Jump to content

After so much talk about Power Creep, here we are again.


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Could you IMAGINE being that kind of a person? Who walks into a thread they have no care about, haven't read, don't agree with, and to have the audacity to tell them to go outside and touch grass?

well from what ive read it seems like you walked into an update you didnt care about, didnt read what was even added, and somehow have the audacity to say its actually bad.

if you didnt like the previous refreshes thats fair enough, i hated a few of them aswell, but your post didnt even address what this update specifically did to the game. Skill trees arnt making the game easier for you, they exist as an option you can choose to ignore.

Maybe im biased because the wormwood/woodie changes were ripped straight out of my fantasies, but i think theres a chance you might even enjoy the update after giving it a proper chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, xDpromonick9 said:

how do you just put an argument without backing it up tho. explain yourself further or don't even opiniate.

if you want a challenge just play wes. Have you ever solo'd every boss in the game with wes in a speedrun? then don't complain about "balance" when the only thing it will change if the game is "balanced" is you'll stop being jealous of people having fun with their character and their playstyle while you're there wimping about your "unbalanced" character in a non pvp-game. 

can you imagine having content for free and still complain? I fell like you people need to touch grass or something. Created a stigma in your heads about the game and are now trying to force the developers to act a certain way about absolutely everything if one single thing is not remotely perfect.

Please tell me the DST community isn't going to turn into the DRG community where every single update is immune from any criticism because it's free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Antynomity said:

Please tell me the DST community isn't going to turn into the DRG community where every single update is immune from any criticism because it's free.

It's long since become that, sorry to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

the realistic answer i have for you is that the majority of kiting patterns aren't going to be made different by the type of speedboost that wolfgang was afforded, and the ones that are, ...aren't.. really gonna be worth it to go out of your way to go for, unless you're doing some kind speedrun. Speed is important, sure, in the sense that it feels nice to be able to get from point A to point B in a shorter amount of time, but I wouldn't say anything above default speed (or cane speed in the edge case that is the shadow pieces) is going to be super worthwhile.

I forgot to mention, as well, that wolfgang received a major buff in the way of getting 'work' done quicker, which should certainly be considered when we talk about wolfgang being more or less powerful pre rework.

speed can and will make you kite better because of the bigger window you have to make a 0.1 mistake which can make 100% the difference if you take or not the damage. like wdym.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, xDpromonick9 said:

I guess you also don't know what an analogy is. 

What you said was in such poor taste and is not a good analogy at all. I really wish the confused react was still a thing for scenarios like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xDpromonick9 said:

I guess you also don't know what an analogy is. 

I'm still on the fence about Scrimbles points, like I half agree half don't agree...but what you said was entirely out of pocket, people telling scrimbles to ''touch grass'' or crazy stuff like you just posted, analogy or not, are going too far. 

 

Scrimbles has a point, even if it's not one that I completely agree with, and the discussion is extremely relevant to the game and the direction it's going in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cropo said:

I'm still on the fence about Scrimbles points, like I half agree half don't agree...but what you said was entirely out of pocket, people telling scrimbles to ''touch grass'' or crazy stuff like you just posted, analogy or not, are going too far. 

 

Scrimbles has a point, even if it's not one that I completely agree with, and the discussion is extremely relevant to the game and the direction it's going in.

Thank you.

I won't try to sway your opinion, I just want to thank someone for being reasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NoodlemanNed said:

well from what ive read it seems like you walked into an update you didnt care about, didnt read what was even added, and somehow have the audacity to say its actually bad.

if you didnt like the previous refreshes thats fair enough, i hated a few of them aswell, but your post didnt even address what this update specifically did to the game. Skill trees arnt making the game easier for you, they exist as an option you can choose to ignore.

Maybe im biased because the wormwood/woodie changes were ripped straight out of my fantasies, but i think theres a chance you might even enjoy the update after giving it a proper chance.

Klei have added skill trees that buff characters even further.

Am I wrong? I know what the skill trees contain, but is that basic sentence not a fact?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, goblinball said:

It really isn’t lol

I used to be big into terraria and its modding scene and let me tell you if there’s one thing I learned from that is prioritizing balance just makes things less fun

terraria mods like the calamity mod would nerf tons of stuff such as mounts and multiclassing and self healing along with a ton of weapons in the name of perfect balance and all it did was make all of those items and play styles less fun since part of the reason why they were fun was because of how strong and actually usable they were

don’t get me wrong you do need some balance in a game I’m not asking for pure chaos but like you guys are overhyping it way too much

That would mean they made a poor balance as fun is a important part of balance after all and not all modders have the foresight of what good balance is. And when you take a step back and look at some of the stuff that's been going on and I'm not just talking about skill trees or even just this update we're kinda already neck deep in chaos. Don't starve together is kinda on it's way to genre shift from survival game to power fantasy with superficial threats. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cropo said:

I'm still on the fence about Scrimbles points, like I half agree half don't agree...but what you said was entirely out of pocket, people telling scrimbles to ''touch grass'' or crazy stuff like you just posted, analogy or not, are going too far. 

 

Scrimbles has a point, even if it's not one that I completely agree with, and the discussion is extremely relevant to the game and the direction it's going in.

well I don't understand why is "too much". That's why I made the analogy to begin with. It was effective even if it was "out of pocket" or something like that. 

I guess I can't say those thing online? Even if they like.. Never happened to anyone? Cause like.. I don't know you people??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, xDpromonick9 said:

well I don't understand why is "too much". That's why I made the analogy to begin with. It was effective even if it was "out of pocket" or something like that. 

I guess I can't say those thing online? Even if they like.. Never happened to anyone? Cause like.. I don't know you people??

please try to be nice and reasonable to people even if they're online and not in real life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, xDpromonick9 said:

Try losing your parents first before complaining about not everything being permanent and blaming on the developers.

No this right here is what was very offensive I honestly had a really heated response to this but I decided to take a breath and let it go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xDpromonick9 said:

well I don't understand why is "too much". That's why I made the analogy to begin with. It was effective even if it was "out of pocket" or something like that. 

I guess I can't say those thing online? Even if they like.. Never happened to anyone? Cause like.. I don't know you people??

the guy who wrote the post still haven't talked about the issues that he complained. So I guess there is no reason to keep debating over non-sense "feelings" he has for older characters in a new update which don't even mention his character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, xDpromonick9 said:

I guess I can't say those thing online? Even if they like.. Never happened to anyone? Cause like.. I don't know you people??

man, you literally said "Try losing your parents first before complaining about not everything being permanent", I am shocked you consider this normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

please try to be nice and reasonable to people even if they're online and not in real life

well reading back feels kinda weird LOL my bad. maybe it was actually too much but it was funny tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it makes sense also. like, he can't lose his little character in his little game without getting emotional. like go grow some balls maybe. <- that's what I meant.

also, the discussion went that way because he simply STILL HAVEN'T TALKED ABOUT THE ISSUES....

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

it wasn't

looks like someone who has lost theirs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Klei have added skill trees that buff characters even further.

Am I wrong? I know what the skill trees contain, but is that basic sentence not a fact?

the general point i tried making before is that the new buffs are entirely optional, you dont need to select any perks if theyre too strong for your liking.

and then i also wanted to say that the new perks should at least be tried in game before properly forming an opinion on them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Klei has kept the ''things will make more sense when you get the bigger picture'' for many long years now but I'd say hopefully they can address your concerns. Maybe I've just been playing the game for so long that adding a new and fun skill tree, even if it does have the consequence of making certain parts of the game easier would add variety and interest to different aspects of the game.

 

Any time Klei has tried in their recent updates to make things harder, they make it harder in a way I feel is more frustrating and unfun. Think Dark Souls 2 compared to the other games, it was ''harder'' because they just slapped more high level enemies in the same gank spots and made their engagement completely unfair and encouraged you to break AI and cheese them to get through them.

 

Given the choice of ''Adding new things to make the game cooler, but less involved with challenge'' and ''Here's a bunch of meteors, fire rain, 3 giants spawning at the same time, 20 hound waves per day, enjoy the challenge!''  I'd choose the former any day.

 

Hopefully the third part of the update adds more fun challenges to the game that utilize further character buffs. I think it'd also be cooler if a lot of the perks, not just the shadow and lunar ones needed a specific unlock condition like killing certain giants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NoodlemanNed said:

the general point i tried making before is that the new buffs are entirely optional, you dont need to select any perks if theyre too strong for your liking.

and then i also wanted to say that the new perks should at least be tried in game before properly forming an opinion on them

I played 82 days on wormwood. Feels kinda nice and I think I can say that it ISN'T as overpowered as it seems, but rather extremely fun and entertaining to have so many different options on speedrunning/megabasing the game from here now on. 

The moon shroom sleeping AoE on BQ is real and more unique than the good old panflute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NoodlemanNed said:

the general point i tried making before is that the new buffs are entirely optional, you dont need to select any perks if theyre too strong for your liking.

and then i also wanted to say that the new perks should at least be tried in game before properly forming an opinion on them

about as good an argument as "well you can just not use the crock pot if you think its too good" but go off i guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cropo said:

I know Klei has kept the ''things will make more sense when you get the bigger picture'' for many long years now but I'd say hopefully they can address your concerns. Maybe I've just been playing the game for so long that adding a new and fun skill tree, even if it does have the consequence of making certain parts of the game easier would add variety and interest to different aspects of the game.

In a way, I'm still holding out hope for more difficult content updates, thanks to stuff like the rifts (though, I wish they were less optional, somehow).

 

3 minutes ago, cropo said:

Any time Klei has tried in their recent updates to make things harder, they make it harder in a way I feel is more frustrating and unfun. Think Dark Souls 2 compared to the other games, it was ''harder'' because they just slapped more high level enemies in the same gank spots and made their engagement completely unfair and encouraged you to break AI and cheese them to get through them.


However, I will not tolerate Dark Souls 2 slander in my household!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, xDpromonick9 said:

the guy who wrote the post still haven't talked about the issues that he complained. So I guess there is no reason to keep debating over non-sense "feelings" he has for older characters in a new update which don't even mention his character.

We PAID money for a game that offered a specific experience. The product we paid for has been irreversibly changed to the point it's no longer even the same game. Of course we're going to be upset about it. We were promised - and delivered - an uncompromising survival experience. Unforgiving, challenging, and with a design philosophy based over survival and needing to use traps and gadgets to mete our goals rather than the "hold CTRL+F combat" experience the game has turned into, with each survivor becoming increasingly overpowered enough to completely trivialize most content from day 1.

 

The community that entered the game from the beginning should not be forced to learn how to program to pick up the scraps of the game they once loved in order to try and cobble together something that represents the game they were initially promised. Modding should be a fun way to add extra; not a poor band-aid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...