If there isn't anything ready to be beta tested, beta branches should have experimental concepts.

chirsg

14 hours ago, chirsg said:

- Applying wax to fully grown crops
We should be able to add wax to fully grown crops to make them a permanent decoration. 

Let's add this to my dream beta.

I would also like if converting honey comb to beeswax gave 2 per craft to make this easier. They could increase the cost for wax paper if they want to avoid changing that.

- Hats on bunnymen, pigmen and merms shouldn't degrade

For any headgear that requires a sewing kit, I don't believe it's that unbalanced for them to wear it indefinitely.

This could be tested in a beta to figure out if any exploits arise.

4 minutes ago, chirsg said:

- Hats on bunnymen, pigmen and merms shouldn't degrade

For any headgear that requires a sewing kit, I don't believe it's that unbalanced for them to wear it indefinitely.

This could be tested in a beta to figure out if any exploits arise.

Why? Are they repairing it?

2 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

I like that idea. If they're entering their houses, why not have it repair while they're inside? Makes sense. Logically sound and consistent.

I can justify all my ideas because they're all good ideas. Funny, smart, good, kind, breathtaking and brave. 

Just now, chirsg said:

I like that idea. If they're entering their houses, why not have it repair while they're inside? Makes sense. Logically sound and consistent.

I can justify all my ideas because they're all good ideas. Funny, smart, good, kind, charming, breathtaking and brave. 

image.png.1690d71ccf2dabf6ea1c516beace250b.png
Am I wrong? @gamehun20

I disagree with the whole “experimental concepts in the beta” thing.

A: many experimental concepts will never enter the programming stage, so obviously cant be put in the beta.

B: if a concept is somewhat fleshed out and abandoned, gamers will cry, you cant give them something and then take it away

C: they need the freedom to experiment without judgement. Pretty self explanatory, sometimes you gotta throw paint at a wall and see what shows up, then redo it with what you’ve learned

46 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

I don't care about logic, i want to have my merm village wear hats without replacing them.

3 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

I disagree with the whole “experimental concepts in the beta” thing.

A: many experimental concepts will never enter the programming stage, so obviously cant be put in the beta.

B: if a concept is somewhat fleshed out and abandoned, gamers will cry, you cant give them something and then take it away

C: they need the freedom to experiment without judgement. Pretty self explanatory, sometimes you gotta throw paint at a wall and see what shows up, then redo it with what you’ve learned

Yeah it is pointless since even if they wanted to do it, they could just include it in a regular beta as a side thing.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Catteflyterpill said:

I wonder if devs are afraid of stepping on people's toes implementing these things. Obviously they'd be really nice, especially for console players, I'd imagine. But if they try to I'm sure some people might get upset for them 'copying' the mods, or taking away the mods audience, wanting compensation, or anything like that. At the end of the day I think official implementation is the best thing for everybody, but I can see why it might be awkward to navigate.

They keep blatantly ripping off mods like Uncompromising Mode (certain features), shift click to drop items (mod became irrelevant), pause the game (mod became irrelevant), and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

18 hours ago, chirsg said:

- Applying wax to fully grown crops
We should be able to add wax to fully grown crops to make them a permanent decoration. 

Let's add this to my dream beta.

I wish that we could put rotten giants on the scales, I built an entire area for that, and when the veggies spoiled, I got the surprise.

9 minutes ago, Valase said:

I wish that we could put rotten giants on the scales, I built an entire area for that, and when the veggies spoiled, I got the surprise.

Funny enough you can put the tiny ones on a scale, even tho you can barely see it. Clearly this is fresh food favoritism

42 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

Funny enough you can put the tiny ones on a scale, even tho you can barely see it. Clearly this is fresh food favoritism

Wait, really?
now we need to be able to put the seeds too, no veggies will be left behind!

I think that I will make a post on the suggestions forum about all the "QoL's" I would like to see in game. On my current world I am decorating more and realizing some things (I did not know that potted fern was a structure, not an item)

12 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

the mod was made by the developer that added the pause button

Hands down the best change the game had, the fact that I had to stop everything that I was doing in order to play the game was horrific.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:03 AM, SapoLover said:

It's not necessary. There are mods that already put in community ideas in the game that everyone uses, loves and want. It's even more clearer than experimental features to tell what players want, and yet the most popular and reasonable are still not implemented.

Reveal hidden contents

Geometric placement:
image.jpeg.8c5c33834a941284bc8a7434c2aaacb9.jpeg

Gesture wheel:
Steam_2.jpg.3c454f69733d7f7f9294206c9f87ff8f.jpg

Too many items ("creative" menu):
Steam_3.jpg.f252f5149f461c0f4d44674cb377cfb4.jpg

No thermal stone durability (yes, debatable):
Steam_4.jpg.e7540ccfc42e120f7bd5c0b98402784b.jpg

Show nicknames:
Steam_5.jpg.3fbc7a4ae2f981003b22cab1510a795f.jpg

Girlfriend:
image.jpeg.8d806bd959f2c3dffeb0e7eed8176294.jpeg

And many others.

I've reread what you've said and I did go too hard in the paint criticizing your mod point, but when I think about it more, I still do stubbornly believe that mods server side aren't a good solution to adding mods in, no matter how good the idea is. Server side mods, in my experience aren't simply just 1 or 2 QoL mods. They're a dozen.

You typically don't get one without the other, and it becomes flooded and I do believe that not every single mod can possibly make it in game.

I'll give one example in HP display. It's a server side mod that many players elect to have and have alone. It's a fantastic mod, and something I very hazardously use myself but it's something I don't believe will ever be added in as an item, like for example, 'craftable glasses' that displays mob health because if that's introduced, a mod could emerge that doesn't even require the said item because the data about mobs is available to the player if that makes sense. Not sure the best way to communicate this, but I'll expand specifics if I can.

However a lot of the mods you list on the collapsible don't apply to my stated topic, as they're clientside. When it comes to clientside mods, requests to put them into the game are all but redundant as they don't change the game for everyone else.

Geometric placement should be something that is included for every single player independent of mods, but that's none of my business as the clientside mod already functions as well as it needs to. It's sad, but I'll concede native geometric placement is unnecessary, but if it's ever added, I think it would be a fantastic addition.

Anyway, to go back to my initial point, often times, good ideas for mods to implement in the base game are often not things you'll find that are stand alone and can get saturated.
unbreakable thermal stone won't be the only mod that is in a world and will extremely often be paired with extra equip slots, separate backpack and amulet slots, auto stackers that make every item in game behave like monster meat (Which I love, but can understand if it never makes it in game) and unkillable beefalo.

I could go on. I don't want my ideas to be in league with mods that are unbalanced, because putting wax on vegetables and repairing a glommer statue will not affect survival whatsoever. 

I shouldn't have said your opinion was discarded when mods are in the mix, but I've hopefully expanded politely on why I disagree with mods as a solution to problems in game.

3 hours ago, chirsg said:

I've reread what you've said and I did go too hard in the paint criticizing your mod point, but when I think about it more, I still do stubbornly believe that mods server side aren't a good solution

I fully agree, mods are never a good solution to a problem, they’re inherently flawed because they’re not official and will eventually become unsupported. Its great that they exist, but they solve no problems and aren’t super relevant to most discussions

3 hours ago, chirsg said:

because putting wax on vegetables and repairing a glommer statue will not affect survival whatsoever. 

I think your idea itself is fine. It’s not anything gamebreaking, but its not super clever or transformative either.

i’ve heard the glommer one for literal years as a matter of fact.

but they’re also not changes that do anything practically speaking, it’ll just be more decoration. Which is cool for megabasers but just isn’t something i care about

i disagree. making small update each and implement it one by one is kinda pain, if thinking in developer shoes. since u not only made the update for pc but u need to implement it to all platforms. imagine patching little by little and there something needs to get fixed well get hotfixes each time and u need to restart server to make everyone able to rejoin the server cus the server " outdated". pc player had it good enough since every update pc user get it first hand, either it in beta branch or just small hotfixes

This kind of feels a bit like how QoL updates have kind of been, where devs take time to look at common suggestions and try to implement them. Maybe some more QoL updates but focused more on small suggestions might be interesting, but I think having a rotating beta would probably be a bit too much to manage. Especially with how the community can get towards large content updates not coming out full/fast enough and unimplemented content.

Minecraft has the live branch & also the preview branch (they’re two separate apps ) but I don’t think DST really needs it to be honest..

With as much content as DST already has, there is more then plenty of things for players to find to do to keep their time occupied in-between Betas.

There is so much obscure content in DST that a lot of people either don’t know about or just don’t take the time to enjoy.

turning an entire biome into a Carrat race track is fun, giving pig king championship belts to engage in a Pig King mini game is fun.

And I just really don’t think DST needs an always active beta branch.

I think I remember one of the Devs at some point mentioning that they had a written doc or something about all the most common and wanted suggestions for QoL stuff, but I can't recall who or if this was even a thing. It was left early in an early suggestions thread when they were releasing some of the first major QoL updates I think.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:45 PM, Cheggf said:

They keep blatantly ripping off mods like Uncompromising Mode (certain features), shift click to drop items (mod became irrelevant), pause the game (mod became irrelevant), and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Explain more because alot of the qol mods should have been in the game in the first place such as quick drop. Though what came from uncomp mode?

14 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Explain more because alot of the qol mods should have been in the game in the first place such as quick drop. Though what came from uncomp mode?

AG fight is almost lifted from uncomp mode. There's also things that are somewhat similar like acid rain.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

AG fight is almost lifted from uncomp mode. There's also things that are somewhat similar like acid rain.

What if... they have both been taking suggestions from the same community. Like how people wanted pause, therefore a mod for it. People want pause, therefore an update for it.

Wild theory I know.

- Allow us to write on maps

Would be nice to be able to identify objects more clearly on our maps. Even though things such as map markers were added for the chess piece parts, maps are generally way too messy and you're playing Where's Wally (Waldo) for 10,000,000,000 minutes trying to find what you need to find on the map and then before you know it, it's day 21.

It's such a pain. If I have to commission a mod for it, I'd have to spend money. 

Like, real world money. 

I don't want to have to do that. 

Archived