More pre-riff lunar mobs are kind of needed to make shadow perks more worth it

There are going to be more post riff lunar mobs for sure, but right now the lunar perks have a flat advantage over the shadow perks since the lunar alignment tag is more useful. Pre riffs, the only lunar mob the alignment is useful on is celestial champion. Everything else is really niche. Yes they give small damage reduction to their own side, but damage is much more impactful.

You end up fighting shadows much more than lunar mobs, and you are often forced to fight them aswell.

Feel free to discuss what kind of mobs you would like to see that would help fix this problem.

Edit: Found out crab king is lunar aligned too, but still only 2 bosses is not enough, compared to the shadow aligned enemies, which have 3 bosses, shadow creatures, ruins clockworks and more riff enemies aswell.

Also to add, i feel like the tags often matter more than the skill themself in alot of cases. For example, the ability for the shadow skill for Woodie which makes shadows neutral in his were forms is overall better than the Lunar one, which is only really qol useful for Moonstorms and often the curse embracer skill can be enough for Wickerbottom full moons.

But, the lunar tag is enough for the moon skill to be better than the shadow one(Not saying the lunar ability shouldn't have this, it should have it so it is not just the moon thing, but i am saying the tag often matters more). This is the same as Wilson(Lunar transmutations are arguably better though), and Wolfgang. So far this is kind of the case for every skill tree character who has the option to decide between the two, and it would be nice for the shadow tag to have more use.

46 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Are werepigs lunar aligned? You could maybe slap the lunar tag onto them considering they transform on full moons.

They are not currently. Here is a full list of lunar-aligned mobs:

Spoiler
  • Carrat
  • Saladmander
  • Naked Mole Bat
  • Mush Gnome
  • Shattered spider
  • Horror hound
  • Moonrock Pengull
  • Lunar Wobster
  • Moonblind crow
  • Misshapen bird
  • Crab King
  • Imposing claw
  • Celestial Champion
  • Gestalt
  • Greater gestalt
  • Brightshade gestalt
  • Deadly brightshade
  • Tunneling vine
  • Grazer
  • Tentacle from Lunar Guardian II

we do have quite a few lunar aligned mobs, but most of them are passive or can be ignored, I think that we could have some more lunar monsters, maybe something like a lunar version of the nightmare creatures (that attack and can be attacked).

currently we have:
-CK(a boss);

-Mushgnome( is in the caves);

-mole bat( is in the caves);

- lightfly, saladmander, carrat( all passive);

- lunar spiders, hounds and pengulls (all aggressive but you have to go through some hops to encounter them);

-moontaded birds(all aggressive but you have to go through some hops to encounter them).

-CC( endgame boss);

-shades( only comes after CC, unless you activate it in the menu);

- those little guys from the rift( can't be killed for anything meaningful).

what is funny is that I believe that we have more lunar mobs than shadow ones, but the shadow one are more common to come after you.

10 hours ago, Arcwell said:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Carrat
  • Saladmander
  • Naked Mole Bat
  • Mush Gnome
  • Shattered spider
  • Horror hound
  • Moonrock Pengull
  • Lunar Wobster
  • Moonblind crow
  • Misshapen bird
  • Crab King
  • Imposing claw
  • Celestial Champion
  • Gestalt
  • Greater gestalt
  • Brightshade gestalt
  • Deadly brightshade
  • Tunneling vine
  • Grazer

Wait are the sea weeds not lunar aligned? Why? They need a full moon to transform!

19 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Wait are the sea weeds not lunar aligned? Why? They need a full moon to transform!

Sea weeds are not lunar aligned. Dunno why, but "lunar_aligned" does not appear anywhere in their lua file. Same goes for bulbous lightbugs, ancient sentrypede, dust moth, and the ghosts that spawn from full moons.

Not enough lunar mobs?

Geez, if only Klei had introduced a brand new type of moon-mutated mobs all the way back in 2019 and consistently expanded upon that idea for the past 4 years. Maybe then we wouldn't have this issue

Welp, can't reverse time I suppose

15 hours ago, Arcwell said:

Hide contents
  • Carrat
  • Saladmander
  • Naked Mole Bat
  • Mush Gnome
  • Shattered spider
  • Horror hound
  • Moonrock Pengull
  • Lunar Wobster
  • Moonblind crow
  • Misshapen bird
  • Crab King
  • Imposing claw
  • Celestial Champion
  • Gestalt
  • Greater gestalt
  • Brightshade gestalt
  • Deadly brightshade
  • Tunneling vine
  • Grazer

Never knew about crab king that is cool, but still only 2 bosses is prettly low compared to the shadow aligned enemies who have both more bosses, more riff enemies, and more pre riff enemies, and nightmare creatures too. Also the ruins clockworks too, alot. I think if they made were pigs lunar aligned it could help a decent amount though it still would need more.

I also think giving Splumonkeys the Shadow tag would help aswell, since you would rather take less damage from Monkeys than deal more damage to them.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Not enough lunar mobs?

Geez, if only Klei had introduced a brand new type of moon-mutated mobs all the way back in 2019 and consistently expanded upon that idea for the past 4 years. Maybe then we wouldn't have this issue

Welp, can't reverse time I suppose

They said they regretted it since it was too horror like which was sad. I think it would help.

15 hours ago, Valase said:

moontaded birds(all aggressive but you have to go through some hops to encounter them).

You already kill the birds in one hit, so the damage reduction from the lunar perk is better. Lunar wins again. Same as the moon walkers from the riffs who can not be killed.

Archived