If there isn't anything ready to be beta tested, beta branches should have experimental concepts.

chirsg

There should be an active beta branch at all times. I'll elaborate. There are concepts that do not exist within the game currently which I believe should be tweaked.

Between small QoL features and perhaps small buffs.

I'll give two examples 

Message in a bottle: They should generate a treasure chest every single time.
Before anyone criticizes, you can't tell me it would be overpowered or broken, because we have not yet experienced it. 

What better opportunity to test it than a beta branch? We could talk about hypotheticals all day, but playtesting would go a long way to determine whether or not something like this could be justified in game.

The reason I propose this is the time:reward ratio of being in the ocean. There is little to no reward for sailing and it's quite frankly, a big time sink.

Having a solid reason to stay out at sea in productive treasure hunting would go a REALLY long way. And if it does become overtuned, it's only a beta. It doesn't need to make it onto the main branch. 

- Repairable glommer statue using marble, and perhaps a sketch drop for killing glommer
Having an eyesore in a broken glommer statue stump just robs the world of beauty. I think there should be a test to figure out if glommer statue being repairable is truly overpowered and unbalanced.

There is no way to know if it affects survival and the difficulty of the game to repair glommer's statue if we used marble on it to repair the said statue. 

And if for some reason this causes a server to just cruise through the game to easily, it would only be a beta and doesn't need to make it into the main branch.

This would be a cool idea and I could see it being fun to mess around with. What if we had a small patch where splumonkeys and shadow splumonkeys were passive towards wonkey? Obviously this isn’t original, but it would be neat to see for a bit.

More importantly, I think that there should be another change along with this - the beta forums are split up into suggestions and non suggestions. It’s been a reoccurring issue for a while, where I load a new beta expecting to see interesting suggestions and test ideas, just to see “Don’t starve together is RUINED,” “KLEI DEVELOPERS SUCK,” and “WE NEED BETTER UPDATES.”  These criticisms are valid in their own rights (usually), but I personally think these criticisms should be taken elsewhere on the forum, so that people who enjoy the fact that we even get updates in the first place can look through and enjoy the beta without being dragged down by the people who want more. 

1 hour ago, Louru said:

More importantly, I think that there should be another change along with this - the beta forums are split up into suggestions and non suggestions. It’s been a reoccurring issue for a while, where I load a new beta expecting to see interesting suggestions and test ideas, just to see “Don’t starve together is RUINED,” “KLEI DEVELOPERS SUCK,” and “WE NEED BETTER UPDATES.”  These criticisms are valid in their own rights (usually), but I personally think these criticisms should be taken elsewhere on the forum, so that people who enjoy the fact that we even get updates in the first place can look through and enjoy the beta without being dragged down by the people who want more. 

Even if people are not being constructive with these posts they are still sorta useful for Klei to see what the mentality of different types of DST players are. And to gauge the general response of the newly released stuff. Klei have got really good at pickin through the garbage topics to find pieces of useful feedback.

Examples off the top of my head, they made the hardwood hat protect you from earthquake debris and made the umbralla into a deployable rain shield. Both these ideas came from beta forum users.

These over the top critical posts usually invoke other more sensible forum users to begin constructively troubleshooting whatever problem it is.

I absolutely agree with this, but I would still like the option to ignore those posts until impressions are better formed. Also, if I recall from my time on the forum, both the hardhat and umbrella were suggested in a less hyper-critical way. I’m not talking about the posts that say “Why doesn’t x do this?” or “Why didn’t Klei think of this.” Those posts are nice, I’m talking about the more drastic posts that illicit negative perceptions. I read all of those posts, but I wish I could have an option to see them separately from other posts. Not really a need, but would improve the beta forum experience.

Instead of shoving a tiny miniture thing into a beta, they can just add it to the base game and see how everyone treats it since it is way more effictive since there are much more people, and it is way more likely to be used in practical survival worlds.

Or they can choose to shove them in a beta with bigger stuff.

6 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Instead of shoving a tiny miniture thing into a beta, they can just add it to the base game and see how everyone treats it since it is way more effictive since there are much more people, and it is way more likely to be used in practical survival worlds.

Or they can choose to shove them in a beta with bigger stuff.

Problem is, I've been asking for repairable glommer for so long, I'm convinced klei thinks it's an overpowered mechanic that will make survival trivial. 

I argue that there is only a small benefit of general morale

If happiness causes the game to be unbalanced, I say we check it in a beta to see if general joy is something that is overtuned

19 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Problem is, I've been asking for repairable glommer for so long, I'm convinced klei thinks it's an overpowered mechanic that will make survival trivial. 

If happiness causes the game to be unbalanced, I say we check it in a beta to see if general joy is something that is overtuned

I think glommer should start a quest for us to follow her as she looks for the resources to rebuild her statue. (Kinda like pipspook with wendy)

If someone mines the glommer statue, one krampus should spawn every time you mine it (not break it but actually hit it with pickaxe at all). Be a nice unique way to farm a few krampi.

It's not necessary. There are mods that already put in community ideas in the game that everyone uses, loves and want. It's even more clearer than experimental features to tell what players want, and yet the most popular and reasonable are still not implemented.

Spoiler

Geometric placement:
image.jpeg.8c5c33834a941284bc8a7434c2aaacb9.jpeg

Gesture wheel:
Steam_2.jpg.3c454f69733d7f7f9294206c9f87ff8f.jpg

Too many items ("creative" menu):
Steam_3.jpg.f252f5149f461c0f4d44674cb377cfb4.jpg

No thermal stone durability (yes, debatable):
Steam_4.jpg.e7540ccfc42e120f7bd5c0b98402784b.jpg

Show nicknames:
Steam_5.jpg.3fbc7a4ae2f981003b22cab1510a795f.jpg

Girlfriend:
image.jpeg.8d806bd959f2c3dffeb0e7eed8176294.jpeg

And many others.

15 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

It's not necessary. There are mods that already put in community ideas in the game that everyone uses, loves and want. It's even more clearer than experimental features to tell what players want, and yet the most popular and reasonable are still not implemented.

Reveal hidden contents

Geometric placement:

Gesture wheel:

Show nicknames:

And many others.

I wonder if devs are afraid of stepping on people's toes implementing these things. Obviously they'd be really nice, especially for console players, I'd imagine. But if they try to I'm sure some people might get upset for them 'copying' the mods, or taking away the mods audience, wanting compensation, or anything like that. At the end of the day I think official implementation is the best thing for everybody, but I can see why it might be awkward to navigate.

31 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

"mods"

Reveal hidden contents

Geometric placement:

Gesture wheel:

Show nicknames:

Girlfriend:

And many others.

Opinion discarded.

I hate that I had to be disrespectful there, but mods aren't a valid suggestion to solve a problem. Ever. 

You have to hear this and internalize it. If this is what gets me banned from the forums, so be it. Never suggest that mods be used to solve issues in game.

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

Stick it in the next big beta that is hopefully this thursday rather than giving it it's own beta.

18 minutes ago, SapoLover said:

Explain further. If your ideas were made mods, would they be instantly discarted too?

Yes because it only works on my server

25 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Yes because it only works on my server

I meant that, seeing that there are many great mods which add features most players think as essential, Klei should make the effort to look at them and implement them in the base game in some way. I think there's no reason why a mod like geometric placement is not in the base game as a functional item. I'm not saying "just make your own mod to solve your issue", I'm saying "mods are a reflex of what the community wants. If it's reasonable, they should be added".

4 hours ago, Louru said:

I absolutely agree with this, but I would still like the option to ignore those posts until impressions are better formed. Also, if I recall from my time on the forum, both the hardhat and umbrella were suggested in a less hyper-critical way. I’m not talking about the posts that say “Why doesn’t x do this?” or “Why didn’t Klei think of this.” Those posts are nice, I’m talking about the more drastic posts that illicit negative perceptions. I read all of those posts, but I wish I could have an option to see them separately from other posts. Not really a need, but would improve the beta forum experience.

Actually the umbralla barrier was a suggestion I made specifically because of some very valid hypercritical feedback others had on the update so I wouldn't say that kind of feedback isn't really needed.

2 hours ago, chirsg said:

Opinion discarded.

I hate that I had to be disrespectful there, but mods aren't a valid suggestion to solve a problem. Ever. 

You have to hear this and internalize it. If this is what gets me banned from the forums, so be it. Never suggest that mods be used to solve issues in game.

Hasn't Klei already included mod features into the game already? Locking them out just for being mods seems like a horrible idea.

6 hours ago, Valase said:

I think that this is the reason that the branch "Suggestions and Feedback" exists, so you can suggest and give feedback to things that already are in the live game, while this branch is for anything pertinent to the betas.

Originally.. yes I would have agreed with you, however more recent game updates have been partially influenced purely on suggestions & feedback that was suggested during a beta, and while those suggestions may not have had anything to do with the current beta, some of those suggestions still made it in when that beta went to the live branch. This doesn’t ALWAYS happen mind you, but it has happened several times now.

Sometimes I get the feeling the devs make those changes because they seemed reasonable enough to do (such as making art that isn’t yet HD, HD & so forth) but they’re ultimately NOT brought to the devs attention in suggestions & feedback and are instead more likely to be suggested during a current on-going beta.

I play on Xbox, so any suggestions or changes that happen during a beta will either already be over with and done by the time the update comes to my platform, OR My version of the update after it leaves beta was sent in early for certification & is now outdated and will later get another patch to catch up to the changes made.

There's not been a beta for a while, sure, but I'd assume it's because Klei's going to have something important and/or big for us when the next beta does happen. People were disappointed in the smallness of the CotL crossover update, so perhaps they're taking that to heart and doing something bigger this time around? Give them the time they need to give us the content-filled update we asked for. The last thing we want to do is pressure the devs excessively and make them feel like they can't make anyone happy.

5 hours ago, SapoLover said:

Hide contents

Geometric placement:

Gesture wheel:

Show nicknames:

Girlfriend:

And many others.

I also hate console players and want them to never enjoy the experience i had with those game modifications that enhance my experience greatly.  

20 minutes ago, chirsg said:

- Applying wax to fully grown crops
We should be able to add wax to fully grown crops to make them a permanent decoration. 

Let's add this to my dream beta.

God yes. Id love my roads to be lined up with carrots and pomogranates. Faux garden decoration set peices would be so good to add, especially since we cant uses berry bushes for decor anymore

11 hours ago, chirsg said:

- Applying wax to fully grown crops
We should be able to add wax to fully grown crops to make them a permanent decoration. 

Let's add this to my dream beta.

Huh..? We can already can we not? 

Or do you mean to non-giant veggies and fruit? Like a normal carrot or eggplant or whatever. 

Archived