Lunar spillage

Here's an idea I've seen passed around a bit that I support.

Lunar spillage.

I'd love if the Rifts would mutate whatever it passes over instead of destroying it.
Trees to lunetrees, boulders to glass, twigs to their lunar variant, you get the idea.

It'd make them less destructive in a way that's always WAY more visually pleasing, and maybe even a twisted benefit.

It'd also be super sick if the turf had the same properties the Lunar Island has, mutating things that die or pass over it, mobs like Horror Hounds and spiders.
image.thumb.png.17684ecabb3443c24b2e9fb2fd40ca98.png

Would this effect be permanent or would things be reverted back after the rift closes?
I personally feel like permanent change is more thematic to the 'scarring' nature of the rifts, that they actually leave a lasting mark on your world. 

2 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

Would this effect be permanent or would things be reverted back after the rift closes?
I personally feel like permanent change is more thematic to the 'scarring' nature of the rifts, that they actually leave a lasting mark on your world. 

My personal vote?
Permanent.
Because unlike the effects of breaking or uprooting, what it currently does, it can be reverted with Lunar potions if people really wanted it to go back to normal.

27 minutes ago, -Variant said:

My personal vote?
Permanent.
Because unlike the effects of breaking or uprooting, what it currently does, it can be reverted with Lunar potions if people really wanted it to go back to normal.

In that case, I would like to propose some sort of fairly expensive Moontation Remedy you can craft outside of Hallowed nights. Doesn't need to be something the player can just spam around infected areas, just an option for those that don't want to toggle the event on outside of its designated times and don't want to wait for anywhere between a year to a few months.

Of course the lunar potions would still be fairly good since theyre event exclusive, but imo having more options is always a good thing. Also I just really love the idea as a whole.

Yeah, this is (once again) one of those things that feels too obvious not to add, and yet for some reason Klei doesn't want to.

As for mutations themselves:

-Since lunar experiment actually turns flowers into lune trees (and the trees themselves are planted like flowers) I think that maybe regular trees could be turned into some new moon-flowers, that spawn lunar moths

-Since grass isn't a thing on the lunar island and grass turning into geckos isn't lunar-based, maybe it could be uprooted from the ground, but in a literal sense of a levitating effect. Just grass tufts floating in the air

-Beehives into crystalized beehives

-Berry bushes being a blueish tint and the berries blinking like eyes

-Ponds into lunar grotto ponds/hot springs

35 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Permanent.

I'm actually not a fan since this is basically just a different flavor of 'permanently scarring the natural environment'. Sure, it's better than uprooting but it would ultimately look off to have a bunch of lune trees in the middle of your deciduous forest. Not to mention that reverting it all could mean crafting 10 to 30 potions depending on how dense was the area where the rift spawned. My proposition:

-After the rift disappears the effects stay, they don't snap-revert. However they would slowly start to return to normal at irregular speeds, kind of like antlion's sinkholes. Combine this with the previous thread of the turf effects staying behind and we'd end up with a nice visual of the environment healing after a rift. Rift closes, the damage is done but after an entire season everything is back to normal, the last lune tree turned back into a flower and the last crystal vein in the ground disappeared.

I'm sure that it could be programmed so that the rift could give its mutated object some sort of property which would differenttiate them from regular player-planted moon stuff. That property could check isInRiftsVicinity and if not the timer to un-mutate starts and once it runs out the object returns to normal and the property is removed. Or something like that, I dunno, I've yet to start looking at the game's code, seems scary and challenging.

36 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

-After the rift disappears the effects stay, they don't snap-revert. However they would slowly start to return to normal at irregular speeds

I wanted to include this but I didn't out of uncertainty regarding how the rifts are programmed and wanting to keep my first post streamlined.

I'd love for all the rift stuff to stay, personally. And I agree, the turf reverting and leaving behind the moontated stuff would be kinda awkward.

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

I'm actually not a fan since this is basically just a different flavor of 'permanently scarring the natural environment'. Sure, it's better than uprooting but it would ultimately look off to have a bunch of lune trees in the middle of your deciduous forest. Not to mention that reverting it all could mean crafting 10 to 30 potions depending on how dense was the area where the rift spawned. My proposition:

-After the rift disappears the effects stay, they don't snap-revert. However they would slowly start to return to normal at irregular speeds, kind of like antlion's sinkholes. Combine this with the previous thread of the turf effects staying behind and we'd end up with a nice visual of the environment healing after a rift. Rift closes, the damage is done but after an entire season everything is back to normal, the last lune tree turned back into a flower and the last crystal vein in the ground disappeared.

I'm sure that it could be programmed so that the rift could give its mutated object some sort of property which would differenttiate them from regular player-planted moon stuff. That property could check isInRiftsVicinity and if not the timer to un-mutate starts and once it runs out the object returns to normal and the property is removed. Or something like that, I dunno, I've yet to start looking at the game's code, seems scary and challenging.

How about if the cure was only mildly expensive but was like a bomb that would fix a large radius at once?

9 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Though I am curious why the area doesn't swap character's sanity over to lunacy. Technical limitation, design choice, or just overlooked? 

Design choice, methinks. I think they could.

9 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Do you think it should?

Probably not.
The novelty sounds really cool, but even at its max stage the area it'd cover would be too small and the constant snapping in-out of Lunacy would probably give me a seizure with how often you'd be running in-out of their area. Moonstorms are already pretty close to offing me as is...

Additionally it's worth noting that these Gestalts are very different from the ones Alter usually employs. They lack sanity gain, and attack the players and are hostile regardless.
No gestalts attack unless provoked aside from the new ones! The closest are the regular ones, who put you to blissful sleep.

I'd be lying if I didn't think they're different, in a sense.

The only problem I have with this is that invalidates the Lunar Islands entire Existence, and it terraforms existing areas in the game into well uhh.. something else.

This would obviously help empty biomes feel less empty, but it also means more players (mostly noobs) dying to shattered spiders outside of going to Lunar Island.

Its a cool concept, sure.. but it’s basically just turning the main land into Lunar Island.

if this idea ends up used I’d like to see Moon Quay/Unnatural Portal rifts also putting funky Tropical Stuff into the world.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The only problem I have with this is that invalidates the Lunar Islands entire Existence, and it terraforms existing areas in the game into well uhh.. something else.

I don't see how this invalidates the Lunar Island in any way shape or form.

Balancing is typically done with default world settings in mind, enabling them day 1 is a player's choice and as addressed earlier there would be ways around it.

Ignoring the day 1 option, this all happens AFTER the entire Lunar questline.

And yes, that's the point! To terraform the world into something else! That's what the rift is already doing, terraforming the ground and replacing it with Lunar turf.
This is just a far more pleasing way of handling it.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This would obviously help empty biomes feel less empty, but it also means more players (mostly noobs) dying to shattered spiders outside of going to Lunar Island.

Its a cool concept, sure.. but it’s basically just turning the main land into Lunar Island.

But... you need to kill CC to access this, so how is this a problem?

1 hour ago, Paxtonnnn said:

I'm not too sure if I like the idea of things not becoming un-mutated when the rift goes away. Only reason is because I can't imagine it'll look that good seeing Lunar stuff on normal turf

I agree.
Ideally I'd prefer they un-moontate if the turf goes away.
If the turf sticks around[?] then the plants should stick around!

42 minutes ago, yourAnty said:

But... you need to kill CC to access this, so how is this a problem?

Incorrect, ANYONE needs to kill CC.. you could be out on a peaceful fishing trip or be that noob who never leaves base who helps out by tending to the garden or feeding the Birb, In General I do not like it when other players can progress my gameplay FOR ME.

I hate it in RPGs, I hate it in Video Games with a story cutscene I may really want to watch but the other players vote to skip, I hate it in any game, ever.. 

Now personally I won’t have too much of an issue with it in DST cause I only plan to only ever host my own servers in friends only sessions, However-

I don’t want to progress so far into my world and force harder content on my friends to the point that I have to “Delete” one of my 5 limited world save files and start a brand new Day 1 world just so they can play and enjoy the game with me without feeling too Overwhelmed.

This is what Concerns me about updates like this.. I don’t even have to be involved in the Boss fight and players can force world changes upon the world.

Sure, I suppose I can keep deleting one of my five save slots to start a fresh world when I want to play with friends, and just leave the ones that have progressed too far to play in solo sessions.. Or maybe I can toggle them On/Off after activation at my own leisure, but for right now- I’m skeptical of how it works, and I dislike the thought of a Singular player being able to progress the game for everyone else.

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Incorrect, ANYONE needs to kill CC.. you could be out on a peaceful fishing trip or be that noob who never leaves base who helps out by tending to the garden or feeding the Birb, In General I do not like it when other players can progress my gameplay FOR ME.

I hate it in RPGs, I hate it in Video Games with a story cutscene I may really want to watch but the other players vote to skip, I hate it in any game, ever.. 

Now personally I won’t have too much of an issue with it in DST cause I only plan to only ever host my own servers in friends only sessions, However-

I don’t want to progress so far into my world and force harder content on my friends to the point that I have to “Delete” one of my 5 limited world save files and start a brand new Day 1 world just so they can play and enjoy the game with me without feeling too Overwhelmed.

This is what Concerns me about updates like this.. I don’t even have to be involved in the Boss fight and players can force world changes upon the world.

Sure, I suppose I can keep deleting one of my five save slots to start a fresh world when I want to play with friends, and just leave the ones that have progressed too far to play in solo sessions.. Or maybe I can toggle them On/Off after activation at my own leisure, but for right now- I’m skeptical of how it works, and I dislike the thought of a Singular player being able to progress the game for everyone else.

Then... just play alone if you don't want your friend to break your arbitary rules?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then communicate with the other players in some way, I doubt they'd be against having you with them so you could enjoy the content aswell???

Archived