New Horror mobs

Hey, yeah so this is exactly what the title says. I think more horror mobs would be awesome, I am a person on the forums asking for a thing, and Klei you guys like to listen to your fans right? That's all I'm asking for, go crazy and let the artists do some cool horror mobs! They were so cool and I wish we can see more of them.

I don't think the "body horror" aspect should really take away from just making some good creepy designs, because that's what Don't starve should be, a creepy, unsettling game with some horror aspects. But hey, you can also be lame and not do that, up to you guys...

Ok real talk though. Klei could 100% Just add a "No body horror mode" similar to Grounded's Arachniphobia mode. 

Grounded, as I'm sure most people here know, is a survival game about being really small and fighting mainly bugs; with the most dangerous enemies being spiders. So instead of alienating the thousands of potential players who are arachnophobic, they add a slider that lets you turn spiders into... this

Spoiler

For some players, in-game spiders aren't just scary – they're terrifying

Now I don't think a small set of floating orbs would be appropriate for DST. But the concept is still there. Instead of mutilated and defiled corpses, moontated creatures could simply appear as hue-shifted versions of their living counterpart's sprites. It is, by most accounts, and everyone-wins scenario.

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

But the concept is still there. Instead of mutilated and defiled corpses, moontated creatures could simply appear as hue-shifted versions of their living counterpart's sprites. It is, by most accounts, and everyone-wins scenario.

Thing is: This exact solution was suggested to the devs back in 2019 when the original "Horror mobs too scawy" post was made and... well, we have what we have now

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

they add a slider that lets you turn spiders into... this

Hide contents

Was that supposed to be less or more terrifying?

With all seriousness. I'm all up for creepy looking enemies.

Maybe even visual overhaul to insanity that makes more things eerie and scary both critters and parts of enviroment.

It's about time to balance out some of the cuteness in DST.

Yeah, seeing some inkblight mutation in the caves would be great. Acid rain corruption. So that people will again be afraid to go down. I want to be afraid! =)
Well, not body-horror Darkest Dungeon style, but in DS own style, which is creepy too.
Also i'd love to see new nightmare creatures too, tired of killing crawlers and terrorbeaks all the time.

Klei said they don't want to add new horror mobs, but i think it would help fix this problem.

More pre-riff lunar mobs are kind of needed to make shadow perks more worth it https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/149758-more-pre-riff-lunar-mobs-are-kind-of-needed-to-make-shadow-perks-more-worth-it/

6 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Ok real talk though. Klei could 100% Just add a "No body horror mode" similar to Grounded's Arachniphobia mode. 

Grounded, as I'm sure most people here know, is a survival game about being really small and fighting mainly bugs; with the most dangerous enemies being spiders. So instead of alienating the thousands of potential players who are arachnophobic, they add a slider that lets you turn spiders into... this

Hide contents

Now I don't think a small set of floating orbs would be appropriate for DST. But the concept is still there. Instead of mutilated and defiled corpses, moontated creatures could simply appear as hue-shifted versions of their living counterpart's sprites. It is, by most accounts, and everyone-wins scenario.

That is scarier.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Thing is: This exact solution was suggested to the devs back in 2019 when the original "Horror mobs too scawy" post was made and... well, we have what we have now

I like some scary mobs to show that the moon is not the clear good side just because of it's connotations.

Adding more horror / Lunar creatures feels fitting since now rifts spread their influence across the whole map when they pop up. They transform some types of creatures but not that many, which leaves unused potential.

PS.

More a lucky coincidence but the Moose / Goose can be very helpful when subduing Grazers, honking at and pecking them to the ground. :D

Spoiler

20230726054741_1.thumb.jpg.7468a139debf5415d4fd1165cc122816.jpg20230726054914_1.thumb.jpg.5748426cfc7c5a0cb90e96f5bc854607.jpg

20230726055042_1.thumb.jpg.cb309dd4674c4cab5b5d3d99dff6ccf8.jpg

20230726055045_1.thumb.jpg.c0758f0b4bfb2128d352a41c00829e95.jpg

3 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Klei said they don't want to add new horror mobs, but i think it would help fix this problem.

I don't think the "body horror" aspect should really take away from just making some good creepy designs.

You can do more horror mobs without doing the whole "body horror" thing. You can get away with just twisted versions of creatures. shattered spiders is a great example of this. so yeah i agree more horror mobs even if Klei ditched the body horror thing.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m taking it you’ve never ever EVER watched Mighty Max, Scooby Doo, Courage the Cowardly Dog or even Powerpuff Girls then? 

Show me an example I cannot remember anything scary

1 hour ago, Catteflyterpill said:

This is certainly an opinion. Understandable if some people aren't a fan, but I think plenty of others really liked that direction for designs.

I saw people complain about new spiders looking so much uglier than normal and warrrior. 

And what do you mean by "liked" we haven't had gross shadows yet.  They look like they look like they could fit in in kids' movie, creepy but somehow charming. 

Level 3 Shadow knight is especially good kind of spooky

I mean.. this is just one of many many many examples:

IMG_5850.gif.63867e81d7ac9a8e9ae75f795ff0d0cc.gif

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.bd8e71d397838efb844253de800d453d.jpeg

throughout the whole episode these dudes continuously lost limbs and had eyeballs fall out their socket.

Cartoon Network had these type of shoes air front and center throughout my youth/early teen years.

Even Edd, Ed N Eddy at times had elements of horror.

I think the “cutesy” approach to dst is far far more unfitting than the Mighty-Max Esque mutant mobs we had.. but that’s just my opinion.

despite common belief klei didnt stop making horror mobs because of some weird conspiracy with china's laws, theyve just said it does not fit the direction they wanted to go for with lunar stuff

its like warbucks or that six pointed star wigfrid skin where the community sets up a totally different scenario than the reality

12 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

despite common belief klei didnt stop making horror mobs because of some weird conspiracy with china's laws, theyve just said it does not fit the direction they wanted to go for with lunar stuff

its like warbucks or that six pointed star wigfrid skin where the community sets up a totally different scenario than the reality

I don't think anyone here has actually said anything about china conspiracy's? So why bring it up, you're the one talking about it not us.

If I remember correctly they stopped because some people complained, and they said they went "too far" and are no longer going to continue doing them, that's why the original sprites were changed during the beta for 2 of the horror mobs. Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist.

2 hours ago, WhackE said:

If I remember correctly they stopped because some people complained, and they said they went "too far" and are no longer going to continue doing them, that's why the original sprites were changed during the beta for 2 of the horror mobs. Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist.

image.png.65c270e9b273a91587095d3b4ad3345b.png

Kind of true.

4 hours ago, Ulisesvolador said:

image.png.65c270e9b273a91587095d3b4ad3345b.png

Kind of true.

Huh, well if that's what Klei wants, I guess that's what they want. I just wish we got some creepier stuff, a lot of new stuff has kind of lost that.

7 hours ago, WhackE said:

I don't think anyone here has actually said anything about china conspiracy's? So why bring it up, you're the one talking about it not us.

What did the horror mobs originally look like?

Also they did end up adding the horror birds during the moon storm.

22 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

What did the horror mobs originally look like?

Also they did end up adding the horror birds during the moon storm.

They just had a different more fleshy/gorey palette. It's harder to tell for the Pengulls but the original eyes are redish, where as now they're grey-ish
947126300_horrifficpuppyuwu.jpg.8ebc77173ef6ae1ea7f7c74fae4335f3.jpgimage.png.6a9387e9a002707a50b2d4c05ee25f24.png

1 hour ago, WhackE said:

They just had a different more fleshy/gorey palette. It's harder to tell for the Pengulls but the original eyes are redish, where as now they're grey-ish
947126300_horrifficpuppyuwu.jpg.8ebc77173ef6ae1ea7f7c74fae4335f3.jpgimage.png.6a9387e9a002707a50b2d4c05ee25f24.png

I prefer the new ones that are blue and match lunar much more but they seem fine, though the pengull insides is a little creepy and cool at the same time.

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.bd8e71d397838efb844253de800d453d.jpeg

Well, that's gross. It's cheap way to scare a kid. Once you get used to it's just gross.

Pretty much everything until horror hounds, lunar penguls and new spiders was cutesy and then past it they kept doing cutesy things like ink blights lately, they give the similar cute vibe like hollow knight characters. Not only cutesy things were first to be but cutesy is dominating style so saying it's unfitting is like saying doom could use less demons but more ponies and rainbows.

They even went from thisOld Wortox Portrait? - [Don't Starve Together] General Discussion - Klei  Entertainment Forums to this image.jpeg.94d3df29f2f694b6c0262f644aa71098.jpeg

Archived