give us the feeling of being rewarded? 
now how u defend such a thing if the counter mechanic is not presented like when pillar was not exist? or when rift spawn in middle of someone base? with no counter mechanic is it just like RNG dooms day when u just wait and let it happen when the game said so? 

Let me ask you this what's the point of introducing a late game mechanic for it to disappear as soon as it's relevant? Does it add something to the experience for you? If so what I'm very curious to know.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:49 AM, chirsg said:

I just want hamlet. Either a modder make hamlet for dst or klei introducing a town and economy. 

No offense to many megabasers, but most megabases generally look similar after a while. I just want a proper city.

While that doesn't happen, I try to use The Architect Pack and make villages similar to those in Hamlet, but it doesn't have the same organicity

On 1/1/2024 at 5:01 PM, Mysterious box said:

This is false not going over why this not affecting me is just a lie again just read the old conversation.

If you re-read what you replied to, I didn't say that it doesn't affect you but that it is going to have a minimal effect on you compared to someone that builds hundreds of dreadstone pillars.

Everyone can also play by beating nearly all enemies with just a axe therefore no one needs a better weapon than a axe.

Maybe it looks like that to you when you have never played without building except sometimes for prototyping and any decently experienced player that tries it will see that it isn't a problem to survive indefinitely. Also this is a very disingenuous comparison, why would anyone use an axe as a weapon for their whole playthrough? Ham bat is quite cheap and for someone to have an easy time surviving without crockpot or farming, killing a lot of creatures you run into when exploring is a good idea.

Then mess with the world settings you've made it very clear you don't like the survival aspect of don't starve together multiple times but I don't understand why that has to be everyone else's problem? No we shouldn't have to lose the survival element of the game in the base game because you don't like survival mechanics especially not well designed ones like antlion. The settings exist for this very reason they are a major part of what a sandbox game is so if you want less survival in your sandbox change it.

Why isn't it the other way around and you mess with the world settings and leave the default as is? I wouldn't really care if klei added "new" survival only features or even a preset if I won't see it on majority of the public servers. Why shouldn't we be able to completely counter bad chore like mechanics? It seems like you are only supporting your side of the argument but there is a playerbase that doesn't enjoy these features. Maybe it is your opinion that Antlion is very well designed and new players that have to fight him a couple of times when they don't have thousands of hours played won't be bored of it but it isn't fun over a longer period and that is how these mechanics will make old players dislike them. If you want more of a hardcore survival experience just tweak your settings, there's often like a couple of people per thread like you that are very vocal for these mechanics, that doesn't mean that the game should be as you want it to be, why does it have to be everyone else's problem?

Dst is one of the most customizable in this aspect as well with the ability to lessen or straight up remove the negative effects of not managing your stats and/or removing any mechanic you find too tedious to manage it's of no fault of the game that you feel burned out by the game but actively choose not to make use of the tools at you disposal to make the game more enjoyable for you yourself and friends you may play with.

As it has been said to you that you can limit the food or increase the dangers with settings so that survival is more difficult, why don't you do that and instead want everyone to have to deal with new repeatable survival mechanics like Antlion that will waste my time permanently.

Until you remember that many players with thousands of hours don't know most good crockpot dishes, how combat works, how followers work, what's in the caves, whats at sea, how to get gems, how to sleep, how to get a winter hat, how to make their own food source, how to raise their sanity, how to farm, and various other very basic things. A tutorial would change a ton because most of the problems people have when it comes to actually becoming good at the game is learning the very basics but there's a faction of the community who keep trying to prevent this from happening claiming that not knowing the very basics of survival is somehow for the good of the player despite it being where many end up quitting out of frustration. With a very normal interaction being a newbie going in blind dying to something they could not have known about and wasn't prepared for then proceeding to beg to be resurrected with the response being "sure I'll raise you" or "find a way to raise yourself or get kicked" or finally "...". Another outcome being them becoming completely dependent on more experienced players because the resources to learn in a safer environment doesn't really exist for them in both cases becoming a veteran noob who knows very little about the overall game due to fear of upsetting other players on the server. For every player who goes on a forum or a video to learn what you the player would be hard pressed learning organically there are several others who just give up despite the game not being as hard as it seems once you learn the basics. But sure we can just keep gatekeeping basic knowledge if that's the "true" don't starve together experience but we can't keep pretending that don't starve together is just so much harder than every other game and that's the only reason new players have trouble adapting to it. Heck we have actual reviews where the reviewer never learned that kiting was a concept in the game thinking the goal of combat was to get strong armor and hold F.

There is no pretending, DST is harder than most survival games and it took me a really long time to learn it on my own before I became active on forums and watching youtube videos. Most other games don't have anywhere close to the amount of mechanics that you have to deal with in DST and content in the world is massive, tutorial wouldn't change much unless it was a few hours long and most players don't enjoy long tutorials as it limits them on what they can or are supposed to do.

Someone can also survive a full year without weapons or armor doesn't mean they don't make a big impact on their survival and gameplay experience not having them no? Yes as I've said I'm aware you can survive without these things in your base but having them and not does make a big impact on your survival and gameplay experience just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean it doesn't effect other people.

It looks to me like you are not understanding how easy it is, I suggest you give it a try and don't make these comparisons like not using armor or using only axe for a weapon when building really isn't needed as food is one of the most abundant resources in the game, as long as you have a good weapon like a ham bat and at least a football helmet for armor, there's nothing stopping you from surviving as long as you want and it won't really increase difficulty and I'd argue that it is easier to survive. Usually what makes survival a bit harder for me is that I am trying to rush things and build stuff so I am running low on food and always fighting nightmare creatures.

What your asking for here is for dst to become worse what's the point of being in survival mode if all aspects of survival disappear? At that point why not just make a creative mode if the end goal is for the game to just start playing itself? Personally I don't get where this above average effort your talking about comes in I think you might just be experiencing burn out and want a more relaxed experience but the game already offers this.

Why shouldn't I be able to overcome survival challenges and thrive even more compared to how it currently is if I play and invest enough time into gathering specific items? I want to have something to strive towards and getting rid of repeatable mechanics that waste my time that won't kill me on my day 10000 world would be amazing. Why isn't there a much more difficult boss fight compared to everything we currently have in the game with a long questline that drops best body slot item that negates summer/winter and has like 6 slots? The more things there are to do in DST that I can progress towards to is what I want to see. 

20 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Now I'll once again say I'm not saying we need more mechanics specifically aimed at base destruction than we already have but going by your very logic right here if you have a problem with more mechanics being added all you need to do is not activate the rifts. However going by what your saying here it seems like your goal is to insult peoples intelligence because what your basically saying here is the equivalent of saying we're too stupid to realize the difference between new content and just intentionally doing stupid things. It's like telling people who want a crockpot rebalance there's no problem with the crockpot simply make larger amounts of the bad dishes and bam now they work just as well as the good ones it's condescending and would piss people off right?

Literally countless players on the forums have explained why the option to turn on the rifts isn't a good argument, I don't know why you always bring it up. We don't really have a choice if we want to continue playing without missing a year + of development time that will be invested into rifts. Currently, the only problem i have with rifts is brightshades and everything else is fine or has a counter.

So I do want to repeat since it seems like it keeps going over people's heads that I do feel we should be able to defend our bases that was never a point I argued against what I said was we shouldn't get a passive solution for every mechanic heck I've even mentioned in the past I'd be fine with increasingly more items like the crystalizer which perma deals with the negative effects of pre rift mechanics so long as we get new mechanics in their place my main issue stems from what we get a new mechanic with a completely automated solution but that aside.

That's where we disagree, you want permanent chores. The only reason you are okay with lightning rod is because it existed for a long time like this but I bet you'd really like if klei made changes so that if it gets struck by lightning enough it gets damaged and the player has to repair it.

Ice Crystaleyezer is nearly useless even for most megabasers, the downside is too much for it to be worth aside for some decoration or very specific builds.

Losing your base is demoralizing but that's because your base is proof of your efforts towards survival and lets be real no matter how much you guys like to believe otherwise most people even survival player's bases aren't just a few random structures placed without care it takes a lot of space to make use not just survival crafts but food producers and boss structures so no matter who you are failing to protect your base is painful (unless your part of the supposed to exist players who play 100s of days without a base or building anything at all but I'm super skeptical a real person who legitimately plays that way exists). And it's meant to be painful and demoralizing when you fail because it's our job to defend our home which leads to the feeling of accomplishment for successfully doing so it's the risk that gives the feeling of being rewarded. For example if you played the game on super god mode with free crafting and a mod that made structures indestructible would you get the same enjoyment as playing the game normally? Would people even consider boss fights, surviving x amount of days, or megabasing special under those circumstances? I mean it definitely would be a more relaxed way to play but there's a reason people don't do that and such a thing tends not to be standard in most games.

That type of playstyle of not building a base just isn't fun, that's why it doesn't really exist. A lot of survival games don't have anywhere close to the amount of base destruction mechanics DST does, the only thing is that the mechanics in DST are easily counterable and it gets boring to have to do that over and over again (Antlion is the most annoying).

6 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Oh I see so either we completely accept things as they are or we're just stupid and shouldn't be taken seriously no in-between no that doesn't sound condescending at all wonder where I even came up with that idea. Let's be real here this is coming from the angle that the only players that matter are megabasers and this is the mindset that started the whole survival players vs megabaser thing your not interested in compromise just follow what I want or I'll treat you like a idiot what's crazy is how common this mindset is on here.

The thing is that you don't have to megabase but megabase players have to deal with chore like mechanics that you want to exist in DST, for example when you were against dreadstone pillars because they didn't need to be repaired.

There is no compromise to be had if you are going to suggest things that don't have a permanent counter, there is already a ton of survival mechanics in DST that can't be countered permanently and we don't need any more unless the current ones are decreased or changed.

6 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Let me ask you this what's the point of introducing a late game mechanic for it to disappear as soon as it's relevant? Does it add something to the experience for you? If so what I'm very curious to know.

It was never enjoyable or a good mechanic to begin with as you said so yourself. The only reason it is bearable currently is because of dreadstone pillars and they are so expensive.

People can make a base in DST that spans the entire constant (not including the Meteorfield biome because lol no megabasers dare to base there..) because the game isn’t designed to fight back against you doing it.

Case in Point: Your allowed to put every farm corp available into your base & then just sit around a chill listening to Walters Campfire Stories BECAUSE the game doesn’t have more Demanding Gameplay. You don’t have to go to a specific biome or  carefully tend to a few crops that only grow in Caves and only in the areas where some small amounts of sunlight can still shine through.. Nope! You can build every crop all right there in one place how convenient for a game called “Don’t Starve” right?!

Speaking of Not Starving.. I was under the impression that all the animals in the game would be attempting to Not Starve, so for example- If a Beefalo gets hungry it will graze a blade of grass or sapling, if a rabbit starts starving it’ll attempt to steal Berry/farm crops that are nearby, if spiders start starving they’ll behave more eradicably and fight for their life more, etc etc..

My point is that you only built a Megabase because the rest of the game world AROUND You doesn’t feel like it’s inhabited by things that are also equally just trying to Survive. Even if that means getting rid of You in the process..

Pigman Villagers are quick to punch Webber in the face, but they’re not designed to become hostile towards you and refuse gold trades until you ease their hunger pains.

Maybe I’m just suggesting things that have no business being in DS, MAYBE DST has strayed too far gone from DS/SW/Hamlet to be saved now.. Whatever the case may be-

Megabasing isn’t the answer.

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

(not including the Meteorfield biome because lol no megabasers dare to base there)

it's not just megabasers, everyone except you avoids basing there

no one wants their base to explode and the materials they worked for to get deleted, it's not just megabasers

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point is that you only built a Megabase because the rest of the game world AROUND You doesn’t feel like it’s inhabited by things that are also equally just trying to Survive. Even if that means getting rid of You in the process.

odd, how is this connected to mega basing

it's a sandbox game, players can opt in to make a base if they want to. And megabasers are the ones who have beaten every single thing in their world and are constantly farming those for drops. If creatures have the behavior like you said I doubt it would do anything for a player expanding their base

if you want to terraform a location you'd be removing almost everything there and place the things  you want, tho I do like rabbits harvesting some berries, imagine if we could make it an auto farm for gobblers

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Speaking of Not Starving.. I was under the impression that all the animals in the game would be attempting to Not Starve, so for example- If a Beefalo gets hungry it will graze a blade of grass or sapling, if a rabbit starts starving it’ll attempt to steal Berry/farm crops that are nearby, if spiders start starving they’ll behave more eradicably and fight for their life more, etc etc..

My point is that you only built a Megabase because the rest of the game world AROUND You doesn’t feel like it’s inhabited by things that are also equally just trying to Survive. Even if that means getting rid of You in the process..

Pigman Villagers are quick to punch Webber in the face, but they’re not designed to become hostile towards you and refuse gold trades until you ease their hunger pains.

Maybe I’m just suggesting things that have no business being in DS, MAYBE DST has strayed too far gone from DS/SW/Hamlet to be saved now

TBH the idea u shown here is not bad at all, mobs having their own needs by eating out resources around or maybe things stealing from u like piko or pog, which this replied have nothing to do with part of player base choosing to have their endgame endlessly by doing megabase. 

there is no specific answer from the beginning tho. this is a sandbox survival game, you do u, u can just end ur loop and make new start or just thrive endlessly in same world.
u can become a minimalist that didnt do any pretty build, and only eat monster meat the entire run is also legit, noone will say "oh, thats not how u do this game, u should do this instead"

im not sure u and other who called themself "survivalist" part of dont starve need to point finger to megabaser. especially after pillars and hail nerf(they said they will remove the nerf into counter mechanic soon) just because people who have to defend big part of their base and asking for counter mechanic, which is a normal thing to have in survival games, and dev approve it and pillar adapted to remove the threat all together but with big price. i wonder if these people even once make a area safe using full dreadstone pillar and see how much resources it needs to do that. and imagine aesthetic aspect also in mind. we wont make a single pillar in middle just to maximize the safe area for base. 
so it will took us twice as many to do that. 
if only the rift isnt uprooting and destroying everything around we might not really care if its spawned in middle of our base. 
the thing is, having something where u have no way to survive is not a good survival content.

why cant people just grasp the meaning of survival game?
u survive cus there is counter mechanic.
if there is no counter there is no survival.
as simple as that. there no matter how people choose how big their base are. megabaser is just people who refuse to having day 1 all over again, they just have a goal that might not all player base have capability to do so. the willing of doing something for thousands of days is not easy. 
sandbox game is meant to have endless ending by making big base, pretty shrine etc.
if i can quote other game like grounded. u can have proper ending by having credit scene at the end of run. but some people have their own way to have the game run endlessly by building tons of gimmicky build.
maybe one day there is a rolling end screen of dont starve together. but i believe there is many people who will stay on the same world and choosing to build out their world instead of watching the credits.

the game is sandbox-survival, you can megabase, bosh rush, speed run, do minimalist challenge run, mod everything or whatever. 

Don't gatekeep the game from various playstyles. Players can play however they want, it's their world either way. 

23 minutes ago, mykenception said:

the game is sandbox-survival, you can megabase, bosh rush, speed run, do minimalist challenge run, mod everything or whatever. 

Don't gatekeep the game from various playstyles. Players can play however they want, it's their world either way. 

Maybe the game SHOULD Gatekeeper things just a little bit though? If a player had to go out and steal their eggs from Tallbird Nests, Pengull or any other type of egg producing mob (Shipwrecked Snakes) rather than Just needing to cage up one small bird and pump it full of monster meat for the rest of that birds life- You wouldn’t HAVE so many players relying on Pure OP (Pierogi) for all their Hunger & Health Healing needs.

People can Megabase, because up until Lunar and Shadow Rifts- The game did very little to actually Discourage it.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You wouldn’t HAVE so many players relying on Pure OP (Pierogi) for all their Hunger & Health Healing needs

that shouldn't be changed because pierogi are already suboptimal and it's better to use beefalo or jellybeans or blue shrooms 

My point is that prior to Wild Rifts, there was very little that you needed to actually leave your base to solve, for example-

You make it to your first ever Winter & you’ll have your base wrecked by Deerclops up until you learn to keep it out your base. Make it to Spring and your base will likely go up in flames only once to lightning strikes and then you learn to craft a lightning Rod, Bearger spawns nearby you learn not to leave food in your cockpots that he will want to munch on. Summer your base will catch fire once in summer but after that you learn to build Flingos or other fire preventive things and then your base goes right back to nothing ever challenging it.

That WAS until Wild Rifts, Now if a group of Brightshades spawn inside your base you’ll need to actually abandon that base go out into the world, gather resources to craft gear designed to deal with Brightshades and THEN come back to your base to deal with the problem.

Or you learn not to put all your farm crops and berry bushes in your base for Brightshades to posses in the first place.

13 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Megabasers are not the only ones who don't want their bases totaled.  This hate for megabasing is completely unfounded.  The game is not the way it is to cater to megabasers.  If you don't see that, then that's on you.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

People can make a base in DST that spans the entire constant (not including the Meteorfield biome because lol no megabasers dare to base there..) because the game isn’t designed to fight back against you doing it.

Lightning, rain, frog rain, summer heat and winter chill, deerclopse, bearger, antlion - there are plenty of things fighting back against you doing this.  Recently we added boulders in the caves and we have hail on the surface, BS plants, etc.  The only difference is that you claim you want to see this base destruction but YOU build the counter measures.  Quit building them, and quit pestering people who do.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point is that prior to Wild Rifts, there was very little that you needed to actually leave your base to solve, for example-

You make it to your first ever Winter & you’ll have your base wrecked by Deerclops up until you learn to keep it out your base. Make it to Spring and your base will likely go up in flames only once to lightning strikes and then you learn to craft a lightning Rod, Bearger spawns nearby you learn not to leave food in your cockpots that he will want to munch on. Summer your base will catch fire once in summer but after that you learn to build Flingos or other fire preventive things and then your base goes right back to nothing ever challenging it.

That WAS until Wild Rifts, Now if a group of Brightshades spawn inside your base you’ll need to actually abandon that base go out into the world, gather resources to craft gear designed to deal with Brightshades and THEN come back to your base to deal with the problem.

Or you learn not to put all your farm crops and berry bushes in your base for Brightshades to posses in the first place.

The whole point of a base is to optimize gameplay loops that can be done in your base. If I can have a grass or twig farm in one spot instead of having to go to a savanna biome every time I need grass, then that frees up time for me to do other things, and there's always things to do outside of the base. There's always ruins runs. There's always bosses to fight. There's content that's exclusive to oceans. You say it's boring to have bases because then players just sit in bases, but then you say megabasers turn the whole world into their base. So if the whole world is the base, and I'm always in my base, then I'm always anywhere in the world (?) And somehow that's less "survivalist" than just empty savannas with scattered grass tufts or deciduous biomes with just pigmen and catcoons?

2 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

The whole point of a base is to optimize gameplay loops that can be done in your base. If I can have a grass or twig farm in one spot instead of having to go to a savanna biome every time I need grass, then that frees up time for me to do other things, and there's always things to do outside of the base. There's always ruins runs. There's always bosses to fight. There's content that's exclusive to oceans. You say it's boring to have bases because then players just sit in bases, but then you say megabasers turn the whole world into their base. So if the whole world is the base, and I'm always in my base, then I'm always anywhere in the world (?) And somehow that's less "survivalist" than just empty savannas with scattered grass tufts or deciduous biomes with just pigmen and catcoons?

Again.. if your out at Sea chilling on your Boat Base & a bunch of pirate monkey spawn to rob you blind of your treasures one of two things would have Originally Happened: 

1- Your loot got stolen when you did not defend yourself from attack & you then needed to acquire a Treasure Map to find the location of your stollen pirate goods and go Re-dig them back up.

Or 2- You fought the Monkeys off which in turn, filled your inventory with cursed Trinkets until YOU Became a Monkey and needed to drop everything your currently doing to go take Bananas to the Monkey Queen so she reversed your Monkey Curse.

Both of which were designed by Klei with the intention to get the player to have activities to do that required leaving the safety of their base.

Its clear to me that Klei has this desire to add a certain type of content into DST, that being not so completely optional Boss fights you can armor up and go fight when your good and ready for them.

However it’s also clear that due to the peer pressure and negative backlash that they choose to bury these features in a forgotten realm somewhere rather than expand and improve upon them.

Because Uh Oh People who enjoyed building a bunch of boats in the ocean and basing at sea on a floating fortress aren’t having any fun anymore! 

I hope someday Klei will rework a lot of the games existing content and actually make pirate raids and the Wonkey curse fun parts of the game…

But so far, nothing in life has ever turned out the way I hoped it would.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Again.. if your out at Sea chilling on your Boat Base & a bunch of pirate monkey spawn to rob you blind of your treasures one of two things would have Originally Happened: 

1- Your loot got stolen when you did not defend yourself from attack & you then needed to acquire a Treasure Map to find the location of your stollen pirate goods and go Re-dig them back up.

Or 2- You fought the Monkeys off which in turn, filled your inventory with cursed Trinkets until YOU Became a Monkey and needed to drop everything your currently doing to go take Bananas to the Monkey Queen so she reversed your Monkey Curse.

Both of which were designed by Klei with the intention to get the player to have activities to do that required leaving the safety of their base.

Its clear to me that Klei has this desire to add a certain type of content into DST, that being not so completely optional Boss fights you can armor up and go fight when your good and ready for them.

However it’s also clear that due to the peer pressure and negative backlash that they choose to bury these features in a forgotten realm somewhere rather than expand and improve upon them.

Because Uh Oh People who enjoyed building a bunch of boats in the ocean and basing at sea on a floating fortress aren’t having any fun anymore! 

I hope someday Klei will rework a lot of the games existing content and actually make pirate raids and the Wonkey curse fun parts of the game…

But so far, nothing in life has ever turned out the way I hoped it would.

I fail to see where they caved on this, though? Nightmare pig, frostjaw, and moon zombie bosses are all recent additions that can't be fought in the comfort of your base.

If you want planar materials, you mostly have to venture to rifts that are outside of your base.

And of course pseudoscience still can only be done in the ruins.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe the game SHOULD Gatekeeper things just a little bit though?

maybe we should just gatekeep the game from your opinions about how a player must play and act. You can dictate all you want in your server then, most of which people would immediately leave because they're constrained by how they can play.

what you're advocating now is the removal of the sandbox part of the game, and that's not Don't Starve: Together

Also, you're targeting eggs now? isn't that how it worked waay back then in DS? it even lets you refresh cooked eggs in to regular eggs and kept your bird alive indefinitely

I do not see the connection between "Megabasers bad" and "Pierogies OP". And sitting in the base all day is quite boring. There's lots you can do, things you can get. Especially megabasers, they gotta grind all that mats

Archived