Rhymes with Play Tidbits on Future Content

The latest Rhymes with play was great and provided a lot of information on what the devs plan on doing for the future. I thought i'd compile them here:

• Scrapbook that can be clicked on in the UI that will contain information on things you encounter in the world like creatures, items, etc
  • Shadow Rifts will spawn in the caves
  • More of a focus on more structured combat interactions (Nightmare Werepig was cited as an example)
  • More focus on player choice in terms of abilities and set bonuses (damage multipliers)
  • Newly added lunar gear will be much stronger in the future after player upgrades
  • Hint that there will be lunar and shadow bosses that spawn from rifts
  • Rifts will be comparatively similar to playing in a new season
  • Plants are the weakest of the planned lunar mobs
  • Every survivor will be able to choose a side like Wilson
  • There will be more uses and needs for using upgraded versions of tools
  • Choosing a side can be changed from an upgraded version of the portal
    • Choosing a side gives you increased defense and more damage against the other side
  • The two sides will eventually interact with each other (Most likely in Part 3)
  • More pure brilliance and pure horror crafts are on the way(they are just scratching the surface currently)
    • Like keeping these resources rare for now (like moonshard used to be)
  • They would like to look at moonstorms in the future to make them less grindy 
  • They are looking into ways to deal with rifts destorying bases (likely in next patch) (Thanks @Duck986)
  • Jason would like to do more stuff in the vein of the Reap What You Sow/ Crafting UI Update where older content is updated and/or expanded
  • V2C has impeccable taste by naming The Forge as the highlight of his time working on DST.

If I missed anything else feel free to add.

Again, this was a great Rhymes with Play, and getting to hear a lot the devs thoughts was something I personally hoped to see. All of this sounded exciting and I can't wait to see what else is in store in the future. 

Just now, Duck986 said:

So bestiary?

Sorta, they did mention creatures specifically. I took it as similar in vein to the built in encyclopedia that ONI has. They mentioned wanting to give players more hints on figuring things out without outright giving quests to help 

Also, they said they will fix the devastating behavior of rifts so they won't destroy bases, and Wagstaff will spawn somewhere in the world if you wouldn't give him a shard for a long time. I'm not sure about the interpretation of the second sentence though.

3 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Wagstaff will spawn somewhere in the world if you wouldn't give him a shard for a long time.

He currently does, he can appear randomly in your world after not handing him a shard. I don't know the full details though some of my peers have caught him wandering the world with the trapped CC container.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Jason would like to do more stuff in the vein of the Reap What You Sow/ Crafting UI Update where older content is updated and/or expanded

This + the name From Beyond + touching the ancient gateway again -> Klei you have the perfect opportunity to add Mumsy and Billy into the game in a cooking RwyS update and connect Gorge's end to RoT's beginning.

I've already talked multiple times about how an update like this should be handled, I'm sure y'all already know.

49 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Sorta, they did mention creatures specifically. I took it as similar in vein to the built in encyclopedia that ONI has. They mentioned wanting to give players more hints on figuring things out without outright giving quests to help 

I thought about this alot more after todays update (& the associated Animated Short..) and it occurred to me that despite me NOT wanting a Step by Step Tutorial in the game- Klei has LITERALLY been giving us these Tutorials for Years in Animated Shorts..

Todays is a Perfect example- It showcases a rift opening up, Wilson & Wigfrid mine the Riftstayls, then use them to craft a Brightsmithy, & then Brightshade weapons/armor.

And it occurred to me that without these Animated shorts people who go into the new updates blind are lost & clueless- However because I’ve been here on the forums, watching these animated Cinematic's, Reading Patch Notes- I understand the game a lot better than I did just going at it blind.

So with all that said: This is going to be Unpopular Opinion but Klei May as well just add this Animated short gameplay previews as the games Actual IN-Game Visual Tutorial Guides.

looking back at previous updates, it Directly shows players how to activate the Archives, how to grow/ care for RWYS Gardens..

Klei may not realize it but these animated shorts with gameplay mixed in ARE the visual Tutorials the game is missing for players who Don’t frequent these Forums.

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Also, they said they will fix the devastating behavior of rifts so they won't destroy bases, and Wagstaff will spawn somewhere in the world if you wouldn't give him a shard for a long time. I'm not sure about the interpretation of the second sentence though.

they also mention that the current behaviour of wagstaff its a bit mesy and that they will tweak it so we might better wait for the next hotfix

8 hours ago, sudoku said:

Scrapbook that can be clicked on in the UI that will contain information on things you encounter in the world like creatures, items, etc

I know that the devs will most probably just utilize creatures' in-game sprites but it would be incredibly cool if we could instead get some sketches, as if the survivors made the illustrations

I have a lot of reservations about what is being planned, especially given the problems with this current content. But it also seems they're aware of these issues and just need more time to work on them, so I'm reserving judgment.

50 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

as if the survivors made the illustrations

that reminded me of RDR 2, where you can make sketches of different notable places, and sketches of Arthur and John differ in quality.

Though different sketches for different characters may be too much for Klei.

12 hours ago, -Variant said:

He currently does, he can appear randomly in your world after not handing him a shard. I don't know the full details though some of my peers have caught him wandering the world with the trapped CC container.

Wait what? You mean outside of moonstorms?

3 hours ago, Duck986 said:

that reminded me of RDR 2, where you can make sketches of different notable places, and sketches of Arthur and John differ in quality.

Though different sketches for different characters may be too much for Klei.

It doesn't have to be this way. That the number of beastiary drawings = number of characters*number of mobs.

Klei is already a bit creative with non-gameplay interactions between the survivors, even if under certain conditions they are a bit awkward. For example, the nautopilot is Wilson's invention, which we know through multiple character quotes. And yet you can craft it in a singleplayer world, without a Wilson around.

Point is:

The drawings could be handled in a simillar manner, just assuming that the survivors are all together.

For example, the page on a regular spider. The main drawing is a somewhat detailed sketch of a spider, indicating that it was made by a more mature survivor. Right above it, without any care for the structure of the page is a scribbled dead spider set on fire, clearly Willow's doing. And in the bottom corner there is a cute, fuzzy, happy spider, made by Webber.

The beastiary- potential artwork and field notes (if also written from a pov of the survivors, not an omniscient, objective narrator) could be a great way to explore the personalities of the survivors. Wanda, constantly in a hurry, bearly makes any appearances in the scrapbook. Every artwork made by Wx-78 is an exploded model. Dragonfly, Lavae and Red Hound are all drawn by Willow, with the pages singed at the corners. Wes sometimes making a cameo by drawing himself, terrified running away from a mob.

Ah man, I'm hyping myself up only to get disappointed, ain't I.

7 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

It doesn't have to be this way. That the number of beastiary drawings = number of characters*number of mobs.

Klei is already a bit creative with non-gameplay interactions between the survivors, even if under certain conditions they are a bit awkward. For example, the nautopilot is Wilson's invention, which we know through multiple character quotes. And yet you can craft it in a singleplayer world, without a Wilson around.

Point is:

The drawings could be handled in a simillar manner, just assuming that the survivors are all together.

For example, the page on a regular spider. The main drawing is a somewhat detailed sketch of a spider, indicating that it was made by a more mature survivor. Right above it, without any care for the structure of the page is a scribbled dead spider set on fire, clearly Willow's doing. And in the bottom corner there is a cute, fuzzy, happy spider, made by Webber.

The beastiary- potential artwork and field notes (if also written from a pov of the survivors, not an omniscient, objective narrator) could be a great way to explore the personalities of the survivors. Wanda, constantly in a hurry, bearly makes any appearances in the scrapbook. Every artwork made by Wx-78 is an exploded model. Dragonfly, Lavae and Red Hound are all drawn by Willow, with the pages singed at the corners. Wes sometimes making a cameo by drawing himself, terrified running away from a mob.

Ah man, I'm hyping myself up only to get disappointed, ain't I.

I need it

Archived